• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Charizard Social: Merry Switchmas!

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Well, I didn't do as good as I hoped at the tournament... I got bopped by Katakiri's Meta Knight and Chompy's Pit. I choked hard, but I have a better idea of both matchups. I need to stay grounded and abuse jab/grab/my edgegame. Good players are going to see falling Nair from a mile away and juggle you.

HOWEVER. I wrecked in the OH vs IL crew battle.

I took out JJ's Diddy's last stock in the crew battle without losing a stock. 3-stocked a Toon Link, took out a Kirby main and lost 1 stock, and ultimately lost to a Mii Fighter, but took 2 stocks for a total of 9 stocks. The crowd and hopefully the stream was going crazy. OH was getting wrecked and I got them back in it.

Also, flare blitz is so much better online. It's a lot harder to hit offline.

Last edited:

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
They really need to buff Charizard in less lag, his bair is amazingly laggy, but Shulk's bair does more damage and doesn't have as much lag as that, they really need to do something with Charizard, people were hyped with him from the stream, but now no one really cares as much(not saying about this thread)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Unfortunately Charizard is quite awful. Such a cool character though, but there is no reason he should lag so much.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I know him, he frequents NeoGAF's Smash thread. Played him once before. Want me to pass a message to him?
Nah he was just a tough guy to play against, figured I would easily find him here because he seemed like a serious competent competitive player lol

Shog

Smash Ace
For whatever reason I can't seem to be able to do a quick "foward" back aerial anymore...does somebody could tell me input, so i can train it in slow motion?

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Heya! Name's Timmy. So, I am a Ness main (since Brawl actually) and after trying Charizard again (I had PT as one of my for fun chars back in Brawl lol), I find him quite fun to use and getting reads with him is soooo rewarding, I find. Ironically, Charizard was my worst of the 3. :p

However, while I do find him very fun to play, I've ran into a few problems. I would like to know (didn't see a Q&A thread lol)...

1 - What are all of Charizard's KO Moves? Which are his best and most reliable?

2 - How do you force someone off of the ledge? Normally as Ness, I could run off and Bair to try to stage spike, but sadly I can't do so as Charizard (as least not without dying lol).

3 - His best method(s) of edge guarding?

4 - How do you punish a roll happy opponent? I swear rolling is ridiculously annoying to punish and I feel like Nair needs to get a range buff (god that hitbox looks deceiving lol).

I have yet to get a Wii U; I play on 3DS as of now. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like playing on Wii U will be tons better for me to lower the chance of me getting Up-B when I want to Flare Blitz and vice-versa. xD

I may not post here too often since I am rather quiet, but hope to enjoy my time here and get to know y'all! :3

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
However, while I do find him very fun to play, I've ran into a few problems. I would like to know (didn't see a Q&A thread lol)...
I'm not the greatest Zard main you'll find, but I'll try to answer what I can.

1 - What are all of Charizard's KO Moves? Which are his best and most reliable?
His Up Smash is his fastest, and my personal favorite. The forward smash is very slow, but if you find an opening, it can be devastating. Flare Blitz is also great if you can land it, but it's also sort of slow at start up, so don't try throwing it around too much whenever your opponent is at a high percentage. Save that move for openings instead. His down throw is an option if you're near an edge and your opponent has accumulated a good amount of damage.

2 - How do you force someone off of the ledge? Normally as Ness, I could run off and Bair to try to stage spike, but sadly I can't do so as Charizard (as least not without dying lol).
His back throw does a decent job.

3 - His best method(s) of edge guarding?
His forward air is powerful, and will usually KO if you land it. But, it is a tad bit slow. His backwards air is even more dangerous and has a longer range, but its more laggy as well. Some characters with weaker recovery will be messed up by a flamethrower if you stand at the ledge. I recommend to use this on any character who's not in a position to edge guard, actually, because they're quite vulnerable to that move when they're trying to recover.
4 - How do you punish a roll happy opponent? I swear rolling is ridiculously annoying to punish and I feel like Nair needs to get a range buff (god that hitbox looks deceiving lol).
Backwards rolls, at least, will leave people very open to Flare Blitz.[/quote][/quote]

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I can't believe I just read that someone thinks nair needs a range buff

Excuse me while I throw up

The thought of nair having more range is gross

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Maybe they could make it not unsafe on hit when not sweetspotted or something like not being a free punish even if you autocancel it on block.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
Maybe they could make it not unsafe on hit when not sweetspotted or something like not being a free punish even if you autocancel it on block.
Making the sweetspot larger would be nice -- it'd fix this too :D

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ah! I forgot to mention, but I got third in a local tournament with nothing but Charizard. :4charizard:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Did see any Q/A;

Any setup(s) to start an Utilt-juggle at low %?
Best attack(s) to end the Utilt-juggle with?

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
"Welp the boards I care about are moving slowly right now, let's see what's going on in the Charizard boa-"

>Etrian Odyssey

We can be friends.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
How do I recover in a smart way with zard? Should side-b used as recovery at all? I feel like zard should always recover low.

Also, what are his best spacing tools?

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
How do I recover in a smart way with zard? I mean I always side-b and than up-b but thats all I do. How do I mix ot up?
If you time your flare blitz right, you can snap onto the ledge with it. It's a little tricky though, so try practicing with this.

If you have an opponent who is very aggressive about gimping you, don't hesitate to Flare Blitz, though. The start up lag one that move could cost you if you wait for them to jump off after you.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

Anyone planning on getting a Charizard amiibo?:4charizard:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome

mimgrim

Smash Hero
How do I recover in a smart way with zard? Should side-b used as recovery at all? I feel like zard should always recover low.
Mix-up sweet spotting Side Special, landing with Side Special, and sweet spotting with Up Special.

Also, what are his best spacing tools?
Nair, Nair, Jab, Bair, Nair, Nair, Jab, Ftilt, Nair, Nair, Jab, Fair, Nair, Nair, Jab, Dtilt, Nair, Nair, Jab, and did I mention Nair and Jab?

So...

Anyone planning on getting a Charizard amiibo?:4charizard:
I don't plan on getting any Amiibos.

Last edited:

Boozer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevilBoozer
3DS FC
4124-5214-3831
Also, does he have any good follow ups on his grab?
at really low percents (like, 0% l0l) you can sometimes fair people out of upthrow if they dont di away

you can also do the same sometimes out of bthrow because you can act as soon as you throw them, so you can run after them and maybe get a fair in. neither is guaranteed though, charizard's throws don't really lend themselves to follow ups very well~ (DTHROW KILLS THO THAT'S TOTES A GRAB FOLLOW UP :006:)

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
even though i hate the person above, he's right, none of charizard's throws have followups

this is probably a design choice, because it's, y'know, charizard

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Zard's throws are more about throwing the opponent off-stage so that you can be in advantage and follow them off-stage. So, more about positional advantage. Even though they don't have follow-up potential they are really good for what they are suppose to do and are on top of a pretty big grab as well.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Alright guys, I decided that, just for the lulz, I'll try to make a comic using screenshots and the paint tool in.
The star of the show is gonna be our buddy Zard, and it's about how all the dragon pokemon reject him because he's a fire/flying type.

I made four pictures already. There they are;

What do ya'll think? Should I keep going? Or is my handwriting and sense of humor just so terrible that I need to stop immedietly before this catastrophe of a comic threatens the earth and all of life as we know it?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Alright guys, I decided that, just for the lulz, I'll try to make a comic using screenshots and the paint tool in.
The star of the show is gonna be our buddy Zard, and it's about how all the dragon pokemon reject him because he's a fire/flying type.

I made four pictures already. There they are;

What do ya'll think? Should I keep going? Or is my handwriting and sense of humor just so terrible that I need to stop immedietly before this catastrophe of a comic threatens the earth and all of life as we know it?
Sheik used Acupressure. But it failed.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
All of my meh.
Eh, figures.
Telling how funny someone else is is one thing, but telling how funny you are yourself is really difficult.

I have all these ideas that are hilarious in my head, but now that I think about it, they probably won't be so funny on paper.

Last edited:
Top Bottom