• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Got something that you Lip supporters might enjoy:

Edit: The first post had two videos instead of just the one.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I have this sudden strong feeling today that Lip will appear in Ultimate in some form.

If Sukapon could get in as an AT, I think her appearance to at least an AT will surely happen as well.

That is, assuming she is not playable.
I really hope she's in, and playable. I feel like her chances now are better than they've ever been, honestly (no recent games to take the focus away from Japan-only/more obscure titles + no Lip's Stick yet + flower redesign). I won't get my hopes up for anything, though, this series has burned me before.

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
^Or at the very least a new song remix. And yeah, I also think Yoko Shimomura would be a great fit for at least one. I really admire her range musical genres, she trully is talented.

Here are a few song I would like to see remixed myself:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
How very sweet!

Lip looks more like a teenager in that artwork than she does in our model. The model version makes her look like a more spunky little girl.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I have this sudden strong feeling today that Lip will appear in Ultimate in some form.

If Sukapon could get in as an AT, I think her appearance to at least an AT will surely happen as well.

Any appearance is a step forward if at least we get to see Lip in some form and not just an item, but I'm unsure if Mii outfits return since I've only seen a single one in the trailer. Though only being a Mii Outfit would just be another Welcome Amiibo situation so it won't be that special. I still think an assist trophy is unlikely since the Lip Sitck is a staple item and it would be weird for someone to have her weapon with her assist trophy form here at the same time. I don't think trying to make the puzzle blocks work like the game for the assist trophy form will work well on characters such as Bowser who takes up like 3x4 blocks of space. Plus being able to tech will sort of hinder the assist trophy's usefulness. Giving the blocks collisions or not won't make it work well. If you make the assist trophy just use a flower effect then it'll just function like one of Togepi's leech seed. But an assist trophy based universe is considered a higher representative than an item universe one like Panel de Pon in previous games.

Lip hasn't appeared in Mario Maker yet, even some Famicom Japan-only characters such as Ayumi and two in Shin Onigashima (which were trophies in Melee). But they are not going to represent the SFC as much as the Famicom. I guess we'll have to wait and see for the Switch port if they make more event courses in the game.

How very sweet!

Lip looks more like a teenager in that artwork than she does in our model. The model version makes her look like a more spunky little girl.
Her design is sort of not consistent in the Sfc original when comparing her Vs mode portrait to her on the 1-player mode screen. One looks much taller than the other. Captain Rainbow, I think her model was too small for her but the game was sort of designed to be a little out of proportion to begin with.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Her design is sort of not consistent in the Sfc original when comparing her Vs mode portrait to her on the 1-player mode screen. One looks much taller than the other. Captain Rainbow, I think her model was too small for her but the game was sort of designed to be a little out of proportion to begin with.
Personally I think these kinds of proportions would fit her best in Smash:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I was looking into some of Brawl and Sm4sh's files and they do name the flower effect as ItmRipStickFlower, and the Lip's Stick item is just labelled as ItmRipStick but since we've seen the Flower effect its likely it'll return. The Flower effect is usually associated with the Lip Stick item after all. Master Hand, other characters and Pokémon still use the effect though.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I was looking into some of Brawl and Sm4sh's files and they do name the flower effect as ItmRipStickFlower, and the Lip's Stick item is just labelled as ItmRipStick but since we've seen the Flower effect its likely it'll return. The Flower effect is usually associated with the Lip Stick item after all. Master Hand, other characters and Pokémon still use the effect though.
They could always choose to have the flower effect come from a different item. (Ramblin' Evil Mushroom, I'm counting on you.) Internal names don't always align 1:1 with their actual in-game effects. Besides, the fact that they chose to update the flower at all... it just seems suspicious to me.

In fact, this only adds fuel to the suspicion. If the flower is considered by the game's internal files to be an effect granted by an item, and we've seen that other item effects that don't use that item's model look exactly the same (maybe excepting textures) as in Brawl and SSB4... then why did they update the flower? Hmm...

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3

That's awesome! How did you find these?
The humor is really funny from just the way it's translated let alone how the characters are portrayed. Marth is big cry baby who begs for attention (makes sense from his iconic, "Everyone, watch me!" taunt) and wtf Nana is some kinda brocon now? x'D
And why did she randomly try and bludgeon Marth to death at the end there? X'D

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
That's awesome! How did you find these?
The humor is really funny from just the way it's translated let alone how the characters are portrayed. Marth is big cry baby who begs for attention (makes sense from his iconic, "Everyone, watch me!" taunt) and wtf Nana is some kinda brocon now? x'D
And why did she randomly try and bludgeon Marth to death at the end there? X'D
Just randomly searching for Smash Brothers stuff that concerned Lip while I was bored.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Exactly, very talented animations. The supporters of Lip should connect with this person to push Lip support even further.
See, I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Japanese independent creators tend to be very shy when it comes to people from other countries appreciating their work. They seem to be just peachy with it if it's only one or two people, but if they get overwhelmed, they're just as likely to delete all of their content and vanish off the face of the earth as they are to be flattered and put out more content. (In my experience, they tend to be sensitive about "white people" "stealing" their content, i.e. reposting without credit.) While I'm very interested in this guy's work, I think it's for the best if we let him go about his business without pestering him.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
See, I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Japanese independent creators tend to be very shy when it comes to people from other countries appreciating their work. They seem to be just peachy with it if it's only one or two people, but if they get overwhelmed, they're just as likely to delete all of their content and vanish off the face of the earth as they are to be flattered and put out more content. (In my experience, they tend to be sensitive about "white people" "stealing" their content, i.e. reposting without credit.) While I'm very interested in this guy's work, I think it's for the best if we let him go about his business without pestering him.
I would say it is worth a shot.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Yeah they seem very finicky from my point of view.
They type excellent English but say strange things like, "If you complain I will report you." wut? ._.
Still great content though so let's leave them to it~

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
They could always choose to have the flower effect come from a different item. (Ramblin' Evil Mushroom, I'm counting on you.) Internal names don't always align 1:1 with their actual in-game effects. Besides, the fact that they chose to update the flower at all... it just seems suspicious to me.

In fact, this only adds fuel to the suspicion. If the flower is considered by the game's internal files to be an effect granted by an item, and we've seen that other item effects that don't use that item's model look exactly the same (maybe excepting textures) as in Brawl and SSB4... then why did they update the flower? Hmm...
In Smash Wiki on the origin part of the Lip's Stick Flower page it says "The flower's continued-damage property in Smash may be a reference to how garbage blocks interfere with the opponent's gameplay."

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
In Smash Wiki on the origin part of the Lip's Stick Flower page it says "The flower's continued-damage property in Smash may be a reference to how garbage blocks interfere with the opponent's gameplay."
May be a reference. That's purely speculation. It seems most of all like it's a reference to Panel de Pon's lore, with the wand casting a flower spell when you smack an enemy with it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know what? This reminds me of megacocorock; he makes some neat-looking Mega Man fangames, but refuses to share them with anyone out of apparent paranoia. Which is too bad, some of those have really neat ideas (like putting Mega Man in Kirby), and the Western Mega Man fan scene is still struggling trying to put out decent projects.

That said, it's still a better idea to give out ballot-related support and let individual creators do their own thing.

D

Deleted member

I know I said I was done with the model but one thing continued to bug me but I always was too lazy. Anyway, I did change her ears to hopefully make them more accurate? Kinda undecided if it actually looks better though... what do you guys think? Keep the old or go with the new ones?
Old
renderold.png

New
render.png
[/spoiler}

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
I know I said I was done with the model but one thing continued to bug me but I always was too lazy. Anyway, I did change her ears to hopefully make them more accurate? Kinda undecided if it actually looks better though... what do you guys think? Keep the old or go with the new ones?
She looks so damn cute! <3

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The longer ears (rather than the pointier ones) are more accurate to her character model, so I'd say go with those.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Is it bad if I say I'd gladly take that over just the ****ing Lip Stick again?

smashkirby

Smash Hero

I saw a YouTube comment about this video where someone asked the uploader:

"How do you feel about this series attracting a notable Western audience?"

I don't know, I just got this warm feeling from seeing that question posted.

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
Is it bad if I say I'd gladly take that over just the ****ing Lip Stick again?
Or at the very least an actual trophy of the game. Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack has a really complicated and interesting development background, it would be nice to at least acknowledge it. Melee did it a little bit, but got completely removed by Brawl and Sm4sh. I mean if Zangeki no Reginleiv can get a trophy, why can't Panel de Pon?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Because, simply put, ZnR has 3D models already that they could import into Smash 4. Lip has never had an official 3D model (outside of Captain Rainbow, but...it's not a very good model), and neither have any of the other fairies.

I really just want to see Lip and the others come back, so I'd welcome even an Assist Trophy at this point, but obviously a playable Lippy is what I'm really holding out for.

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
Because, simply put, ZnR has 3D models already that they could import into Smash 4. Lip has never had an official 3D model (outside of Captain Rainbow, but...it's not a very good model), and neither have any of the other fairies.
But we did get Little Mac's Captain Rainbow model as well as his Sm4sh model in the same game.

D

Deleted member

The longer ears (rather than the pointier ones) are more accurate to her character model, so I'd say go with those.
Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I made the old ears. New ones are much more accurate. Though I wasn't satisfied with how they turned out, so I made some adjustments to connect them better to the head instead of just sticking them in there. Looks much more natural now and I think it's a big improvement.
render.png
But I think now I'm really done with her. At least I don't see anything that still needs fixing. I think she's nearly ready for a release in the enar future, maybe this weekend. There are just a few things I wanna do beforehand.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
She's looking just about perfect now. Really, you've done a fantastic job with this model, and seeing it this close to completion puts a smile on my face. Lip looks happy too!

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Hi guys, sorry to be so abrupt but I'm taking my leave from this community. I don't want to leave you without giving you what we've worked on, so here's the model with a finalized rig.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wOS_fbyHqV2bPL0iYkJa6v4RzhDjlYrw/view

Hope it works out, it can be animated in Maya LT, but if you just want to view it, you can use free software like Autodesk FBX viewer. If there are any problems just let N. Onymous know and he'll let me know. I'll see what I can do.

Wish you all the best. Bye

edit: changed link to finalized version.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I hate to see you go, but I know you've got your reasons. It's great to see the model is done. I just hope Tai doesn't feel like this is overshadowing her work or anything.

To everybody else: A friend of mine has set up a server where Panel de Pon fans of all stripes, whether it's competitive players or fans of the universe and lore, can hang out and have a good time. It's naturally a pretty small server, but that gives it a kind of cozy atmosphere. I'll drop the link here, and anyone who wants to join can.

https://discord.gg/DQfd6k4

(...This has probably been posted in here already, but I figure posting the link again can't hurt.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That sure was sudden. Wishing you all the best for the future though.

She's looking just about perfect now. Really, you've done a fantastic job with this model, and seeing it this close to completion puts a smile on my face. Lip looks happy too!
Aw shucks, thanks, but I don't think it looks fantastic or anything, heh...

I just hope Tai doesn't feel like this is overshadowing her work or anything.
Nice of you to worry, but no need for this, both models are very different and serve different purposes. Mine has a much lower poly count (less than half of the other one), making it more suited for imports. The other one has much more polys and also facial expression that aren't just flat textures, so it's well suited for renders.

Speaking of models, I did some tweaking (yes, yes, I know, I said I'll stop, but I always find something). This time to her eyes and cheeks. I did straighten her eyes, so they don't curve weirdly when looking from the side, also resulting in a more defined cheeks. It can't be seen very well due to the nature of the render, but the curve of the eyes should still be noticeable:

Also you might have noticed I did tweak the actual eye texture, here's a better look:
I traced the shape of the old texture, so it should still be pretty accurate to Lip's design. As for why I did this, that goes hand in hand with that I said earlier, about something things I want to do before releasing her. And that being making easily recolorable textures. By remaking the texture, it allows me to work with layers instead of if I simply took an already existing .png file. So once I'm done with making those texture templates and made some recolors myself, I'll release her.

Also speaking of recolors:
(I'll be honest, I just wanted an excuse to recolor her eyes as a test and she was the first that came to mind.)

Also yeah... Discord. One of these days I will check it out, once I got over the anxiety.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Lip looks cute with Ashley's colors!

Also yeah... Discord. One of these days I will check it out, once I got over the anxiety.
It's not a very large or active server, so if you're worried about being overwhelmed by posts once you get there, don't be.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It sure makes me feel great when a community comes together for something like this. Maybe we could look into porting this to Source Filmmaker or Gmod later.

Top Bottom