• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Party general support thread

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Alright, so let's say we get a Kirby fighter, who would you most want? I'm kind of biased to my Dark Meta Knight since I've thought up so many ideas for him (making him more representative of Meta Knight/sword Kirby from the games and his Star Allies appearance), but Plant also really made me open up to Bandana Dee.
Bandana Waddle Dee is the obvious choice and whilst I do support him due to his relatively big icon status and similar description to Toad(as the generic species member of the team) I got to confess I've got a soft spot for Gooey, the original second player character. His face is just goofy and he'd be the most amusing Kirby semi clone ever.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Bandana Waddle Dee is the obvious choice and whilst I do support him due to his relatively big icon status and similar description to Toad(as the generic species member of the team) I got to confess I've got a soft spot for Gooey, the original second player character. His face is just goofy and he'd be the most amusing Kirby semi clone ever.
Kirby would finally get a clone of his own (series) after Jigglypuff in the original N64 game!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
so chibi-robo anyone?
Right here, my friend. To this day, I still feel like Corrin's spot as Smash 4's ONLY 1st party DLC newcomer should have gone to the little guy. After a string of questionable promotion for his games as well as his games themselves varying in quality, the poor little guy DESPERATELY needed a bone thrown to him.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Sure. The crossover platform fighting game that is still primarily focussed on Nintendo history just has to go out of its way to not acknowledge one of the Wii U's major titles. despite including content from it in the first place. Sounds totally reasonable.
And I wasn't talking about just Samus' design, but other things such as music and Spirits. As far as I know, the soundtrack of Other M isn't popular by any means, either, and yet three songs still made it in.

What he said.
Yeah, but aren't all the Other M songs hold overs from 4? It would arguably make less sense not to include them.

Also, if you haven't noticed, they don't really go out of their way to mention X outside of that one challenge pack for 2. There is just not much love for it at Nintendo it seems.
It may be a 4th Link but tbh I'd main him. Hate what they did to the regular Link in this game.
Yeah, I don't like how specific he is to BotW (to be fair, I actually didn't care for the game that much). I mean, yeah, TP Link had the Gale Boomerang, but that was one move. They even replaced his FS with that pathetic ancient arrow (though, he never apparently had a piece of the Triforce).
I
...what did he mean by this?
Essentially, yeah, Plant is less unique than Bandana Dee, so bring it on. Plant is also potentially in my top 5 newcomers. Along with Ridley, K.Rool, and Chrom.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Essentially, yeah, Plant is less unique than Bandana Dee, so bring it on. Plant is also potentially in my top 5 newcomers. Along with Ridley, K.Rool, and Chrom.
I like Piranha Plant a lot, lol. I just don't like the hat goomba meme.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Right here, my friend. To this day, I still feel like Corrin's spot as Smash 4's ONLY 1st party DLC newcomer should have gone to the little guy. After a string of questionable promotion for his games as well as his games themselves varying in quality, the poor little guy DESPERATELY needed a bone thrown to him.
i wonder how the fandom would have reacted to him if we got him instead of corrin

i agree with the sentiment but i liked the four of them i played

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So much this. Imagine if instead of promoting a game that really didn't need it, they used that promotion to try and help Chibi not get killed?

Probably wouldn't have made Zip-Lash sell - that would require a miracle - but it would have raised his profile and maybe the franchise wouldn't be over. Even if it were, at least he'd be in Smash.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Yeah, but aren't all the Other M songs hold overs from 4? It would arguably make less sense not to include them.

Also, if you haven't noticed, they don't really go out of their way to mention X outside of that one challenge pack for 2. There is just not much love for it at Nintendo it seems.
Uh-huh. And do tell me, where could they possibly have mentioned it outside of Smash?

And funny that you should mention that DLC for 2 - that DLC actually got the most marketing and attention out of any pre-release content for 2 that wasn't Torna the Golden Country, and also more than any of the other crossovers. Shulk and Fiora where shown for a bit during a livestream, KOS-MOS and T-ELOS were just there without much fanfare - and Elma got her own trailer, and a reveal in a livestream.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The "doom and gloom" part stems from the fact that if there are no first party characters as DLC, Ultimate will have more third party unique newcomers than first party ones. That's a worrying trend if it keeps up and we'd like to nip it in the bud. Sure, 15 out of 82 ain't much, but 6 out of 12 is already quite a lot and it might end up being something like 11 out of 17.

As for Three Houses, I'd love to see Byleth join the fray, along with characters like Officer Howard, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, hell I even support guys like Snip & Clip. You can even find posts in the main newcomer thread where I speak about the importance of supporting Nintendo's new IPs. So again, it would seem like you just can't fathom everyone here not having 100% the same taste in characters.
It's less I can't fathom people not having the same taste in characters and more I don't understand why people aren't treating more of the first party inclusions as a win. If you're fighting against the norm, I feel like you have to take every win you get even if that's not necessarily what you want. And like Piranha Plant is a super unique, essentially deep cut (in that they act outside the norm of what is expected) that happens to be known to lots of people and does bring something different to the roster. I guess the Plant hate for not being a "more requested fighter" is sort of the issue I have with people. Not every addition is going to be to your liking of course, but the outrage against Plant just doesn't pair well with a push for first parties that people often cite as more interesting and unique than the top dogs of third parties like the post I'll quote below.

And my big thing is, I'm not looking at who they're adding in what ratio at this point. I'm looking at the bigger picture of the roster. I feel like Nintendo has gotten so much love over the years and I'm more than content with what we have on that side of things. Would I like to see every first party franchise with a playable rep? Sure. But do I care enough about that to choose them over third parties that are probably going to bring Nintendo better outcomes in an era when we know this is the best we'll probably ever be able to get for third party crossovers? Not so much. Like, your hypothetical 11/17 still doesn't even get us to 25% third party and that just will never strike me as a problem.

I agree with this thread's sentiment. Not to gatekeep all third party characters, because there still are some cool ones out there, or diminish legitimate personal character wants, but I really don't like how every fan poll now seems to have devolved into a soulless/mechanical list of "who are big non-Nintendo names that will sell as DLC." Video game companies have multi-million dollar marketing budgets for their games, they don't need slavish fans to do their job for them.

Characters also aren't inherently interesting just because Nintendo doesn't own them -- the talking point of "all the important first party characters already are added" rings hollow when third party suggestions tend to be the generic protagonists of those series. Not that every first party candidate would be great either, of course, some of the new and relevant names on people's tongues would go over like a wet fart.

From my perspective, instead, Sakurai now has the opportunity to spread his wings creatively and add more side- or one-off Nintendo candidates from veteran series, and representatives from untapped first party series. Smash is a Nintendo All-Star crossover in its bones, so anything to flesh out the number of match-ups you can do within and among its series would be great.
I mean, isn't this discounting that people just enjoy playing as their favorite characters regardless of "how interesting" other first party options might be. They may be generic protagonists, but people adore them and want to see them in the big giant crossover fighting game in spades. It's not really soulless when tons of people just genuinely like all these third parties or are able to recognize how many people will be happy with their inclusions beyond themselves.

I don't know, I just think change and evolution is natural and that this is the next phase for Nintendo. And the one after this makes sense to actually be non video game characters in an even more impressive and unique crossover mannerism like I've mentioned Shonen Jump vs Smash Bros. or even Marvel vs Smash Bros. I'm all for Smash to keep expanding and becoming more inclusive as a franchise.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So much this. Imagine if instead of promoting a game that really didn't need it, they used that promotion to try and help Chibi not get killed?

Probably wouldn't have made Zip-Lash sell - that would require a miracle - but it would have raised his profile and maybe the franchise wouldn't be over. Even if it were, at least he'd be in Smash.
chibi's not dead

not if i have anything to say about it

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's less I can't fathom people not having the same taste in characters and more I don't understand why people aren't treating more of the first party inclusions as a win. If you're fighting against the norm, I feel like you have to take every win you get even if that's not necessarily what you want. And like Piranha Plant is a super unique, essentially deep cut (in that they act outside the norm of what is expected) that happens to be known to lots of people and does bring something different to the roster. I guess the Plant hate for not being a "more requested fighter" is sort of the issue I have with people. Not every addition is going to be to your liking of course, but the outrage against Plant just doesn't pair well with a push for first parties that people often cite as more interesting and unique than the top dogs of third parties like the post I'll quote below.
There are several reasons why people can hate Piranha Plant. Some might attribute the notion that 'first parties are scraping the bottom of the barrel' to it getting in. Some might dislike its moveset. Some might feel like a mook getting in is missing the point of the series.

But I fail to see how not liking one character makes anyone a hypocrite, or what point you're even trying to make.
But do I care enough about that to choose them over third parties that are probably going to bring Nintendo better outcomes in an era when we know this is the best we'll probably ever be able to get for third party crossovers? Not so much.
You don't but we do. Is that so hard to accept?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Uh-huh. And do tell me, where could they possibly have mentioned it outside of Smash?

And funny that you should mention that DLC for 2 - that DLC actually got the most marketing and attention out of any pre-release content for 2 that wasn't Torna the Golden Country, and also more than any of the other crossovers. Shulk and Fiora where shown for a bit during a livestream, KOS-MOS and T-ELOS were just there without much fanfare - and Elma got her own trailer, and a reveal in a livestream.
The mere fact Torna exists demonstrates the gap between the two. If you think that this of all things is likely to be the only other first party DLC, I think you are deluding yourself with your own bias. Just...why? Why pick the least popular entry from a niche series? If they don't have faith in any other first parties to sell, why on Earth would they pick one of their weakest? Especially if they're saving it for #5.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
The mere fact Torna exists demonstrates the gap between the two. If you think that this of all things is likely to be the only other first party DLC, I think you are deluding yourself with your own bias. Just...why? Why pick the least popular entry from a niche series? If they don't have faith in any other first parties to sell, why on Earth would they pick one of their weakest? Especially if they're saving it for #5.
Tbf, "saving it" for #5, if anything, could be because it's much weaker than the preceding fighters that were revealed first to get the hypest reveals out first; just look at how Incineroar was the grand finale to superior picks.

Gosh I hope "biggest crossover in gaming goal" doesn't absolutely, definitively throw out at least one first party, at least those that would be full-on new fighter franchises to still fit that statement. Again, we almost got Rhythm in Smash 4, but I don't know if it already being represented in the game discounts it from that crossover goal/DLC in general, ugh...

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I know I keep saying it's down to Euden and Howard Twins if anyone, but I realized there might be a 3rd: Axe from Little Town Hero (which for some reason might not have Megalovania). Little Town Hero wasn't received so well (from what I heard at least [not just because of Pokemon controversy, but I think the reviews from critics aren't too good either]), so I could see them trying to promote him like Corrin. What do you guys think? How good/likely would he be?

Edit: It's actually 3rd party

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Again, we almost got Rhythm in Smash 4, but I don't know if it already being represented in the game discounts it from that crossover goal/DLC in general, ugh...
But the game doesn't have a Rhythm Heaven rep.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I know I keep saying it's down to Euden and Howard Twins if anyone, but I realized there might be a 3rd: Axe from Little Town Hero (which for some reason might not have Megalovania). Little Town Hero wasn't received so well (from what I heard at least [not just because of Pokemon controversy, but I think the reviews from critics aren't too good either]), so I could see them trying to promote him like Corrin. What do you guys think? How good/likely would he be?
The battle system sounded interesting to me but apparently in execution it's garbage + everything else about the game is just lifeless and since it's a Game Freak game and not Nintendo, I could see it getting a spirit similar to Daemon X Machina and that's about it.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
i wonder how the fandom would have reacted to him if we got him instead of corrin

i agree with the sentiment but i liked the four of them i played
Me too.

Also, I'm sorry. I should have been more specific as his games are all pretty darn good, I think I was really just referring to the promotion AND distribution of his games.

This is ALWAYS what I think. I really thought that after the bad rap Zip-Lash was getting, it would have culminated in Chibi being added to Smash 4, instead of Corrin.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Little Town Hero isn't first party.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Little Town Hero isn't first party.
Really? I thought it was as much Nintendo as Kirby or Pokemon are (they're second party, but let's be honest: by 1st party we mean Nintendo in general or else we wouldn't allow talking about Bandana Dee or Gen 8 Pokemon). Is LTH actually 3rd party? Is there a source for it being 3rd party?

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I wouldn't quite say there are a ton of potential IPs. There are a bunch of one-offs with no support base and no future with Nintendo, and quite frankly most of those characters are not great DLC options. Like Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven are probably the biggest two series left for Nintendo to include, and that speaks to where we're at with first parties. Dixie Kong and Toad are the biggest we have left for individual fighter additions, and that sort of thing again speaks to how much Smash has already done in including characters.
Whether or not you have a point here is meaningless because I was referring to past tense. "Before Snake was announced for Brawl" is the major point. Context matters...

I'm not really trying to stop speculation on first party newcomers, I just wholly disagree that they're likely beyond maybe one or two options and I think third parties make more sense as inclusions. That's not stopping speculation, that's people just being not interested in them once the board opened up in terms of options. I'm not interested in talking about first parties all that much, and many people share that thought. We can occasionally push back harder than we should and we're humans with flaws, but it's mostly just been people less interested in at this point, which you have to admit, makes a lot of sense given what we're working with in terms of who is even left first party wise. There just aren't many Nintendo characters that have that larger and wide appeal left, and they just don't excite as many people in the same way that even Ridley could.
There is a difference in behavior between "lack of interest" and "actively trying to define the debate." I have experience with this debating politics. If you truly had a lack of interest in first-party inclusions, you would've saw this thread, knew what it was gonna be about and said "**** it, in the spirit of the OP I'll let them have their talks" but you didn't. No good deed goes unpunished. Do you think that maybe this thread was made with specifically you (and maybe tehponycorn) in mind?

Again, I'm trying to stay away from too many generalizations, but like, it feels super odd for people ot rail against Three Houses when its one of the most beloved Fire Emblem games in ages and has become a popular option for many people. First parties can't just come from dead franchises and ignored characters, they have to be relevant to Nintendo's vision and be compelling DLC options that can stand on their own. If your push is for first party DLC, it seems odd for people to against popular options that reach a lot of people. Sure, that may be your preferences, but if your goal is more first parties in Smash, that just seems like an essential part of it and something that should also be supported as those picks can still go beyond the "Smash Bubble."
You say you don't generalize but you do exactly that with Nintendo picks. "They wouldn't generate hype while third-parties will..." Imagine if Smash wasn't made by Nintendo from the onset and it was some other software developer (like say, Bandai Namco). The intention was always to include ANY video game IP they could get the license to and that put every company on the table, no console exclusives. That would mean Nintendo was a "third-party" pick just as much as everyone else. What do you think would happen? Nintendo would dominate discussion anyways since they are the company with both the history AND the IP quantity to make it happen. The only people who would complain are people who weren't interested in Nintendo to begin with. You see how the tone shifts when you stop thinking of it as "Nintendo vs. everyone else." And you're still trying to gatekeep by saying we should advocate for the newer stuff if we should be taken seriously. The "relevency" argument mattered as much as "Banjo vs. Steve," and how did that work out? Oh, but I guess it's different 'cause it's third-party and that means...... different or something.

Also, hell no to "death of the author." Death of the author started as an extremely efficient way to teach people en masse during the early 20th century and kept the focus on the "text" because there wasn't more time to learn detailed authorial backgrounds and was an attempt to turn art criticism into a science. It's just one way of interpreting texts and art, and I think it's an extremely limited and ultimately unfulfilling way to interpret works of art. Art does reflect the creator and all of the circumstances surrounding its creation, so I respectfully do not agree with any notions of "death of the author" as being all that relevant of a topic to bring up.
You come off as someone who would flip just by me mentioning it, but I'm gonna anyways. "Objective art analysis" is a thing. That doesn't mean subjective interpretations are invalid, but what the art actually IS matters just as much, and what the art is goes against what the author says it is or intended it to be. One of the most infamous examples is George Lucas' insistence that Star Wars was "meant for kids," even though the original movies and even some of the newer stuff has elements not suitable for children. Lucas says one thing about the franchise but the actual content says another. Likewise, it doesn't matter if Sakurai or anyone at Nintendo saying it's a "general gaming crossover," what matters is the actual content, and Smash is still a Nintendo crossover with several guests even if every DLC for this game ends up third-party...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Really? I thought it was as much Nintendo as Kirby or Pokemon are (they're second party, but let's be honest: by 1st party we mean Nintendo in general or else we wouldn't allow talking about Bandana Dee or Gen 8 Pokemon). Is LTH actually 3rd party? Is there a source for it being 3rd party?
I'm pretty sure Nintendo has no involvement with the project and Game Freak are self-publishing.

Edit: it's copyrighted by Game Freak alone. They own the IP.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
But the game doesn't have a Rhythm Heaven rep.
Yeah but there are spirits and a few music tracks from the franchise in Ultimate, so I'd hope they wouldn't immediately overlook it just because it already has a spot of some representation in this big video game crossover like Rayman or Shantae have.
(if you meant the Smash 4 thing, the Gemetsu leak, discovered fighter series emblem data and there being an RH enemy in Smash Run despite every other enemy relating to a fighter or the Subspace Emissary, even a scrapped fighter with the Polar Bear from Ice Climber, all point towards an RH character that was cut from Smash 4)

Arthur97

Smash Master
Same. It's the only "Zelda" game I've played that I actually dislike.
I'm not sure I disliked it, but I think it really butchered some of the lore (mainly the Hylia and Fi things which at least Skyword Sword had an out for why they were never mentioned in the rest of the series). Plus, the nature of the game left a lot to be desired for the plot, though I will give them props for actually looking into Link's character a little. The dungeons were mostly terrible though, and the lack of special items hurt it for me.

However, in Smash, the main problem is that BotW Link is too different from the others. He should have been a specialty Link like Toon and Young Link.
Tbf, "saving it" for #5, if anything, could be because it's much weaker than the preceding fighters that were revealed first to get the hypest reveals out first; just look at how Incineroar was the grand finale to superior picks.

Gosh I hope "biggest crossover in gaming goal" doesn't absolutely, definitively throw out at least one first party, at least those that would be full-on new fighter franchises to still fit that statement. Again, we almost got Rhythm in Smash 4, but I don't know if it already being represented in the game discounts it from that crossover goal/DLC in general, ugh...
Well, I guess it would be even more underwhelming than Terry. Really though, the peak for DLC wasn't even at the start, I'd say it was at E3 (at different ends of the direct depending on your preferences).

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
A Arthur97 and PhantomShab PhantomShab : Count me in as another guy who wants an OoT/TP Link echo. Hopefully they could also include ALttP Link as another alt.

I actually tried to make a thread for them in the Link subforum, but the mods wouldn't let me. He wouldn't even belong in the newcomer subforum because he's not even a newcomer.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Nintendo has no involvement with the project and Game Freak are self-publishing.

Edit: it's copyrighted by Game Freak alone. They own the IP.
Then never mind. It's just Euden and Howard Twins (and Byleth if you count repped franchises) then.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Whether or not you have a point here is meaningless because I was referring to past tense. "Before Snake was announced for Brawl" is the major point. Context matters...

There is a difference in behavior between "lack of interest" and "actively trying to define the debate." I have experience with this debating politics. If you truly had a lack of interest in first-party inclusions, you would've saw this thread, knew what it was gonna be about and said "**** it, in the spirit of the OP I'll let them have their talks" but you didn't. No good deed goes unpunished. Do you think that maybe this thread was made with specifically you (and maybe tehponycorn) in mind?

You say you don't generalize but you do exactly that with Nintendo picks. "They wouldn't generate hype while third-parties will..." Imagine if Smash wasn't made by Nintendo from the onset and it was some other software developer (like say, Bandai Namco). The intention was always to include ANY video game IP they could get the license to and that put every company on the table, no console exclusives. That would mean Nintendo was a "third-party" pick just as much as everyone else. What do you think would happen? Nintendo would dominate discussion anyways since they are the company with both the history AND the IP quantity to make it happen. The only people who would complain are people who weren't interested in Nintendo to begin with. You see how the tone shifts when you stop thinking of it as "Nintendo vs. everyone else." And you're still trying to gatekeep by saying we should advocate for the newer stuff if we should be taken seriously. The "relevency" argument mattered as much as "Banjo vs. Steve," and how did that work out? Oh, but I guess it's different 'cause it's third-party and that means...... different or something.

You come off as someone who would flip just by me mentioning it, but I'm gonna anyways. "Objective art analysis" is a thing. That doesn't mean subjective interpretations are invalid, but what the art actually IS matters just as much, and what the art is goes against what the author says it is or intended it to be. One of the most infamous examples is George Lucas' insistence that Star Wars was "meant for kids," even though the original movies and even some of the newer stuff has elements not suitable for children. Lucas says one thing about the franchise but the actual content says another. Likewise, it doesn't matter if Sakurai or anyone at Nintendo saying it's a "general gaming crossover," what matters is the actual content, and Smash is still a Nintendo crossover with several guests even if every DLC for this game ends up third-party...
Your pre-Snake commentary didn't really land because I didn't find it phrased super well, so I didn't really get what you were going for. You were referring to past tense in regards to before Snake and present tense in regards to the IPs not currently in Smash unless I've misunderstood and you were seriously commenting upon Snake's inclusion as the problem because "tons of first party IPs didn't get their shot or included" with him as the target of that scorn.

I originally commented in this thread (before yesterday) as ways of trying more active engagement with the ideas at hand and trying to start more of a discussion that ended up sort of fizzing out. I wanted to have a more serious discussion with people on this topic because I do find it interesting. I admit I reacted poorly when I saw the Plant/Fire Emblem bashing, which puts me in mind of the worst people of the community. The people who criticize them typically are the same ones who criticize characters that aren't their preferred, and I'm just used to pushing back against those types. There's admittedly some frustration I have personally with some people who constantly feel the need to keep calling Smash a "Nintendo crossover", and again, I'll admit that's a bias I was wrong to let dictate so much of my thought process. My main disconnect is the whole "once in a lifetime to have this many IPs and companies cross over." Maybe this is just who I am, but that dictates a huge amount of my decision making, "Once in a lifetime" means you should absolutely take it and do as much as you can with it before it's gone, and just the achievement of Sakurai being able to get almost every major Japanese IP across all of gaming together in the sort of goal I just think you have to kind of respect.

But my point is that your thread bases itself on the pride of first parties and is pushing for their continued inclusion. Advocating for new stuff seems like the best route forward to that because at least Nintendo would have more of an interest in those titles and characters. Simply put, Nintendo isn't going to go against their own financial self interests. If they see enough fan demand in the right spots, they'll go after a character. If they see a wide enough consumer base to appeal to with a new character, they'll go after that one. Picking less relevant characters with small fan bases and limited appeal isn't an economically smart or sustainable model. Again, Nintendo will always be a business first, good guy company second. That's not to say there are no options, but notice which ones manage to even dominate the Nintendo polls these days. Brand new and continually successful fighters. King K. Rool was rather an outlier in that regard. Inkling was a huge part of Smash 4 DLC's speculation. The biggest first party winners for Ultimate were the likes of Ashley (Nintendo Badge Arcade promotions), Bandanna Dee (new Kirby character with the spotlight), Waluigi (appears in every single Mario spinoff more or less and has never gone away), Rex/Pyra (most recent Xenoblade game), and Ridley (a mainstay of Metroid that continues to appear). Isaac was the only one really playing from a position of disadvantage due to the lack of new Golden Sun. People tend to still stick more with the newer/continually relevant characters because they get to interact with them more and don't have to revisit older titles that may be less available. It's in Nintendo's best interest to promote those titles and those characters because they will continue using them if they're making first party choices. Relevancy can only be superseded by fan demand, and really Geno and Isaac compose the entirety of characters left with enough pull to make that climb out. It's a matter of practicality to getting more first parties in. Either make massive fan demand or support more relevant/recent picks that are more popular in general. That's the best way forward when Nintendo is steering the newcomer picks especially and there is no sudden Sakurai surprise to be had. Show them first parties are going to be worth their effort and can sell as individual DLC.

There's some degree of objectivity in art analysis, but it varies wildly from medium to medium and depends largely upon the school of thought you subscribe to in said analysis. Death of the author is but one of those many schools you have to decide if you will personally use in your criticism. It's not a catch all that literally applies to every situation. Lucas wanting Star Wars to be about kids informs you a great deal about the films and the series as a whole, and gives you tons of possible ways to explore the films. This becomes even more critical in analyzing authors like Leo Tolstoy whose entire life so heavily effected the books he wrote that they are largely autobiographical in many instances with specific characters. To take a "death of the author" approach deprives you of so many readings, analyses, and arguably hugely important context.

A further issue with applying death of the author here is that due to the continued prevalence of third parties, Ultimate's content would still communicate it as a crossover of video games with a large amount of Nintendo content. Would an outside observer think of these third parties as "guests" or just standard elements of the game? And does the body of people in the public defining Smash as "a video gaming crossover" based upon the content they see in the game not matter in this context? I don't think "death of the author" really gets you very far here in terms of trying to turn back the title to a "Nintendo crossover" when that interpretation even based upon what is in Ultimate is already contentious at best (This also assumes you can use a theory created on the basis on analyzing literature so broadly in analyzing a video game, which is such a wildly different medium that I just don't think its appropriate to use it in the same way. Video games need more legitimate criticism as a whole and could use a wide variety of definitions in that criticism IMO).

Quillion

Smash Hero
Can we please please drop this debate on Smash's purpose and if first party characters will have any pull already? Just because the lion's share of currently iconic, relevant, and/or popular first party characters doesn't mean we won't stop wanting more, obscure or not.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I shouldn't have to see people undermining the validity of adding first-party characters in a thread all about promoting and discussing first-party characters.
It's like going into the Geno thread just to tell people there that Geno is an irrelevant puppet that was only plot-important for one chapter; You're not accomplishing anything besides making people angry.

Speaking of Mario spinoffs, still working on Captain Syrup. Hoping to finish soon.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Your pre-Snake commentary didn't really land because I didn't find it phrased super well, so I didn't really get what you were going for. You were referring to past tense in regards to before Snake and present tense in regards to the IPs not currently in Smash unless I've misunderstood and you were seriously commenting upon Snake's inclusion as the problem because "tons of first party IPs didn't get their shot or included" with him as the target of that scorn.
I phrased that argument perfectly. First paragraph was the establishing the setting (pre-Snake as in before 3rd parties) and the next paragraph is the argument ("it didn't make third-party support any less valid"). The sentence you took issue with: "And to top it all off, a TON of potential characters and IPs still didn't get their shot." Yeah, that's still past tense. Present tense would've been "still don't have." *sigh*

I originally commented in this thread (before yesterday) as ways of trying more active engagement with the ideas at hand and trying to start more of a discussion that ended up sort of fizzing out. I wanted to have a more serious discussion with people on this topic because I do find it interesting. I admit I reacted poorly when I saw the Plant/Fire Emblem bashing, which puts me in mind of the worst people of the community. The people who criticize them typically are the same ones who criticize characters that aren't their preferred, and I'm just used to pushing back against those types. There's admittedly some frustration I have personally with some people who constantly feel the need to keep calling Smash a "Nintendo crossover", and again, I'll admit that's a bias I was wrong to let dictate so much of my thought process. My main disconnect is the whole "once in a lifetime to have this many IPs and companies cross over." Maybe this is just who I am, but that dictates a huge amount of my decision making, "Once in a lifetime" means you should absolutely take it and do as much as you can with it before it's gone, and just the achievement of Sakurai being able to get almost every major Japanese IP across all of gaming together in the sort of goal I just think you have to kind of respect.
Forgive me for not taking you seriously regarding the "worst of the community," and "those people." I can think of numerous worse attributes than "not interested in certain characters." When you say this is a "once in a lifetime" opportunity, that is an immediate red flag as that is a mindset that can justify a lot of iffy behavior. I will give you credit that you are very civil, but you still have that gatekeeping habit.

Gatekeeping such as:

But my point is that your thread bases itself on the pride of first parties and is pushing for their continued inclusion. Advocating for new stuff seems like the best route forward to that because at least Nintendo would have more of an interest in those titles and characters. Simply put, Nintendo isn't going to go against their own financial self interests. If they see enough fan demand in the right spots, they'll go after a character. If they see a wide enough consumer base to appeal to with a new character, they'll go after that one. Picking less relevant characters with small fan bases and limited appeal isn't an economically smart or sustainable model. Again, Nintendo will always be a business first, good guy company second. That's not to say there are no options, but notice which ones manage to even dominate the Nintendo polls these days. Brand new and continually successful fighters. King K. Rool was rather an outlier in that regard. Inkling was a huge part of Smash 4 DLC's speculation. The biggest first party winners for Ultimate were the likes of Ashley (Nintendo Badge Arcade promotions), Bandanna Dee (new Kirby character with the spotlight), Waluigi (appears in every single Mario spinoff more or less and has never gone away), Rex/Pyra (most recent Xenoblade game), and Ridley (a mainstay of Metroid that continues to appear). Isaac was the only one really playing from a position of disadvantage due to the lack of new Golden Sun. People tend to still stick more with the newer/continually relevant characters because they get to interact with them more and don't have to revisit older titles that may be less available. It's in Nintendo's best interest to promote those titles and those characters because they will continue using them if they're making first party choices. Relevancy can only be superseded by fan demand, and really Geno and Isaac compose the entirety of characters left with enough pull to make that climb out. It's a matter of practicality to getting more first parties in. Either make massive fan demand or support more relevant/recent picks that are more popular in general. That's the best way forward when Nintendo is steering the newcomer picks especially and there is no sudden Sakurai surprise to be had. Show them first parties are going to be worth their effort and can sell as individual DLC.
Appealing to the habitual greed of a company. Sure, but there isn't only one way to approach that. For instance, what if Xenoblade Chronicles X were to be ported to the Switch? Would adding Elma to Smash during the release make financial sense? Maybe not for Smash, but most definitely for XCX since Smash has the broader audience. So here's an older character that got superseded by a more recent game that would still fit your criteria if the circumstances call for it. This is what frustrates me about business arguments, there's still a bunch of picking and choosing despite the supposed "fixed appeal" to it. Yoshi games are still relevant but Poochy is out of the question apparently despite even getting his name on one of the titles. People have an issue with Three Houses and Gen 8 Pokemon not because their so recent, it's because everyone in the "Bubble" you lament pretend they're the ONLY relevant Nintendo picks. You'd think Nintendo was Sega or something if they relied on such a small pool of IPs. And all those characters you listed besides Rex/Pyra still had a long standing history along with relevency, it's not like only relevency mattered there.

Now I'll be brief with the Death of the Author stuff because there is nothing I'll tell you that you won't just dismiss anyways. It doesn't limit analysis or interpretation. In fact, when an author tries to directly state interpretation (like what J.K. Rowling does constantly), THAT limits analysis. War and Peace can still be enjoyed and analysed without knowing Leo Tolstoy's background or history. Or even if you do, looking at his works separate is still possible. If anything, you trying to say that you must look at it from the author's perspective sounds like more gatekeeping. Citizen Kane is a timeless story that can apply to any person's life in any era, EVEN if Orson Welles intended it to reflect the life of William Randall Hearst. And if anything, the medium of video games makes the creator's intent even more meaningless as it requires the efforts of dozens if not HUNDREDS of individuals being on the same page (i.e. compare Todd Howard's words to literally any game he's worked on) :yoshi:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Me too.

Also, I'm sorry. I should have been more specific as his games are all pretty darn good, I think I was really just referring to the promotion AND distribution of his games.
ah now that i get there has always seemed to be not much in terms of promotion for him, iirc zip-lash had about average promotion at least on nintendo uk

still i think nintendo have a soft spot for him and im sure we'll see him again one day

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
I got a Fighter Pass and Complete Moveset I made for Spirit Zelda yesterday, since there isn't really a Spirit Zelda thread, I thought of posting it here !
I know it's an "odd ball" pick, but well, if you guys can give it a read and tell me what you thought, I'll appreciate !
Spirit Zelda For Smash !.png

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WAzMIKJgRx4kaZst1wuC2jR5iLp3PXiJe_dV1vcs2kU/edit?usp=sharing

Lots of works in balancing and writting all of that, but in the end ... I'll say it's pretty much worth it !

Quillion

Smash Hero
I have to ask, if you were to fix Zelda's representation, would you focus on recurring secondaries like Tingle and Impa, or on major one-shots like Skull Kid and the Champions?

UserKev

Smash Champion
I have to ask, if you were to fix Zelda's representation, would you focus on recurring secondaries like Tingle and Impa, or on major one-shots like Skull Kid and the Champions?
Easily focus on the major one-shots, more interesting and defining. They could easily become Smash equivalent like Ness and Captain Falcon.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Probably the major one-shots (Skull Kid, Midna), followed by alternate Triforce reincarnations (Tetra, Pig Ganon, Child/Young Link), followed by secondary reoccurring characters (Tingle, Vaati, Impa).

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Interesting question, and the response I would give is "Recuring Roles"
Zelda is a series with a rotating cast, even Link & Zelda are different people, different ages, skills, weapons, designs, the one thing that they do share, is a name, and a "role", several of those recuring "roles" can be pin pointed through the series, there is often a "Companion" role, an "Antagonist" Role (Ganondorf would count for that if he was unique, as it is we don't have a representation of what Zelda Antag are like), a "Sheikah Warrior" Role (Sheik does rep that, but people prefer Impa over him though so ...), and so on
We could also go on to pin point important part of the franchise that fans affectionate, like the "Toon Saga" for exemple (MC, WW, PH, ST, FS, FSA)
So I would focus on those things to make a representation of Zelda, that can represent recuring part of the franchise, while working around the rotating cast

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Characters like Skull Kid.

With Impa she is absolutely guaranteed to be nothing but a Sheik clone, and with all the similar movesets the Zelda characters already have it would be the lamest way to add a new Zelda character after going 18 years without a proper newcomer. I know people clamor for Hyrule Warriors Impa a lot but Hyrule Warriors is not a Zelda game and Nintendo doesn't even own the IP. You'd be asking for a Hyrule Warriors character, not a Zelda character.

Tingle is hated by like over half the fanbase and even the actual Zelda games have long since phased him out aside from the occasional reference. I think his last appearance was Minish Cap in 2004? I might be wrong on that but I'm pretty sure I'm not. For a lot of people Tingle would be even more unappealing than no new Zelda character at all.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
One-offs no doubt. Those are the most iconic, the most requested and the most unique. After that, Tingle and Impa also seem like good candidates, along with Tetra and MM Link.

Top Bottom