• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Charm Is Gone

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
I think I'm falling out of love with Zelda; it's confusing. Lately, I've gravitated toward Sheik and other characters more. Why?

- I now feel sluggish with Zelda. The ending lag on most of her moves is sort of upsetting.
- I cannot combo with her for the life of me. Most of her moves have considerable knockback. I love pummeling away on my opponents, but I find that I simply cannot pressure people very well; I need to rely on setting up quite a bit.
- I cannot juggle opponents. My biggest turn-off. Whenever my opponents end on the air, I have limited to no options of follow up. Add good DI and air-dodging, and I need to wait right back in the ground. It simply doesn't feel like a Wolf, Squirtle, Sheik, or Samus air game, where I can continuously barrage opponents. The best I can afford is a sweetspotted sidekick, if I am lucky to land one.
- Her projectile, while seemingly good, is easily negated. Power-shielding and spot-dodging is fairly effective against it.
- I've noticed I can rack up damage with Sheik and others faster than I can with Zelda. She is always a one-hit wonder that can easily send people flying, but the challenge is to get them to a KO % before they throttle me to death.
- Recovery. Farore's Wind is bad, pretty bad. It should happen at a much faster rate and possess even less lag than it currently does. If I do get the chance to hit someone with the magic part, it should do considerable knockback and damage.

I really want to love Zelda back, but at this point I fear I'm gravitating toward Samus, Link, Sheik, and Yoshi.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Me too, lucky for me the character I've been using more is now deemed useless against half the cast.
Back on topic, Zelda is definitely a pretty boring player to use. Smashes are used way too often, Din's becomes spammed in a corner far too often, Juggling is hard to near impossible and usually end up being a dodged Uair or sour Lkick and Zelda dittos are just getting tiresome.

However I dunno what you're talking about with FW, it has a lot of frustrating qualities, (like ridiculous start up lag, and no DI for a while upon reappearance) but other than that it's far from way bad.

However I've faithfully stood by Zelda and plan to still main her, I just have to force myself to use her and be more creative with her.

Luthien

Smash Ace
- Recovery. Farore's Wind is bad, pretty bad. It should happen at a much faster rate and possess even less lag than it currently does. If I do get the chance to hit someone with the magic part, it should do considerable knockback and damage.
As much as I love those buff ideas, I've gotta disagree. If the starting animation were any faster, or if the lag (which actually isn't that bad, imo) were decreased, I would go so far as to call the move broken. The move has been balanced incredibly well, and is a great tool with charm that keeps true to Zelda's playstyle.

If Farore's Wind is getting you hit, then you're using it wrong. I love how safe it is, actually, especially from the recovery aspect. Outside of situations where I've been sent flying downwards, Farore's has never fallen short of getting me to the stage. If your opponent is punishing you on landing, you aren't playing well enough. Farore's simply gives you too many options to say that it's a bad recovery.

Don't worry, I'm not saying you're a bad player or anything. And I agree with most of the other stuff you've pointed as well. However, recovery should definitely not be a turn off from Zelda. She's been blessed with one of the best recoveries in the game imo.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure I really agree with zelda being boring, maybe you aren't playing her right.

You can do a lot of mind games with her, and I always laugh when people go running in the wrong direction.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
FW mindgames don't make Zelda less boring. A lot of characters have funner, more rewarding mindgames :p

And there is no "right" way to play Zelda, there are more creative, risky ways to play her, like oh.. I dunno, using aerials. But if I want to use aerials, i'll stick to Ness thanks xP

TheLake

Smash Master
I loved zelda when she sucked in melee and I sure as hell am sticking with her in brawl.

Sure shes not my main but shes definatly the best team fighter and I like using her when I know I want to win. I dont use her just cause shes unfair of course. The gals broken folks but shes got sas and a kick that can shatter time itself.

You watch...sure shes not so popular now but once we figure out what this lassy can real do were gonna tear competitive smas/tier list a new one.

Facet

Smash Cadet
Zelda's style isnt for everyone. If you want to beat down opponents with merciless offensive play and juggles, then I'd agree you're better off with someone else.

Ztarfish said:
Zelda is definitely a pretty boring player to use
Wholeheartedly disagreed. I find her to be the most satisfying, fun character in the entire cast.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Ah yes, the naive, gentle nature of one who has played none other than Zelda for the entire while Brawl's been out. Don't worry, in time you'll grow out of it :p

I kid, of course :p, posts like that just define who I am.

Those who think I dislike Zelda should be whapped with a plank of wood. Zelda is my best character and I intend for her to stay that way. Forgive me if I bore of her once in a while though and decide to venture out to more enticing (in my opinion, of course) characters.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Zelda is my best character and I intend for her to stay that way.
My a**.

After two stocking your Zelda and getting ***** by your Ness, I assumed you would come to the conclusion that your Ness is better than your Zelda. But no.

Or I just need to get better at fighting Ness and stop. running. into. that. stupid. yo-yo.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
I've been finding myself playing Sheik at the beginning of my matches, transforming into Zelda at the end.

Other players are getting used to Zelda's play-style, just like they're getting used to Ike's, for example.

My biggest gripe:

Lightning Kick isn't what it used to be. I would GLADLY exchange the buff from Din's Fire for the Melee Lightning Kick.

Kricu

Smash Journeyman
Sheik is epic. Zelda is fun but maybe because I never seem to use her often. She is way too slow me though.

TheLake

Smash Master
I think her slowness adds to her epicness. ^_^

Plus that goth zelda is such a babe...

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Zelda is the greatest, and she gets more interesting to play all of the time.
I am always coming up with new techniques, some of which are incredibly useful.

Facet

Smash Cadet
Ah yes, the naive, gentle nature of one who has played none other than Zelda for the entire while Brawl's been out. Don't worry, in time you'll grow out of it :p

I kid, of course :p, posts like that just define who I am.

Those who think I dislike Zelda should be whapped with a plank of wood. Zelda is my best character and I intend for her to stay that way. Forgive me if I bore of her once in a while though and decide to venture out to more enticing (in my opinion, of course) characters.
Oh its definitely fine to get bored of your main once in a while, but then it seems like its you who are playing Zelda too much, not me. :p

Would you mind delineating exactly what appeals to you about other characters (more than Zelda)? Just curious. Here are some reasons Zelda is fun (to me):

1. Shes my favorite, so I enjoy beating people with her
2. She has IMO the most visually rewarding moveset in the game (explosions, electric sparkles, freeze-framing LKicks, etc)
3. Compared to most characters, she is relatively challenging to use, so winning feels like more of an accomplishment.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Oh its definitely fine to get bored of your main once in a while, but then it seems like its you who are playing Zelda too much, not me. :p

Would you mind delineating exactly what appeals to you about other characters (more than Zelda)? Just curious. Here are some reasons Zelda is fun (to me):

1. Shes my favorite, so I enjoy beating people with her
2. She has IMO the most visually rewarding moveset in the game (explosions, electric sparkles, freeze-framing LKicks, etc)
3. Compared to most characters, she is relatively challenging to use, so winning feels like more of an accomplishment.
I dunno, there really is no reason.
Zelda I like cause I love LoZ, she is wonderful at blasting opponents away, and is very satisfying to use when you pull of her more difficult kill moves.
Ness I like cause I love Earthbound, he combos like a beast, his grabs are freakin useful, his air game runs circles around many characters (including Zelda)
Dedede I like cause I love Kirby games, his grab range is awesome and has very powerful grabs, his recovery is awesome for a heavyweight, and has awesome range.

They all play starkly different from one another and I think that's why I play all of them.

As for why I play Zelda less, it's really only because I only play against Zelda users and Zelda dittos are probably the most horrible things ever.

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
Zelda is boring to play because any child who can move his fingers in a set pattern can play her lol The hit box on dins fire after traveling a decent distance is very misleading and deadly, also her lighting kicks are good if you have not abused them and easily kill 80%+..... for something thats not so hard to hit seems kinda crazy. Not to mention her recovery is not bad, she can reflect projectiles, has a spike, her uair is just ********, and is heavy so harder to kill and you have a easy to play char. Midgames separate the good and bad Zelda's thats it. o.o

Facet

Smash Cadet
Lol, if at all possible I prefer avoiding mirror matches too.

Okesoke said:
Zelda is boring to play because any child who can move his fingers in a set pattern can play her lol The hit box on dins fire after traveling a decent distance is very misleading and deadly, also her lighting kicks are good if you have not abused them and easily kill 80%+..... for something thats not so hard to hit seems kinda crazy. Not to mention her recovery is not bad, she can reflect projectiles, has a spike, her uair is just ********, and is heavy so harder to kill and you have a easy to play char. Midgames separate the good and bad Zelda's thats it. o.o
You do realize that what you just said applies to every single character in Brawl, right?

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Joke post? Zelda takes more skill than a lot of characters on the roster. Din's fire, because it's so easy to dodge and shield, takes specific timing and taking advantage of prime oppurtunites when against those who are used to it. Her reflector isn't permanent, has enough lag afterwards that a misuse could result in punishment and therefore has to be timed pretty well as well. Spike, and Lkicks have to be sweetspotted and yes, it does take skill to do that. Uair is probably also the most predictable thing she has, and also easily dodged.

Mindgames and Skill separate the good and bad Zeldas
same goes for every character on the roster.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Zelda is boring to play because any child who can move his fingers in a set pattern can play her lol
Let me start by stating how horribly and disturbingly wrong you are.

The hit box on dins fire after traveling a decent distance is very misleading and deadly,
Wrong. Airdodge. Shield. Roll.

also her lighting kicks are good if you have not abused them and easily kill 80%+..... for something thats not so hard to hit seems kinda crazy.
Wrong. "..... for something thats not so hard to hit..." Tell me, when was the last time you faced an opponent who spaced well?

Not to mention her recovery is not bad,
You bet your...

she can reflect projectiles,
Not to the point where this makes her boring or too easy... the reflecting frames are really short, actually. Naryu's won't reflect projectiles for close to half the time it's out, including attack lag.

has a spike,
... that has a very annoying sweetspot. Tell me, how often are you able to land it?

her uair is just ********,
Don't get me wrong, it's a great move, but its timing is so tricky you definitely won't be bored when trying to land it against someone who knows that airdodging exists.

and is heavy so harder to kill and you have a easy to play char.
Heavy? I'm sorry, what planet are you on?

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i don't think zelda is boring if i did i would not be maining her so far i have only taken time to learn how to play characters i find fun. i like playing with diddy and thats why i mained him for a while, i like playing as ganon in friendlys and i am trying to learn g&w since he is giving me some enjoyment now .

what it really comes down to is diffrent people like diffrent styles that does not make one more boring or less fun its all about personal preference

kitsuneko345

Smash Ace
*sending Sundance lots of apple pies on Pi Day, as
I think I'm falling out of love with Zelda; it's confusing. Lately, I've gravitated toward Sheik and other characters more. Why?

- I now feel sluggish with Zelda. The ending lag on most of her moves is sort of upsetting.
- I cannot combo with her for the life of me. Most of her moves have considerable knockback. I love pummeling away on my opponents, but I find that I simply cannot pressure people very well; I need to rely on setting up quite a bit.
- I cannot juggle opponents. My biggest turn-off. Whenever my opponents end on the air, I have limited to no options of follow up. Add good DI and air-dodging, and I need to wait right back in the ground. It simply doesn't feel like a Wolf, Squirtle, Sheik, or Samus air game, where I can continuously barrage opponents. The best I can afford is a sweetspotted sidekick, if I am lucky to land one.
- Her projectile, while seemingly good, is easily negated. Power-shielding and spot-dodging is fairly effective against it.
- I've noticed I can rack up damage with Sheik and others faster than I can with Zelda. She is always a one-hit wonder that can easily send people flying, but the challenge is to get them to a KO % before they throttle me to death.

I really want to love Zelda back, but at this point I fear I'm gravitating toward Samus, Link, Sheik, and Yoshi.
1. Remember Zelda isn't a speedy character, so know when to use the right moves to the right opponents at the right time.
2. Use a dash to an bair, nair, or uair and maybe you'll improve. Otherwise, start dtilting.
3. read number two.
4. Timing is all that's necessary. Add pressure to them by having a few in front and a few behind.
5. I can't help you on this because it's your gamestyle.
6. 16 Directions. Know when to use them and abuse them.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I think that what Brawl was trying to achieve is for players to utilize Zelda AND Sheik in matches. I think that changing to Sheik and wracking up the damage, and transforming to Zelda for a finisher works really well. Sure, there is a considerable lag time when changing, but considering how monstrous she would be without it, it just wouldn't be balanced.

She can't be perfect, right? Or else how would she keep finding herself as Ganon's prisoner? :p

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Farore's wind being faster? O:
Nooo. Zelda's recovery is already very good if used right.
I think your main problem is that you look for combo masters. Zelda is not a combo master. She's a character that takes patience and perciverence to play. Quite rarely can you combo Zelda's aerials well. Sure sometimes I'll hit with an U-smash, then land an U-air, and finish with a lightning kick, but that's rare. Most good players can air dodge most of Zelda's aerials very easily.

S2

Smash Lord
Well Zelda is not a combo character.

Her entire game revolves around defensive, well spaced attacks. She's got real distinct advantages/disadvantages that can either score you tons of wins, or get you killed rather easily.

She's not that easy to play. Not against a good opponent. If she was, then there would be a flood of Zelda players rushing this board. As it stands, she currently one of the better characters that hardly anyone uses.

I'm yet to see another good Zelda in a offline tournament. Several newbs who were basically just spamming and being punished, but that's about it.

There aren't a lot of good Zelda players and further, most of the good players don't live anywhere near each other. Meaning you don't see offline Zelda dittos that often.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I know what you mean by getting "bored" with Zelda, because I had the same feeling in Melee. It just wasn´t so interesting to always play with the same character, especially when you couldn´t combo with her. But since I like Zelda´s nature and the challenges her fighting style offer, I never stopped playing with her. I just started using many mains equally much, so I wouldn´t get bored. I just like to play with different types of fighters. I find it fun to first combo enemy like crazy and then fight carefully using characters that thrusts into careful spacing and tactics. Also I find Zelda´s sweetspotted kicks alone to be enought reason to play with her, they´re just too satisfying...

Darkmusician

Smash Master

There's nothing wrong with "falling out of love" with a character or not using them as much as you used to. It's normal. We find things about other characters that we like better, or just get bored with using that particular character over and over. It's all about play style. You should main a character that best fits the way you want to play.

Zelda just doesn't sound like the right character for you at the moment. But who knows what'll happen. You may start using her again later on because you discovered something. Or maybe your play style/personal preference will change. I hope that you find a character that you enjoy playing and feel confident and comfortable with. :]

-spAzn-

Smash Journeyman
What you crazy? Just kidding in all seriousness Zelda is fun but I get what you're saying. If you don't feel like playing as her you don't have to. It's cool if you wanna branch off to other characters and if you get bored of them. Well you can always go back to Zelda she ain't going anywhere :p. Hey I play like 50 different characters hehe but that's how I am sticking to one character soley is kinda well not fun to me. Plus I like to mix it up a bit. Anyway it's your call dude we can't force you to start "loving her" again but you know do what you wanna do :D. Zelda is a awesome character that just needs practice and patience to use well but that's what it takes to get good with pretty much any character. Just hope you don't drop her completly but just have fun with whatever character(s) you do decide to use.:)

Also I disagree with FW being bad. Every Zelda user i've played freaking loves that move. It's actually quite annoying lol. Maybe it's just because i'm pretty bad at it hehe. Though if you can learn to use all 16 directions and develope some mindgames with it like some people coughLuthiencough :p then you should love it as well hehe.

S2

Smash Lord
One word of warning though...

its real easy to fall into the trap of not commiting to any one character. That is, I play a lot of charaters. But when it comes down to it, I can always rely on Zelda in tournaments or tough matches because I spent a lot of time getting good with her specifically.

I recommend picking a few contrasting characters to get good with. I've got a decent Olimar that I'll pull out at tournaments if Zelda really isn't working out (usually that means I just lost a round to say, Lucas, and I really don't want to deal with playing him as Zelda).

But yeah, never feel like you need to stick with a character that doesn't fit your playstyle.

SilverPaladin

Smash Rookie
The reason I've stopped using Zelda is that my friends really hate playing against her to the point that they'll just stop playing.

A well played Zelda especially against non-top tier players (and I'm not top tier so I understand their frustration) is a maddening experience to fight against. You work and work and work to close, then she clocks you with a F-Smash that seems to last forever and you're knocked back out again and have to make that approach against her Din's Fire, Naryu's Love and Faeore's Wind. It's just annoying as hell to play.

As a result I've gravitated more towards Marth and Snake just so my friends continue to play SSBB with me (even though I think a well played Marth is arguable harder to approach through his wall of SH Fair/Nairs than Zelda. But at least it doesn't "feel" like it).

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I've started quite the discussion. I'm so happy with how supportive these posts have been; thanks for making this a good thread.

As for what I'll do, I think I'll keep experimenting in order to find a character that suits me. At first I adored Zelda and Zamus, but then I started tinkering with other characters. I play Zelda for the same reason I play Zamus and Samus: Solemn, elegant, strong women with cool attack graphics. I also would play Peach if she hadn't been nerfed into total garbagedom. I got tired of Jigglypuff when I realized how weak she has become.

I think I might start experimenting with the Pokemon Trainer now; wish me luck on finding the correct roster of characters which I can play effectively with!

Kricu

Smash Journeyman
I got tired of Jigglypuff when I realized how weak she has become.
When exactly was she strong? I mean I know her rollout was great but that was really about it in melee. Her attacks seem just as weak as before and rollout actually became more useful because you can now jump after it.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
When exactly was she strong? I mean I know her rollout was great but that was really about it in melee. Her attacks seem just as weak as before and rollout actually became more useful because you can now jump after it.
Go and watch melee videos of Mango, King and Chexr.

Top Bottom