• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Not to sound like a party pooper, but if you somehow are able to footstool Squirtle from GR he'd be too close to the ground for you to have the time to follow up.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
is there a guide for grab release info on MK somewhere around here?

Yung Mei

oh. because i was messing around and we might be able to Falcon dive MK fromm the grab release - i gotta mess with it some more though

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Captain Falcon is in danger once he goes after someone off the edge.
fixed.

No, but seriously, Falcon doesn't have all that many tools to keep a good player at bay off stage. If you're good at timing the dair, it isn't bad. Fastfalling off the ledge and using the knee isn't terrible either if you know the timing, but saying he's 'dangerous' might be pushing it a bit.

-Derezzed-

Smash Rookie
fixed.

No, but seriously, Falcon doesn't have all that many tools to keep a good player at bay off stage. If you're good at timing the dair, it isn't bad. Fastfalling off the ledge and using the knee isn't terrible either if you know the timing, but saying he's 'dangerous' might be pushing it a bit.
Actually it would be pushing it a lot. I think simply put, there are an abundance of characters that have better offstage options than we do, in terms of both recovering, and keeping people from recovering.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
The way I see it, Falcon simple has a decent variety of punishers on characters that are recovering (or trying to recover) above the stage. He can punish recoveries such as King Dedede's up+B with ease, but that's not saying too much. Luigi's down+B is pretty easy to punish if Luigi's using the tornado to get from below the stage to above it. Other than punishing cool down time from attacks such as those with a knee-- or preferably Uair to be safe and more exact-- Falcon doesn't have much.

Falcon definitely doesn't possess (m)any tools to make him better than other characters under the ledge. Drop down knee is the *only* real threat. It can either hit opponent (sweetspot KOs usually and flubbed allows an aerial follow-up), make them use their recovery or an attack that can mess up their recovery, or they can try to avoid it and possibly get edgehogged or up+B stage spiked by Falcon.

Those are just possibilities though. Most characters have options around him.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Falcon's best offstage option is ledgedrop aerials while still under ledge invincibility.
Quite hard to use but very rewarding, you can spike Peach's up B, Bair pretty much anyone's up B.

-Derezzed-

Smash Rookie
The way I see it, Falcon simple has a decent variety of punishers on characters that are recovering (or trying to recover) above the stage. He can punish recoveries such as King Dedede's up+B with ease, but that's not saying too much. Luigi's down+B is pretty easy to punish if Luigi's using the tornado to get from below the stage to above it. Other than punishing cool down time from attacks such as those with a knee-- or preferably Uair to be safe and more exact-- Falcon doesn't have much.

Falcon definitely doesn't possess (m)any tools to make him better than other characters under the ledge. Drop down knee is the *only* real threat. It can either hit opponent (sweetspot KOs usually and flubbed allows an aerial follow-up), make them use their recovery or an attack that can mess up their recovery, or they can try to avoid it and possibly get edgehogged or up+B stage spiked by Falcon.

Those are just possibilities though. Most characters have options around him.
I don't like using Falcon Dive when trying to take care of those above the stage. I simply find it too risky because, chances are, if you're recovering above the stage you'll be right above the edge in no time and still have quite a distance to fall. Those recovering above the stage can use their horizontal mobility to simply get out of Falcon Dive's hitbox. Then, the tables turn because you're falling, facing the wrong way like an idiot, and they have recovered and have proceeded to taunting in real life.

Below stage, I like Falcon Dive. Simply because in the process of attempting a stage spike with it, you are also getting your ledge back.

I suppose I'm very cautious, even pessimistic when it comes to Falcon and punishing recoveries. He surly doesn't have much at all.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
U-air and B-air. If you're on the ledge, you'll be facing the optimal way anyways.

I'm not saying use these in every situation. Just don't forget that they are there.

PZ

Smash Lord
Glitch in help system on training mode?

It says dthrow<buffered fh nair<buffered uair is a combo...tried on mk cuz at the time i was practicing the gr options.

Look for 4 consecutive hits...

Also darky nair< uair is a combo!:mad:

You just got to ff nair then buffer the dash uair which is hard.:urg:

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
When I'm on the ledge, and my opponent is where I could hit them from a wall jump > B-air, I don't do it.
I would rather just drop, jump and B-air. To me, it allows more aerial positioning than a simple wall jump, and on top of that it keeps me closer to the edge than my opposition. My opponents goal is to get me off the ledge; I'm not gonna drop and wall jump to a position that makes him closer to it than me.

I honestly don't find wall jumps useful unless I'm in that same position and I think I can nail a raptor boost spike. OR if I wall jump, I'm still closer to the ledge than he is. In that situation its Knee, D-air, U-air depending on what it is.

I don't think wall jumps help too much because they put you in that same spot almost every time and I really don't find myself needing to go there with a wall jump. Unless I want to turn around, which I usually don't cause I feel safer with B-air than Knee, I don't use wall jump that often.
But that's just me. Whether you do or not, Falcons edge game is gonna be just as crappy.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
EDIT: ^Lol nevermind, kid got banned.

Man, its been a while since I've sent someone crying away. I was hoping he'd stay around a bit longer, and would want to have a little fun lol

Yung Mei

****ing around with the falcon forums is like sticking your **** in a pencil sharpener

Psychoace

Smash Champion
When I'm on the ledge, and my opponent is where I could hit them from a wall jump > B-air, I don't do it.
I would rather just drop, jump and B-air. To me, it allows more aerial positioning than a simple wall jump, and on top of that it keeps me closer to the edge than my opposition. My opponents goal is to get me off the ledge; I'm not gonna drop and wall jump to a position that makes him closer to it than me.

I honestly don't find wall jumps useful unless I'm in that same position and I think I can nail a raptor boost spike. OR if I wall jump, I'm still closer to the ledge than he is. In that situation its Knee, D-air, U-air depending on what it is.

I don't think wall jumps help too much because they put you in that same spot almost every time and I really don't find myself needing to go there with a wall jump. Unless I want to turn around, which I usually don't cause I feel safer with B-air than Knee, I don't use wall jump that often.
But that's just me. Whether you do or not, Falcons edge game is gonna be just as crappy.

No doubt. ledge hop up air is superior in just about every way.

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
Guys i need help with the meta matchuppp
Tell me what legitimate opetions i haz gainst dat gasyyss fuhhh nado
You will honestly turn up shielding nado so lemme give you and everyone(without being cocky <_<) a very good advise on how to fight MK. Im not gonna hate on others info cause theyre right but its just simple facts actually you will probably
never punish nado straight on with an attack with falcon.

What im about to say is how you actually approach metaknight in a pretty safe way with some mindgaming involved: SHORT HOP FIRST HIT NAIR CANCEL MK, Nair cancel is a really good baiting-move and combostarter, trust me this move is soooo underated and will give you advantage over mk that WILL put him in a bad position.

Here is how it probably will turn out: When you see the minor chance of approching, run towards him maybe after some dashdances to mix it up and nair cancel him, now if you HIT your in a pretty much 50/50 advantage disadvantage moment which is VERY good, this is how you beat mk on the ground, beating him in the air is more know for all and another story..

Now after falcon hits with nair you will be able to land a jab but be smart, know that nair will bait out mk's nair dair and nado if you don predict, but predicting those after a jab or nair is EASY.

some things will go down here..

Nair>F-tilt

Nair(high%)> U-tilt

Nair>jab>grab>improvise.

Nair>full nair>improvise.

Nair>jab(mk will nair) jab him some more.

DO NOT be predictable with this, mk can easily up b or jump you with nair etc if you are.. if he knows this baiting him will become easier but approaching wont whitch is bad but that is how its played out between theese two.

Oh and Dair is really **** up close but it's risky,If you see/predict him dsmash spam you then go for it, even after shielding dsmash its an okay move. D-tilt is lol and can combo mk, useful sometimes :cool:

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
Ive been known that lol its just help is ******** weird although cpus buffer airdodges so no matter what depending on the knockback type the cpu will either dodge or beat you with an attack.[/QUOT

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
You will honestly turn up shielding nado so lemme give you and everyone(without being cocky <_<) a very good advise on how to fight MK.

Okay. Lets see.

Im not gonna hate on others info cause theyre right but its just simple facts actually you will probably
never punish nado straight on with an attack with falcon.

Spaced Dsmashes, Certain hitboxes of Falcon Kick, U-tilt. And they are possible, a falcon who knows this match up CAN do them. Assuming that you can't is gonna make you not try, and you wont reap the benefit of knocking MK out of his nado, something that can be critical because MK's nado a LOT.

What im about to say is how you actually approach metaknight in a pretty safe way

Sorry, but there really is no safe option that an MK won't read next and punish with practically anything in its moveset besides its taunts.

with some mindgaming involved: SHORT HOP FIRST HIT NAIR CANCEL MK,

As an approach, no. Read on to see why.

Nair cancel is a really good baiting-move and combostarter,

Yes it is.

trust me this move is soooo underated

I think our judgment of the move is about right. Remember when you said when we're right?

and will give you advantage over mk that WILL put him in a bad position.

No, it won't.

Here is how it probably will turn out: When you see the minor chance of approching, run towards him maybe after some dashdances

and trip and fricken die.

to mix it up and nair cancel him

Empty SH - Punished
N-air - Punished by practically everything MK has.

, now if you HIT your in a pretty much 50/50 advantage disadvantage moment which is VERY good,

50/50 is not good. its 50/50, i wouldn't be satisfied.

this is how you beat mk on the ground,

The only truly viable way to do so is by using Grab Release, because of the fact that when he is released, he can't do anything for a certain period of time. Thats a window to inflict damage with the very limited followups we have.

beating him in the air is more know for all and another story..

Beating him in the air is close to impossible. His air game is nothing short of brilliant. Lagless, powerful, and has great range and priority + everything autocancels. Going into this match, you shouldn't expect to beat him when he wants to take the fight to the air.

Now after falcon hits with nair you will be able to land a jab but be smart, know that nair will bait out mk's nair dair and nado if you don predict, but predicting those after a jab or nair is EASY.

MK won't let you near enough to pull this stunt more than maybe twice. Baiting out the above options is stupid cause he will **** you with his sword.

some things will go down here..

Nair>F-tilt

Then what?
Do it again? He isn't going to let you. The safest and most efficient way to beat him is discussed outside of the quote.

Nair(high%)> U-tilt

Nair>jab>grab>improvise.

Release.
Nair>full nair>improvise.

Nair>jab(mk will nair) jab him some more.

what if he D-airs? What if he F-airs? "Jab him some more" won't reach.

DO NOT be predictable with this

Smart.

, mk can easily up b or jump you with nair etc if you are.

Shuttle Loop is a viable answer for most things in this game.
You are underrating n-air and neglecting his other options. The ones with the range to make sure we don't touch him out of N-air.

. if he knows this baiting him will become easier but approaching wont whitch is bad but that is how its played out between theese two.

the bait wont work. The bait will get punished by MK's main arsenal.
Approaching him head on is not a good idea.

Oh and Dair is really **** up close but it's risky

This is Falcons worst match up.
Something that risks falcon getting ***** is not worth mentioning esspecially....

,If you see/predict him dsmash spam you then go for it,

is you're saying to do it to this. No smart MK would do Dsmash spam without thinking. No smart MK would Dsmash unless his opponent is an idiot who lets it work on him. Dsmash for MK is a punisher, and a combo finish, both of those situations, falcon doesn't have a chance to pull out ANYTHING. Being able to do the move doesn't make the person a good player, its how they use it, and if they use it right. It's easy to do so with MK, which is one of the reasons he is on a tier of his own.

even after shielding dsmash its an okay move.

Good luck.

D-tilt is lol and can combo mk, useful sometimes :cool:

Good luck doing that more than once dog.
Thanks for being elaborate.
The only reason I'm calling out your advise is because it seems very flawed.
In this MU, falcons best option is to play it SAFE and play defensive. Approaching, bringing the fight to him is not a good idea. You succeed by finding holes in his style and punishing them, something that we are good at on other characters and not that bad on him. Letting him do that to you is suicide.
It seems that you are either a bad falcon, or go against idiot Mk's.

Please don't answer a question asked like, 2 pages ago. if the discussion is back there, and not here, that means we're discussing/answering something else.
One thing I can definitly say is that your optimisim and confidence in Falcons abilities will put you in a bad postion in smash if you treat a match up like this by what you posted above and how you did so.
Responses in red.

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
The only reason I'm calling out your advise is because it seems very flawed.
In this MU, falcons best option is to play it SAFE and play defensive. Approaching, bringing the fight to him is not a good idea. You succeed by finding holes in his style and punishing them, something that we are good at on other characters and not that bad on him. Letting him do that to you is suicide.
It seems that you are either a bad falcon, or go against idiot Mk's.

Please don't answer a question asked like, 2 pages ago. if the discussion is back there, and not here, that means we're discussing/answering something else.
One thing I can definitly say is that your optimisim and confidence in Falcons abilities will put you in a bad postion in smash if you treat a match up like this by what you posted above and how you did so.
Responses in red.
I agree with Darx. We have to be patient as Falcon mains and especially in this matchup. We have to use pseudo approaches. Don't rush when fighting mk. And if mk dair camp one of our safest thing to do is to wait till he uses all jumps or duck and try to sheild and buffer and up air. But the up air is still not safe.

MK is one of our hardest matchup. There is no simple solution for this matchup. Nair will only work a few times and that will only deal some percentage or if you use it wisely it will equal to one of metaknight stocks.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Is it worth learning Falcon just because he's fun to play, I love Kneeing people and he's " manly? "
Yes.
If you find Falcon fun, then learn him cause even at a competitive level, many mains find him as a fun character to play.

But if you're playing to win, there are obviously better options out there. It's all about what you're looking for.

Yung Mei

i main falcon for every character save a few

the matchup i take the most seriously is dittos

EVERYONE SHOULD

Top Bottom