• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Debate Hall Social Thread

NNID
Budget_Player
Indeed, for I am the ragebringer.

TBH I would be interested in a debate, but I'm not very knowledgeable about the subject. It's not a subject I'm likely to get heated about though (unless someone starts pulling supernatural claims or absolutely bat**** explanations into it).

Sieguest

Smash Master
(unless someone starts pulling supernatural claims or absolutely bat**** explanations into it).
Hmmm...

The tooth fairy uses her powers to change the climate as she so sees fit. All the teeth she takes from small children gets grinded into fine enamel particulates which the tooth fairy uses as a catalyst to change the local climate of an area she chooses.

Let the rage begin. :troll:

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I am not sure if I should cry or laugh. It is funny and sad because it is true. :cry::lol:

Edit: On a more serious note my step mom is sending my half sister to a religious private school. I understand why she is doing it, the public school there is ****ing horrible, but still it feels like a lose lose situation.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
Indeed, for I am the ragebringer.

TBH I would be interested in a debate, but I'm not very knowledgeable about the subject. It's not a subject I'm likely to get heated about though (unless someone starts pulling supernatural claims or absolutely bat**** explanations into it).
But I do actually think that anthropogenic climate change is occurring. So, if I were to make a post I would be agreeing with you.

NNID
Budget_Player
I am not sure if I should cry or laugh. It is funny and sad because it is true. :cry::lol:

Edit: On a more serious note my step mom is sending my half sister to a religious private school. I understand why she is doing it, the public school there is ****ing horrible, but still it feels like a lose lose situation.
Get them to MOVE. Or at least make sure the religious private school isn't bat**** insane.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
BPC, your image had me laughing. A lot of the things those people said aren't even Biblical, hahaha. I'm going to vote for the "Atheists are Muslims" part as my favorite.

Savon

Smash Ace
Not sure if this is debate worthy, but I think this could get quite interesting if you guys are willing to talk about it. I am so sick of religious debates.
This is some nice copypasta I posed earlier though.

MuraRengan and I are having an argument with a friend of ours from school.

This friend was talking about a video where a woman who played WoW died in RL and the players/friends she knew on the server decided to have an ingame memorial for her.

A guild then decided to crash the memorial as it occurred and procedded to make a mess of the entire event pvping people and disrupting it.
The video is here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJVolaC8pw

He said that he found the video to be hilarious, but I still tried to explain to him that regardless of whether or not this was in game or in RL, the very concept of crashing a memorial of any type of a person who has died is in terrible tastes. It reminded of me those crazy WestBoro Church people who have no idea of what respect is in reference to the dead.

I guess I just wanted to see what other opinions are in reference to this entire thing. I have not touched WoW a day in my life, and I know the video is old, but it disturbs me that people find pleasure in that emotionless 4chan sense of humor that I find to be disgusting.

Discuss

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I see this turning into the religion problem where something is granted immunity because it's religious.

That's the issue really. The opposition aren't allowed to attack, something they're normally entitled to do, because of something that isn't their problem.

The equivalent would be in a sports match where a team requests to be allowed possession of the ball in their own half temporarily, without getting pressured, because of some religious reason. The opposition's experience shouldn't be compromised because of something that isn't their problem.

:phone:

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I see this turning into the religion problem where something is granted immunity because it's religious.

That's the issue really. The opposition aren't allowed to attack, something they're normally entitled to do, because of something that isn't their problem.

The equivalent would be in a sports match where a team requests to be allowed possession of the ball in their own half temporarily, without getting pressured, because of some religious reason. The opposition's experience shouldn't be compromised because of something that isn't their problem.
This is true on a basic level, but in a game where there's so much freedom to do things like this, shouldn't basic rules of respect still apply? I think a more fitting example might be that there are several fields, some with games going on and some with single teams just practicing amongst themselves, when suddenly another team swoops in on one of these "single teams" and steals the ball for no reason other than their own perverse pleasure.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
I agree with GoldShadow. Dre, your example really isn't the best. It's not like the interests of the other guild are directly compromised by this memorial, whereas your example DOES have the request of one conflict with the interests of another.

Savon

Smash Ace
Most cultures have a general standard for what is acceptable and for what is simply in bad tastes. My response to anybody who did not find the incident to be a big deal is a question of how they would feel if i went to a loved ones funeral and starting yelling and making a huge scene. People seem to think that the internet grants a right to do distasteful things just because they are anonymous.

The people who crashed that event were being rude JUST because they could and there would not be any repercussions for their actions.

I mean i am pretty sure if I trolled a topic about a smasher who died I would probably get banned, so what makes that particular event any different from the topic we are discussing?

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Most cultures have a general standard for what is acceptable and for what is simply in bad tastes. My response to anybody who did not find the incident to be a big deal is a question of how they would feel if i went to a loved ones funeral and starting yelling and making a huge scene. People seem to think that the internet grants a right to do distasteful things just because they are anonymous.
I agree that it was in bad taste and that while they had the legal right it was immoral of them.

The people who crashed that event were being rude JUST because they could and there would not be any repercussions for their actions.
I sort of agree, maybe some day the law will catch up to technology. (Can sue trolls defamation for of character, for an example?)

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
shouldn't basic rules of respect still apply?
On the Internet, nothing is sacred.

how they would feel if i went to a loved ones funeral and starting yelling and making a huge scene.
I'd just throw you out, in all honesty.

And that may be how this incident could have been prevented. They should have been prepared to defend their ground. I've never touched WoW either, but it looks like they weren't prepared to fight, and so they all got massacred. Reading the comments on another video, someone said that there was another player who passed away and his friends organized a march from one point of the map to another, and no one disrupted that. Maybe it's just a matter of how you choose to do it. They could have organized a raid or whatever in her name (or whatever it is you do in that game). But they kind of left themselves open like sitting ducks with the way they handled it.

Back in the day, I was playing Brawl on Wifi and two guys tried to gang up on me in a free for all. So I started grabbing them while they were taunting, and later on they complained, "We were just messing around. You shouldn't attack someone when they're taunting." Like hell I can't. This is a fighting game, not whatever you all think it is.

I am not saying that those kids in WoW deserved it or anything. It was definitely a below the belt thing, that I wouldn't have taken part in personally. But I just don't expect anything from people, much less "basic human respect."

We can say all we want about respect and what we're "entitled" to as human beings, but none of that counts for anything in the real world, much less the virtual one. I may be "entitled" to walk down the street without harassment, but that didn't stop people from throwing **** at me out of a car while shouting a racial slur. Basic respect isn't guaranteed in the real world. My personal rule is to not expect anything from anyone. The world is full of trolls. In order to protect yourself, you have to be prepared to defend yourself. No matter what you're "entitled" to, out of common sense, don't leave yourself open to attack.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
So with that do you guys think it is time to make an open debate hall? Of course it will need to be moditered more heavly than a normal thread, and the punishment on trolls is a lot harser, but I think it could work.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
No place will be moderated enough to keep out all trolls, unless we assign half of SWF staff to cover it.

Just curious, does any know the explanation behind the "6000 year old earth" theory?

Amide

Smash Lord
It still doesn't really make sense to me, but I think it has to do something with the fact that by interpreting Genesis literally, you have to believe that god created humans at the beginning of his six day creation, and because humans haven't been here long, neither has the Earth. They also think that it would be unethical, and a contradiction, to assume that death and misery occurred before Adam's sinning.

There's also some bizarre scientific defense of this view.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I think it's mostly because you have to apply, and mods can just reject trolls.

We won't have this if the DH is left open.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I think it's mostly because you have to apply, and mods can just reject trolls.

We won't have this if the DH is left open.
We could have it as a you have to apply (Like Proving grounds), and you have to make a case for youself and then you are in?

Also see the serious discution thread over at zeldauniverse fourms I think we can get more activity out of the debate hall if it was more like that.

Amide

Smash Lord
So it looks like Ron Paul is running for president again, which I'm sure is a lost cause, but it's also sort of exciting, I think, that such an untraditional candidate is generating a fair amount of enthusiasm.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
It's not so much even a matter of keeping out trolls as it is about making this a place for quality discussion by members that can string coherent arguments and sentences together. It's about maintaining a certain standard, a level of discussion that's a cut above the rest of SWF.

That said, what do you guys think about another tournament? Different format this time, using the lessons we (I?) learned from the last one to make it successful.

Savon

Smash Ace
I have decided to change my stance on abortion to being against it. The argument is too amibigious to allow regular abortions to be legalized. Especially considering how in most cases there are better options than abortion these days.

I made that a facebook status and it is going DOWN. But somebody is posting a terrible feminist argument. Should I post a screenshot of the debate later on? Any interested in reading it if I do?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Is the debate actually of high quality? Because when you say "terrible feminist argument" or just "feminist" and "argument" in the same sentence, it isn't a good sign.

Also, is your switch to pro-life a result of a convincing pro-life argument, or the (supposed) lack of sufficient pro choice arguments?

Aesir

Smash Master
I've changed my stance on abortion to being the exact same thing it's always been.

Edit: Also in Savons defense, there are some pretty crazy arguments out there. IE: sex is always ****.

Savon

Smash Ace
Is the debate actually of high quality? Because when you say "terrible feminist argument" or just "feminist" and "argument" in the same sentence, it isn't a good sign.

Also, is your switch to pro-life a result of a convincing pro-life argument, or the (supposed) lack of sufficient pro choice arguments?
The debate had some good parts, but the feminist argument was just TERRIBLE, but MuraRengan tore that argument apart even though nobody took it seriously. Otherwise it was ok.

I changed my mind mostly from conversations I have had with MuraRengan. He did not out right cause me to change, but he made my reevaluate my ideas, and I could not logically deny that the issue is in a moral gray area, so until have a more solid legal/moral standing it should be banned.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I have decided to change my stance on abortion to being against it. The argument is too amibigious to allow regular abortions to be legalized. Especially considering how in most cases there are better options than abortion these days.

I made that a facebook status and it is going DOWN. But somebody is posting a terrible feminist argument. Should I post a screenshot of the debate later on? Any interested in reading it if I do?
Wow. That's an epic facebook troll status. Especially because the fact that you changed your mind about it implies that everyone else is stupid to not see the arguments you saw.

Your troll-fu is strong sir. And you have balls to post something like that on Facebook where you don't have internet anonymity.

Anyway, what do you think about condoms?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I am choosing to abstain from the abortion topic at this time (possibly forever).

You have a problem with feminism, Dre.?
Depends what you mean by feminism. I don't have a problem with campaigning for equal pay etc. but I'm not a fan of the cliche lesbian, male-hating school of feminism, but then again that is a cliche. It was more a joke than conveying a genuine hatred that I lose sleep over.

Savon

Smash Ace
Wow. That's an epic facebook troll status. Especially because the fact that you changed your mind about it implies that everyone else is stupid to not see the arguments you saw.

Your troll-fu is strong sir. And you have balls to post something like that on Facebook where you don't have internet anonymity.

Anyway, what do you think about condoms?
I prefer to see it more as a personal revelation. I do not think pro-choice people are wrong, and I do not consider myself to be pro-life. I just think that when you have super relative issues such as this we need to hold off on it until we set down a legal/moral standard. Simple as that. Condoms are great bro. People need to use condoms more. I see nothing bad about them. People are gonna **** regardless of what we do, it is in our very nature and instincts. The people time sex was not a problem was during the more oppressive times in human history when people were super ignorant and KEPT that way by the culture and superiors.

I do not consider myself a troll. How do you take a screen shot anyways so I post this here. Keep in mind almost everybody that commented on that status are involved with Speech and Debate with me, so they are not completely idiots (Besides the feminist arguments"

Top Bottom