• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Boy, I hope this doesn't kill the thread. We're now down two of our most vocal and prolific content creators for one reason or another. It'd be horrible if this ended up killing what little momentum we had. It really, really would be.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
We do not need to continue a momentum. Just let supporters discuss, speculate, and share new panel de pon and lip content naturally. The most we can do is wait to see who Sakurai will reveal as the next retro, or slightly-worse case scenario, which retros end up getting the Assist Trophy role.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I think the characters in the Nintendo Puzzle Collection had the names of the predecessors from the Snes game since the game was originally going to be released outside of Japan. Think of it like how EarthBound was used for the Sequel instead of the first game. Llyod's name was used in the release of EBB and an exact name of Brawl's sticker. It might explain why characters such as Furil was named Lip in Brawl in the Stickers. If you equip it you do get Lip's stick but that also applies in the Japanese version which has Furil as the sticker's name. I wouldn't be surprised if the characters from Mother 3 used the English name stickers in the localization. At this point either Furil or Lip can be named Lip outside of Japan depending on which version gets released first outside of Japan as the Animal Crossing outfit doesn't even name the outfit Lip but just simply Flower Fairy.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
PsychoJosh PsychoJosh I understand you have your reasons for leaving, but would it be possible to for you to post a screenshot of the model's current look here? My PC acting working in regards to downloading from Google Drive...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Such a cute model. I'd bet that even if Lip isn't in SSBU in any form, we're set for a good while thanks to this.

Sorry your model kinda got overshadowed by this one, @Taigiry. They're both great!

Last edited:

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
I think the characters in the Nintendo Puzzle Collection had the names of the predecessors from the Snes game since the game was originally going to be released outside of Japan. Think of it like how EarthBound was used for the Sequel instead of the first game. Llyod's name was used in the release of EBB and an exact name of Brawl's sticker. It might explain why characters such as Furil was named Lip in Brawl in the Stickers. If you equip it you do get Lip's stick but that also applies in the Japanese version which has Furil as the sticker's name. I wouldn't be surprised if the characters from Mother 3 used the English name stickers in the localization. At this point either Furil or Lip can be named Lip outside of Japan depending on which version gets released first outside of Japan as the Animal Crossing outfit doesn't even name the outfit Lip but just simply Flower Fairy.
Interesting. Just out of curiosity, is there any evidence or article about Nintendo Puzzle Collection being planned for localization? I would like to know why it would get cancelled, as I always wondered why a game featuring DR. MARIO and YOSHI would get left behind in Japan.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Not quite sure if I managed to export it with a transparent background. If you need me to fix anything I can try again later.

..looking at it again, this render looks super 1996. Gonna try again with a more toon like shader next time.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Interesting. Just out of curiosity, is there any evidence or article about Nintendo Puzzle Collection being planned for localization? I would like to know why it would get cancelled, as I always wondered why a game featuring DR. MARIO and YOSHI would get left behind in Japan.
It's from a promotional book from E3 2003, someone on deviantart uploaded the page for this game.

I don't think this game will ever be re-released all in one collection together ever again since Dr. Mario 64 has already been released before and Yoshi Cookie has been delisted from the Wii Shop Channel since 2013 because of some issues with Bullet Proof Software. This has the most features for Panel de Pon is by far since Pokemon Puzzle League doesn't have 4-players and the 3D mode is pretty much exclusive to these 2 games along with a Puzzle you can create in the game. Future Panel de Pon games should have all of the features present in the Gamecube version since the DS Version certainly did not have a 3D mode.
However if this game was ever to be released internationally at the time, Lip would get much less attention than Furil because of using her name in those versions, but they do look pretty much alike.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Man, I remember reading about the Puzzle Collection in a magazine years ago and was pretty hyped for it, mostly due to Dr. Mario 64 as we never got that game. Years later, the Collection was quietly canceled and we still don't have that game. You'd think Nintendo would at least put it on the VC, but that would be a smart thing to do and Nintendo would rather do Nintendo things... Hell, even China has Dr. Mario on the iQue, pre-installed even. At least I found the collection for cheap on eBay, completely new.

Oh Nintendo, why must you make it so hard to get your games sometimes...

Such a cute model. I'd bet that even if Lip isn't in SSBU in any form, we're set for a good while thanks to this.

Sorry your model kinda got overshadowed by this one, @Taigiry. They're both great!
Not gonna lie, it does kinda sting a bit seeing what I worked hard on for years, over multiple iterations, being pretty much tossed aside now, going by some of the replies, despite serving an entirely different function. Ah well, nothing I can do except moving on. Gives me more freedom to work on my backlog, there's quite a bit I wanna do, after all, unrelated to PdP. Thanks for the warm words though.

PsychoJosh

Oh, my apologies Taigiry. I honestly didn't mean to upstage you.

Your model's nice and cute, and still might have usage for projects that require a lower polycount, like Brawl hacking and stuff.

Anyways, I'll still hang around here for a tiny bit longer since the model was just released. I'll see if I can create a more toony render.

Last edited:

『SwingingStar』

Smash Cadet

Your model's nice and cute, and still might have usage for projects that require a lower polycount, like Brawl hacking and stuff.

Anyways, I'll still hang around here for a tiny bit longer since the model was just released. I'll see if I can create a more toony render.
Incredible job on the model, and sorry for getting involved in that discussion yesterday.

If you're taking opinions on the render, I think the smile should either be either tight-lipped, or open mouthed; looking at Mario renders, for example, he either has an open smile that shows only the upper teeth, or a closed one. In fact, the only SSBU character renders that show both rows of teeth are DK, Wario, and Bowser's! Most characters go with tight lipped smiles.

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
It's from a promotional book from E3 2003, someone on deviantart uploaded the page for this game.

I don't think this game will ever be re-released all in one collection together ever again since Dr. Mario 64 has already been released before and Yoshi Cookie has been delisted from the Wii Shop Channel since 2013 because of some issues with Bullet Proof Software. This has the most features for Panel de Pon is by far since Pokemon Puzzle League doesn't have 4-players and the 3D mode is pretty much exclusive to these 2 games along with a Puzzle you can create in the game. Future Panel de Pon games should have all of the features present in the Gamecube version since the DS Version certainly did not have a 3D mode.
However if this game was ever to be released internationally at the time, Lip would get much less attention than Furil because of using her name in those versions, but they do look pretty much alike.
Oh wow, that's certainly disappointing. At least we know what the localized logo would look like. I wonder how hard is it to hack a gamecube game. There's a partial translation out there, which is far from complete.

Also, the legal issues with Yoshi's Cookie is news to me. Is it a similar issue like the original Star Fox and Argonaut Games?

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, that's certainly disappointing. At least we know what the localized logo would look like. I wonder how hard is it to hack a gamecube game. There's a partial translation out there, which is far from complete.

Also, the legal issues with Yoshi's Cookie is news to me. Is it a similar issue like the original Star Fox and Argonaut Games?
Wasn't Star Fox recently re-released on Snes Classic, probably had more to do with FX Emulation? Also the people who are fan translating PDP on NPC actually only has plans on translating that portion of the game. Not Yoshi Cookie nor Dr. Mario (since it has been released in English Before)

Maybe it was cancelled because the boxart would look weird for people since Yoshi and Dr. Mario are Mario characters while Furil is like the only person who isn't part of the Mario series from the collection. Yoshi and Pokemon replaced Lip and her friends back on the Snes and Gameboy days but Melee should of at least made this game okay if they thought it was an issue.

Last edited:

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
From what I read for the longest time is that Nintendo wouldn't release Star Fox and Star Fox 2 on Virtual Console because of issues with Argonaut Games, which has been out of business for a while then. I guess they finally worked it out. Remermber that something similar happened with the Donkey Kong Country games and Rare. 1-3 were taken off the VC for a while because of contract issues.

And I don't know, not releasing a game because of a boxart sound petty. That didn't stop them from releasing Mario Tennis on the Game Boy line with some random human characters on the boxes before. It may have been the same issue with Yoshi's Cookie as you mentioned, but who's to know, right? What's the deal with them?

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
From what I read for the longest time is that Nintendo wouldn't release Star Fox and Star Fox 2 on Virtual Console because of issues with Argonaut Games, which has been out of business for a while then. I guess they finally worked it out. Remermber that something similar happened with the Donkey Kong Country games and Rare. 1-3 were taken off the VC for a while because of contract issues.

And I don't know, not releasing a game because of a boxart sound petty. That didn't stop them from releasing Mario Tennis on the Game Boy line with some random human characters on the boxes before. It may have been the same issue with Yoshi's Cookie as you mentioned, but who's to know, right? What's the deal with them?
Yoshi Cookie was released on Wii VC in 2008, so it wouldn't be an issue for Nintendo Puzzle Collection's release unless they wanted to do it now, they would either have to make a deal with Bullet Proof Software (owned by The Tetris Company) or getting rid of the game from the collection all together. I don't know anything else about the game but we'll just have to wait and see if this game is going to be re-released.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You have nothing to apologize for, I never thought there as any ill-will on your end.

Anyway, I'll be taking this opportunity to take a break from making PdP stuff for the time being. I'll still be around, obviously, maybe take this an an opportunity to check out the DIscord, just without making any PdP content. Maybe I'll be finishing that Gyromite stage I recently thought up. Or maybe making that model of Namco's Valkyrie... just branching out a bit from the usual fairy stuff. Eh sorry, I'm rambling on and on again, as usual, hehe.

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi Cookie was released on Wii VC in 2008, so it wouldn't be an issue for Nintendo Puzzle Collection's release unless they wanted to do it now, they would either have to make a deal with Bullet Proof Software (owned by The Tetris Company) or getting rid of the game from the collection all together. I don't know anything else about the game but we'll just have to wait and see if this game is going to be re-released.
Yeah I guess it is weird why they pulled the plug for Nintendo Puzzle Collection if there were no legal issues.

Actually, it got me thinking. If they were already marketing the game in magazines and promotional materials, I wonder how far they got into localization before deciding to can it? Perhaps there may be a fully localized version hidden somewhere in Nintendo's secret vault, just like Earthbound Beginnings and Star Fox 2 were just sitting there for like 20 years.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Not quite sure if I managed to export it with a transparent background. If you need me to fix anything I can try again later.

..looking at it again, this render looks super 1996. Gonna try again with a more toon like shader next time.

Wow, if it weren't for the different lighting and other subtle giveaways, I'd think this was a render from Melee.

PsychoJosh

Wow, if it weren't for the different lighting and other subtle giveaways, I'd think this was a render from Melee.
To me it looks more like a render you'd find in an N64 instruction manual.

Lip's confirmed for Mario Party

Last edited:

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
To me it looks more like a render you'd find in an N64 instruction manual.

Lip's confirmed for Mario Party
Yes, that's what I had in mind.

Maybe with a little less shine she would fit right in.
By the way, amazing job.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That's pretty great! Would you be willing to do the stock icons too?

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
They're about right compared to her face in this picture:

Compared to the other "chibi" art style that's used in the games, they're a little bit small. But it's our model, it's done, and it's wonderful, so I'm not complaining.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
The eyes are the right size but the irises aren't filling up the whole eye like in the artwork. I think that's the issue you're having SchAlternate SchAlternate ?

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Yeah, I think that's more accurate. The iris to eye ratio is definitely lower than in the artwork.

EDIT: Okay, having a reference in hand helps me see what exactly seemed to be the issue. Also, I think the mouth is too wide as well.

lippy.png

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah, I think that's more accurate. The iris to eye ratio is definitely lower than in the artwork.

EDIT: Okay, having a reference in hand helps me see what exactly seemed to be the issue. Also, I think the mouth is too wide as well.
Yeah, I think the mouth is a bit too wide too myself. I belive I tried mentioning that to the modeler, but I don't think he actually went through with it. Oh well.

11th

Smash Apprentice
May as well jump on the art train.
Some scribbles. (+Bonus Kirb)

*trips*

I thought about doing key poses for a moveset... but first I'd need to think up a moveset. Maybe someday.

『SwingingStar』

Smash Cadet
May as well jump on the art train.

I thought about doing key poses for a moveset... but first I'd need to think up a moveset. Maybe someday.
Great Job!

If you've got ideas for a moveset, then good luck with that! Otherwise, some people here have one done already, I think I know I do.

Top Bottom