• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Party general support thread

Calamitas

Smash Champion
with all the deconfirming going about, did they rule out 1st party characters for fp5?
Nope. Considering how relatively few people actually speculate FP5 being first-party, they probably consider it to be beneath there notice.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Someone should ask a leaker if the character is a first party just so we can rip off that bandaid, lol.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I mean, same, but people are generally stll bending over backwards to dismiss possible first-party additions.
Personally, I'm still keeping first-parties on the table (I mean, even Jon from GameXplain thinks they still have a chance), but just because all the big name third-parties have been deconfirmed doesn't mean third-parties in general are, too. Remember, most people had never heard of SNK until Terry was announced. It's very much possible we could have another situation like that. That being said, we're all in a state of uncertainty at the moment, just like this time last year. Hopefully, if the Game Awards do have a Smash announcement, it's both Fighter 5 and the next character, as unlikely as that is.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
With all these possible disconfirmations of (although to be fair the Capcom one is still a bit dicey since neither Sabi or Vergeben have vouched for it yet) front runner third parties a part of me is definitely starting to suspect a character like Edelgard or an Astral Chain character could be the final fighter pass character. (or Rex & Pyra I guess)

Watch it end up being Waluigi now.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Anyone else really hope that Vergeben is wrong now? Like, I know that there's still post-pass DLC, but I still don't like where this is going.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Anyone else really hope that Vergeben is wrong now? Like, I know that there's still post-pass DLC, but I still don't like where this is going.
To be fair, Nintendo was deconfirmed since Joker was revealed. All the Vergeben leak did was help verify that precedent. Even if is was fake (which it 99% isn't), we wouldn't have stood a chance anyway.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
To be fair, Nintendo was deconfirmed since Joker was revealed. All the Vergeben leak did was help verify that precedent. Even if is was fake (which it 99% isn't), we wouldn't have stood a chance anyway.
I'd hardly consider that incredibly vague PR statement by Reggie at last year's VGA to be proper deconfirmation of any kind.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
While I'm cool with third party characters in Smash, seeing as I was hyped when Terry Bogard was announced, I still support Nintendo's own characters for Smash Ultimate. Heck, I still wanna see Bandana Dee or a Pilotwings character such as Lark or Kiwi as a DLC character in Smash. I would love to build a team that includes Bandana Dee and Terry. (I'm one of those people who thought it was pretty cool Daisy got into Smash even if she was never in a mainline Mario platformer game.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pretty sure Byleth will be released or announced for DLC whenever Three Houses's final DLC with the new story comes up. I'm about 99% confident in Byleth now.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Pretty sure Byleth will be released or announced for DLC whenever Three Houses's final DLC with the new story comes up. I'm about 99% confident in Byleth now.
I think the lack of a three houses spirit event is quite telling. Honestly three houses deserves a rep considering how great the game was.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I admire your confidence buuut...
I have a feeling a spirit board of 3H could be coming up at any moment now. If spirits mean = not playable, that's not a good sign.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, since Vergeben backed up from his insane kill-list. . . I honestly have to say that I do have some hope that FP5 is a first-party character.

I admire your confidence buuut...
I have a feeling a spirit board of 3H could be coming up at any moment now. If spirits mean = not playable, that's not a good sign.
But why now, and not five months ago, when Three Houses first came out? Other Nintendo games got their post-launch Spirits close to their release, too.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Still would rather have Claude or Eldegard or some weird Pokemon Trainer style character with all 3 house leaders than a 4th blue haired swordsman and 3rd blank slate avatar FE character...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Indie World presentation is coming tomorrow so what do you guys expect to see? I'm expecting to finally hear the release date for Shantae and the Seven Sirens.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Here's a question that may somewhat relate to first: how far ahead were these Spirit Events decided? For example, did they decide to add Pokemon Sword/Shield Spirits before or after Season 2 began development? And more importantly, what does that mean for games like Fire Emblem: Three Houses or Astral Chain, which didn't have Spirit Events?

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Here's a question that may somewhat relate to first: how far ahead were these Spirit Events decided? For example, did they decide to add Pokemon Sword/Shield Spirits before or after Season 2 began development? And more importantly, what does that mean for games like Fire Emblem: Three Houses or Astral Chain, which didn't have Spirit Events?
Tetris 99 got spirits and that game came out a year before the spirits were added in the game.
Resident Evil also got spirits, despite RE2 remake coming out several months prior.
Because of this, I'm willing to bet that it's only a matter of time 3H and AC got their spirit boards as well. Why didn't they do them earlier? Who knows, but again if we're going by the "new worlds/franchises" thing Reggie and Sakurai said, they probably will get them whenever Sakurai feels like adding them. AC is in less danger due to being a new IP, but depending on when the post fighter pack chars were planned, they're probably off the table too due to coming out too late. IIRC, Platinum Games didn't expect the IP to do well either, so I doubt they thought it'd be a good pick for Smash. OFC it's doing well now, but again Sakurai nor Platinum could predict the game's success, you know?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Still would rather have Claude or Eldegard or some weird Pokemon Trainer style character with all 3 house leaders than a 4th blue haired swordsman and 3rd blank slate avatar FE character...
Byleth isn't really blank state. Neither are Robin and Corrin. Byleth also doesn't keep blue hair for all the game's duration, and has way more to offer than just a sword, and even IF they'd make them a swordfighter, the Sword of the Creator is unique enough to warrant Byleth's inclusion. Also, there's brawling, gambits, white magic and black magic to take into account.

A Pokémon Trainer styled Byleth also wouldn't really work, unless you make your distinct choice before each fight which House Leader you take into battle. Then again, I have doubt this will be anything but balanced.

Top Bottom