• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Essence of Wolf: A Guide to Wolf COMPLETELY REWRITTEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Well, you can use both, but most prefer Nair.

btw, Nair can continually hit them, making a more effective edgeguard. Shine only hits them once, but has more hitstun.
No, nair is not more effective than shine against spacies. Shine below the ledge is a free kill. Nair is nowhere near as reliable as a 100% kill from shine, but it can still work.

I know theres more than jus the wolf guide.
Isn't there a wolf guide for like, pros or something?
The only other wolf guide I know about is the one by the wolf back room, its probably somewhere on the second page. It provides alternate perspectives and is made by multiple people so it's arguably less bias.

:059:

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping you know how to scar and semi-scar, if you do then that is a big part of recovery, otherwise practice the angles at which Wolf moves when recovering under the stage with up B. The up B control is a component that is annoying, but when you can do it, it makes things so much easier with recovery and can surprise others when they think you are done for.

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
You can go through almost any stage with the side B by holding down after the move starts up, that's how you semi-scar. You can do it at any distance and you can even fully skip a ledge by holding down. I've found that I can sweetspot an opponent on the ledge by holding down until it does the flash, then releasing it so that I can grab the ledge itself. To scar you have to push away from the ledge, then immediately hit side B. It's only possible on some stages and is risky but it can sweetspot someone a little distance away from the edge and you land in the middle of the stage.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Before a full month passes:

the half cancel is also an AMAZING recovery move as it can almost double wolfs horizontal recovery if timed right, due to the fact that it no longer cancels the horizontal momentum
plus, the full cancel also preserves momentum, so if you fµ©k up the half cancel, you may still recover
QFT.

But I gotta say, I don't see a use for the short cancel. Ever. The damage is the same as the purple trail, it's not very much, and there's no fake-out value I can discern.

... maybe in some hypothetical recovery situation. Is it faster than Fire Wolf? And, this could be it: Do you have the power multiplier* while executing Up-B but not after getting momentum for this move?

*It is found that you take extra damage and knockback while executing an attack.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
You're probably right, CO18.

Also, what is the difference between Scarring and Semi-scarring? I am not seeing that it exists. I just see Scarring is Semi-scarring but from starting points matching a certain description. Isn't that just an application detail?

EDIT: I almost forgot:

There may be profit in looking at the Jigglypuff Perfect Rest data to find ways to use Shine. That is, tactical data for Jigglypuff on moves that can be interrupted with a Rest (e.g. Diddy's Fsmash). It won't perfectly translate since Jiggs' Rest hitbox comes out much faster, but the frame 1 invincibility -> hitbox w/o lag property is the same.

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
Scarring is when you go through the stage from the edge. You have to DI off the ledge when hanging from it, then side B towards the stage.

Semi-scarring is when Wolf goes through the stage at distance and comes up more towards the edge of the stage.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Scarring is when you go through the stage from the edge. You have to DI off the ledge when hanging from it, then side B towards the stage.
But why would it necessarily not be scarring if I were simply to use Wolf Flash from the same position, without touching the ledge first?

Semi-scarring is when Wolf goes through the stage at distance and comes up more towards the edge of the stage.
What do you mean by "come up"?

You're not talking about the ledge glitch where characters stop there and get an SJ back, are you?

tedeth

Smash Master
Basically semi scarring is scarring without grabbing the edge first. It's perfectly valid to have them as two seperate techniques because not all stage edges can be scarred.

Holms

Smash Ace
Wolf's dtilt can lock people against a wall like Ike's f-grab or dk's dtilt. You can also dtilt out of his reflector (if you hit someone) or use it for mix-ups, like in his jabs. I find dtilt fairly useful, even if I don't use it often.

StarWolf234

Smash Cadet
For me its hard to use Wolf's Neutral Aerial....I can probably hit it when on Battlefield if I have a chance.

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
But why would it necessarily not be scarring if I were simply to use Wolf Flash from the same position, without touching the ledge first?

What do you mean by "come up"?

You're not talking about the ledge glitch where characters stop there and get an SJ back, are you?
The scars are done only with the side B of Wolf. From what it looks like, Wolf goes over the edge without grabbing it. If you scar or semi-scar you basically skip the ledge in front of you entirely.

The difference between the two is that scarring goes from the ledge and looks like Wolf teleports through the stage landing slightly above the middle of the stage. Semi-scarring is basically done at any distance from the stage, as long as you know the distance you want to land you can skip the ledge and land on the stage instead.

-Aura-

Smash Rookie
Great guide man, I especially like the tip where you should pick up Ganondorf instead of Wolf.

Zync

Smash Journeyman
I kinda like the falco strategy though hahahaha, anyways, vs falco i always ban FD, then i Dair camp on the plataforms until i get 40% then i start playing normally, without the Chaingrab falco is doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom