• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The eternal debate: How will Brawl be controlled? CONTROLLER DISCUSSION HERE

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Not with our extra thick wrist straps!

But seriously, how could you play with the Wiimote on it's side without motion sensing?

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
*Smacks forehead*

Now why the hell didn't I think of that?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Heres a better idea : Use a gamecube controller and dont be an idiot. Why make smash more difficult, the GC controller is obviously the best choice considering the heights smashers such as isai ken darkrain, etc have reached with it.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I don't know if that was directed at anyone, because if it was, I don't recall anyone saying they would prefer anything else. If it wasn't, I totally agree with you.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Highly doubt it, a while ago he said he wouldnt use motion controles in the main gameplay, meaning during matches, but who knows, I was surprised u can use the wiimote by itself...
There are so many occurances when a developer has said they won't or will do something only to later change it. Miyamoto said we wouldn't use the wiimote to control the sword in Zelda. In case you haven't played TP you do use the wiimote to control your sword.

MastaWeeji

Smash Cadet
Heres a better idea : Use a gamecube controller and dont be an idiot. Why make smash more difficult, the GC controller is obviously the best choice considering the heights smashers such as isai ken darkrain, etc have reached with it.
It's a challenge for people who like challenges/want to experience new style of gameplay.. besides, if you can get this down and if it was difficult to get, then wouldn't you feel better that you are that advanced of a player? i would...

The Bino

Smash Lord
If the Classic Controller is used in Main Gameplay, i think i am gonna try that first, since all buttons are at an equally set distance from each other, which in other words, being how the GameCube controller had different set up on the button layout, this might be better, but who knows, this is just what im gonna try first

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
It's a challenge for people who like challenges/want to experience new style of gameplay.. besides, if you can get this down and if it was difficult to get, then wouldn't you feel better that you are that advanced of a player? i would...
Ok, how about I cut my GC controller in half and master that? Would that make me a better player?

I think the better player will choose the controller that most comfortably fits the way he plays... and the Gamecube controller is probably going to fit most people..

however, maybe some people will own with the wii-mote or classic controller? who knows.

Im going with the GC controller, its got the c-stick. GG other controllers.

MastaWeeji

Smash Cadet
Yea, cutting the GC controller in half is almost like Wiimote+Nunchuck there, except no c-stick... but what i'm thinkin they are gonna do for controls is add a flick of the wrist up down left or right for c-stick action... which is a technique that if mastered, will be pretty nice.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Yea, cutting the GC controller in half is almost like Wiimote+Nunchuck there, except no c-stick... but what i'm thinkin they are gonna do for controls is add a flick of the wrist up down left or right for c-stick action... which is a technique that if mastered, will be pretty nice.
Why flip your wrist like Richard Simmons when you could casually push the c-stick with your thumb?

MastaWeeji

Smash Cadet
no need to exaggerate - a slight flick of the wrist is just as little work as a flick of the thumb, since your thumb has to go a little distance to reach the c-stick anyway. Just as anyone would do a small wrist movement to quickly move the mouse from one side of the monitor to the other. If you aren't up for that little work, then u don't have to do it, it's not really work to begin with, it doesn't bother me.

There are people exaggerating themselves swinging the Wiimote for Wii sports, while you can just do the basic flicks and it will respond the same way.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
I'm really hoping for some flicks with the chuck and wiimote. I'll give that a shot first since I find myself trying to pull my cube controlers apart to sprint or slash in certain games now:laugh: I'm a huge fan of the Chuch and Mote being usable. And personally, I find it quite comfortable with other games.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Should this be closed, now...Since the question is already answered?

Or, maybe it should be changed to "How will each controller work/What will you use?" Something like that?

MastaWeeji

Smash Cadet
although we know that brawl will use 4 different control schemes, this thread is still good for discussing how the wiimote could be used for gameplay i guess...

i'm really hoping for the flicks as well. and also, since the b button was placed in the back, i think it would be more comfortable if b was block, like R for the GC controls. I don't use the L button, so i'll need an R button still -_-...

jdironfist

Smash Cadet
Why flip your wrist like Richard Simmons when you could casually push the c-stick with your thumb?
Because it looks that much more sexy?

I don't know, I figure that while for the first year of Brawl, most of the "pros" will be using the GC controller (it's the one we're used to, after all), people will start becoming legitimately good using the other variations. I bet different variations will be easier to use with different characters, too. You never know.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Dylan, you make no sense.
If you like challenging games, that's cool and all... but Smash isn't a single-player game. If you want a challenge in there, go play against someone who's better than you. But making the game hard to play is just counter-productive. That's like making a specific controller for a game that contains lead weights to make the thing harder to hold up straight. You even contradict yourself by having said that the C-stick is important to make stuff like d-airs without fastfalling easier.

psicicle

Smash Ace
I dont think that a game where you lose 12 hours of progress is really hard; it's more discouraging and frustrating than demanding of skill.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised there's so much support for the GC controller before anyone has even TRIED the other methods (or, really, even heard how they work!). It's fine to predict you'll likely use the GC controller, but knocking the other styles before hearing anything about them just reeks of hypocrisy.

I look forward to trying all the play styles, just like I look forward to playing with items and playing on non-tournamentable stages. That's because the game is going to be fun to mess around with.

I swear, those people who just think of this game only as the next evolution of tournament play are really going to ruin it for themselves.

The Bino

Smash Lord
I'm surprised there's so much support for the GC controller before anyone has even TRIED the other methods (or, really, even heard how they work!). It's fine to predict you'll likely use the GC controller, but knocking the other styles before hearing anything about them just reeks of hypocrisy.
Quoted for TRUTH

Also i think the main reason why ppl are so quick to say the best choice is the GC controller, is because that's all they know, that's what they have been using for nearly 6 years so of course they are going to be more comfortable with it, but who is to say that the CC or WiiMote or WiiMote/Nunchaku isn't going to be the best one huh, noone until we get the game and deside for ourselves, just knocking someone elses ideas on how it should be is just plain ignorant on that person who is knocking it, it really shows how unreceptive that person will be come when Brawl is released

Its like ppl who say "if wavedashing isn't in it i won't play" and that's the dumbest thing i have ever seen and heard, WD is a glitch that the testers found but didn't delete because for some reason maybe either they couldn't at that time so they left it, or maybe they thought that it wasn't that serious of a glitch and ppl wouldn't think anything of it.... so again like i said ppl who are going to defend the stuff that is in Melee and how Melee is played and wish and want it carried over to Brawl... but here is the kicker folks, Brawl isn't Melee, its Brawl... a different game, its a sequel to Melee, but different.... plays similar, but different.... it's like saying Final Fantasy 7 is the same as Final Fantasy 8 or something along those lines

Infil

Smash Journeyman
I just think it's incredibly goofy for so many people on these forums to expect Melee in a different box. They refuse to accept that Brawl is a different game, with different mechanics and different balance than Melee. It will likely control differently, be played differently at a casual and a tournament level, and there's a good reason for this: it's a different game.

People can be used to one style of play, and it's perfectly fine if this style transfers well to Brawl. However, making that assumption (and hating the game if it doesn't end up like that) is just incredible infantile to me.

Why can't people be excited to try out new control styles, new characters, new advanced techniques? Why do so many people want exactly the same thing they've been playing for 6 years?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm gonna try out Wiimote+nuchuka, GC and CC if I get one, but I don't think I'll try just the wiimote unless I'm bored or something.

I'm not really excited for new control schemes though, I'm still recovering from the info, we now have 4 choices [instead of the 2-3 I orginally thought we'd have] =)

MastaWeeji

Smash Cadet
U know, this will be somewhat of a hassle if this gets down to tournament play... If the other controls schemes are just as good, many people will get used to different ones, and tournament holders will need to have many different controllers just to hold a 4 person melee tournament.

4 Wiimotes, 4 nunchucks, 4 classics, 4 GC controllers ><

The Bino

Smash Lord
U know, this will be somewhat of a hassle if this gets down to tournament play... If the other controls schemes are just as good, many people will get used to different ones, and tournament holders will need to have many different controllers just to hold a 4 person melee tournament.

4 Wiimotes, 4 nunchucks, 4 classics, 4 GC controllers ><
That's why there is something known as Bring Your Own Controller

SWORDMASTER66

Smash Cadet
I will most likely use the GC controller because that's just what i'm used too. But I will try the wii-mote and the wii-mote with nunchuck, but not classic controller because I don't have 1 and don't plan on buying 1.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Dylan, you make no sense.
If you like challenging games, that's cool and all... but Smash isn't a single-player game. If you want a challenge in there, go play against someone who's better than you. But making the game hard to play is just counter-productive. That's like making a specific controller for a game that contains lead weights to make the thing harder to hold up straight. You even contradict yourself by having said that the C-stick is important to make stuff like d-airs without fastfalling easier.
Challenging, as in not removing technique such as Wavedashing and the like. I highly doubt theyll remove L cancelling or Fast falling, or teching, or any of that stuff.

Wavedashing though, the game would be way less awesome without it, and way less challenging.. in a sense since your opponent cant punish you as easily for your mistakes so you're allowed to make more of them.

Thats gay.

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
I's fenna try alla them new controls! Ooh a b*tch gon have som fun wit dat sh*t!

The one that I wonder most about is with the wiimote alone sideways. Does anyone have any predictions for any controller functionality?
For instance, with the way the buttons are laid out, I can't help but wonder if this control scheme will utilize the wii's motion sensing capabilites.

Agree/Disagree/Additional Predictions?

Mamush

Smash Cadet
To Dylan_Tnga

I read a couple pages ahead and saw that you practicaly worship wavedashing. So much to the point that you even said you wouldn't play Brawl if it didn't have it. You would just keep playing Melee...

Welp, have fun playing it alone, because it's obvious your not a TRUE Smash fan if you only played the game for a glitch. I dont know about you or anyone else for that matter, but I played Melee because it was fun. I also see myself as a casual gamer who plays games as a hobbie, is pretty good at them, and also has a LIFE. Seriously, stop living in the past when everyone knows whether Brawl has wavedashing or NOT it will be the better game. Melee was rushed in production and in many ways was NOT perfect.

That sucks. I hate nintendo for that. Capcom makes games with the intentio of causing the people playing them to throw things at the wall because of the difficulty.

And I love every minute of a capcom game.

Best example :

Breath of Fire 5 for ps2 (an RPG)
And that is why you will never be a business man.

The Bino

Smash Lord
To Dylan_Tnga

I read a couple pages ahead and saw that you practicaly worship wavedashing. So much to the point that you even said you wouldn't play Brawl if it didn't have it. You would just keep playing Melee...

Welp, have fun playing it alone, because it's obvious your not a TRUE Smash fan if you only played the game for a glitch. I dont know about you or anyone else for that matter, but I played Melee because it was fun. I also see myself as a casual gamer who plays games as a hobbie, is pretty good at them, and also has a LIFE. Seriously, stop living in the past when everyone knows whether Brawl has wavedashing or NOT it will be the better game. Melee was rushed in production and in many ways was NOT perfect.
Quoted for TRUTH

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I don't think they really had much of choice...

In terms of competive playability, it'll probably be GCN = CC (in six years some people will probably be as good with the CC at SSBB as people are now with the GCN controller at SSBM, though, its wirelessness [and that of the other controllers] might get it counted out from some tournaments, with its lag and possible interference).
> Wiimote and Nunchuk (you'll get owned because of harder to DI aerials/screwed up up or down aerials...unless those crazy freezeframes from the trailers remain and are there to compensate for this <_<.)
> Wiimote (which doesn't seem responsive enough or practical enough for serious play.)

Xiao-Xiao

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm using the Wiimote/Nunchuck since my brother lost my effing GC controller. I don't have money to buy a Classic one either.

Mamush

Smash Cadet
Did anyone not see why Sakurai said he prefered the GCN controller?

"I suppose I would recommend the Nintendo GameCube controller, though. I like the feel of that powerful rumble." - Sakurai

He liked the rumble... Even with that not in mind there really is no debate on which is best at the moment. My suggestion is that you atleast try them all and use which one you like the most. :p

Conker1

Smash Ace
As I said before Dylan, I pity you.

You rely on and love wavedashing so much, that you wouldn't play Melee if it wasn't in the game.

The Bino

Smash Lord
cant you guys find GC controllers anymore? ive bought 2 new ones at a store here in the past month (they were the last two, though...hopefully just for the moment.)
Like i constantly keep saying

If you can't find anymore GC controllers - Go to nintendo.com and order some, they have them just purchase it from them and you will receive it within 10 days or so

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I just wanted to say that with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck combo, the D-Pad on the Wiimote could work as a C-Stick. Try messing around with it- as if you were playing. It's actually quite comfortable.

I prefer the C-Stick as well, but that works pretty good too, I can imagin SHFFLCing n00bs with my D-Pad.

The n00bs will be all like:

U is teh noobiness! U uses the c-stick! N00B!

And I'll be like:

Haha, I use the D-Pad noob, you wish you had that skill.

Yomon

Smash Apprentice
When I get Brawl, I plan on using the GCN controller scheme last... I want to see what the other controls feel like first. I just know that if I try the GCN controller first it will be hard for me to try anything else and enjoy it. Although in the end, I think I may go back to the comfort of the GCN controller.

Also, this is just a crazy idea of mine, but I belive it would be possible to play up to 8 player matches in Brawl if you use four Wiimotes and four GCN controllers. Although I think they would be more for fun and I imagine it would be less challenging and mostly getting randomly hit everywhere by a bunch of people playing the game. <_<

Kind of sadly, this idea is disprooved by the official site saying "Players: 1-4".

Top Bottom