• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The General Bandai-Namco Discussion Thread

Which Bandai-Namco characters would you like to see get in?

• Total voters

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Their inclusion in the taunt is more about them having official sprites made, rather than representing arcade games, Tekken games starting in the arcade before getting console ports aside.
I do wonder what the limit for high-quality sprites would be, seeing as Don-Chan isn't pixelated at all. I'm not sure if Lloyd ever got a 2D appearance, but I'm sure they could use one of Cress' sprites to give a shout-out to Tales. I believe Phantasia did pretty well, especially in Japan, so I could see Cress taking priority over Lloyd in that scenario.
Oh, they totally can; they're just choosing not to.
But why? They're fine with dumping a bunch of old properties into the game they're co-developing, but another fighter is where they draw the line? I don't really see a reason for Bamco being "stingy" when they still threw in a ton of properties.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I kinda wish Namco decides to extend the development of smash DLC just to bring one more fighter from their company and then end the development of smash I think they deserve it after all the work and effort they put into smash 4 and ultimate
maybe they dont wat it

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I see, the best way for Sak to alleviate any possible concerns of him "favoring" any third-party is by asking Grasshopper Manufacture to help make the next Smash game (since Travis Touchdown is the only readily viable character from them anyway). Otherwise we're never going to get a second Bamco character, or other companies will just get the one character in the entire support cycle when they're the chief developers.

Last edited:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
The reason why it's taking so long for Bamco to get a character is because they want to promote the Tales of 25th Anniversary and Tales of Arise which is coming out in September.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Until now, Nintendo was able to ignore IPs from Koei-Tecmo, Level-5, Marvelous (except Travis as a Marvelous/Grasshopper Manufacture rep), and the characters Phoenix Wright and KOS-MOS. Simon Belmont is a very close friend, much anticipated, and he appeared in the base game. Nintendo could have given in to the ease of taking a Namco pick or Agumon, even in the base game with Simon. But not until now. Nintendo remained focused on its extremely selective strategy. Now we wonder if Nintendo is looking towards its friends from the past, or towards its new friends for the future.
The quartet of the first friendly companies (Konami, Sega, Capcom, Namco) were not honored in DLC. Yes, Sega received Joker, but not as a Sega rep: Nintendo would have wanted Joker whatever the company owning Atlus. However, Ultimate has reconnected with his old friends Dragon Quest and Rare, who already had a stake in the animated series Captain N (like Simon).

One thing to consider would be Nintendo's technological backwardness: the company would have a great interest in favoring new alliances that could best help its commercial future. I noticed a possible common point with Bamco. In 2018, Digital and marketing VP Hervé Hoerdt points Bamco wants to create new IPs to exploit like Little Nightmare, and Square Enix as an example of what the company hopes to achieve, citing the firm mix of Japanese and Western IP as "something I envy, to be honest" (link). I think Nintendo would have a similar vision, looking towards its owned IPS, the giant Square Enix and some Western series.

Given the trends, I think Atlus, Square Enix, and Microsoft were great companies to look to.
Below, examples of trends according to Famitsu readers indicate how important Atlus and Squenix are.
Top by Famitsu readers / number of times the companies appear
orange = 4 first friendly compagnies; green = new friends Atlus and Squenix.
Top 10 by consoles, 2016*

Square Enix 42 · Sega 29 · Capcom 19 · Bandai Namco 12 · Konami 11 · Atlus 10 · Sony 8 · Microsoft 7 · Nihon Falcom 4 · Koei Tecmo 3
Top 100 of all time, 2017*

Square Enix 29 · Sega 18 · Atlus 6 · Konami 7 · Spike Chunsoft 7 · Capcom 3 · FromSoftware 2 · Team Ico 2 · Bandai Namco 0
Various top 20 by genres (Action-Adventure° + Adventure
° + Action° + Fighting° + Racing° + RPG° + Shooters° + Simulation°), 2017
Square Enix 21 · Capcom 20 · Sega 16 · Konami 10 · Sony 10 · Spike Chunsoft 6 · Bandai Namco 5 · Arc System Works 3 · Atlus 3 · Koei Tecmo 3 · FromSoftware 2 · SNK 2
Top 20 of all time by non-japanese readers, 2017*

Square Enix 4 · Atlus 3 · Capcom 3 · Konami 3 · FromSoftware 2 · Koei Tecmo 1 · Sega 1
Top 20 of Heisei Era, 2019*

Square Enix 10 · Capcom 2 · Konami 2
Top 5 of Songs, 2019*
Square Enix 4 (Chrono 2, Final Fantasy 2) · Capcom (Okami) 1
ALL
Final Fantasy 41 (Final Fantasy VII 6) · Dragon Quest 22 · Megami Tensei (6) + Persona (14) 20 · Metal Gear 16 · Sakura Wars 12 · Monster Hunter 11 · Drakengard / NieR 9 · Resident Evil 9 · Yakuza 8 · Chrono 7 · Kingdom Hearts 6 · Street Fighter 6 · Ace Attorney 5 · Okami 5 · Shenmue 5 · Sonic the Hedgehog 5 · SaGa 5 · Xenogears 4 (Xenosaga 0) · Mega Man 3 · Suikoden 3 · Souls 3 · Bayonetta 2 · Mana 2 · Soul 2 · Tales 2 · Devil May Cry 1 · Tekken 1 · Castlevania 0 (like Metroid) · Pac-Man 0

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Until now, Nintendo was able to ignore IPs from Koei-Tecmo, Level-5, Marvelous (except Travis as a Marvelous/Grasshopper Manufacture rep), and the characters Phoenix Wright and KOS-MOS. Simon Belmont is a very close friend, much anticipated, and he appeared in the base game. Nintendo could have given in to the ease of taking a Namco pick or Agumon, even in the base game with Simon. But not until now. Nintendo remained focused on its extremely selective strategy. Now we wonder if Nintendo is looking towards its friends from the past, or towards its new friends for the future.
The quartet of the first friendly companies (Konami, Sega, Capcom, Namco) were not honored in DLC. Yes, Sega received Joker, but not as a Sega rep: Nintendo would have wanted Joker whatever the company owning Atlus. However, Ultimate has reconnected with his old friends Dragon Quest and Rare, who already had a stake in the animated series Captain N (like Simon).

One thing to consider would be Nintendo's technological backwardness: the company would have a great interest in favoring new alliances that could best help its commercial future. I noticed a possible common point with Bamco. In 2018, Digital and marketing VP Hervé Hoerdt points Bamco wants to create new IPs to exploit like Little Nightmare, and Square Enix as an example of what the company hopes to achieve, citing the firm mix of Japanese and Western IP as "something I envy, to be honest" (link). I think Nintendo would have a similar vision, looking towards its owned IPS, the giant Square Enix and some Western series.

Given the trends, I think Atlus, Square Enix, and Microsoft were great companies to look to.
Below, examples of trends according to Famitsu readers indicate how important Atlus and Squenix are.
Top by Famitsu readers / number of times the companies appear
orange = 4 first friendly compagnies; green = new friends Atlus and Squenix.
Top 10 by consoles, 2016*

Square Enix 42 · Sega 29 · Capcom 19 · Bandai Namco 12 · Konami 11 · Atlus 10 · Sony 8 · Microsoft 7 · Nihon Falcom 4 · Koei Tecmo 3
Top 100 of all time, 2017*

Square Enix 29 · Sega 18 · Atlus 6 · Konami 7 · Spike Chunsoft 7 · Capcom 3 · FromSoftware 2 · Team Ico 2 · Bandai Namco 0
Various top 20 by genres (Action-Adventure° + Adventure
° + Action° + Fighting° + Racing° + RPG° + Shooters° + Simulation°), 2017
Square Enix 21 · Capcom 20 · Sega 16 · Konami 10 · Sony 10 · Spike Chunsoft 6 · Bandai Namco 5 · Arc System Works 3 · Atlus 3 · Koei Tecmo 3 · FromSoftware 2 · SNK 2
Top 20 of all time by non-japanese readers, 2017*

Square Enix 4 · Atlus 3 · Capcom 3 · Konami 3 · FromSoftware 2 · Koei Tecmo 1 · Sega 1
Top 20 of Heisei Era, 2019*

Square Enix 10 · Capcom 2 · Konami 2
Top 5 of Songs, 2019*
Square Enix 4 (Chrono 2, Final Fantasy 2) · Capcom (Okami) 1
ALL
Final Fantasy 41 (Final Fantasy VII 6) · Dragon Quest 22 · Megami Tensei (6) + Persona (14) 20 · Metal Gear 16 · Sakura Wars 12 · Monster Hunter 11 · Drakengard / NieR 9 · Resident Evil 9 · Yakuza 8 · Chrono 7 · Kingdom Hearts 6 · Street Fighter 6 · Ace Attorney 5 · Okami 5 · Shenmue 5 · Sonic the Hedgehog 5 · SaGa 5 · Xenogears 4 (Xenosaga 0) · Mega Man 3 · Suikoden 3 · Souls 3 · Bayonetta 2 · Mana 2 · Soul 2 · Tales 2 · Devil May Cry 1 · Tekken 1 · Castlevania 0 (like Metroid) · Pac-Man 0
now that is over thinking it

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This is your reminder than Rondoline is the best Bandai Namco representative:
I recall she isn't even the main protagonist of her game.

"But Minm-"

The creator stated that everyone is the protagonist in ARMS. Big difference.

Also totally "Too lewd for Smash" Just look how much skin she's exposing.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I recall she isn't even the main protagonist of her game.

"But Minm-"

The creator stated that everyone is the protagonist in ARMS. Big difference.

Also totally "Too lewd for Smash" Just look how much skin she's exposing.
As long as she’s wearing pants, CERO won’t mind. Remember, Mai looks like she’s going commando which is why Sakurai didn’t include her lest he invoke CERO’s wrath, and then there’s Heihachi’s fundoshi alt he mentioned in the initial interview where Heihachi was mentioned

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I kinda wish Namco decides to extend the development of smash DLC just to bring one more fighter from their company and then end the development of smash I think they deserve it after all the work and effort they put into smash 4 and ultimate
Every other 3rd party in Smash has 3 fighters besides Microsoft and SNK. Bandai-Namco deserves 3 fighters as Smash 4 and Ultimate wouldn't be a thing without them.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Every other 3rd party in Smash has 3 fighters besides Microsoft and SNK. Bandai-Namco deserves 3 fighters as Smash 4 and Ultimate wouldn't be a thing without them.
Sakurai can take a break when he is done with this fighter pass and leave the namco rep up to the developers to make it and finish to release it when its ready pretty sure Namco can handle this task on their own.
even though this sounds unlikely to happen there is still 3 stages left empty on screen after the fighter pass is done.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Assuming that rumored extra slot on the site is a bonus fighter, I’m thinking that bonus may be the echo of CP11

a couple setups I can think of if CP11 is from Namco is: Nightmare (Siegfried echo) or KOS-MOS (T-elos echo)

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Hey guys, I just had a pretty crazy thought. What if we had some Point Blank or Time Crisis representation for Smash?

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Probably Spirits at best.
You’re probably right. I think Bandai Namco light gun games' best bet for Smash representation would be Spirits. Heck, ANY light gun games would probably be Spirits in Smash. I couldn’t, for the life of me, think of what sort of moveset a light gun character would have. Then again, Duck Hunt is in Smash.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Assuming that rumored extra slot on the site is a bonus fighter, I’m thinking that bonus may be the echo of CP11

a couple setups I can think of if CP11 is from Namco is: Nightmare (Siegfried echo) or KOS-MOS (T-elos echo)
If the bonus slot truly exist, I highly doubt they are going to waste that last fighter on a Echo especially if it's a last minute surprise.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
The brand synergy is a hit and miss but mostly a miss (Doom had an anniversary around TGA and bam! it's Sephiroth), Tales isn't the only game who celebrate their anniversary around this year and sometimes there's bigger fish to fry. I'm not buying that assumption even if it's easier to grasp.

Top Bottom