• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I did. It combo'd because they didn't expect it, lol.

... So no it isn't a combo. It's a pseudo, if you will. On Bowser.

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I've got a question. Why don't we Falcons stage spike like we did in smash 64? I mean, if the opponent air dodges it, they probably die. Why not throw it in there along with gimping?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
You mean up+B stage spiking? The knee titanium wasn't around during that time, so I'm assuming that's what you mean. A lot of people still do that, but airdodges are different from how they use to be too. Air-dodging doesn't guarantee your death offstage anymore.

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Dur! Sorry >.<". I meant D-air spiking/meteor smashing. I accidentally put "stage" in there. And yeah, you're right... it doesn't guarantee your death anymore :/... I guess that's reason enough?

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Yes, a lot of people still try to pursuit an opponent to try a Meteor Smash. But it's risky.

Unfortunately, you have to predict WHEN the opponent is going to recover, then knowing that you'll have to know WHERE he'll be recovering and then you have to make sure you're going to hit him. Because if he recovers and you miss him, bad things could happen.

Worst example: he grabs the ledge, you miss it, fast fall downwards, SD, opponent laughs in your face.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Real men always attempt to Dair spike Metaknight offstage when playing as falcon.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
What combos does falcon have on Wario after a grab-release? And when should each be used?
Also what moves go through bite?

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
grab release moves afaik (and what i use) all aerials and falcon dive :V

lordhelmet

Smash Master
What combos does falcon have on Wario after a grab-release? And when should each be used?
Also what moves go through bite?
The only thing you need to know about Wario:

Grab Release -> Up-B for damage racking
Grab Release -> Knee for KOing (around 90%)
Grab Release -> Fsmash for screw-up free KOing (around 120%)

Utilt and Up-B are your best options for beating Bite.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
The only thing you need to know about Wario:

Grab Release -> Up-B for damage racking
Grab Release -> Knee for KOing (around 90%)
Grab Release -> Fsmash for screw-up free KOing (around 120%)

Utilt and Up-B are your best options for beating Bite.
Thanks,

Does irregular terrain such as on lylat or YI(B) affect Grab Release > Knee at all? Or is that always guaranteed (assuming they don't land on a platform of course).
And is it ever possible to land Grab Release > Knee if they do land on a platform? Or are they always able to powershield?

Also, What's the best stage against him after FD?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
On Wario, it shouldn't affect it unless you're at the bottom of a really diagonal slant so that his feet are touching the ground. That rarely happens though.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I've never had it affect me to much on lylat. The platforms would be the only thing to get in the way, However on YI he releases above the platform most of the time so you can hit him. If they did land on the platform though they can power shield it.

As far as stages my personal preference would be smashville then frigate.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I tried to follow up a grab release on Wario yesterday. Man I suck at it... Really need to practice against CPUs :/ (Jumping CPU on training mode, hit him as fast as possible).

Also, one note: don't use Up+B if Wario has less than 20%. Unless you like being punished.
*waits for lordhelmet's post*

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I decided to play a bit of Smash tonight and started thinking. Maybe I should make a thread of overlooked **** that I don't see anyone using that could be seen as 'helpful'. Things that I haven't seen mentioned on the boards whatsoever even though it's so ridiculously obvious. lol

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Because after reading over some of these recent discovery threads, I've realized that a lot of Falcon players are over looking some of the basics. I'm not doing all the work though, it's going to be a thread for people to share bits and pieces of their playstyles for people to work off of. Primarily the overlooked things that they do on a regular basis. lol.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Not really. Q&A is ask questions, get answers (sometimes). This is going to be like... a thread for people to share overlooked tips and tricks that they use. So the basics aren't completely ignored.

You know, things that are suppose to be common knowledge. lol

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I'll probably learn something from that thread, Darky-Sama, hehe. Thanks for committing yourself to that.

Lionman there was a thread for that before, at least I remember reading something about that... Anyway, don't forget that a good MK will be insanely hard to beat. The only real way to beat a MK is to do things that he won't expect, to cause major damage.

Combos and follow-ups are HARD to execute on a good MK (he can escape almost always with that f****** upB). I think I saw something about grab releases and stuff, and grounded Falcon Kick beats Tornado. But other than that, can't remember anything else.

*waits for lordhelmet and Darky-Sama to post*

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
I think you can indeed grab n release him like Wario. Also try to space as best as possible. This is just me, but I find that if he tries to Gimp me I can sometimes D-air when while we're off stage.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I'm not convinced; sounds like the Q&AV2.0, basically. (As the posts will basically contain the same.)

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Say, I've got a question. You know how Nair is seemingly useless except against big characters, right? Well I went into brawl and tested out doing Nair immediately after shorthop and found that Falcon lands both kicks against a character that's standing and is at least Mario's height or taller. So, that's about 23-24 characters if you include Charizard, Sheik, and Zelda separately. Though the hitbox is small, Falcon's legs have quite a bit of reach. I don't get to fight many local smash players often, but I think Nair might have more potential than it seems to get credit for. My question is why don't we use/ try out Nair more often? (other than against little characters) I'd just like to hear others' opinions.

Jelley

Smash Cadet
You can land the second kick in nair on any character (includes Meta Knight, kirby, etc) by just fast falling when Captain Falcon does his first kick.

Top Bottom