• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Grimmz

Smash Journeyman
  • tips:
  1. zdrop any bananas you catch or keep ahold of them for combos
  2. try to keep diddy airborne
  3. run towards diddy the second the match start and catch any banana he throws before he can use them
  4. know how to handle your banana
  • cp:
  1. bf
  2. rc
  3. brinstar
  • ban:
  1. fd
hyeeessss.

Dietcoke101

Smash Rookie
Hey, I just recently became a Captain Falcon main, and I was wondering what's the best way to train with him. I've read a bunch of guides and have been facing LV 9s so far. Also is there any really helpful hints I should know when using him?

:phone:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Well here are my 2 cents :
-Train your basics : SDI, DI, momentum canceling, spacing, basic tech like jab cancel, autocanceled aerials and buffering

-If you only have CPUs to train with then set specific goals, like winning without getting touched once to train your spacing, or winning with a 100% handicap to train your DI, etc. Your goal should never be to simply beat CPUs, because they're ********.

-here are Falcon's moves that you should master in priority : Uair, Bair, Jab, Grab and Utilt. I'm not saying to not use any other move, but those are your best options in 90% of the matchups.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Hey, I just recently became a Captain Falcon main, and I was wondering what's the best way to train with him. I've read a bunch of guides and have been facing LV 9s so far. Also is there any really helpful hints I should know when using him?

Simple. Knee everything that moves.

SpeedTas Xyvar

Smash Rookie
The good ol' cap'n....sometimes I wish he wasn't so low on the tier list.
I'm not an F-zero fan but from my years playing smash
bros I'm convinced that Cap'n Falcon could have potential for the next game. And for poeple who are willing to try, Brawl as well.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Hold A, it beats all the spotdodges rolls and airdodges in the world, it interrupts move strings and cures cancer.

Also gentleman cancel.

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
Happy new year, u manly *******s xD I had a question regarding the Snake MU, how does CF approach a grounded Snake surrounding himself with grenades and ****?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Dash to him when he pulls a grenade, grab him.
If he didn't pull a grenade then retreat because you're gonna get Ftilt'd.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
You can also jab them to stop them in their tracks. Perhaps you could pick them back up and throw them back at him before he starts to strip you the rest of the time lol.

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
In order to take out Snake:

You need to be a good distance away to read his movements, is he the type to:
A: walk up and forward tilt his way to you.
B: Camp you out till you die by explosions.
C: Camp you out till you try to rush in, and then get forward tilted.

In order to counter these tactics, you have a few options:
A: wait till he forward tilts you on your shield and condition him to a movement that can be punished by grab, attack or mindgame.
B: wait till he is about to pull out a grenade and then grab him so he has to focus on grab DI, and then make use of the grenade itself so Snake is forced to respond to his own grenade.
C: Never allow this.

The second choice is best because your mindgames are doing all the work. You cant let snake pressure you, or hell put you in a bad spot, what you need to do is condition the snake player to camp so you can punish his grenades. Keep a look out for his mines for they will turn the match in an instant, and see if you can stay away from them in a match spawn. a snake player will try to use this when you spawn to get rid of your invincibility time, so ignore it and get him while you can. Snake is extremely vulnerable while offstage and will try to recover high, so make note of this and assume the high recover almost every time.

In short: you hand the snake player a bit of sandpaper and shout encouragement as they massage their undarcarage with it trying to outsmart you.

Spanky-Joe

Smash Cadet
I'm kind of new to playing as captain, could I get some pointers on how to up my game with him? I know how to time the aerial falcon punch which is a good tool to use but that's about it...

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
I'm kind of new to playing as captain, could I get some pointers on how to up my game with him? I know how to time the aerial falcon punch which is a good tool to use but that's about it...

The first thing to know about captain falcon that will make you better with him is to realize that his weaknesses outweigh his strengths:

Cons:
Bad HitBoxes
Bad Priority in the majority of his moves
Bad Range
Bad matchups overall
Bad combo ability

Pros:
He is faster than everyone only being outclassed by sonic
He has decent aerial game
He can auto cancel f-air, n-air, b-air, u-air. (No d-air cancel)
He has good jab and follow-up capability
He's Captain Falcon

Afterwards:
Look online at videos that demonstrate mainstream falcon techniques and follow-ups till you get enough experience to make your own follow-ups.
Obsere, integrate and perfect falcon advanced techniques that you believe will improve your game. There is a lot of techniques, so i suggest taking a look at LordHelmet's technique video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiU1yevyaO0
I also have a video about techs and tricks on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNbCutiZVYI
Also, dont rely on cpu's for training after your moves are second nature. Cpu's can only help you perfect spacing, because they are not real people and they are dumb. So it is best to train with other people.

Remember that Falcon is a hidden gem, and only your hard work and determination can help you when you feel like giving up falcon, because it will be hard. It is the effort that makes it worth while so try your best, and remember that being a badass with Falcon is all that matters.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Recently I've been having problems against Snakes who can edgeguard, as my experience against them is laughable.

My main problem against this kind of opponent happens when he usmashes near the ledge as I try a ledge getup/ledge attack/rejump/w-e. Can I use a bit of the invincibility frames after letting go of the edge as quickly as possible? Can I cancel an usmash missile with an aerial? Do I have any other options?

Also, what is the best way to practice Platform Canceling?

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
Recently I've been having problems against Snakes who can edgeguard, as my experience against them is laughable.

My main problem against this kind of opponent happens when he usmashes near the ledge as I try a ledge getup/ledge attack/rejump/w-e. Can I use a bit of the invincibility frames after letting go of the edge as quickly as possible? Can I cancel an usmash missile with an aerial? Do I have any other options?

Also, what is the best way to practice Platform Canceling?
To get off the ledge against snake you need o be able to forsee what he'll do against you:

A: Nakita will be a likely option as it can move and wait for falcon to let go and regrab, causing the nakita to gimp falcon or stage spike him if damageis high enough.
B: C-4 drop is another option. blowing an opponent up right after dropping the C-4, but it is only done once in a while so it is fresh.
C: Up smashing so the mortars fall off the ledge is a great tool for snake, because it can create a wall against recoveries if spammed and it can hit you below the stage too.

To counter these you may need the following:

A: Patience, sometimes practicing avoiding projectiles offstage and using up-b to move around them can cause the snake player to become impatient and try to take the ledge from you so you return to the stage and beginyour ground game again.
B: using side-b as a planking option: Not many people use this, but when you use side-b right below the ledge, it helps falcon regrab the ledge a little faster than he would normally. This is usually used when trying to edgeguard bad recoveries, but in this case it is used when trying to mind game the snake player until you simply let go of the ledge and then hop onto the stage to punish the waiting snake.
C: Up-b from the ledge. You can latch onto snake when he is close enough to the ledge (perhaps he is trying to up-smash you) and then throw him back thus dealing roughly 20 damage and returning you to the stage. Simply tap left on the control stick tolet go of the ledge and then up-b towards the stage to latch onto the snake.

PS: Even if you miss the player (cause the up-b works with almost every character) you will fly far onto the stage. On stage with platforms (i find battlefield the best for this) you can fly onto the upper platform and your opponent will try to chase you. If quick enough, they wont see it coming and you can still get away.

PLATFORM CANCELLING
Assuming you know how to perform the platform cancel:
Practice on smashville, for this is the most common stage in tournament play and is by far the easiest place to perform it on. (Platform cancelling only works on platforms that move!) Also, it is important to try and memorize the the timing it takes to reach the platform with different character. My advice is to work on only one character and memorize the time it takes to reach the platform fromthe ground. And then start implementing the platform cancel and figuring out the precise timing with the jump to the platform cancel. Now all it takes is conditioning and implementing the move into your play style.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
If you used falcon dive in part of your recovery be aware of your RCO lag which will make your already **** options even more laggy. If you are on smashville wait for the platform to come to one side and grab it when it comes to you. It's also advised to simply double jump to platforms to get away as well, be careful not to put yourself into up tilt range on the platform though if you air dodge through the up smash. Ledge hop upairs work good as another option if you feel the need to attack from the ledge. I also like to air dodge through the snake and pivot grab him but that's unnecessary flash lol.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
best way to platform cancel is to simply tap down as you pass through the platform

people needlessly make it complicated for some reason by saying you need to input an attack and press down to platform cancel, but nope

just tap down as you pass through

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Even easier, hold down and release it when going through the platform.
Hold down and press shield when going through the platform.
Hold down-forward diagonal and press up on the C stick to instantly start running as soon as you PC.

dengel

Smash Cadet
In Captain Falcon dittos, I seem to be having problems with jabs. I'm not that great a player myself, but I'm playing people who are just learning to play Brawl competitively. Anyway, the only way it seems that the matches are close is when I mess up with jabs and get stuck in jab combos.

What are the best ways to deal with a Captain Falcon who does full jab combos a lot? (How should I react if I get stuck close to CF, further away, or off the ground?)

Also, I seem to be having trouble with jab > jab > grab. Like half the time he is able to get his jab out before I can grab him. Should I be doing jab > jab (cancel) > grab, or jab > jab > shield grab, or is my timing just off?

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
@dengel: your timing is probably off, it should go like this; jab, jab(pause for a half second) grab

@Desu~: You could always do what lordy does; wall jump offstage reverse falcon punch.
I've managed to hit Adhd, Raptor, and bizkit with those.

Ieven

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone,

I guess this question has been already ask, but how do an ADA without lag without TAP Jump ?

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I'm gonna throw down with xyro (retired whack samus :D )at the opening LSC event HOBO 39

I'm going to need some tips on this one if you guys don't mind. Getting in on samus is going to be the hard part, especially on this kind of samus. Anyone have any other reliable options of gettin through zair?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I'm gonna throw down with xyro (retired whack samus :D )at the opening LSC event HOBO 39

I'm going to need some tips on this one if you guys don't mind. Getting in on samus is going to be the hard part, especially on this kind of samus. Anyone have any other reliable options of gettin through zair?
Samus is actually a pretty fun match-up.

Falcon doesn't have too much trouble keeping in her comfort zone. Even though zair is kinda random, you gotta keep in mind that Samus is a floaty character. Even her shorthop will keep her in the air for a bit of time, even if she fast falls. That being said, from my experience, keeping in the airspace above her (using double jumps) can really limit her zair pressure, seeing as how throwing out a zair after a full hop or double jump is extremely unsafe.

See, whenever someone uses Samus' zair, they're unable to fastfall during it. It's one of those moves that restricts fastfalling. The Samus would have had to reach the peak of her extremely slow jump height, then fastfalled before throwing out the zair. Which failure to do that can really mess her up. I've baited zair spammers into free knees just by playing on that fact. Xyro's a smart Samus though. I can't see him as the type to full hop or double jump unnecessarily with Samus. It would be smarter for her to just keep low to the ground with zairs and missiles. So that being said, keep in the air.

Once you're in, stay in. Samus has an awkward hurtbox, so most of your aerials should hit just fine if you space them properly. Dair and RAR Bair are your best friends -- and sweetspot knees attract to Samus like a magnet. It seriously takes little effort and precision to sweetspot her for a kill, so don't bother staling it before then unless you really need to. If you can get her off the stage with the knee, do that too, seeing as how gimping Samus is easy compared to most of our match-ups. Even if she down+B stalls in the air to come back to the stage, fall off and uair (or fall off and jump toward her and uair). Watch out for her dair though. If she throws that out and misses, you can punish it's horrible cooldown. But... well, it's a huge hitbox. Slow and laggy, but a huge hitbox. Just time your aerials better and space her out.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Or you can get in my face, jab, grab, pummel, throw and wait for a hole to land a bair/knee/uair all day. Nothing samus has out of shield is faster than falcons jab, especially if u jab cancel it. Hell, falcons Jab stops my up+b OOS too.

No matter what though, Xyro poops on all low tiers so please prepare to die.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Dair will help me with a lot of kill setups and reverse up airs off the stage are good for gimping, however I'm kinda 50/50 on trying to gimp samus as ^ gets lots of gimps lol. I seem to have the mu understood, now it's just applying dat tech.

Nah bruh I know what to watch out for I'm comin for ya!

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
IT'S A TRAP
Samus' up B has invincible startup, don't jab it unless you want to die take a lot of some percents.

Ok practical advice time :
-side B under Samus' SH Zair or Missile
-clash with her missiles with SH knee, if you're close enough you can even punish her with knee's late hitbox after canceling the missile
-be careful of your landings as charged shot will eat your vulnerable frames, even if you airdodge to spotdodge. alway be ready to jump/FF/up B
-SDI her Fair and Uair
-don't fight her Dair from below, you will lose

And yeah as Darky said, she's top tier on Falcon's official sandbag tier list, a SH knee will sweetspot on a standing Samus.

Top Bottom