• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Edmonton Melee Power Ranking (updated: March 2010)

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Just wanted to address some things:

I'm just sick of everyone treating this game like it's ****ing gold
k
FastFox said:
especially since the power rankings are based solely on tournament placings. Let's say I lose to Victor in the tournament, then we play friendlies and I kick his *** every single time. What, then, justifies the position of myself and Victor on the PR?
The comparison of both Victor and your consistency in a tournament setting.

Alphican said:
I also dissagree with the PR based only on tournament placing. Pools or no pools, seeded or not seeded, some times tournaments don't do justice to how good a player actually is
And friendlies do? if there is even the tiniest inkling of friendlies affecting the PR, then you have to try to compare the value of a friendly to the value of a tournament match. Are 30 wins straight in friendlies=1 tournament win? 20 wins straight? What if one player simply cannot beat another in a tournament setting no for 5 years straight, but can 4 stock the other in friendlies all day?

Those types of questions can't be answered to the satisfaction of everyone, and are the ones that came up when we made a PR that gave value to friendly matches. In my opinion you simply can't have those situations in an effective PR.

Alphican said:
and some times it makes a player look better then they are
It makes them "look" exactly how good they are

It's all about who you beat, and who you lose to. Only a fool would look at tournament results and pass good judgement on a player based on the number beside their name. The first thing I always ask is "who did ____ lose to". So should you.

also Joel vs Levi money match? It's Joel's call...

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I wasn't talking about placings, I was talking about matches. If I was pitted against you, Carl, in a tournament and won, it doesn't necessarily mean I am better. 1 set doesn't make up for a year of absolute ****. Also if I played against a semi-well known player in a tournament from a different area, I may win beacuse he's not used to my style, or I get supremely lucky (suiciding). And it's not like you could just say "well then he's just inconsistent" because everyone has a ****ty match/set every once and awhile.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
How would considering friendlies fix any of those?

All of those instances involve considerations that should be taken about tournament matches. If anything you're supporting the thorough consideration of tournament matches.

I've already stated my opinion on considering matches in tournament vs considering placement in tournament:
FalseFalco said:
it's all about who you beat, and who you lose to. Only a fool would look at tournament results and pass good judgement on a player based on the number beside their name. The first thing I always ask is "who did ____ lose to". So should you.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
With friendlies you can have enough matches or "data" to make a good judgement call on who is actually the better player.

kithkin

Smash Champion
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Firstly, the a PR can give some interest, show we actually do **** as a community, and I guess loosely rank us. Of course it's not perfect, but if someone was to look at it and expect to fir nicely between two players they'd be an idiot, obviously matchups arn't perfect and even if the PR did judge skill exactly you can't say you'd lose to everyone above you and win against everyone below you. (for example I beat Stu in MM's which are serious enough, at CAST4, yet he's above me, and after people talked to me, I actually agree he should be above. I get it)

So cry more.

Joel seriously, don't hate on Levi, he's honestly the best of all of us, he respects and looks up for all of smash calgary, and pretty much everyone who doesn't deserve complete ****. If he can't host, you shouldn't be upset, sometimes it just can't happen, and sometimes it's not a smashfest even, maybe thats why there wasn't a ton of people. BESIDES even if it's a smashfest, there can't always be a ton of people, some people live under their parents. I mean I can remember plenty of times I wasn't invited, or Alex wasn't or anyone wasn't, and when Sho wasn't. It's not like we don't like inviting people, sometiems it's just "hey alex, wanna come over?"

Seriously Joel, Stop *****ing about everything,

<3.

People DO expect me and rely on me to hosting.

A LOT
This is true, theres pretty much no smash calgary unless Levi does something, nobody smashes without him, nobody even really talks. Even if alex hosts, Levi probably mentioned it, I think you should give him a break, he is our backbone, and I hope nobody is offended but I can pretty much say he's #1 in calgary. So if you're gonna whine about him not hosting for legit or unlegit reasons, at least don't ***** about it and say you could've hosted. How about you actually decide to host ****?(Oh noes, a roomate, it's almost like a family) Levi went over to your house all the time anyways.

I mean come on, Levi's a Bad Dude. Bad Enough to save the President. I think he deserves some god**** credit.

Sorry we lean on you so much Levi, I really don't mean to, just I really don't know what I can do, I try not to demand much =3

Tl;dr Just read it honestly it's ONE good Brad post.

With friendlies you can have enough matches or "data" to make a good judgement call on who is actually the better player.
P.S: are you serious? Didn't we have this ******** arguement on like the first pages?

It's called sandbagging.

All of Calgary does it, cause we like to **** around and have fun.

Stop trying to make everything so uptight.

If someone really deserves to move up sans-tournament, people will notice, and it will happen.

It's just a PR guys.

It's like an infraction point. You may triple post and get two points, and be banned for a day or two. But really, it's worth posting to get your point across

Tyson651

Smash Lord
well, personally i like to sandbag a little and/or try weird or different things when the time arises (trying different things i feel like i learn more anyway) and during the friendlies with u and i were pretty close.

BUT, as if i recall correctly, our tourney matches, i had more of a distinct win since the games werent as close cause in a tourney setting, i try to play more solid and use trump moves instead compared to my friendlies.

so sometimes friendlies just doesnt give the "correct data". cause if we never had a tourney match, ud probably think we're even in skill level just from our friendlies. but its not cause i play a lot differently from friendlies in tourney matches.

i do agree that u can make a fair judgement, but theres a bit of plus or minus in there.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Levi was kicking my *** when I first started playing again, unfortunately that wasn't the case near the time of my departure.

Levi, there was also an instance where Sho and I were together and smash was supposed to go on that day, so we gave you a call because you hadn't called us back. You said there was no smash that day yet we could hear controllers clicking and more than one person talking in the background. It could have been any number of things, but due to past events you'd given us a reason to assume the worst. Thing is Levi, I KNOW you don't like to lose. You laugh your *** off after gimping someone, then when someone decides to feed you your own medicine it's like, "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH I'M SUPPOSED TO BE TOP ****." If you've got that attitude you're NEVER going to make it on your own, and your NEVER going to be able to take on the responsibility of supporting yourself.

Also, Brad, if you'd been around my room-mate, you'd understand what I'm trying to say. When Levi came over it was on his spares, big deal. It's not like I had my cube or a game. We couldn't have played.

turtlecake

Smash Journeyman
I'm in some guys house.

waiting for tyrone to come and help me with the tv, he's checking if KFC is open

DJT88

Smash Cadet
Woah, seems like smash got a lot more serious than I remember. You never told me how competitive it got when I was at your house Levi, and I never would have guessed with quad Falcon and all, lol good times.

Frio

Smash Champion
You'll say WOW everytime!

Holds 20X its Weight In Liquid

Easily removes cola, wine and pet stains

Doesn't drip, doesn't make a mess

Washes, dries, and polishes any surface

Won't scratch any surface

Machine washable and bleachable

Highly Durable with 10 Year Warranty

shamWOW!

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You'll say WOW everytime!

Holds 20X its Weight In Liquid

Easily removes cola, wine and pet stains

Doesn't drip, doesn't make a mess

Washes, dries, and polishes any surface

Won't scratch any surface

Machine washable and bleachable

Highly Durable with 10 Year Warranty

shamWOW!
Quoted for the ****ing truth

kithkin

Smash Champion
Levi, blah blah blah pride, blah blah blah own medicine, blah blah blah I'm a baby, blah blah blah ghosts at levis house, blah blah blah something responsibility coming from a guy who ran away from home then failed so hard he is going back or something like that.

Also, Brad, if you'd been around my room-mate, you'd understand what I'm trying to say. When Levi came over it was on his spares, big deal. It's not like I had my cube or a game. We couldn't have played.
1. Seriously? Levi doesn't like always winning, thats part of the reason he sandbags so hard. He laughs cause gimps are hilarious, and he usually laughs when he get gimped too, if it's funny. Like watch him play against Alex, they're always laughing. You don't know what you're talking about.

2. Meh, everyone has people, I am willing to bet my family is worse than your roommate. Also I'd like to point out smash isn't everything, so you shouldn't have a problem with this whole situation, you saw levi more than most people. On top of this, its not my fault you don't have smash.

So yeah, Joel stfu and cry more. Honestly. Don't go calling the Drama Lhama right after you leave because you feel neglected cause you ****ed **** up.

Steve is too funny <3

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
1. Seriously? Levi doesn't like always winning, thats part of the reason he sandbags so hard. He laughs cause gimps are hilarious, and he usually laughs when he get gimped too, if it's funny. Like watch him play against Alex, they're always laughing. You don't know what you're talking about.

2. Meh, everyone has people, I am willing to bet my family is worse than your roommate. Also I'd like to point out smash isn't everything, so you shouldn't have a problem with this whole situation, you saw levi more than most people. On top of this, its not my fault you don't have smash.

So yeah, Joel stfu and cry more. Honestly. Don't go calling the Drama Lhama right after you leave because you feel neglected cause you ****ed **** up.

Steve is too funny <3

You defend Levi like you suck his **** every day after school. You should try sticking up for yourself like this sometimes.

You can't go around saying you sandbag all the time. That's a pathetic excuse for anything. Saying you sandbag is the biggest John ever. If you insist on playing the game, losing, then saying, "OH I WAS SANDBAGGING", then don't play at all.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
It doesnt feel good beating someone who sandbagged. (like when i knock levi out of losers for example. <.<) It makes me feel even more nubby.

But its Levi. He plays for fun, and at cast4, we saw what he's capable of. Levi's our Isai. <3

Top Bottom