• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Difference Between the Scrub and the n00b

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Scrub and n00b. These two words seem to be used interchangeably, whether in a thread or if someone is in a conversation, and someone says something that would sound n00bish. The problem is, these two words do not mean the same thing. I shall define the two words. A scrub is someone who complains or makes excuses. He or she will use words like "cheap," or "unfair," or even "dishonorable." These words do not need to be used verbatim, but anything that indicates cheapness, unfairness, or even dishonor is considered scrubbish. Let us take the following example:

"You only won because you're using Meta Knight."

All right, so that might be true, but so what? The fact of the matter is, your opponent used Meta Knight, and you used a character who is a bad match-up against Meta Knight. Let me use another example.

"You and King Dedede's chain-grab. All you know how to do is chain-grab. This is a friendlies. Why are you using a chain-grab in friendlies?"

So, your friend or relative are playing a friendlies match with you. So what? Let's say you wanted to practice using the chain-grab. What better way to do it than in a friendlies? You wouldn't want to risk something in a tournament where you haven't even practiced in the first place, correct? Maybe after your friend or relative have the chain-grab down, then it or whatever cheap attack will be minimized to maybe two or three three times. After all, once it's down, it won't need to be practiced as much.

Now that we have an idea of what a scrub is, let's move onto the n00b. A n00b is someone who is new to a game. It doesn't matter which game. All that matters is the n00b is new at it. Hence "n00b," which is an alternate spelling of "newb," which is a shortened variant of "newbie," as opposed to "oldie." A n00b is not equivalent to a scrub, though a n00b could be considered a scrub on the way his or her attitude is. In other words, you can be a novice, an intermediate player, or even a professional, and still be a "scrub."

Some of you might be thinking, "What do you mean a professional can be a scrub?" What I mean is that if someone like FICTION complained about planking, and a lot of you might know that already, then that is scrub talk. I even recall M2K, the best player at Brawl, said something scrubbish somewhere at Smash World Forums, which was quoted by a fellow in the Brawl Tactical Discussion. So you see, it doesn't matter if you're new or if you're old or if you're a casual gamer or a pro. Anyone can be a scrub. What's ironic is that scrubs are more common in the professional scene† than they are in the casual scene.

What I mean by this is that a casual gamer may or may not care as much about winning or losing than he or she cares more about the fun and the social contact with other human players.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Theres a difference between a n00b and a newb.

Noob = stupid, annoying, idiotic
Newb = new, uniformed, looking to improve.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
n00b = that awesome guy who mains samus.

I don't know anyone on smashboards named scrub, so how can there be a difference?

/sarcasm

How many threads are gonna be about this topic? (I recall this being made before)

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Theres a difference between a n00b and a newb.

Noob = stupid, annoying, idiotic
Newb = new, uniformed, looking to improve.
That's a bit ironic, considering the moment you join this messageboard, you're a "Smash n00b."

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Thats just for ****s and giggls I guess. Because there truley is a difference between n00b and newb. >_>

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I thought a "newb" was just somebody who was new to the game while a "noob/n00b" is just somebody who is that, and downright idiotic, as in not really willing to learn anything new having to do with whatever but just ratehr be a pain in the a** for everybody else.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Urban Dictionary said:
the Word 'n00b' Is Sometimes Confused With This Term - 'newb' Standing For 'new Beginner'. Whereas A N00b Means One Of Two Common Terms.

1) A New Member Who Is Acting Stupidly.
2) A Member Who Is Acting Stupidly, Regardless Of Level And/or Experience.
>_>

<_<

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Thank you. I've been so tired lately of 'Scrub' being misused so that scrubby mentalities can roam free without anyone being able to discount them for it.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I don't really care if you change it of not. There was some confusion in the posts, so I tried to help clear things up with a source.

Urban Dictionary seemed more reliable for something like this. They were just sorta "those" kinds of words, ya know?

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
I feel like a scrub is somebody with the skill/knowledge of a casual player, but considers themselves to be better than that. As TLC put it:
"A scrub is a guy who thinks he's fine, also known as a 'buster.' Always talkin' 'bout what he wants, but just sits on his broke ***. "

Example: If you lose a set to MK, and talk seriously about how gay he is, you're a scrub. (you can make MK is gay jokes, tho, those are hilarious.) Get better at the game, Mr. Sits on Brokeass.

Oh, and, making a disctinction between "n00b" and "newb" and "noob" or whatever else you've got is stupid. Why the hell do you want to confuse everyone by making different definitions of words that sound the same and are used identically in context? Yeah, good plan, if all you want to do is further mess up gaming vernacular.

N00b = someone new. It's really only an insult when said to somebody who isn't a n00b. It's like how tenderfoot is an insult among experienced mountaineers because, due to their profession, their feet ought to be callused, thus very far from tender. However, if a mild mannered librarian were stranded in the mountains, it would be totally ok to call him/her a tenderfoot. Hell, his/her feet are probably very tender, due to the years of slowly shuffling around in loafers. Maybe a bunion here or there, but you get my drift.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
Another noob definition thread? Doesn't everyone already know who a noob is?

(Ohh, but I liked your comment that even pros can be scrubs, that was interesting)

auroreon

Smash Ace
Yea, people keep making threads about this. Does it really matter? Really!?

Regardless if somebody is a n00b or a newb or a scrub, that still doesn't give you a means of discrediting your defeat at their hands, should you lose to somebody who spams the tornado or someone who has never played the game before... you still lost.
Saying somebody won by using 'n00b techniques' just implies that you were unable to find an effective counter-technique, which is your fault.

EDIT: I think we should establish definitive definitions for these terms, it would be the end of many pointless discussions and arguments...
Then again, that would mean agreeing on definition, something that most people seem to have trouble with. And even if we did find definitions, Im sure other pointless arguments and discussions would just arise to take their place.

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
Noob = Sucks, but trys to get better by taking advice

Scrub = Edgehogging is cheap! or ''I FORBID YOU FROM USING THIS CHARACTER ON ME'' - Scrub friend......He was *****ing about the knee...

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Noob = Sucks, but trys to get better by taking advice
Wrong, a newb would try taking advice.
N00bs will just do whatever they want and think they're right.

Like my friend who thought 'muffins' was spelled 'muphins' and is arguing to the ends of the earth that she is right.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Why does this matter? People have been arguing over stupid stuff like this forever. Who has the right to say who is right and who is wrong?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Noob = Someone who lacks the proper knowledge but still attempts to correct others, claims to be great, and makes excuses for losses.

Scrub = Someone who can be good at what they are doing in their own respect (Smash), but let ethics get in their way. For example, they may not edgeguard you, or attempt to gimp your recovery, believeing such tactics to be dishonorable. They complain when you do these tactics, calling you dishonorable, or cheap. Only held back by their own mental guidelines. They may have the ability to place well in tournaments, but are easily stopped by these "cheap" tactics.

ShinoBee

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I hate and despise these terms. Tried hard to get used of it, now I only use it as a joke for certain things.

n00b - Negative term for "newbie". Used for those annoying ones supposedly.
scrub - Term I thought was actually make-believe and only in fairy tales. Sadly casuals fall victim to this term, and you can't deny it.

It's rude, disrespectful, and flat-out offensive to call someone a "n00b" or "scrub" in general. If you know the person isn't offended and joke around, fine. But if they're new and don't know much about the community, then what gives you the right to call them that? Yeah they might seem a bit ignorant, but warm them up and at least try to teach them about how smash works. What impression will you give off?

I <3 newbies by the way, why, because I count as one and it's important for non-newbies in the community to give a good impression. =]

JuniorMints

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I hate and despise these terms. Tried hard to get used of it, now I only use it as a joke for certain things.

scrub - Term I thought was actually make-believe and only in fairy tales. Sadly casuals fall victim to this term, and you can't deny it.

It's rude, disrespectful, and flat-out offensive to call someone a "n00b" or "scrub" in general. If you know the person isn't offended and joke around, fine. But if they're new and don't know much about the community, then what gives you the right to call them that? Yeah they might seem a bit ignorant, but warm them up and at least try to teach them about how smash works. What impression will you give off?

I <3 newbies by the way, why, because I count as one and it's important for non-newbies in the community to give a good impression. =]
agreed. this post is the truth.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord

This. /thread

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Three definitions here.

A newbie is someone new at the game.

A n00b is someone who is new at the game, but is generally annoying about it. Hence, n00b is derogatory, newb is not.

A scrub is someone who makes up their own rules to the game and tries to enforce them on others. For example: "chaingrabbing is cheap!" and whining about it.

However, I strongly dislike your example.
What I mean is that if someone like FICTION complained about planking, and a lot of you might know that already, then that is scrub talk.
If FICTION whines at people who plank, then he is being scrubbish.

If FICTION believes planking to be a serious problem with the metagame, and brings it up because he feels that it should be considered as something to expand tournament rules to prohibit, this is NOT being scrubbish. Why? He is not making up his own rules and enforcing it on others; rather, he is prompting discussion on it and attempting to point out a potential problem.

If FICTION takes it in to his own hands, it's scrubbish. If FICTION tries to discuss it with the general community, and DOESN'T just whine to people who plank him, then it is not.

The danger with the term scrub is that people take it too far and apply it to people who simply disagree with them. For example, there is a legitamite argument towards banning Metaknight. You may agree, you may disagree. But if someone points out that Metaknight has no bad matchups or even matchups (yes, this is arguable, but Ally and several others feel MK has the advantage over Snake, and Snake is the only matchup that can really be argued as even- it's up in the air) and destroys metagame balance, are they a scrub? No. It's a fair argument.

Now, if the person who wants Metaknight banned goes out and tells Metaknight players how gay they are, THEN he's a scrub.

And for the lulz:
The fact of the matter is, your opponent used Meta Knight, and you used a character who is a bad match-up against Meta Knight.
You mean, you played anyone in the cast except Metaknight?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
If FICTION believes planking to be a serious problem with the metagame, and brings it up because he feels that it should be considered as something to expand tournament rules to prohibit, this is NOT being scrubbish. Why? He is not making up his own rules and enforcing it on others; rather, he is prompting discussion on it and attempting to point out a potential problem.
Some might find it scrubbish, just because someone doesn't like it and tries to find others with a similar mindset. I'll use an example. Take the 70 edge-grab rule. It's supposed to deal with the problem of planking. Some people don't care, others think it's an issue. How does that affect the meta-game? In the end, one side wins, the other side loses, and the side that didn't care now has to go by these new set of rules. It seems like something is being imposed on others. We can say good-bye to a "playing to win" mindset.

Praxis said:
You mean, you played anyone in the cast except Metaknight?
I've played against every character in the cast. There are other characters I hate, and Meta Knight isn't one of them. I really fail to see what you quoted has to do with me anyway.

Jeet Kune Do

Smash Apprentice
Haha, I like how you guys go to great lengths to discern the differences between two words which are merely used as casual insults. I suppose it's only natural for that to happen to such popular terminology...

ellelaby

Smash Apprentice
Scrub and n00b. These two words seem to be used interchangeably, whether in a thread or if someone is in a conversation, and someone says something that would sound n00bish. The problem is, these two words do not mean the same thing. I shall define the two words. A scrub is someone who complains or makes excuses. He or she will use words like "cheap," or "unfair," or even "dishonorable." These words do not need to be used verbatim, but anything that indicates cheapness, unfairness, or even dishonor is considered scrubbish. Let us take the following example:

"You only won because you're using Meta Knight."

All right, so that might be true, but so what? The fact of the matter is, your opponent used Meta Knight, and you used a character who is a bad match-up against Meta Knight. Let me use another example.

"You and King Dedede's chain-grab. All you know how to do is chain-grab. This is a friendlies. Why are you using a chain-grab in friendlies?"

So, your friend or relative are playing a friendlies match with you. So what? Let's say you wanted to practice using the chain-grab. What better way to do it than in a friendlies? You wouldn't want to risk something in a tournament where you haven't even practiced in the first place, correct? Maybe after your friend or relative have the chain-grab down, then it or whatever cheap attack will be minimized to maybe two or three three times. After all, once it's down, it won't need to be practiced as much.

Now that we have an idea of what a scrub is, let's move onto the n00b. A n00b is someone who is new to a game. It doesn't matter which game. All that matters is the n00b is new at it. Hence "n00b," which is an alternate spelling of "newb," which is a shortened variant of "newbie," as opposed to "oldie." A n00b is not equivalent to a scrub, though a n00b could be considered a scrub on the way his or her attitude is. In other words, you can be a novice, an intermediate player, or even a professional, and still be a "scrub."

Some of you might be thinking, "What do you mean a professional can be a scrub?" What I mean is that if someone like FICTION complained about planking, and a lot of you might know that already, then that is scrub talk. I even recall M2K, the best player at Brawl, said something scrubbish somewhere at Smash World Forums, which was quoted by a fellow in the Brawl Tactical Discussion. So you see, it doesn't matter if you're new or if you're old or if you're a casual gamer or a pro. Anyone can be a scrub. What's ironic is that scrubs are more common in the professional scene† than they are in the casual scene.

What I mean by this is that a casual gamer may or may not care as much about winning or losing than he or she cares more about the fun and the social contact with other human players.
Are you saying that everyone here is a noob?

ShinoBee

Smash Apprentice
Haha, I like how you guys go to great lengths to discern the differences between two words which are merely used as casual insults. I suppose it's only natural for that to happen to such popular terminology...
"Wiimotes are banned, scrub!" Yes, that's funny.

What's not funny is when it's NOT used as a casual insult. And that counts calling people at Gamestop tournies scrubs!

Full Metal X

Smash Cadet
Bad match ups?

You believe that crap? The character you are doesn't stop you from winning, blame yourself not the character.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Are you saying that everyone here is a noob?
It's apparent that this flew right over your head.

Bad match ups?

You believe that crap? The character you are doesn't stop you from winning, blame yourself not the character.
Practice at your fullest with Captain Falcon. Get as many match-up experience as you possibly can against just about every character, but most importantly, the ones who are higher up like Meta Knight, Snake, Falco, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B, Diddy Kong. When you're done, attend a huge tournament and let's see how far you get with Captain Falcon alone. I assure you, you won't get far. When you lose, blame yourself.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Some might find it scrubbish, just because someone doesn't like it and tries to find others with a similar mindset. I'll use an example. Take the 70 edge-grab rule. It's supposed to deal with the problem of planking. Some people don't care, others think it's an issue. How does that affect the meta-game? In the end, one side wins, the other side loses, and the side that didn't care now has to go by these new set of rules. It seems like something is being imposed on others. We can say good-bye to a "playing to win" mindset.
The thing you have to remember is that we are forcing competition on Brawl. We had to ban stages and items to get to this point. Was banning items saying goodbye to "playing to win"? No, it made the game more competitive. Instituting a ledge grab rule would do the same thing IMO, especially when planking can make matches virtually unplayable.

I've played against every character in the cast. There are other characters I hate, and Meta Knight isn't one of them. I really fail to see what you quoted has to do with me anyway.

Sigh, you missed the joke. You said "you picked a character with a bad matchup against Metaknight". I said, "you mean, I played anyone else in the cast?" It's a funny, see?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
The thing you have to remember is that we are forcing competition on Brawl. We had to ban stages and items to get to this point. Was banning items saying goodbye to "playing to win"? No, it made the game more competitive. Instituting a ledge grab rule would do the same thing IMO, especially when planking can make matches virtually unplayable.
I can understand why items were removed. The matches would end up in anyones favor, and we wouldn't have to discuss tiers or match-ups.

As for planking, I find it silly that they must even think about making a rule, just because people are finding it difficult to approach Meta Knight when he's on the edge of a stage. It's sad to see that some can't tell the difference between excessive stalling and hanging on the edge, because one doesn't want to get hit by an attack like Falco's Blaster, so they come up with a silly rule and want to see the majority of votes.

Sigh, you missed the joke. You said "you picked a character with a bad matchup against Metaknight". I said, "you mean, I played anyone else in the cast?" It's a funny, see?
I don't get it.

Top Bottom