• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Essence of Wolf: A Guide to Wolf COMPLETELY REWRITTEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
Yes, that would be a good method if you wanted full forward momentum, but what if you wanted to do a retreating Fair? That is extremely hard with the method you've described. You have a window of about 3 frames to input all your commands.
ive recently started tyring to use the flesh part of my thumb on "Y" and the first joint (not the knuckle) of the thumb on "A" so same method from Y to forward A then fling the d-stick back.

kinda similar to forward momentum bair

Sofa0990

Smash Rookie
How do you do 0lag Fairs anyway?
I can see that Fair comes out very quickly and despite quick button changes i still encounter landing lag. is there a certain piont at which you should jump into an Fair again?

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Sheik vs Wolf is not even close to an even matchup. Probably 10/0 in Sheiks favor. Sat down with M2K the other day, and he could reliably 20-to-death me with Ftilt lock to Upsmash as I tried to smash DI and air dodge out. Smash DI up might get you out before 100.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Maybe you should use the control stick for jumping and the c-stick for attacking? I use a similar method for canceling Ganondorf's dair, so it might work.
Aye, that's what I've found to be the most reliable method. If you attack with the C-Stick during your jumping animation (before you leave the ground which is about 4 frames or so), then you will automatically short hop. Then you are free to DI however you please. This allows for maximum control and efficiency. You just have to practice so you don't do Forward Smashes or Full Jumps.

ive recently started tyring to use the flesh part of my thumb on "Y" and the first joint (not the knuckle) of the thumb on "A" so same method from Y to forward A then fling the d-stick back.

kinda similar to forward momentum bair
Wow... complicated much?

How do you do 0lag Fairs anyway?
I can see that Fair comes out very quickly and despite quick button changes i still encounter landing lag. is there a certain piont at which you should jump into an Fair again?
Practice. Try using the control stick to jump and the c-stick to attack nearly simultaneously.

I use both control sticks. My left hand jumps with the control stick and my right attacks with the C-stick.

It can take practice but what I did was short hopping across final destination while trying to do them consecutively.
Yeah.

EDIT:
Sheik vs Wolf is not even close to an even matchup. Probably 10/0 in Sheiks favor. Sat down with M2K the other day, and he could reliably 20-to-death me with Ftilt lock to Upsmash as I tried to smash DI and air dodge out. Smash DI up might get you out before 100.
Perhaps you just suck?

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Perhaps you just suck?
Doubtful. It doesn't take a genius to see that Sheik gets massive damage on Wolf via Ftilt and that smash DI doesn't help much.

Also, how high have you placed with Wolf in large/credible tournaments recently?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Doubtful. It doesn't take a genius to see that Sheik gets massive damage on Wolf via Ftilt and that smash DI doesn't help much.
No, it wouldn't take a genius, since it's an empirical question whether Sheik can ftilt lock a Wolf, one that is shown or disproved by experiment, which is to say, to make plain to the senses (even of an imbecile) whether it's possible.

The result won't just fall out of speculation, even for a "genius."

Also, how high have you placed with Wolf in large/credible tournaments recently?
Wow. Where'd that come from?

Anyway, did anyone notice my post about ISJR for Wolf on the last page? It was right in the middle so... I don't know how it was missed.

Mikeey

Smash Rookie
been lookin through this forum <very great forum btw keep up the good work> and seen that some people had trouble with doing the boost smash. if its alrdy been posted sry in advance i must have over looked it but here is what i do just try to have an open mind about it ^^;.

I changed my controller settings on my name so that tap jump is off <not rly ground breaking there> and my Z button is switched from being a Grab to being Attack just like the A button. ( I don't use Z to grab rly at all an i can still do fancy turn grabs an all that jaz shield grabbing so at least try to look into sacrifices must be made i suppose ^^;) When Z button is an Attack the timing for an up smash seems to be much more lenient. and with this setting u dont get that running groaning grab that just leave u open for attack XD

I actually keep it cuz its much kinder to my poor thumbs b(^.^)d and when i have Z as an attack it makes my 0lag Fairs a lot ezer. Just try boost smashing like this in training mode an see how ya like it it wont kill ya =p

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
I second sheik guys, wolf has a deffinent advanntage. First off proper spacing will prevent most ftilts and any more of retaliation of shieks. Second u do not DI up to get out of shieks ftilt, if he's going full speed DI towards shiek, if he's going like 90% or slower speed DI down and shield. Sheik will struggle with killing u after ur damge gets up, realize her only strong ko move is her upsmash if you are in the air. Advantage wolf over shiek.

I also give advantage kirby in kirby vs wolf. Wall of kirby > wolf wall, the range is about even, but Kirby has greater mobilitiy. Kirby can also chain grab wolf to 42% if kirby is any good. Kirby can also kill wolf relatively low precent with fsmash, then you factor in his height makes retreating aerials very dangerous. Still got gimps and kirby sides. I give advantage kirby.

KUROK

Smash Cadet
This guide is hella useful, learnt a lot from it. Kudos to you good sir, looking forward to any updates that may happen.

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
i dunno, probably just me or the ddd i play but i lose like 6 out of 4 games to him. maybe im playing to aggressive and hes punishing me with chain grabs. ill hopefully have vids of myself this week.

al'Thor

Smash Rookie
cool guide, I was going to be a diddy main but started to like wolf more because of his more powerful attacks. Keep updating the guide kosk!

FIYAAA

Smash Rookie
Wolf is my main, his moves are strong but his blaster is abit dodgy but good
overall hes 8/10 for me.

Alain

Smash Cadet
thanks i loved this thread and i agree with the Donkey Kong part alot i can never beat that bair with mine

BanKai029

Smash Cadet
k correct me if im wrong but i find that wolfs up tilt kos much better and at lower damge than his up smash, but like you said, up smash trumps up tilt because of its hitbox

and good thread btw
I find if people only half sheild your Up smash they go flying sideways instead of up its pretty neat

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Regarding a few of the matchups...

Olimar vs Wolf: 6:4 Wolf's favor, Olimar's got some impressive grab combos on Wolf as well as epic range, Bair doesn't seem to work so well due to his...height. Plus all those darned Pikmin X_X

Snake vs Wolf: 6:4 snake's favor, I feel this match up is a little more even than it was, stay in the air to avoid his Ftilt, his Mortars can be reflected right back at him, Bair works extremely well against him. Everytime he uses the grenade drop, you can just grab him and he won't do it much longer. ALong with all that, Snake has a hard time avoiding Wolf's lasers, Oh, and Fsmash > Snake's Ftilt. Still has the weight thing against him, but still, not quite as bad as 7:3. Still an uphill battle though.

Metaknight: 8:2 Dude, this guy is a hard counter to Wolf, You play a good MK and you're gonna lose with Wolf. Metaknight Outspaces you, outpaces you, outprioritizes you, out EVERYTHINGs you. This matchup is insanely hard. As mentioned all of his moves outspace all but laser and Fsmash. And MK's Dsmash > all. I There simply is no move that is faster. MK is a hard counter to Wolf.

What else... D3 seems fine. Although, I've been seeing some pretty gay stuff, obviously the chaingrab infinite D3 can do on Wolf, and I've been seeing D3 Grab -> Grab release -> UpSmash. It appears inescapable, unless Wolf can fastfall out of it... which I doubt.

Falco vs Wolf: 7:3 Falcos favor, if done right , the chaingrab can do 70% per stock, so, per match, that's 210 percent, nearly a stock and a half worth of damage. COMPLETELY FREE. Falco also has an excellent spacing game due to his reflector and Falco's freakin' lasers... Wow. THis is a good sized uphill battle for Wolf.

G&W: 6:4 GaW's favor. I say Wolf can hold his own against GaW, you kinda have to work to get the lasers in, but it's possible, you can still space with lasers. GaW's Bair you're just going to have to get around, but the rest of his moveset is fairly avoidable, his Fair can be outspaced, same with Dair, and Fsmash (You just gotta wait on the Fsmash) And since he's light, he goes down in a hurry. But GaW is tolerable, an uphill battle granted, but not quite as bad as you said.

Luigi vs Wolf - Dead even. Both of these guys have prowess in the air, I'd say just about equal (Due to Luigi's Sex Kick) His Fireball can be an annoying projectile. Luigi has an excellent recovery, and great killing moves.

Zelda vs Wolf - 6:4 Wolf is at a disadvantage here due to Zelda's smashes n' stuff. However, it's not as bad as you said it was. Bair works great against Zelda Lasers do as well, Din's fire can be reflected, Just stay in the air, avoid Upsmash, and you're good.

Shiek vs Wolf - WTF??!?!?!?! 6:4? What're you smoking? O_O Shiek's Ftilt combos can be DIed out of with ease (Except at zero percent and if it's only 1 ftilt_ Other than that, Wolf has a considerably better ground game, slightly better airgame, Shiek can't kill, Wolf's heavy, while Shiek's light and Wolf has Dsmash. I'd say this is about even, maybe even 6:4 Wolf's favor. Nah, even because she can gimp his recovery with needles >_> That gets annoying.

Wolf vs Wolf: 10:0 Wolf's favor, now matter how many times you play the match, Wolf will always win.

Other than all that, I think you're list is nice. ALthough I was a little confused at liggly puff, she's always given me drouble. Her aerials seem to outprioritize mine o.O That just could be me with bad spacing or the other person being a good Jiggly, I don't know, so could you please look into it or something? That was the only one I wasn't sure on.

"C"let

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight: 8:2 Dude, this guy is a hard counter to Wolf, You play a good MK and you're gonna lose with Wolf. Metaknight Outspaces you, outpaces you, outprioritizes you, out EVERYTHINGs you. This matchup is insanely hard. As mentioned all of his moves outspace all but laser and Fsmash. And MK's Dsmash > all. I There simply is no move that is faster. MK is a hard counter to Wolf.
oppositely I think wolf is a hard counter for Mk. MK has some good spacing but with some more usage of blaster and reflector it'll do wonders on him especially the reflector. starting with the blaster you can turn his spacing against him the blaster cancels 3 of Mk most effective moves , which are his Up B and Forward B and the tornado, secondly is the reflector which is the most important. if you time it right you can cancel all of the attacks mentioned above and some of his close range attacks. after hitting with a reflector his open for a grab, a down smash or a fsmash. edge guarding MK is the hardest part for me but if you are a good edge guard and you are good with wolf's bair it wont be a problem, but I still prefer to play it safe with out edge guarding. overall the thing you have to know is how the player using MK is playing him (I mean if he spams the tornado and Up b's a lot or a close range player with more grabs).

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
o.O MK has moves that start faster than the reflector. The only things that outrange MK's sword is blaster and Fsmash. And reflector to Down smash/Fsmash can be shielded. And what about his aerial game that's better than Wolf's? MK also is better than Wolf in the ground game (With his Ftilt n' stuff) Ftilt and Dtilt simply ****, and not to mention his Dsmash...

I swear, ask most MK mains they'll say MK is a counter to Wolf.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
ok, people really need to just trust the prevailing wisdom when it comes to wolf vs. MK.

It's not even and it never will be. It's clearly an uphill battle for Wolf. Yeah, your blaster and reflector help, but they are your ONLY helpful moves basically and they are easily avoided by a good MK.

And forward B is not one of MK's most effective moves. If you think it is you haven't played a good one.

"C"let

Smash Journeyman
And forward B is not one of MK's most effective moves. If you think it is you haven't played a good one.
honestly in my last tournament I played a lot of MK that mostly spammed up B's and tornados thats why I started spamming my blaster....but yeah maybe I haven't played a good one :s

"C"let

Smash Journeyman
good Metas do not spam up B and tornado.
sadly the tournament that I went to was full of spamming MK and the worst thing is that most of them advanced to the finals

no one is replying does this mean that wolf has no combos and his bair is no good
yeah of course no will reply when you posted your second reply 2 min after the first one.....his Bair is amazing it has 0lag watch a couple of wolf videos and you'll see how and when it's used

Clevr

Smash Apprentice
So, U-Tilt does 10%, and kills Mario at 130%, and U-Smash does 18%, and kills at 128%. Right?

You say U-Tilt is an "okay" KO move, and U-Smash is a "great" KO move, but in reality, they're both pretty much the same (KO-wise).

Because U-Smash does more damage, can be charged, and is involved with the DACUS (Boost Smash) approach, isn't it smarter to spam U-Smash, getting more damage in, and keep U-Tilt fresh for KOing lighter characters?

Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom