• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The eternal debate: How will Brawl be controlled? CONTROLLER DISCUSSION HERE

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Once again, not to sound like his b****, but Dylan wasn't the one who transformed the thread- it was the ignorant users who brought up a topic that has been argued and discussed to death. All they had to do was read some old threads.

I bet not even half the stuff in here today hasn't been discussed extensively before.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I cannot believe Dylan managed to transform another completely unrelated thread into an argument about wavedashing. Can we PLEASE have some mod discipline here? This is getting absolutely ridiculous.
Wow. You little brown noser. I wouldn't be suprised if you got a warning for *** kissing. besides:

ME. I JUST POSTED THIS said:
About controller discussion... (I dont want this little sidetrack thing to destroy the thread entirely)

I need to buy a new GC controller for melee... man when you start playing really high level smash your controllers bust so fast T_T
So what's your little problem? You wanna post about controllers, do so. The rest of us still are. Sorry if you can't handle more than one topic of conversation.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
But then you ***** and complain and say that you won't play play brawl if wavedashing is not in it.
Yes, because Ive used it so much in melee. If it had never existed, I would never have known about it, hence I wouldnt care. I also would never have gotten good at SSBM, never would have gone to a tournament, and never would have met many friends of mine.

Before I knew about wavedashing I played smash casually, with a few friends with no real.. desire to go play with others since I knew id be *****.. but then I learned to wavedash.

Then I quit, and I played super smash 64, which helped my L cancelling game a bunch so I went back to melee, and suddenly I could SHFFL consistently.

Once I could SHFFL, I knew with time and practice I would get more techskill and better mindgames and would have a shot competing since I was already perfect at wavedashing, but always previously lacked shffling skills.

So now that WDing exists, hell no I won't play brawl if its not in there. Whats the point? So I can lose? Screw that, I really DONT have a problem playing the 2 previous games.. I mean some of you get really condescending and say things like...

some jerk said:
your Melee days are numbered unless you finally digress to fighting computer opponents all day long
As if. Im not the only one that LOVES melee, im sure many, many of you could never forget such a great game. SAME THING goes for ssb64, great game. Ill never stop playing it.

thats the problem with a lot of gamers today, its gotta be the ps3, the xbox 1260, the nintendo wii, the latest gear, the latest crap

What you don't realize is that the best games have pretty much already been made. And even if new games are coming out that are on par, or better than the old games, as it is very subjective as far as topics go

WHY do we have to forget about the past? Im not going to, Axemred isnt going to, Sensai isnt going to, Superstar isnt going to, to name a few of the posters in the brawl section alone who feel the same way I do.

So honnestly I feel bad for this new school of gamer thought wherein the sequel is always better than the original, and playing the games of the past is a bad thing.

By the way, Contra 3 is a better game than anything that will ever come out on ps3.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Once again, not to sound like his b****, but Dylan wasn't the one who transformed the thread- it was the ignorant users who brought up a topic that has been argued and discussed to death. All they had to do was read some old threads.

I bet not even half the stuff in here today hasn't been discussed extensively before.
QFT. and nah, if you were my b**** then I wouldn't respect you, which I greatly do lol. So don't worry about sounding like a fanboy for agreeing with me, besides. I'm right.

And yup, I didn't start jack this time, I just argued with em and then keep giving me fuel. I didnt flame anyone either, I was being told Im a huge nerd and have no life, etc etc usual last resort internet insults and was responding to them in a logical manner that exposes their hypocricy.

They asked for it this time, though I will confess I have been guilty of doing this to threads in the past. My prescence just puts fuel on the fire but once again Ill quote lemon drop

Lemon Drop said:
I say if you have something to say about someone's ignorance. Prove them wrong
Which I, Pscicle and G&W have done quite well. There's nothing really left to even argue unless another one of you wants a piece of me.

Controller discussion has pretty much died incase you haven't noticed.

There's 4 controllers. We get to pick one.. theres a thread to vote on which one you want.. we know how brawl will be controlled so this thread is just.. yeah. Kind of a spam fest at the moment, but at least some debate is going on and I put a LOT of effort into my thoughts and my posts so Im sure if a mod read this thread he would at least respect me for that.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Speaking of Contra III, I think I ought to download that on my Wii. I still have the first Contra on my NES- great memories with that.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Select Start.

Select was for when I was playing with my sister or dad.

Jeebus, I don't know how the hell somebody could beat that game with only three effin lives.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
No one could. I like contra 1 but contra 3 is just TOO good. Really difficult but at least possible with insane ammounts of skill

plus its easy with the dual fire glitch.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
So who believes that the tilt feature will be used with the wiimote turned sideways? I don't think there would be any other choice do to the lack of buttons and a joystick, and since most everyone has a nunchuck, they can use the nunchuck style if they don't want to use motion sensing.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
The only other way they could really pull everything off would be with button combinations- and I don't see that happening.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Either get back on topic or I'll close this and warn those off topic for spam.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I personally think Sakurai will try to implement the tilting the Wiimote can detect. It might determine whether it's a dash or a regular walk. Just tilt it far to the right while holding right and it will be a run.

Smash attacks I think would work kind of simmilar, but instead people would need to quickly move the Wiimote in the apropriate direction for that move. Forward is upward smash, for example.

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
I hate to say "I told you so," but . . .

*sigh* Nobody pays attention anymore, do they?

Along with the concept of the unheard of, there's also the concept of the universal. As in, different play styles can use different controller setups. I would like to point out that this is a possibility that can be exploited when Sakurai Masahiro finally puts something into that "Game Modes" section of his "DOJO!!" site.

Though to me, somebody using a Wiimote hybrid seetup against someone using a GC seems kind of awkward, not to mention nearly impossible to program. The Wii itself is not natively compatible with the Gamecube Controller unless it's running Gamecube software. Anybody who has tried to open thier Gamecube games on thier Wii using merely a Gamecube controller knows this fact first hand.

Though a setup of one controller style versus another may be impossible, that doesn't mean different style "modes" aren't. That would mean you would have to come to an agreement with your opponent about your method of fighting, though, and then select your mutual mode of choice. This will also make sense on a global scale, as Cross-Controller over the Internet seems just as improbable, if not even moreso, than Cross-Controller locally. Just select your prefered mode, hop on WiiConnect24, and battle like-minded people with similar Controllers!

And, to this very moment, everybody is still not paying attention to reason, as they stay in thier own little worlds flaming each other.

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
I used to beat Contra 3 as a child on Hard, by myself, with only 3 lives. Local neighborhood kids would actually gather at my house to watch.

It was kewl.

-Kye

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion

And, to this very moment, everybody is still not paying attention to reason, as they stay in thier own little worlds flaming each other.

But the thing is, you're totally wrong about not being able to play together with different controllers. I don't know where the hell you came up with that. If you weren't under that false pretense, you would've never thought of what you said in that quote anyways. You didn't present an example under that explanation either back when you said it.

If you would've said "I bet you could use the GC conroller and the Classic controller as well as the Wii Remote, but be able to use the Wii Remote two different ways" and nobody listened to you; than yeah, I suppose you could say "I told you so". The reason nobody listened to you the first time, was because they thought you were either high or crazy as soon as they read that you thought you couldn't play multiplayer with mixed controllers.

soaz

Smash Ace
i surely hope that you can play smash with different controllers at the same time.

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
I sure would like to play with mixed controllers as much as the next guy, but the thing is, realistically, I don't see how it's going to work.

Besides, the one part of my post your criticising is still some speculation that got leftover from the original post. The point was, everybody was going "It's only going to use Wiimote + Nunchuck," or "That's not possible, Sakurai said GC only," or stupid stuff like that, and then I posted the possibility that there will be multiple controller choices (posted under the "Game Modes" section of the "DOJO!!" site, no less), and was completely ignored.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Plenty of people predicted that there would be multiple controller choices.

Also, multiplayer VC games can mix controllers so I'm sure they could get it to work in a Wii game; just because they haven't done it yet doesn't mean it's impossible.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
the...way..he...types..is..more annoying than the typos.

But he's **** good at shiek so I respect you regardless h1roshi. All got our own style I suppose.

Sidius

Smash Journeyman

I'm sure they could get it to work in a Wii game; just because they haven't done it yet doesn't mean it's impossible.
actually they do, Metal Slug anthology let's u use different control styles in multiplayer...i've played multiplayer with my younger brother, me using the wii mote ( on it's side ) and my brother was using the GC controller :)

The Bino

Smash Lord

Actually this not being able to play Wii games with a GameCube controller thing is bogus, i have Naruto Shippuuden for Wii and you can either play Wii Mote/Nunchaku, or GameCube controller... as well as Mortal Kombat Armageddon... it is very logical, and im sure other games will do this as well, especially the Fighting Genre; which Brawl falls under

psicicle

Smash Ace
I think that the motion sensing controllers for smash is kind of analogous to using the xbox controllers for halo instead of a mouse and keyboard.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Sorta. But this is for controller discussion, too- which you wouldn've seen if you looked at the title of the thread.

Sensai

Smash Master
Back from my trip.

GAW, I thought you had ducked out of this thread. Miss it too much?

I don't want to create any social feux'pais (spelling), so I'm not going to say anything until I see a few posts about what conversation is like now.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Oh, I came back a LONG time ago. To much n00bishness to go unflamed. Anyway, good to have you back.

Reno>

Smash Journeyman
Any respectable smasher will start out with the GC controller, unless the others somehow prove worthy over time.

MastaWeeji

Smash Cadet
Any respectable smasher will start out with the GC controller, unless the others somehow prove worthy over time.
Not necessarily, good smashers who want a new fresh experience will try the other control options before just going with the GC.

Sensai

Smash Master
I dunno what I'll start with.

On one hand, I really REALLY like the Classic Controller. On the other hand, I enjoy me some rumble in my games. So, either the CC or the GCC.

I don't see myself using either of the Wii remote set-ups unless I have to.

MastaWeeji

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna start with Nunchuck + Wiimote as well, but one that i see would be hard to play smash with is the Sideways Wiimote setup. I think the Nunchuck + Wiimote feels just like the GCC but just split in half, minus C stick and D-pad in a different place... but i don't use D-pad much obviously, and C-stick can be easily be replaced by motion sensing.

Top Bottom