• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta The Charizard Metagame Discussion Topic

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
@Saturn I've gotten it to push enemies in shield a couple of times. I haven't labbed up yet though.

Also, I haven't seen comments anywhere on here about how Zard can ledge drop, double jump, Fair, land on stage, and still autocancel the Fair. I was so shocked when I got that to work the other day. The timing is just really strict. It gives us another ledge option that I haven't ever seen mentioned here. Does anybody use it?
yeah i figured that out a couple days ago too. it works with nair as well. pretty cool. i was labbing for a while a ledge drop -> dj air dodge onto stage, you can cancel the landing frames on the air dodge from that as well. that timing is REALLY strict, you must buffer the air dodge and jump right after you ledge drop. prob only 1 frame window.

Last edited:

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Hello Charizard forum! I'm a new zard and found him incredibly fun to play and my new secondary besides the super fighting robot himself.

I was playing around in the lab yesterday and found out that dthrow true combos (according to the lab) into FB at around 80% on Mario.Idk what happens with some DI and I don't really have anyone to test this with, and I can imagine it won't work if they DI away. What would you suggest around these % if they DI away?

EDIT: It didn't true combo, my mistake. Didn't know FB counted as 2 hits.

Last edited:

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Hello Charizard forum! I'm a new zard and found him incredibly fun to play and my new secondary besides the super fighting robot himself.

I was playing around in the lab yesterday and found out that dthrow true combos (according to the lab) into FB at around 80% on Mario. Idk what happens with some DI and I don't really have anyone to test this with, and I can imagine it won't work if they DI away. What would you suggest around these % if they DI away?
I'd honestly just F/Bthrow them offstage after a pummel or two against a Mario if I had a grab at that percent. Uair true combos without DI but I don't think it will with DI away so, in terms of damage, you're better off just not using Dthrow. You could also go for a Dthrow and bait out an airdodge or second jump by threatening with a Uair but it's up to you. Personally, I would just prioritize stage control at that high of a percent and go for your kill some other way.

Lyserdon

Smash Cadet
NNID
420BlitzIt
I'm not a high level player by any means so I'd love some feedback on some of the things I've been having success with as Zard, and whether they have any utility in high level play or are easily avoided/punished.

This one is extremely situational, and maybe a good/lagless Link won't ever let this happen, but one of my favorite things to do in the Link matchup is wait for a boomerang, SH it and land with a Flamethrower. Then wait for the boomerang to come back and push you into him, keeping him in the flames longer.

Another thing I've been experimenting with is mixing up the height of a recovering FB very slightly right around the height of the ledge. It's got a few different behaviors that all occur at very similar, hard to read heights, and maybe could be good for conditioning/mind gaming an opponent waiting for an edge guard?

As far as I can tell, very close to the height of the ledge, you can do the following:
- FB on stage in a straight line: will probably be shielded or spotdodged, but if they're close enough to the ledge, it doesn't seem to be very punishable on shield. At least less punishable than having it shielded at center stage.
- FB so your hurtbox extends slightly below stage height: you slide upwards and land on stage, opponents may think you're going to crash or sweet spot, and its possible to get a hit or just FB past them and regain some stage control.
- FB slightly lower than that: I'm not 100% sure but I think there is a height below the "slide up" height and above the sweet spot where you will collide with the stage (I vaguely recall some sort of wall cling shenanigans with a Diddy wall clinging at the very top of the ledge, above the sweet spot, I think this is taking advantage of that same spot): sometimes catches someone expecting a sweet spot and dropping their shield by surprise. The explosion in contact with the stage can still hit them. And again, if not safe, it's at least safER than an onstage blocked FB.

And then of course just below that is the sweet spot, and below that you collide with the stage again (which can also potentially hit someone on stage with the explosion.

Is there any use to mixing up these options? I've gotten several kills this way both on FG and at locals, plus the countless times its gotten me back stage control. But if it's really punishable or useless against better opponents I'd like to take it out of my game and focus on other recovery options.

Edit: Is it already known that rising FH nair or fair onto BF platforms will autocancel?

Last edited:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
You are right about the colliding with the edge with FB, if at least half or so of Zard is over the stage lip, you will blow up instead of sweetspotting.

Speaking of side B to recover, on stages with no wall (Delfino/Halberd floating basically), you can side B and hold down to keep flying into the stage. Great, meaty option to hit people as they try to sweetspot, and good at hitting people who are just waiting for you to grab the ledge.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a high level player by any means so I'd love some feedback on some of the things I've been having success with as Zard, and whether they have any utility in high level play or are easily avoided/punished.

This one is extremely situational, and maybe a good/lagless Link won't ever let this happen, but one of my favorite things to do in the Link matchup is wait for a boomerang, SH it and land with a Flamethrower. Then wait for the boomerang to come back and push you into him, keeping him in the flames longer.

Another thing I've been experimenting with is mixing up the height of a recovering FB very slightly right around the height of the ledge. It's got a few different behaviors that all occur at very similar, hard to read heights, and maybe could be good for conditioning/mind gaming an opponent waiting for an edge guard?

As far as I can tell, very close to the height of the ledge, you can do the following:
- FB on stage in a straight line: will probably be shielded or spotdodged, but if they're close enough to the ledge, it doesn't seem to be very punishable on shield. At least less punishable than having it shielded at center stage.
- FB so your hurtbox extends slightly below stage height: you slide upwards and land on stage, opponents may think you're going to crash or sweet spot, and its possible to get a hit or just FB past them and regain some stage control.
- FB slightly lower than that: I'm not 100% sure but I think there is a height below the "slide up" height and above the sweet spot where you will collide with the stage (I vaguely recall some sort of wall cling shenanigans with a Diddy wall clinging at the very top of the ledge, above the sweet spot, I think this is taking advantage of that same spot): sometimes catches someone expecting a sweet spot and dropping their shield by surprise. The explosion in contact with the stage can still hit them. And again, if not safe, it's at least safER than an onstage blocked FB.

And then of course just below that is the sweet spot, and below that you collide with the stage again (which can also potentially hit someone on stage with the explosion.

Is there any use to mixing up these options? I've gotten several kills this way both on FG and at locals, plus the countless times its gotten me back stage control. But if it's really punishable or useless against better opponents I'd like to take it out of my game and focus on other recovery options.

Edit: Is it already known that rising FH nair or fair onto BF platforms will autocancel?
The thing with Link sounds like it would work but you would probably have to start hitting him with flamethrower on the way down from your SH to hit him during lag. Also, watch out for custom boomerangs at locals (if you all use them) because there's a custom boomerang that has a hitbox on the way back as well.

I find that mix ups with flare blitz recoveries work decently in online environments but that might just be the lag preventing some of the better players from shielding in time. I think the extent to which it is punishable on shield or whiff is somewhat MU dependant though. At the very least, I wouldn't go for a mixup if I were at kill percent.

Another FB option to keep in mind is Flare Blitzing slightly above their shield's height. Most of the people I run into put up their shields anyway to avoid getting hit and this usually gets me a little breathing room on the other end of most stages. Faster characters seem to be able to punish it well though. Also, don't use this on characters with crazy strong Usmashes in case they try something risky.

Lyserdon

Smash Cadet
NNID
420BlitzIt
The thing with Link sounds like it would work but you would probably have to start hitting him with flamethrower on the way down from your SH to hit him during lag. Also, watch out for custom boomerangs at locals (if you all use them) because there's a custom boomerang that has a hitbox on the way back as well.

I find that mix ups with flare blitz recoveries work decently in online environments but that might just be the lag preventing some of the better players from shielding in time. I think the extent to which it is punishable on shield or whiff is somewhat MU dependant though. At the very least, I wouldn't go for a mixup if I were at kill percent.

Another FB option to keep in mind is Flare Blitzing slightly above their shield's height. Most of the people I run into put up their shields anyway to avoid getting hit and this usually gets me a little breathing room on the other end of most stages. Faster characters seem to be able to punish it well though. Also, don't use this on characters with crazy strong Usmashes in case they try something risky.
That all makes sense, thanks. Speaking of that height, I've also noticed that if you FB into the top of taller characters, you can act out of it before you hit the ground on hit or block.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have any tips for fighting against Captain Falcon? I know about the obvious exploiting his bad recovery but I'm talking about the neutral in general like how do you approach him. Flamethrower isn't 100% reliable because I need to fully predict if he's going to commit to a dash grab or attack otherwise he can easily avoid it and punish me.
Also how should I DI out of his down grab? Getting grabbed at 0% basically means I'm gonna get juggled to 40% since Charizard has no fast aerials to defend him self.
And how do I punish Falcon's B-air on shield? It does so much shield stun that I can't punish.
I can beat Falcon but I really struggle against him though.

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
Don't approach falcon. From what I've seen, most falcons REAALLY want to approach you. You can read these approaches and react with nair, shield, or spot dodge. As you stated, exploiting his bad recovery is a strong way to get kills because it is very easy to gimp.

Not sure about DI on dthrow, but usually you can get a rock smash in after the first or second up air, if the falcon wants to try to keep the juggle.

Falcon bair can only really be punished by powershield iirc.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Falcon bair is about -7 on shield when timed optimally, which is as close to the ground as possible (not including "frame canceling" which would make it even safer)

This means that the only out of shield option that is fast enough to punish that is the first hit of usmash, but with the shield pushback you won't reach him.

If Falcon bairs your shield from higher up, though, your frame advantage improves - for instance, drop shield -> jab is 11 frames. However, if Falcon spaces his bair well, you will still be out of range after the shield pushback.

Basically, if Falcon spaces well and/or does it low to the ground, there is nothing you can do without powershielding.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
I've always thought the :4sheik: matchup was very winnable for :4charizard: and now that I realize just how many situations OOS up-b works in, I feel the same way. It's 55:45 Sheik's favor at best.

I lost to a :4metaknight: with Zard in bracket tonight, but the player was definitely better than me so I'm not very salty. It reinforced my opinion that :4charizard: wins that MU. I got scooped into the textbook upair-upair-upari-upb combo on Town & City while at 20% and still lived because Zard is so heavy. Lost the game last stock last hit. Empty-hopping is really good against MK because of how ftilt and dtilt outspace him.

Last edited:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Basically, Sheik has to retreat all her aerials or she will get hit by Fly.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Generally, when fighting falcon, I try to box him out at midrange. I like to mix up my use of spaced short hop fairs, jabs, and flamethowers in the neutral.

If the falcon i'm fighting is spending a little bit too much time in the air, Nair / RAR nairs are generally my go to way of punsihing him without putting myself at risk.

If the falcon player is shielding most of my approaches, thats when I start to mix in the occasional rocksmash and tomahawk grab.

If you manage to land a dtilt near the ledge, that's probably a stock. The jank horizontal knockback will pri much force him to recover low, which is easy gimps for you.
Ftilt is just sort of there if i want to contest one of falcon's moves without trading.

Besides that, the usual stuff works just fine. Juggle him if you get him above you, abuse his bad recovery, ect.

Pi Aaa

Smash Rookie
Assuming that hitlag has stayed the same from 1.0.4 to 1.0.9, these are the more important changes:

Dtilt: 1.2x to 1.0x (around 2 frames safer according to the hitlag formula)
Fsmash: 1.5x to 1.2x (frame 22 only; later frames already have 1.0x hitlag)
Rock Smash and Rock Hurl first hit: 1.3x to 1.04x
Dragon Rush last hit: 3.0x to 2.4x
Flare Blitz explosion: 1.5x to 1.2x

There are no changes to fair or nair.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Whoaaaa I had no idea about these changes... The dtilt hitlag never made sense to me. Not a particularly strong move, no elemental effect, why the extra lag?

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Does this mean these moves are safer on shield then before? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I have no clue about hitlag modifiers.

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
Yeah, p much. The stall effect that happens when you hit a shield (most noticable on moves like dragon rush) is the hitlag. Though it doesn't automatically mean that they are safe on shield. Like Dragon Rush, for example. It will p much always be unsafe on shield (unless you get the crossup)

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Assuming that hitlag has stayed the same from 1.0.4 to 1.0.9, these are the more important changes:

Dtilt: 1.2x to 1.0x (around 2 frames safer according to the hitlag formula)
Fsmash: 1.5x to 1.2x (frame 22 only; later frames already have 1.0x hitlag)
Rock Smash and Rock Hurl first hit: 1.3x to 1.04x
Dragon Rush last hit: 3.0x to 2.4x
Flare Blitz explosion: 1.5x to 1.2x

There are no changes to fair or nair.
Dtilt's hitlag change...any chance that is a result of the move getting a 2 frame buff since 1.0.0?

EDIT: What I mean is, is the fact that it's 2 frames safer on shield really a reflection of its two frame buff?

Last edited:

MasterExocuter

Smash Cadet
Dtilt's hitlag change...any chance that is a result of the move getting a 2 frame buff since 1.0.0?

EDIT: What I mean is, is the fact that it's 2 frames safer on shield really a reflection of its two frame buff?
Well, whether it's actually proof of a 2 frame buff or not, having 2 frames safer on shield is a pretty big thing in the current meta. Say you ran up to someone and dtilted and they shielded. Maybe having 2 frames safer on shield allows you to catch their "punish" with a jab, Zard's fastest move

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Why did my Fly go so high at 1:43? It's like more than double the distance, was it because of G&W's trampoline? If so I had no idea other players could use his trampoline.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I've been thinking of a way to set up a ledge trump lately, but for it to be usable we need stuff out of it. Does Charizard's bair work reliably enough after kicking someone off the ledge? Any other options?

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Nair off the ledge works well after a trump. Bair is too slow to be guaranteed.

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
Usually I can get a bair in the very few situations where a ledge trump happens, but ledge trumping in general is p much inferior to Zard's other edgeguarding tactics. Not to mention that most good opponents will buffer a roll or a jump and immediately have the advantage. Flamethrower alone sets up into either a fsmash or a run offstage bair on most characters depending on your opponent's habits.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Ah, okay, so I'm better off just staying onstage most of the time and pressuring with Flamethrower.

Last edited:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Against characters who peek over the ledge as they hang, you can trump to waste their invincibility and then Dragon Rush them on the regrab for free.

rrrRandy

Smash Cadet
If you do get a trump, your best option is probably to get back on stage to cover the regrab. Fsmash will kill earliest, but is really projected and can allow the opponent enough time to properly react and recover high safely; Dsmash is slightly faster, slightly weaker, slightly less projected and has a larger hitbox; down-angled Ftilt will kill significantly later, but requires far less commitment so you can still cover the recover high option with Fair/Uair if you need to; short-hop Dair might be fun to style on people, and might even be worth the trouble at the appropriate %s. For an immediate trump follow-up, I've never attempted it myself, but ledge-drop turn-around jump Fair might work. It would probably involve some quick buffering to pull off successfully.

Speaking of buffering aerials, I'm not sure if this has been documented anywhere, but I'm fairly certain Charizard (and all other characters with >2 jumps + Yoshi) actually can have Bair auto-corrected if you buffer it during the initial frames of a turn-around jump. When in the air, jump backwards and press A immediately after, and you should end up with your character jumping backwards while doing a Bair in the direction they were originally facing, i.e. the opposite direction in which you were holding the stick. I haven't properly tested it, but I'm fairly certain it works since it's happened to me multiple times when trying to input ledge-drop jump Fairs, and I end up doing a Bair at the ledge instead (which probably would actually make for a decent mix-up if you planned for it, but you'd have to hit it since you're forced into a ledge regrab/up-B on-stage due to endlag, so eh). It might also work with Fairs if you C-stick forward instead of A, I don't know because it can't really happen by accident. And if it turns out this isn't actually a thing at all, maybe I should invest in a new controller.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
So what would be the best course of action in avoiding be stage spiked while using fly? Specifically against Marth. My friend has started running offstage and back airing me and managing to hit me when the super armor isn't there and it has become very annoying.

Is there anything I can really do about this. It's come to the point where he just stands there waiting for me to use it, occasionally I can flare blitz over him but that doesn't always work. Am I just better off going Pikachu in this MU?

Last edited:

Lyserdon

Smash Cadet
NNID
420BlitzIt
So what would be the best course of action in avoiding be stage spiked while using fly? Specifically against Marth. My friend has started running offstage and back airing me and managing to hit me when the super armor isn't there and it has become very annoying.

Is there anything I can really do about this. It's come to the point where he just stands there waiting for me to use it, occasionally I can flare blitz over him but that doesn't always work. Am I just better off going Pikachu in this MU?
This might be a dumb suggestion but can you space your Fly far enough from the ledge to make it awkward or impossible for him to get around you for the bair? Fly ledgesnaps from surprisingly far, or sometimes I'll intentionally just miss the ledge snap which puts some hitboxes above the height of the ledge, potentially catching them off guard.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
This might be a dumb suggestion but can you space your Fly far enough from the ledge to make it awkward or impossible for him to get around you for the bair? Fly ledgesnaps from surprisingly far, or sometimes I'll intentionally just miss the ledge snap which puts some hitboxes above the height of the ledge, potentially catching them off guard.
I do try that, I'm not sure on the specific frames but it seems like he's able to hit me at the start and the end of the animation. So if I go for a max range fly to snap he's able to catch me right before I grab the ledge. If I try and do it quickly he will hit me before I get the super armor. What you suggested did work for me once, I managed to stage spike him as he ran off but I chalked it up to more of a mistake on his part. Luckily it's really just Marth that has been happening with, my friend tried it with Metaknight but it wasn't working out to well for him.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking of a way to set up a ledge trump lately, but for it to be usable we need stuff out of it. Does Charizard's bair work reliably enough after kicking someone off the ledge? Any other options?
Ledge trump Bair is a thing. High risk high reward but it's still a thing. I've gotten it to work in tournament. Definitely doesn't feel guaranteed though. Covering the regrab is usually optimal unless you are desperate or want to style, as others have said.

I do try that, I'm not sure on the specific frames but it seems like he's able to hit me at the start and the end of the animation. So if I go for a max range fly to snap he's able to catch me right before I grab the ledge. If I try and do it quickly he will hit me before I get the super armor. What you suggested did work for me once, I managed to stage spike him as he ran off but I chalked it up to more of a mistake on his part. Luckily it's really just Marth that has been happening with, my friend tried it with Metaknight but it wasn't working out to well for him.
You get super armor for the very beginning of Fly. He should only be able to hit you shortly after you start rising to the very end. If you mix up when you use Fly (sometimes max height, sometimes min height) it should make it a lot harder for him to stage spike you. If he walks off before you use Fly, try to Fly into him from as close as possible because the armor will protect you. That's how you punish him when he mistimes the walk off. If he doesn't do off stage counters, you can also recover low with Flare Blitz.

Also what BlitzIt said helps too. Never hug the stage when you grab the ledge with Fly unless you are certain they won't go for the stage spike.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I have a few questions if I can ask them here.

1) What are Charizard's worst matchups?
2) Out of Shulk, Mario, Link, and Roy, which of these does he struggle with the most?
3) What are Charizard's most noteworthy weaknesses?
4) What are his most punishable moves?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Sounds like someone's struggling with a Zard xD

ZSS is definitely Zard's worst matchup, ****s on Zard in neutral, ****s on Zard when she gets an advantage, and has a pretty decent time getting out of disadvantage

Mario and Link are probably the worst two there, Mario has great combos, good pressure, and insane frame data while Link has good zoning and strong range/power up close. Both are definitely winnable for Zard though, only a slight disadvantage at worst

Zard is large and floaty so he hates being in the air above opponents (lol flying type). He also has pretty weak options for being aggressive in neutral

Everything he has is pretty unsafe on shield, but his range can make him safer depending on the character

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
I have a few questions if I can ask them here.

1) What are Charizard's worst matchups?
2) Out of Shulk, Mario, Link, and Roy, which of these does he struggle with the most?
3) What are Charizard's most noteworthy weaknesses?
4) What are his most punishable moves?
Personally, I think ZSS is probably the worst we have in general (like Steeler said). RosaLuma MU is bad if you cover our roll ins and avoid grabs. Sheik MU is bad for obvious reasons. Dedede is a pain. Luigi MU is pretty bad if and only if you get grabs on Zard.

If you're one of those guys that combos like a beast with Mario, then Mario. If you actually space Nair properly with Roy by fast falling and staying out of shield grab range, the Roy MU can be bad for us too. If you struggle to do either of these things then the respective MU goes from slightly in your favor to somewhat out of your favor though.

Our biggest weakness is that we are combo food. Just don't get over-agressive and get rock smashed. Our second biggest weakness is that our frame data is bad.

Nair on shield is punishable by a lot of characters even if Zard spaces it really well. If Zard ever ****s up an autocancel on an aerial, punish that too. We have a lot of lag. Ftilt usually is. Dtilt is if Zard whiffs and you have good reactions and a quick character. It's also punishable on powershield or if you're using a really quick character and you normally shield it. Same thing with Fair. Flare Blitz is also soooooo much free damage if you can jab lock after you shield it. Fox can get upwards of 30% off of it at low percent.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
My friend loves to grab me whenever possible and covers my ledge recovery with Bair at high prevents. That jab seems to go out fairly far as well.

JJBro1

Smash Journeyman
Wtf are you supposed to do against zero suit samus?! That's side b to grab combo is impossible to avoid. And if you get juggled forget about it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom