• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Competitive Brawl Stage Hacking Hub: Dat Valentine's Day Status

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i don't come on for one night and you people suddenly get active again. >_>

So why is the complete removal of the current necessary for a fair stage when big blue has approximately the same effect going on? (aside from the klap issue of course)
it wasn't really an issue, it just would look weird to fly through the stage when you weren't actually touching the water.

Well, for one thing, they haven't figured out how to keep the current effect, yet...
i'm almost positive i know how to keep it (and concurrently edit it). if i'm right, i can get DP+ working (though legal is an entirely different matter).

Froho should work on SMI+ and MK1-2. <3
but... but TF2...

you have any idea for SMI+? and MK1-2 is alredy made, but there isn't ane MK1-1+ if yuo have any idea for those levels tellus
MK 1-2 needs a lot of work. i actually think we need to add ledges to the stage. its just so easy to die there (plus the HUD gets in the way o f seeing the actual stage).

there was an idea a while back Guzzi, lemme look in the thread to see if i can link it to ya
Edit: Here it is Guzzi

Edit Edit: I guess it should only have ledges on the lower platform, no floor and no annoying walls
i was looking for that. most of it is just removing polygons/editing collisions. can probably get something up by tonight.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i've started work on SMI+. right now its early... i guess you could say beta, but its really not even that. layout is looking good, and collisions are (mostly) working. once i get it all working right its pretty much all removing polygons.

SuperGuzzi

Smash Journeyman
i've started work on SMI+. right now its early... i guess you could say beta, but its really not even that. layout is looking good, and collisions are (mostly) working. once i get it all working right its pretty much all removing polygons.
I'm waiting for that, but i have a question, why the codec don't work in Brawl+, and if i'm doing wrong something, the + version will have teh codecs call?

ValTroX

Smash Ace
Guzzi, I've notice some hitbox error on the left side of the box in GHZ+, try a Mario fireball from the left. I guess it doesn't matter much cause you are working on getting a spring there but I guess I should let you know :)

Kati

Smash Lord
This happens with many character's projectiles I find. It might be just the smaller characters, as I don't recall Samus having trouble with it.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
it works in vbrawl. just make sure you have the file patch code on. .rel goes in the module folder and the pac goes in the melee folder.

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
GHZ+ with a spring...

- hmmm dk will prolly do wonders with he's Side B there ^^ he can spam it and the hitbox appears, rack up damage heavenly
dk cancels upward momentum when jump with the spring, so yeah

- marth can counter and get he's inv. from it and even hit and also cancels the momentum

- mario can cape like crazy but it's not a problem

- peach also gets her inv from toad and the pollen hit and no lag at all

I can't remember of another character that might be a problem

the spring is for me a weird idea

but yet, can give a different aspect of a counterpick stage, with a new hazard

Cos.

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't quite sure if this would be the right topic to post in, so please forgive my ignorance, should I have made a mistake therein.

I had checked the brawl+ stage legality discussion, but hadn't found anywhere a list of pros and cons of the indiviudal stages. Actually, I suppose it would be nice to have a listing of all the stages in regard to what hazards, specialities, quirks and uniquenesses are found on the stage. Then would need to be listed how desirable, or not, these individiual features are. Then comes the part more relevant for this thread: What should be done about more severe grievences of the stage and what options are even given considering the momentary hacking status. Such a list would require time to make, but if everyone contributes a little (and we use a portion of the knowledge already provided... whereever it might be in the moment), we could have a nice list regarding Brawl+ and its respective stages. I suppose a second list would be good to discuss the bugs and advantages and disadvantages of the respectively hacked stages... but I guess that would fit into the stage legality discussion (I'm sorry if I'm seeming to have difficulties separating the two threads in full... they somehow coointeract in my mind :/ )

Anyhow, theory is all fun and good, but I start a simple example (most likely not good example :/ ):

Bridge of Eldin (original status):
Background info: The stage is taken from the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Eldin Bridge where Link fights King... etc...

Stage characteristics:
Death Boundary: Large
Stage Size: Large

Platforms:
Has no platforms, has no ledges*, has walk off edges.
* has ledges when the central section of the bridge is removed for a short time

Hazards:
King Bulbo rides and attacks players, commonly a bomb is thrown onto the stage and removes a large segement of the stage.

Negative effects on play and severity: (Hhm, here I'm assuming that game play should be kept quick, but more importantly, flowing)
Walk off edges (okay, I admit, I personally loath walk off edges... camping can be such a pain and it disturbs the game flow) - severe (needs to be changed as they are permanent), King Bulbo riding - none to minor (is easy to avoid, announced half an hour early, gives little damage and hardly combos, play can continue with hardly any problems), Bomb - minor to moderate (the bomb can admittably kill, making players take the time to avoid, as it's in the middle of the stage, but it's not surprising or hard to avoid), Level gap - moderate (the big gap in the middle is quite tedious, often players are on the opposite sides... not fun for fluid gameplay)

Stage appeal:
King Bulbo riding on the stage is win :D . That a section of the bridge is destroyed
is an interesting idea, would be nice to keep. Stage has a nice Zelda feel :p

Propositions for changes (my personal stage editing capabilities are non existant, so please correct, or bear with me on this point... and it's only an example ;) ):
Walk off edges (even though I hate them) can remain if there is an istance which forces players often enough towards the center of the stage (the momentary Eldin+ does this... on one side of the stage). Is it possible to create two bombs (mainly for grapical and logical reasons), and is it possibily to temporarily remove two segements of the bridge, so the walk off is gone? (just need something grapical to make it look like something is holding the bridge up...) etc, etc...

Well, that was just an example of how the stages could be discussed and input could be given for the stage modders (sorry, if I'm not giving you credit, I'm aware a lot of work has been done :) )

That said I'm liking the stages presented here, even if I'm a Pal player (curses at only being at version 4.1...), but I've gotten all the stages here to work on pal Brawl+ (using riivolution and Pal Brawl+ codes). Maybe I can even be off some use in that way as I can help find some bugs, if they appear differently in Pal...

I'll leave it at that for now. Most people don't like reading long posts containing too much bla, bla...

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
that stuff needs to be kept in the legality topic as it pertains to what makes each stage legal/nonlegal. the only part of that which would be relevant here is the propositions for each stage.

as for your question regarding BoE, no, it is not possible to have 2 destructible blocks (at least not with the time i have).

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
nobody touch mario bros

i call dibs

kthxbai

(also minor, can you get rid of the walls underneath pictoplus, so it looks normal when you fall under it while holding towards the stage)

Kati

Smash Lord
Is there a plan for Green greens as of yet? I think someone already spoke about this, but I think making dreamland 64 wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't know about you guys, but the size of the stage, especially the platform height, and the wind really made dreamland 64 a stand out in melee for me.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Is there a plan for Green greens as of yet? I think someone already spoke about this, but I think making dreamland 64 wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't know about you guys, but the size of the stage, especially the platform height, and the wind really made dreamland 64 a stand out in melee for me.
i'm taking a look at it today/this next week. it should be possible, though i'll need some guidance removing the blocks/apples (i'd really like to not have to use a freeze code for this stage).

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Personally, I don't think the blocks should be all gone, but just limited to a maximum of two rows, like how it was previously planned. But the bomb blocks needs to all go, though... And I don't find the apples that big of a deal, but that's me.

ValTroX

Smash Ace
.rels let us have two versions. we can have DL64 and GG+ (whenever someone gets around to it).
That sounds great FroHo and I agree with PC's idea on 2 rows of blocks, no bombs, but I do think apples are a bother.
Also PC, I don't know if I should post this here but I'll do it since it's the best way to contact you: On your common5, the SSEJungle on the other stages tab loads 75m for some reason(and there's no need to have 2 jungles on SSS anyway)

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
That's how it's supposed to work. The game is limiting the number of icons we can have, so we can't have a different icon for each and every stage. What YEROC (so I'm not even the one that coded it; I just made the common5 to fit what was desired) did was make it so the main stage gets the icons, while the stages on the other page simple uses the same icon due to icon amount limitations. Yeroc did this so that anyone weird enough to watch to play on Flatzone 2, 75m, and Hyrule Temple (both versions) can, since before, those stages were purely inaccessible.

EDIT: So...
SSE: Jungle icon gets you SSE: Jungle on the main page and 75m on the other page.
WWR icon gets you WWR on the main page and Flatzone 2 on the other page.
Temple icon gets you (the shrunken) Temple+ on the main page and regular Temple on the other page.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i believe i've learned how to successfully move the custom stage pieces into place, so i'll try to get a working version of SMI+ up later (hopefully tonight).

i'm also taking another crack at spear pillar. i have a plan, and i'm going to get it to work.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Oooh. What do you have in mind? I'm interested.
I was either thinking:

Only enemies on the bottom, one dotted platform in the middle, adjust camera and boundaries (and make less enemies spawn if possible)

or

No enemies, one dotted platform in the middle, adjust camera and boundaries (think walkoff yoshi's island basically, and without the tilting platform/ghosts)

I kind of want the enemies there though because they'd keep it from being a traditional/annoying walkoff

what do you guys think?

or should i just do no walkoff at all?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
You didn't know that? Bug me on AIM if you're still having issues.
i've known how to do it for a while, but it was refusing to work on SMI (i made ****ing summit+. i think i know how to move things in bbox >_>).

anyway, i have a version of spear pillar that i'm currently getting people to test (i'm at work right now, so no wii).

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
TSON, by dotted platform, do you mean broken apart into multiple platforms in the same line?
(Ex: - - - *dotted/broken* rather than --- *connected*)

Maybe make a crappy Paint picture so I can understand your concept a little better.

About the enemies at all though, would they even really be useful? Couldn't we hit them and just abuse their absurd throw power?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Looks good. amazing! And having the platforms moved down but still in motion would totally be better than being frozen in place, so let's hope you can do that. Also, the hazards are probably gone (I'm assuming), but do the Pokémon still show up in the background? (I sure hope they still do.)

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
yes to everything, but the hazards are still there (**** palkia). it wouldn't be so bad if palkia would just not swap the camera... if i can fix that through editing the animation then we'll be able to leave it unfrozen, otherwise code time.

Top Bottom