• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Welp.

Simon Belmont is all but confirmed at this point.

This means Isabelle, a Gen 7 rep, an Arms stage, and...ugh...Minecraft are all incredibly likely. There is a very real chance that Ultimate is just as dedicated to pandering to Western audiences as SSB4 was.

Unless that "obscure character no one could have expected" ends up being Lip, I'm very tempted to say this is the end of the road for us.

It's been fun, guys.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Welp.

Simon Belmont is all but confirmed at this point.

This means Isabelle, a Gen 7 rep, an Arms stage, and...ugh...Minecraft are all incredibly likely. There is a very real chance that Ultimate is just as dedicated to pandering to Western audiences as SSB4 was.

Unless that "obscure character no one could have expected" ends up being Lip, I'm very tempted to say this is the end of the road for us.

It's been fun, guys.
I'll admit it doesn't look good for us right now but I'm not giving up hope entirely until the very last character is announced.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm trying to keep a hopeful outlook but it isn't easy. There's a rumor that the "unexpected" character Verge mentioned might be Geolyte, from Meteos--and if it's in, then it's all but guaranteed that Lip is not, and may in fact never be, playable. Crushing to think about...

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
I'm trying to keep a hopeful outlook but it isn't easy. There's a rumor that the "unexpected" character Verge mentioned might be Geolyte, from Meteos--and if it's in, then it's all but guaranteed that Lip is not, and may in fact never be, playable. Crushing to think about...
Does this rumour relate to the Geolyte picture "leak" that was posted last month?

Also, I don't know if this is an established trend but haven't all of the "unexpected" characters up to this point been first or second party retro characters? If so, this could work against Geolyte since the rights to the character (and Meteos itself along with Lumines) are now owned by Mobcast, a Japanese smartphone developer therefore making Geolyte a third party character.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I don't know if it has anything to do with the image leaks, but they were confirmed fake pretty quickly, so probably not.

Snake was an unexpected character purely for being a third party, so I'd argue against that being a clear and fast rule.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
I don't know if it has anything to do with the image leaks, but they were confirmed fake pretty quickly, so probably not.

Snake was an unexpected character purely for being a third party, so I'd argue against that being a clear and fast rule.
I should've been clearer with what I was trying to say. When I said "unexpected characters', I meant base characters that were officially revealed after the game's release like Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B and DHD.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, apparently something happened tonight? Guess I'll be leaving until the Direct is over to avoid potential spoilers. So before I go, here's Windy:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Things to take away from the Direct this morning:
  1. Simon, as expected
  2. RICHTER HOLY CRAP
  3. K. ROOL OH MY GOD HELL YES
  4. oh right, lip
  5. No Lip's Stick (yet)
  6. No Lip Assist Trophy (yet)
  7. Ashley is still an Assist Trophy
  8. Lip's Theme hasn't appeared under the "Other" music selection yet
  9. Mach Rider's, possibly Lip's stiffest competition in terms of retro character, theme has
...I honestly don't know how we've gone this long without explicit, verifiable proof that Lip is not playable. Absolutely insane. I went into this Direct feeling just awful about her chances, but I came out feeling better about her than I have in a long time.

nope

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Things to take away from the Direct this morning:
  1. Simon, as expected
  2. RICHTER HOLY CRAP
  3. K. ROOL OH MY GOD HELL YES

4. oh right, lip
  5. No Lip's Stick (yet)
  6. No Lip Assist Trophy (yet)
  7. Ashley is still an Assist Trophy
  8. Lip's Theme hasn't appeared under the "Other" music selection yet
  9. Mach Rider's, possibly Lip's stiffest competition in terms of retro character, theme has
...I honestly don't know how we've gone this long without explicit, verifiable proof that Lip is not playable. Absolutely insane. I went into this Direct feeling just awful about her chances, but I came out feeling better about her than I have in a long time.
You and me both my friend.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Honestly when I saw the mushroom on Kirby’s Head, I thought they’d reworked the Lip’s Stick effect into that and Lip was as good as confirmed. Still, it’s nice to see she’s still in the running.

Edit: eep

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
To be fair, we didn't see Lip's theme in the "Other" section. Let's not count our chickens before they hatch, huh?

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
To be fair, we didn't see Lip's theme in the "Other" section. Let's not count our chickens before they hatch, huh?
Lip's theme could easily be among the 87 other tracks we didn't see in that section. It's always been listed after the Tetris tracks in previous games.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Let’s not get all blue now. We’ve been saying for months to all the naysayers that the garbage block and the flower didn’t necessarily mean disconfirmation.

Am I gonna back down now? Hell no.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Let's also not set ourselves up for disappointment. I've seen this episode before, three times, in fact.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Let’s not get all blue now. We’ve been saying for months to all the naysayers that the garbage block and the flower didn’t necessarily mean disconfirmation.

Am I gonna back down now? Hell no.
I wish I had as much optimism as you do right now; I really do. The stick does go some way to disconfirming her as we've never had an item that's part of a character's identity appear in Smash and the character in question then becomes playable later before.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The Rambling Mushroom Lip theory is dead I guess. I am slightly pessimistic of her chances now. But I do not think it is over for her yet. Hoping for an AT. Or the best outcome, a playable character.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The Rambling Mushroom Lip theory is dead I guess. I am slightly pessimistic of her chances now. But I do not think it is over for her yet. Hoping for an AT. Or the best outcome, a playable character.
I hope you're right, I really do.

It's very weird to me, actually, that they'd update the flower model at all. The item itself, again, looks exactly the same as in SSB4...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I might be crazy but doesn't the Lip's Stick now look bigger in SSBU than in SSB4?
It's always scaled up or down to match the size of whoever is using it.

I'm just going to say this here and now--after today, I don't know if I can bring myself to support Lip anymore. The Smash of the current era has made its stance abundantly clear: focus on advertising and popular characters that international audiences would recognize and enjoy first, treat the domestic market as an afterthought. I don't want to get my hopes up and have them shattered when Lip's Stick decides to implicitly deconfirm her yet again. I don't think my heart can take it.

Maybe things will change before release, but as of now, I'm spent on Smash speculation. I don't want to be a part of it anymore. I'll still be around, but I will leave it to somebody else to make the inevitable "Lip for Smash 6" thread.

Last edited:

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
Well, it's been fun. I didn't have much hope for this character, but I guess this means Panel de Pon is doomed to rebranding. Maybe someday we'll get a true entry, but for now we keep on dreaming. Hell, not even Ashley made it.

I'm out of this thread as well. Not much I can add to the conversation, I'm afraid. Sakurai did say there are a few more character announcements to be made, so I guess we'll wait and see who they'll be. Most of the big names already made it (Ridley, K. Roll, and Simon), so maybe they be some new surprises (wasn't expecting Richter, that's for sure). I'm a little sad to say Lip sure won't be one of them.

Well, that's all from me. Keep on smashing.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Lip could still have a chance, even if it's at this point an infinitesimally small one. It's not a lot of hope, but sometimes you have to take what you can get. All I'll say is, at this point it's foolish to get your hopes up for her.

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
Oh hey!

That new N-Direct hold true to the memes once (or in this cases two times?) again.

Please feel free to correct me because I don't know the smashfandom of other regions. But were these new-character-picks pretty much highly anticipated by the western fandom (only)?

No Lip's stick in the direct! (tuned in @ Simon trailer). Banana gun gave me hope for banana gun. I mean the Smash Ultimate-roster-image may be seen as pretty much full but Mr. Sakurai said there are more new characters in the making so I hope it will be stretched to offer more place for the newcomer/s (granted this announcement was before meme Nr.3 was revealed so I hope this one is factored out for my *ehem* calculation). I hope Lip and a certain item are intruduced in the same scale (pun not intended) as Nr.3 . Why is that item withold for so long there must be a reason or is "everyone is in" not expandable for items?! P.S: So many Smash4 costumes as characters and AT but no sign of viridi.

There is a major magical girl (or in viridis case; god) conspiracy ongoing /jk at least there are Peach, Paulutena and RosaLu to disaprove it.

Enough of this for now that is.

The King K. Roll trailer was my personal highlight just mostly because of mischief and instant karma.

...As long as there character are be announced and straws are to pull I will be there. After smash is before a new smash. And there is stil that highly ,surely, explicit censored modi so there is more to come and more to lurk...

Everyone please don't let this direct demotivate you! The stance has not worsened!

With best regards

LipFlare

P.S. Smash has become so cutting-blade-edgy that my eyes may give out bloody tears form just watching: Blowing up Islands, stabbing of famous videogamecharacters. Whats next in store?!

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
LipFlare LipFlare ...well, this is an awkward situation. I hate to break it to you, but Lip's Stick was already confirmed just a few posts above yours. : (

Yeah, it seems like Smash these days is only focused on characters the western fanbase is notably vocal about. You like anyone else, you Do Not Matter. Even Ashley fans got screwed.

My point is that "everyone is here" is a goddamned lie and we should sue for false advertisement.

Last edited:

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
I see my post took way to long but that ... a ... new ..commer... clone... destroys my hope well I have an new sparring partner sandbag for training mode! It will an extended testing season!!! It remembered of a certain Pixiv image of Lip where she sit before a television with empty eyes watching Rosalinas debut.

Thats more devastating then I expected! Instant karma... so much for that.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
At least there's Miis, DLC, and the small but existent chance that she'll make the base roster. Again, you have to take your glimmers of hope where you can find them.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'll say that with the wand or without, Lip still has much more potential for a solid, non-invented moveset than Ashley ever would.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Oh, that's a huge shame, considering how even the vocal Japanese Ashley fanbase didn't manage to get their character in, I'm not really having much hope for Lip either then. That's very unfortunate.
It is indeed. I guess I'll have to put my energy into supporting Shantae (my second most wanted) seeing how her fiercest competition (Shovel Knight) is now an AT.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's tragic to see so many Lip fans completely lose hope over this one reveal. It really is. Maybe her chances of being a base roster or even DLC character aren't too hot, and maybe an Assist Trophy is the best thing we can hope for, but I really hope BluePikmin and I aren't the only ones left with a glimmer of optimism for good ol' Lippy.

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
It's tragic to see so many Lip fans completely lose hope over this one reveal. It really is. Maybe her chances of being a base roster or even DLC character aren't too hot, and maybe an Assist Trophy is the best thing we can hope for, but I really hope BluePikmin and I aren't the only ones left with a glimmer of optimism for good ol' Lippy.
Right now, I would be satisfied with just a plain trophy because then, at least people outside of Japan would be able to see the character herself instead of hearing about her existence through items or music..

D

Deleted member

Well, not much to say at this point, I remain cautiously optimistic. The fact that she wasn't shown as an Assist Trophy is both a blessing and a curse at the same time and if she's playable, I don't expect her to be revealed before the game is released.

And I see we're back to the item. Everyone has their own opinion on this, but to me it doesn't mean that much. People brought up Samus' Screw Attack in the past and I'll raise you one more:

Dark Pit also uses a staff in his Final Smash, notably which, unlike Pit's, hasn't changed. Granted, it's not 100% the same item, but a relation is there.

Another thing to note is... Ditto. Ditto shows that Sakurai doesn't forget past ideas even going all the way back to Melee and Lip was the second most requested character for an NES/SNES pick,, being beaten by Sukapon (who is an Assist) and beating Sable Prince (also Assist), Metroid (Assist) and even Pit and Ice Climber, who went on to become playable. So if he's still keeping track of things that were going on back then, it might actually be something to keep in mind.

Of course, none of that might mean anything, but hey, I'm just looking for silver linings at this point. And if Lip doesn't make it in the game after all, I'll just make my own one with Blackjack and hookers.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Ooh, good catch on the staff. I didn't make that connection until just now. Seems we've got another Screw Attack situation on our hands, ladies and germs. Don't tune out just yet!

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Well, not much to say at this point, I remain cautiously optimistic. The fact that she wasn't shown as an Assist Trophy is both a blessing and a curse at the same time and if she's playable, I don't expect her to be revealed before the game is released.

And I see we're back to the item. Everyone has their own opinion on this, but to me it doesn't mean that much. People brought up Samus' Screw Attack in the past and I'll raise you one more:

Dark Pit also uses a staff in his Final Smash, notably which, unlike Pit's, hasn't changed. Granted, it's not 100% the same item, but a relation is there.

Another thing to note is... Ditto. Ditto shows that Sakurai doesn't forget past ideas even going all the way back to Melee and Lip was the second most requested character for an NES/SNES pick,, being beaten by Sukapon (who is an Assist) and beating Sable Prince (also Assist), Metroid (Assist) and even Pit and Ice Climber, who went on to become playable. So if he's still keeping track of things that were going on back then, it might actually be something to keep in mind.

Of course, none of that might mean anything, but hey, I'm just looking for silver linings at this point. And if Lip doesn't make it in the game after all, I'll just make my own one with Blackjack and hookers.
What you have to remember in relation to the item is that the Screw Attack item, like the Launch Star and the Hocotate Bomb, was introduced as part of a character's moveset before becoming an individual item. We've never had an established item become part of a character's moveset before.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I honestly wouldn't give up hope over an item being shown. Well, if it isn't an AT/Pokeball/Stage Hazard, anyway.

It's not the same as the Dark Pit staff, but it's definitely in the same degree as it.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
What you have to remember in relation to the item is that the Screw Attack item, like the Launch Star and the Hocotate Bomb, was introduced as part of a character's moveset before becoming an individual item. We've never had an established item become part of a character's moveset before.
So? Smash Bros. has had plenty of unorthodox ideas before, like a newly represented third-party franchise getting two playable characters (hey Simon, hey Richter), or a third-party franchise getting non-playable representation (what's up, Monster Hunter and Bomberman), or an indie character being an Assist Trophy (sorry about your loss, Shovel Knight). We're long past the days of writing something off as something Smash has "never done before". While it's still prudent to keep your expectations in check, Lip's odds are probably still greater than we're giving her credit for. Even if it's just for an Assist appearance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom