• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Essence of Wolf: A Guide to Wolf COMPLETELY REWRITTEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Well, up throw is certainly a borderline useless throw. Back throw is a bit better, and it has a few uses, but everything pales in comparison to down throw.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
I find back grab useful for going into combos especially in a gimping situation.
No, you cannot go into any "combos" from back throw.

It's not much for gimping either since it sends the opponent upwards, which makes it easier for them to recover. Wolf's best and only throw for gimping is downthrow, and it's not that easy to do with that one.

The only reason I can think to use back throw if if your back is to the ledge and you really really want them off of it, but even then they can DI it to get over your head and onto the stage.

Absoltrainer

Smash Rookie
Dash Attack
Uses- Punishing a missed tech, gtfo my face move
Damage- 9%
KO Potential- Very very limited
Description- Wolf runs forward and does a backflip kick. Depending on where you hit your opponent, the trajectory they travel changes. If you hit them right up close, the go up, if you hit them from further away, they go more sideways. Overall, I try not to use this attack at all

One thing I want to point out (and this may already be common knowledge) but the dash attack is able to hit an opponet that is laying down on their back (before they get up) so if you are close enough when they fall on their back, you can use it to keep them from getting back on their feet.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Very nice guide!!
Its very complete, wolf is one of my secondaries and i would like to get better with him
Now i know why i couldnt use wolf so well... i had a lot of bad habits ( too much Nair, dash attack, bthrow, wolf illusion attacking andfire wolf approaching(this one because of the lulz, but still))... LOL, all of those mistakes mentioned in this thread :p..
Im sure this thread will help me get better, thanks for it.. and i still have to get better at some other stuff. like spiking and recovering, in which i have a lot of trouble... but i like a lot wolf's playstile and i think i will become very good with him :D

brawl_n00b

Smash Rookie
I think that the guide will help me become better with Wolf and stop using his illusion attack all the time, lol. His up smash his helpful in Multi Man Brawl as well (except cruel brawl ((not sure)) ).

Silver13

Smash Cadet
I really dont get how to Boost Smash. Before I press Up + Z I do a Dash Attack because the combo has a Dsmashin it. The Combo confuses me really... Dash > Dsmash > Up +Z, I just cant seem to do it =(

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
I really dont get how to Boost Smash. Before I press Up + Z I do a Dash Attack because the combo has a Dsmashin it. The Combo confuses me really... Dash > Dsmash > Up +Z, I just cant seem to do it =(
It's actually not D-smash, its dash attack. Hence the alternate name, Dash-Attack Cancelled Up-Smash.

Maybe you got confused with the explanation. It's not actually the D-smash that you need to do, it's the input you do for the attack, which is c-stick down, or any other input you have based on your controller setting.

In other words, the input to boost smash should be Dash > C-stsick down > Up+Z. It doesn't have to be c-stick down, its just considered the easiest by many.

It's easier to get down with Snake and Link, since their timings are way easier than Wolf's,so practice with them first before trying Wolf.

Practice makes perfect :)

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
It's actually not D-smash, its dash attack. Hence the alternate name, Dash-Attack Cancelled Up-Smash.

Maybe you got confused with the explanation. It's not actually the D-smash that you need to do, it's the input you do for the attack, which is c-stick down, or any other input you have based on your controller setting.

In other words, the input to boost smash should be Dash > C-stsick down > Up+Z. It doesn't have to be c-stick down, its just considered the easiest by many.

It's easier to get down with Snake and Link, since their timings are way easier than Wolf's,so practice with them first before trying Wolf.

Practice makes perfect :)
Wait so u Dash> hold the c-stick down> up + z at the same time?? if so i been doing wrong too

Also question, this may have been discussed but can u chain grab wolf's d-throw?

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
You have to be running first, then hit down on your C stick, which will start you in your dash attack. Then you hit up on the C stick and at the same time hit Z. It's tough to time though, I'm much more consistent with Snake's

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
You can tech chase the down throw. A tech chase is where you predict if your opponent will get up, roll, or get up attack, and act accordingly to get another grab and repeat.

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
You have to be running first, then hit down on your C stick, which will start you in your dash attack. Then you hit up on the C stick and at the same time hit Z. It's tough to time though, I'm much more consistent with Snake's
Thanks for the tip...i thought u had to move the control stick up and then z

could it b done wit the Wii + Nunchuck? like snake with the tap smash?

You can tech chase the down throw. A tech chase is where you predict if your opponent will get up, roll, or get up attack, and act accordingly to get another grab and repeat.
thanks Ishiey....got to try that

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Well, DAC CAN be done with wiichuch, but it's a lot more difficult than with GC. If you set your dpad to smashes, you can do it by dash > down on pad > up on pad. It's not easy, and you have to tap each one seperately (as in let it return to neutral before putting in the next command, like a c-stick).

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
Well, DAC CAN be done with wiichuch, but it's a lot more difficult than with GC. If you set your dpad to smashes, you can do it by dash > down on pad > up on pad. It's not easy, and you have to tap each one seperately (as in let it return to neutral before putting in the next command, like a c-stick).
wat about the "Z" on the GC...there is no grab need for W + N??

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Well....... :(

You need a grab to charge it. If you set the taunt buttons to grab, maybe press them with your palm while using it? Lol. This is the one real problem with wiichuck, you can't grab comfortably outside of shieldgrabs. You could try setting C to grab, if you don't use it for jumping. But you can still use it without having it charged this way, take my word for it. Either way though, GC controller does it better.

EDIT: wait, this stuff should be posted in the Q&A sticky >_>

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
True...very true....i agree

Does anyone think its possible to combine use of the DAC and the reflector??

idk if it could work but its thought

egan

Smash Rookie
this guid rocks i liked the last one pretty well but this one is even better!!!

Tucker!

Smash Rookie
k so i wanna play wolf really badly, but i have a few problems, i can combo with him, i know a few AT'S, but the whole recovery part is what really really throws me off, sometimes his recovery for me is so bad that i cant figure out a way around it, ive watched the germ play, and somehow he gets around it really well, so any helpful advice or tips on a way around being gimped by my own recovery, it would be greatly appreciated

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I learned recovery by going into training, hitting a dummy CPU offstage, going for the spike, and then making it back to the ledge. Try this for about a week straight, or something similar. Recovery just takes practice, it'll become second nature before you know it.

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
You could also jump off the stage and put yourself in awkward angles off the stage and try to recover from there.

Vista

Smash Journeyman
Why would you nair a space animal out of their Up B

Why not shine

Slithe

Smash Apprentice
Unless you already said it on the first page (which I didn't know if you were referring to it when you mentioned aerials and tilts in the same section), I think a decent combo that seems to work when I play as Wolf is Bair into Ftilt. Since the Bair has virtually no landing lag (as does the Fair as long as you input the command at the initial startup of a SH, but that's risky in case you do it wrong and have to face landing lag) you can follow it up quickly with a Ftilt.

Otherwise, good guide! :)

Malart

Smash Apprentice
In the AT section, i think you should mention illusion cancelling. It works with fox falco and wolf, but its most useful with wolf because:
A. Illusion has more of a start-up lag, so it gives the opponent time to start a punisher for when you get to them in the air
B.Wolf can do a full cancel, which slides him forward maybe half the full distance and still hits them at the very beginning
C.Wolf can also do a half cancel, which takes him about 3/4 of the full distance in the air, then upon landing, he slides so far that he actuall gets more distance
D.More fun mindgames

*Edit*

the half cancel is also an AMAZING recovery move as it can almost double wolfs horizontal recovery if timed right, due to the fact that it no longer cancels the horizontal momentum
plus, the full cancel also preserves momentum, so if you fµ©k up the half cancel, you may still recover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom