• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Ironic that, while Nintendo as a company starts to take more and more risks (with some duds, but many success stories as well), Intelligent Systems plays it safer and safer. What would it take for them to fess up, admit that Planet Puzzle League was a mistake, and bring Lip back?

Personally I'm in the camp that feels, ever since Splatoon and especially Puyo Puyo Tetris came out and were both hits, Nintendo is running dangerously low on excuses for not bringing over the fairy characters. I think it's safe to say that male gamers these days don't care whether a game has a largely female cast, or a cute anime art style--they just care whether it's fun to play. I dunno about you, but Panel de Pon is very much a fun game to play...and one that needs a consistent identity if it wants to survive. It's all on you, IS.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I think Lip will need Ridley levels of support in the future for anything to happen at all.
Then I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree. Lip will have to be a retro character--she's certainly not relevant enough to be anything else--and for a lot of people, including Sakurai by the looks of it, "retro" necessarily means "NES." Voting for Lip, then, wouldn't even cross their minds. A lot of fans would rather vote for characters who, while classic, don't even have a slight potential for an interesting and/or unique moveset (looking at you, Excitebiker).

While all these fan polls ultimately mean nothing in the long run, it does make me wonder how Lip would be received if by some miracle she did make it into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Probably not well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Then they'd literally have to completely run out of characters before considering her. That's great…:ohwell: Though I'm sure an inclusion will happen eventually, even if it has to take a decade.

Besides, Mach Rider has more fighting potential than Excitebiker, those people are silly.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If we're being realistic, it'll happen never, because as of SSB4 we're only looking at characters who an international audience would recognize, meaning Lip would have to be released internationally in unedited form first, meaning Intelligent Systems would have to touch the series again instead of spamming Fire Emblem, which hahaha yeah good luck with that. But I really, really want to keep an open mind.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I for one am kinda glad Sushi Striker failed and not just because of maybe seeing PdP again. Intelligent System has pretty much degraded to being a Fire Emblem only developer with the occasional WarioWare. Not only is there no sign of, as mentioned already, PdP, but also the last Advance Wars was 10 years ago by now.. Even Pullblox/Pushmo, which they seemed to push (heh) really hard back then, was suddenly abandoned and hasn't gotten a new game since 2015.
I don’t understand why that would make you glad Sushi Striker failed. We need wacky and risky games to do well so that Nintendo/IS realize they can make money doing stuff other than the tried and true Fire Emblem.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Sushi Striker was a company called Indieszero (who seems to mostly do mobile games otherwise, which...would explain a lot, honestly), not Intelligent Systems.

So as not to seem like a complete pessimist, here's something I've picked back up lately:

I decided to redo the player sprites, because I just wasn't happy with where they were before. I think this take on Lip is a lot cuter (as it should be!)

...I still have no idea what I'm going to do about the enemies.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
The fact that Panel de Pon was included in the Japanese Snes Mini gave me enough interest to play the game. My problem with the american Snes Mini was that there was a lack of puzzle games, maybe because it wasn't as popular for an American Super Nintendo consumer or they already included a couple on the Nes Mini. I would support this character to be in Smash Bros, as it was such a refreshing experience when I first played the game.

I would like to see Panel de Pon as an RPG one day. I noticed in this thread there's a lot of inserting Lip in x game. I don't see Ness and Lucas (at least in Mario Kart 8) inserted in as much games compared to the thread quite impresses me from the support of this character.

It's worth noting that Panel de Pon is also commonly re-released, be it for various Virtual Consoles or the Super Famicom Mini. Same can't be said for Tetris Attack, probably due to licensing issues. Although that begs the question why they won't just simply released the Japanese version instead. I mean, it wouldn't be the first time. Sin & Punishment for the Wii VC just got a menu translation, with everything else, including subtitles, being untouched. By now, they also brought over Earthbound and Mario RPG multiple times over to the EU, while keeping it English only, nor do they have any problem finishing up unreleased games and sell them, namely MOTHER 1 and Star Fox 2. I think Murasame Castle is also on the international VC by now?

All that makes me wonder why western Nintendo won't just release the Japanese version of Panel de Pon as a substitute, when the western one is seemingly stuck in licensing hell due to the "Tetris" name. Kinda feels like it's a franchise they seem to avoid?
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge was re-released on the 3DS VC back in 2014, which means there isn't an impossible way to play Panel de Pon in America and wasn't Pokemon Puzzle League re-released on the Wii Virtual Console (not on WIi U)? Sort of irrelavent since the Wii Vc is ending and you can no longer add funds to your account on Wii Shop Channel?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I for one am kinda glad Sushi Striker failed and not just because of maybe seeing PdP again. Intelligent System has pretty much degraded to being a Fire Emblem only developer with the occasional WarioWare. Not only is there no sign of, as mentioned already, PdP, but also the last Advance Wars was 10 years ago by now.. Even Pullblox/Pushmo, which they seemed to push (heh) really hard back then, was suddenly abandoned and hasn't gotten a new game since 2015.
I don’t understand why that would make you glad Sushi Striker failed. We need wacky and risky games to do well so that Nintendo/IS realize they can make money doing stuff other than the tried and true Fire Emblem.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sushi Striker was a company called Indieszero (who seems to mostly do mobile games otherwise, which...would explain a lot, honestly), not Intelligent Systems.

So as not to seem like a complete pessimist, here's something I've picked back up lately:

I decided to redo the player sprites, because I just wasn't happy with where they were before. I think this take on Lip is a lot cuter (as it should be!)

I know, but still, a successful Nintendo-published puzzle game would beget more. That’s just business sense.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman

Thinking of Wario's Woods game on Nes and Snes, the game featured Toad and the game is a Puzzle Game, but I don't hear much about that game nowdays, as much as Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA). I think she would fit in Wario's Woods also but you are limited to a small sized character and not sure about the limitations of that game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because I'm bitter, that's why. I like puzzle games, that's why the current situation makes me so mad. Nintendo alone has so many neglected puzzle games, besides PdP, yet the most we're getting is the occasional digital only Dr. Mario. What happened to Yoshi's Cookie? Mario & Yoshi (or simply Yoshi, depending on version)? The already mentioned Wario's Woods? Pushmo which was suddenly dropped? Kirby Star Stacker? They even flat out stated BOXBOY is done after three games.

Also notice a trend? All of those games are either very old (pre-eShop) or only having gotten budget digital releases outside of bundles. Hell, PdP was demoted to being a free update in Animal Crossing. It didn't even have the chance to get a proper 3DS title, at least Dr. Mario had that going for him. So suddenly the glorified mobile game Sushi Striker comes along, charges full price and I'm supposed to hope it goes well? When every other puzzle franchise is either being neglected or simply costs way less? What makes Sushi Striker so different from Pushmo or BOXBOY? Both franchises were also completely new, yet had a reasonable price tag and as a result went on to go well. Hell, Qbby even has his own amiibo.

Also I'm gonna drop this matter after this message, It's only tangible related to PdP after all.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Because I'm bitter, that's why. I like puzzle games, that's why the current situation makes me so mad. Nintendo alone has so many neglected puzzle games, besides PdP, yet the most we're getting is the occasional digital only Dr. Mario. What happened to Yoshi's Cookie? Mario & Yoshi (or simply Yoshi, depending on version)? The already mentioned Wario's Woods? Pushmo which was suddenly dropped? Kirby Star Stacker? They even flat out stated BOXBOY is done after three games.

Also notice a trend? All of those games are either very old (pre-eShop) or only having gotten budget digital releases outside of bundles. Hell, PdP was demoted to being a free update in Animal Crossing. It didn't even have the chance to get a proper 3DS title, at least Dr. Mario had that going for him. So suddenly the glorified mobile game Sushi Striker comes along, charges full price and I'm supposed to hope it goes well? When every other puzzle franchise is either being neglected or simply costs way less? What makes Sushi Striker so different from Pushmo or BOXBOY? Both franchises were also completely new, yet had a reasonable price tag and as a result went on to go well. Hell, Qbby even has his own amiibo.

Also I'm gonna drop this matter after this message, It's only tangible related to PdP after all.
I don't see Puzzle games as being something that should be expensive nowdays, which you can see the reaction with Sushi Strikers. Dr. Mario releases aren't $60, they are usually below $20. Puyo Puyo Tetris is also around that price range btw.
I guess no hope for a Mr. Saturn Puzzle game... he did say he was done with the series though.
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong games are still being released though originally it wasn't a puzzle game since it uses the minis as the focus instead of Mario. Honestly I used to play the mini games until after Mini Land Mayhem, but I tried to go back to it recently and there was something off about the game.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If a new game with the fairies comes along, and it's a puzzle game, three things must happen for it to be successful:

1. It will have to be internationally released with the characters unedited. The games have to establish a consistent identity for them to survive. No more of this reskinning crap.
2. It will have to be sold at a reasonable price (as much as I may like Panel de Pon, $50 was too much for Sushi Striker and it's too much for this game too).
3. It will have to be marketed. This is the big killer here. It's been a recurring problem with Nintendo as of late, where they only market their big, successful franchises and let everything else rot. They were clearly trying to drum up a lot of hype for games like Ever Oasis and the aforementioned Sushi Striker in the months leading up to release, but when these games actually came out, it was with absolutely zero marketing, and they flew completely under the radar as a result.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If a new game with the fairies comes along, and it's a puzzle game, three things must happen for it to be successful:

1. It will have to be internationally released with the characters unedited. The games have to establish a consistent identity for them to survive. No more of this reskinning crap.
2. It will have to be sold at a reasonable price (as much as I may like Panel de Pon, $50 was too much for Sushi Striker and it's too much for this game too).
3. It will have to be marketed. This is the big killer here. It's been a recurring problem with Nintendo as of late, where they only market their big, successful franchises and let everything else rot. They were clearly trying to drum up a lot of hype for games like Ever Oasis and the aforementioned Sushi Striker in the months leading up to release, but when these games actually came out, it was with absolutely zero marketing, and they flew completely under the radar as a result.
One thing I’m loving about how Nintendo markets games for the Switch is the abundance of demos. I think they do a really good job of selling the game to buyers who might be on the fence. The success of Octopath Traveler can in no small part be attributed to how well received the demo was. While it has to be backed by decent marketing, a demo and a competitive price point might make a new PdP a sleeper hit (or a regular hit, if we’re lucky).

D

Deleted member

I don't see Puzzle games as being something that should be expensive nowdays, which you can see the reaction with Sushi Strikers. Dr. Mario releases aren't $60, they are usually below $20. Puyo Puyo Tetris is also around that price range btw.
That's exactly what I'm saying. The times where simple games like these can charge full price are long gone with the rise of mobile games, digital distribution and, let's be honest, all the Steam sales probably helped in that, too. I mean, even the very last Puzzle League game (Express or for us Europeans the mouthful "A Little Bit of... Puzzle League") was a cut down digital release for the DSi shop.

So much this. If I'm gonna be honest, I didn't even know Sushi Striker was out until I read it here. And Ever Oasis also just suddenly appeared in the eShop out of the blue.

Oh btw, because I brought up Puzzle League Express above... Happy 9th Birthday. On this very day, nine years ago, it was released in Europe and the only thing we've gotten since then is a minigame in Animal Crossing. Like, I'm not even mad that the fairies barely appear at this point, I'm more mad how the franchise was suddenly dropped, after having had presence on nearly every console at that point, only skipping the Wii:
  • SNES had the original, as well as Sattelaview events
  • GB with the Yoshi version, even in Japan
  • GBC had Pokemon
  • N64 (west only)
  • GC with the "Nintendo Puzzle Collection" (JP only, had a planned EU release, which was cancelled)
  • GBA with the Dr. Mario double pack (also connectivity with the GC game)
  • DS with the infamous Puzzle League DS (and later the Express digital release)
Also fun fact, due to the cancellation of Nintendo Puzzle Collection for the Gamecube, we're the only ones who never got Dr. Mario 64.

Last edited by a moderator:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Like, I'm not even mad that the fairies barely appear at this point, I'm more mad how the franchise was suddenly dropped, after having had presence on nearly every console at that point, only skipping the Wii:
Why not both?

D

Deleted member

Because I'm dumb and missed a word, hehe. I meant to say I'm not even that mad about the lack of fairies compared to the sudden death of the franchise as a whole. Like yeah, obviously I want the fairies and I'm slightly mad they never made it to the west (though "mad" is a strong word, maybe more like disappointed? My English fails me here, heh...). Of course for the fairies to appear, we first need an actual new game to begin with, which Nintendo seems to refuse to do.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
And we'll never know why unless we can get someone who's fluent in Japanese to talk to the right people about it.

...Actually, could someone try to get on that?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Can I be added to the support list? Thanks.
You're now the 30th Lip supporter to join our ranks since the creation of this thread.

It's kind of baffling how many Lip supporters there are, even if some of them aren't active anymore. For such an obscure character, people really do seem to love her. Even people who don't know who she is could easily warm up to old Lippy.

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
Here something interesting. It looks like some good people have made some progress on the Panel De Pon GB restoration hack.

https://m.imgur.com/a/uP7Xclg

As posted before, Pokemon Puzzle Challange was made as a last minute rebrand from Panel de Pon GB, and all of its assets (ie music, art, scripts, ect) are still hidden inside the game.

Heres the link to the reddit post, which includes their discord channel. Show them some support!
https://www.reddit.com/r/PanelDePon...restored_images_from_the_old_panel_de_pon_gb/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The cat's outta the bag then. This is what I was talking about last month, when I brought up the project I was contacted about, due to having meddled around with it in the past. Seems like it was on reddit all along, hehe. I don't really visit the PdP reddit due to inactivity and I don't have a discord either (I know, blasphemy in this day and age).

But yeah, I wasn't aware it was public. Ah well, better safe than sorry.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm actually in a Discord channel with a person (or two of the people) who are working on that restoration hack. It's fascinating stuff. Even if it's not technically new material with Lippy in it, it's still great to see something with her in it that I haven't seen before.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Add me on the list of supporters for Lip ^_^ always thought she'd be a lot of fun to play in a fighting game, especially being from a puzzle game

D

Deleted member

Seems to be that the Discord is relatively active? Maybe I should actually try and take a look at after all? Or even Discord as a whole? Although to be honest, I'm quite unsure on this matter. I'm a naturally shy person, so I doubt I'd fit in very well.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Seems to be that the Discord is relatively active? Maybe I should actually try and take a look at after all? Or even Discord as a whole? Although to be honest, I'm quite unsure on this matter. I'm a naturally shy person, so I doubt I'd fit in very well.
As far as Discord servers go, it's somewhere in-between. I can guarantee it's not so active that a shy person would feel uncomfortable, though. It's a Panel de Pon server, that's kind of a given.

Last edited:

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
Oh man, did I unearthed some sort of secret project here? Please don't kill me!

Anyways, the hack looks good. However, I wonder how they are going to tackle the VS. Com mode, which works very differently in Puzzle Challenge.

D

Deleted member

As far as Discord servers go, it's somewhere in-between. I can guarantee it's not so active that a shy person would feel uncomfortable, though. It's a Panel de Pon server, that's kind of a given.
Well, if you say so... I might give it a try if I should ever get over that anxiety... Although I do have a tendency of worrying too much as well.

Oh man, did I unearthed some sort of secret project here? Please don't kill me!
Sorry, authorities are notified and will be there shortly.:falconmelee:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
It sounds kind of sad, and in 2:30 when she disappears its like how forgotten this character is nowdays. Though the series never actually had a real identity outside of Japan... and the lack of new releases except for New Leaf's amiibo mini game, but that wasn't the actual Panel de Pon skin.

If Panel de Pon ever comes out on Switch, even if its Japan only. With the lack of Region locking, we'll be able to download any releases of Panel de Pon on the Eshop.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
There's just something about a solo piano that's so melancholy-sounding. Please come back, Lippy, we miss you.

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
It sounds kind of sad, and in 2:30 when she disappears its like how forgotten this character is nowdays. Though the series never actually had a real identity outside of Japan... and the lack of new releases except for New Leaf's amiibo mini game, but that wasn't the actual Panel de Pon skin.

If Panel de Pon ever comes out on Switch, even if its Japan only. With the lack of Region locking, we'll be able to download any releases of Panel de Pon on the Eshop.
It fits the melancholy tone of this thread, huh.

I'm 90% sure she's not making it as a playable character, but I still hope there will be a new game. And while a switch game could work, I still think a mobile game would be the way to go. Honestly, the rom hack got me a bit exited. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff, especially for those that restores cut content (or in this occasion, en entire game).

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Punished de Pon.

For real though, I do hope the phobia NoA has of the fairies coming to the states has faded-22 years seem long enough to test the waters now.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It isn't, because the modern-day Nintendo is afraid to take chances on anything that's not a new IP or extremely popular. This isn't unique to Panel de Pon, F-Zero and Advance Wars have suffered the same fate. In fact, at this point, Intelligent Systems is basically just Fire Emblem Systems with the occasional WarioWare or gutted corpse of a Paper Mario game on the side. I highly doubt they'll be involved with the next real Panel de Pon game, if we get that any time within the next five decades.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
...Did I kill this thread with my pessimism? I'm so sorry. ._.

I've been having recurring dreams lately where Lip's Stick casually appears as an item in new gameplay footage. This should probably worry me more than it does. On one hand, the last thing I want is for Smash Ultimate to maintain the status quo for this series. On the other, I think I know deep down that it probably will.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

I've been having recurring dreams lately where Lip's Stick casually appears as an item in new gameplay footage. This should probably worry me more than it does. On one hand, the last thing I want is for Smash Ultimate to maintain the status quo for this series. On the other, I think I know deep down that it probably will.
Never forget comrade.
Screw_Attack_item.jpg

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I've heard it said the Screw Attack is a false equivalency, since it's not Samus's iconic weapon, i.e. the one item she is never seen without in gameplay and backstory. They claim a better comparison would be if the Master Sword ended up an item. Personally I think those people are reading too far into things (for one, the Screw Attack is iconic enough to be used as the logo for the entire Metroid series in crossovers)...

...Actually, didn't we just get the Launch Star as an item in SSBU? Isn't that Rosalina's up special? Rosalina debuted in SSB4. Hmm... that's twice now a character's "iconic item" has been rendered an item in a future Smash installment without cutting the character.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I've heard it said the Screw Attack is a false equivalency, since it's not Samus's iconic weapon, i.e. the one item she is never seen without in gameplay and backstory. They claim a better comparison would be if the Master Sword ended up an item. Personally I think those people are reading too far into things (for one, the Screw Attack is iconic enough to be used as the logo for the entire Metroid series in crossovers)...

...Actually, didn't we just get the Launch Star as an item in SSBU? Isn't that Rosalina's up special? Rosalina debuted in SSB4. Hmm... that's twice now a character's "iconic item" has been rendered an item in a future Smash installment without cutting the character.
You forgot Mario's Fireball and the Fireflower item which both were in Smash 64.

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice

No, it's just that there's not much to talk about. There are no clues or any sort of outside info that we can analyze, like the marketing push and WarioWare Gold for Ashley and the hundreds upon hundreds of leaks for K. Rool. The only things we got are the flowerhead redesign and Kirby's down b, which only makes things even more dire.

The blog doesn't help either. It's only recapping everything that was shown in the E3 trailer except for the new remixes (which are sweet might I add). My guess is that we're not going get any new ingo until they burn out all of their current materia, which is not going to be anytime soon.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The only things we got are the flowerhead redesign and Kirby's down b, which only makes things even more dire.
A. I really don't think Kirby's garbage block means anything substantial. Remember when people thought Villager's boxing gloves deconfirmed Little Mac?
B. The flower being redesigned is potentially more good than bad.

Top Bottom