• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Donkey Kong Cheat Sheet - Match-Ups at a Glance!

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Well that's disappointing as well. Also, does anyone actually use GFSC at all? Cause i've practiced it quite a bit over the last week and the timing is still tremendously ridiculous.
It's funny you should mention this xD I just found a really practical application for this =x

While playing my friend's MK a lot last night, I stumbled upon an amazing usage for GFSC, and it occurs like a counter. If MK decides to try to dash attack you at low percent in an attempt to combo into turn around and grab like most of them do, you can perform a footstool off of him right as you are sent upward. Right after the footstool, b-reverse headbutt. Simple as that.

Now, I have performed this footstool many, many times in this situation and it just occurred to me that basically anytime you discover that you can footstool someone, if you can predict the footstool the next time, you can attempt a GFSC. I am going to consciously keep this in mind and report back the results of my efforts =)

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
It's funny you should mention this xD I just found a really practical application for this =x

While playing my friend's MK a lot last night, I stumbled upon an amazing usage for GFSC, and it occurs like a counter. If MK decides to try to dash attack you at low percent in an attempt to combo into turn around and grab like most of them do, you can perform a footstool off of him right as you are sent upward. Right after the footstool, b-reverse headbutt. Simple as that.

Now, I have performed this footstool many, many times in this situation and it just occurred to me that basically anytime you discover that you can footstool someone, if you can predict the footstool the next time, you can attempt a GFSC. I am going to consciously keep this in mind and report back the results of my efforts =)
Are there any little nuances to the GFSC that would make it easier? From my understand, you do footstool- back- front- side B. FAST as well. But i only manage it like 1/10 times MAYBE. I've experimented with different small variations on timing, and generally it almost seems to be luck that gets me the headbutt in the end.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Are there any little nuances to the GFSC that would make it easier? From my understand, you do footstool- back- front- side B. FAST as well. But i only manage it like 1/10 times MAYBE. I've experimented with different small variations on timing, and generally it almost seems to be luck that gets me the headbutt in the end.
To my understanding, that doesn't seem like the correct input actually... it should be footstool -> back + side b -> forward. That way, the headbutt is initiated in the reverse direction but pivoted so that DK headbutts in front of him. The original description of the b reverse headbutt was inaccurate in the first vids of the GFSC so that always threw me off too. Try it the way I described it though. It's really not that bad once you master the b reverse headbutt.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
I'll give it a shot that way. Because the way I was doing it almost never worked....ever. And I KNOW it's not because I have slow fingers, I've been playing piano and guitar for 11 years now....

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The grounded footstool thing is laughably easy. The only hard part is getting the footstool which you won't be getting much. I tried doing it way back in 08 and did it like 5 times in a row when I tried it the first time. It was also during the time I didn't even know how to shield :D

Luigi player

Smash Master
The GFSC is so easy if you set Y to special because you can move your finger from X to Y to perform the footstool jump to sideB.

(I use X to jump and I nearly never use Y)

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
I'll give it a shot that way. Because the way I was doing it almost never worked....ever. And I KNOW it's not because I have slow fingers, I've been playing piano and guitar for 11 years now....
<3

I'm a pianist, going on my 5th year.

Scared to major in music though.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Oh yeah, back when I did this, I used Wiichuck. In ya face
How about we discuss situations in which an opportunity to perform the GFSC might arise? Off the top of my head, I can think of one other time when footstooling is prevalent- when Falco is infinite jabbing and we are caught in it. You can DI up and jump off of his head. This usually results in a footstool that doesn't effect Falco though, and yet still sends DK flying upward. So I'm not actually sure that this is a valid setup. Can anyone maybe confirm that?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well yeah, getting a safe footstool kinda sucks. Good luck pulling that off =/

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
The purpose of GFSC is to guarantee the side-b out of a footstool. If it doesn't interrupt them, like in the Falco example, I don't think it counts. Could you just DI up... maybe towards and side-b out of it anyways?

I don't know if it works, but if DK gets grounded grab released, we get a 10 frame advantage, right? Can we jump and footstool them in that time? Or any time your opponent airdodges into the ground, that looks like a good time. D-throw > GFSC should work a lot. I think most people will try to airdodge out of D-throw > F-tilt, so it would be an easy follow-up.

How about tipper jab > GFSC? I was testing it a couple months ago and I think I pulled off a pretty solid tipper > footstool once.

Or something clever. When you're out of jumps, like you just got done getting juggled, if the enemy is trying to punish your landing and they're staying grounded, you can footstool them then pretty easily. You might not interrupt them, but there's a good chance they didn't do something that can hit you if you're above them.

Another random idea. If you have someone on a battlefield platform, you could probably full hop through it, and footstool them. I'd be surprised if they weren't shielding when you jumped through.

Any of these work?

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Footstooling is actually a landing option.
Just act like you are normally gonna land then footstool them. Its useful if they try to read a airdgode with a MK fsmash or w/e.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Yeah, that's why I thought it should work well for GFSC. Most people try to get you with grabs like that... getting headbutted instead would be such a nasty surprise.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Umm.....basically any laggy aerial that people land with you can footstool them. Also if d-tilt trips you can run and do the gfsc.

Beastly combo would be, punch at 0% since it can trip, then GFSC.

marmitonkiller

Smash Apprentice
tipper jab to GFSC and dtilt to GFSC are the best way to do it you can also cargo release ness and lucas to GFSC

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Nope.

That's what scares me.

And Music Theory is a *****.
Eh, once you get the basics down it's just a matter of building on it. I learned music theory from all my teachers, so I've got it down real nice. Just look online if you really want, i'm sure theres a walkthrough of sorts.

I was actually going to start a series of youtube videos where i detail certain parts of music theory for people who want to learn. Thinking I'll do some of it over break.

EDIT: And why would a tipper jab be good for the footstool?

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Tipper jab brings them right to you, and can cause them to take a hard landing. I don't know the frames any more so I can't say how legit it is, but at the very least most opponents don't expect to end up landing right next to DK after they get jabbed.

If you punched at 0%, even if it did trip... you wouldn't have a punch to hit them with afterwards!

I want to think that you might be able to get a GFSC out of a faked short hop double b-air. Like do the short hop and first b-air, come down like you're going to empty land/do the second b-air but be too close, and then double jump and footstool their shield.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Hey, so I've been sitting in training mode for a while now and can get GFSC consistently now... just not really sure when to use it still =P

But forget what I said before. I was testing it on MK, and the easiest, most consistent way I seemed to pull it off was dash -> jump -> footstool (while buffering hold back) -> into side b. Lol. And this works on MK, who is very short.

You don't even have to b reverse the side b, so the way I was initially doing it was harder than needed. It's a standard headbutt, but you just have to buffer holding back as you footstool. Also, while you are footstooling make sure it is a short hop footstool, not a full hop. In other words, let go of jump right away, otherwise DK will shoot up too much and you won't get the properly buffered DI.

Try it this way and I guarantee better results ^_^

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
the dash is what makes that possible, cause with horizontal momentum when you input a forward b, it propels you forward proportional to the amount of momentum you had before inputting the forward b, however since the dash has such a low velocity you move only a slight amount. Which is just enough to put you on the other side of mk in this case, so you can just do a headbutt in the opposite direction and voila sakurai here we come.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Yeah, fox can shield pressure us like nothing, but if he goes off stage he should loss a stock or atleast take a fair amount of damage, but it is around 55-45 maybe 60-40

Cable

Smash Lord
Probably not, its more like 55:45 fox, he has a slight advantage against us. He's really hard to hit and kills us far too early.
True this fox when he camps is really gay
Yeah, fox can shield pressure us like nothing, but if he goes off stage he should loss a stock or atleast take a fair amount of damage, but it is around 55-45 maybe 60-40
Also true keep that bair going dont let him breath

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
With fox use Ftilt angled up allot, since hes always jumping over your attacks, U-Ftilt is much more effective than normal Ftilt.

Space your Bairs, never land infront of a Fox with a Bair.

Dtilt trades with his Aerials.

Use DownB if he doesnt tech the floor and is lying down, use DownB to tech chase.

crifer

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF_XQMau23I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMMq_awBi_Y

both top players of each character.
The MU is at least 60:40 for Fox. You can see how nakat camps really hard and punishes Will for approaching.
I main both Characters and know both MU´s, because I hate the Fox ditto :D I think that DK needs to be always on move and pretend to bair but instead air dodge... ftilt is not safe against fox, bair (if shielded by fox) too. Try to grab him, get him offstage. watch for patterns (Does he always double jump fair after being thrown offstage? How does he approach? fair? shieldgrab? Does he approach at all or is he running away?).

oh yeah. fair destroys DK.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
After watching those matches, I never realized how bad the MU was...I knew it wasn't in DK's favor...but jeez!

All I could pull from it is all you can do is get him offstage and work him over before he continues camping...Just like crifer said.

This is definitely a G&W fight, ha

Luigi player

Smash Master
You shouldn't judge the MU from those matches. And Fox' fair doesn't destroy any character, lol.
Will needs to SDI more; you get out of Fox' dair and fair pretty easy.

Top Bottom