• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Hah. If you play similarily to Wario, you'll kick arse.
I honestly believe that Falcon has HUGE potential with this bait-and-punish strategy. He just needs someone to prove it. :V
Lack of priority is a huge obstacle to tackle. we also are close combat based. even so, running away is severely under used.

incorporated into falcons metagame by TKONTK and then reinvented by me, running away is just ****ing awesome.

Falcons got the second fastest running speed, and out runs quite a lot of characters by far, he also has a fk which is only good for escapes, and then raptor boosto which is awesome for re entry

So are you visiting Club Falcon?
Stay as long as you like, we have never really had a broomer here...

Welcome, we can initiate you if you want...

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Lack of priority is a huge obstacle to tackle. we also are close combat based. even so, running away is severely under used.
Eh, the lack of priority is overrated, really. Yes, I'm saying this weakness is overrated. There's quite a few characters that suffer from little priority and still fare well. I think it's more the fact he lacks priority and has pretty awkward and telegraphed hitboxes that are rather hard to hit with because they are either stupidly angled or tiny.

incorporated into falcons metagame by TKONTK and then reinvented by me, running away is just ****ing awesome.
Yes, it is. I'd love to see DMG play Falcon like he plays his Wario. That would be really awesome.

Falcons got the second fastest running speed, and out runs quite a lot of characters by far, he also has a fk which is only good for escapes, and then raptor boosto which is awesome for re entry
Don't underestimate Falcon Kick, it's actually pretty good for punishing whiffed aerials (by the way I Falcon Kicked at Meta Knight using UAir and it seemingly pierced through, tho I didn't test to prove that - you might want to check that out if you haven't already).

I also think Falcon Dive is a severely underrated move and should be incorporated more - frigging grabbing your enemy all over the place is awesome. Especially if you're able to gimp them with it, heh.

So are you visiting Club Falcon?
Stay as long as you like, we have never really had a broomer here...

Welcome, we can initiate you if you want...
Have been visiting these boards since they existed. I just hardly post, haha. Might be staying here more than for lurking, though, you guys aren't so low on the list, right in between Bowser and Fox, so yea. Might even join in on organizing the stuff you guys have here. :3

Acedude55

Smash Ace
So....

I had the intention of running out the timer on one of my bud's IC's. Familiar with L_Cancel? It was him

It was wifi. I played the second stock as well as I've ever played against an IC's. It was like going into auto wreck **** mode.

Anyway, should I embrace this newfound homo sexuality I've founded with falcon? lol

If anyone wants the replay I haz download link for et

Btw: Falcon v.s IC's shouldn't be anything worse than 60-40 IC's favor.

PS: Onishiba is right about falcon dive, It really is a good move imo. If used correctly, smartlike, or however you'd like to put it, it does work SON.

Nobody expects a hella random up-b to the face

N-air to falcon dive, btw.

PPS: I play hella gay with falcon. Air camp, FF u-air spam n ****. Hoppin all over the place with b-air, still air campin yo shiz

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Eh, the lack of priority is overrated, really. Yes, I'm saying this weakness is overrated. There's quite a few characters that suffer from little priority and still fare well. I think it's more the fact he lacks priority and has pretty awkward and telegraphed hitboxes that are rather hard to hit with because they are either stupidly angled or tiny.

Yes, it is. I'd love to see DMG play Falcon like he plays his Wario. That would be really awesome.

Don't underestimate Falcon Kick, it's actually pretty good for punishing whiffed aerials (by the way I Falcon Kicked at Meta Knight using UAir and it seemingly pierced through, tho I didn't test to prove that - you might want to check that out if you haven't already).

I also think Falcon Dive is a severely underrated move and should be incorporated more - frigging grabbing your enemy all over the place is awesome. Especially if you're able to gimp them with it, heh.

Have been visiting these boards since they existed. I just hardly post, haha. Might be staying here more than for lurking, though, you guys aren't so low on the list, right in between Bowser and Fox, so yea. Might even join in on organizing the stuff you guys have here. :3
Crappy priority and lack of range can make almost every attack a bad one. Falcons hurtbox and hitbox are ridiculously close and that makes most of his moves not disjointed at all...

Falcon Kick has horrible ending lag...but its priority in the beginning is pretty good. Towards the end however it becomes crappy...
I strongly believe that the best purpose of Falcon Kick is to simply run a way. Just falcon kick in the opposite direction and any projectile that my try to slow you down will be taken cared of with the kick...

Falcon dive is a bit underrated. I think people just don't use it because they don't exactly know where the funky hit box reaches out to, and think that they will miss. And if they do miss, then its heavy punishment. The fact that it has grab priority is awesome though...and its a killer.

I would love to see more people on the falcon boards. We're very relaxed and we party all the time. We do get **** done though. We're a bit isolated from the rest of the boards, kinda like livin on an island on which we party all day.
I might not post here as much since school started to pick up and i'm running under a tight schedule...that means we prolly will need someone to tkae my place or something...

Player-3

Smash Hero
i use up b alot its good but not as good as some people are saying it is

falcon kick sucks

use stutter step boosto boosto instead

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Falcon kiyck has its uses, mostly where raptor **** would fail : near the ledge and in the air.
-Near the ledge because you're not screwed if the opponent spot/airdodges,
-In the air because the stall-then-fall messes with the opponent's timing. And is fast.

Also I've found out that I love the dash dance grab lately.
A lot.
Falcon's dash dance is too good.
Jab>jab>DDgrab to avoid beeing jab'd back. Oh yeah.

Player-3

Smash Hero
no falcon kick is pretty bad

even if you hit your punished

if the spotdodge/ airdodge it then they get to edgeguard you

dont use either of the moves in that circumstance, use a shff nair > jab or something other than ****ing kick

Roager

Smash Ace
no falcon kick is pretty bad

even if you hit your punished

if the spotdodge/ airdodge it then they get to edgeguard you

dont use either of the moves in that circumstance, use a shff nair > jab or something other than ****ing kick
I've seen some uses for it, actually. Near the start of the hitbox, the knockback is decent, and the startup delay can mess with your opponents.

I don't much like the move, but it has its uses.

Player-3

Smash Hero
use it then

my honest opinion is that its a horrible move and shoud only be used when somones spamming a high priority attack that fk can beat

aka tornado

and my question still stands

why use the first hitbox of fk when you could jab jab grab throw and do more damage, and put the opponent in a disadvatageous position to yourself

Player-3

Smash Hero
facepalm

no hate i love you guys but every time i try to help you guys get ******** and say

"manliness is why"

think of a GOOD reason why

Roager

Smash Ace
ace whys it good
tell me
nao
It does fairly well, priority-wise, against projectiles, stall-n-fall has a mindgame application, and it can be used at ledge (Use it to fly out and hit them)

Not a great ledge move, mind you. But still.

Player-3

Smash Hero
it does that stuff

but falcon has stuff that does all that BETTER and with much less risk

except the priority part, which i already agreed with

Acedude55

Smash Ace
To answer you its a really good suprise move.

Like....let me explain a situation here.

Let's say you're up against a metaknight (gg falcon)

He d-throws you, you DI away from him when the move finishes. Lets say you airdodge while still in the air out of d-throw, buffer a falcon kick out of it and alot of the time no one expects it.

(I only used this as an example, not just only with mk. DI away to a quick falcon kick works alot of the time for me really. Just as a suprise move)

say the opponents in the air, with one Jump left. He'll do one or more of these things. (Attack while going down, Jump, and then attack while going down. Airdodge on the way down, jump and then airdodge on the way down. Or go and try to grab the ledge in any fashion whatsoever.)

Falcon kicks hitbox already punishes spotdodges fairly enough.

It has really good priority, therefore beating out most attacks.
I feel like im missing more, but I'll get to that later, idk.

Edit: Overall its just a fairly good suprise move.

Player-3

Smash Hero
yes yes yes, all that is true

but when you hit the guy

if hes not jigglypuff or above like.. 60% he can still punish you for hitting him

arial falcon kick however, is pretty okay

Acedude55

Smash Ace
Yeah pretty much. Thats the down part about it.

well I wouldn't go ahead and overate the damage % thing. 60 would be too much imo.

Best thing to do after a connecting falcon kick is obviously sheild...lol.

Up until now I haven't really payed attention to options after a falcon kick. Guess Idk...**** just happens lol

I should take a better look into it. But still trust me when I say FK is useful

Oh and lol aerial falcon kick is good. how many hits does it give if at a low %...like 2? 3?

Player-3

Smash Hero
2 if theyre on the ground, hit + shockwave

im not saying that you cant hit them with it and that thats the good part

im saying when you hit them they hit you back lol, and falcon kicks damage isnt too great

Acedude55

Smash Ace
Yeah

7% at lowest range

11% at medium range

13% at high range

That doesn't seem too bad lol.
Make use of falcon kick >_>;

Player-3

Smash Hero
it is when you take the same/more from getting punished for it
<_<

we srsly need to play offline but i have travel and parent johns ffffuuu i hate playing people on wifi to show them how much something sucks

Acedude55

Smash Ace
it is when you take the same/more from getting punished for it
<_<

we srsly need to play offline but i have travel and parent johns ffffuuu i hate playing people on wifi to show them how much something sucks
I was talking about normal falcon kick there if you didn't notice >_> my badz

and uhh, falcon kick can suck, but its not that sucky. you overate its...rate of suck...?wat

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I was talking about normal falcon kick there if you didn't notice >_> my badz

and uhh, falcon kick can suck, but its not that sucky. you overate its...rate of suck...?wat
It doesn't suck that much... it's application is good. I try hitting with the start of it, because that has the least chance of getting punished. I wouldn't recommend opening up a game with it, nor approaching with it, but be spontaneous in its uses. Falcon Kick has more potential than what little credit P-3 gives it. It's better than Raptor Boost, and out prioritizes Raptor Boost.

Acedude55

Smash Ace
It doesn't suck that much... it's application is good. I try hitting with the start of it, because that has the least chance of getting punished. I wouldn't recommend opening up a game with it, nor approaching with it, but be spontaneous in its uses. Falcon Kick has more potential than what little credit P-3 gives it. It's better than Raptor Boost, and out prioritizes Raptor Boost.
Thats what I meant when I said

falcon kick can suck, but its not that sucky. you overate its...rate of suck...?wat
It can be bad, but its useful in some situations for the most part.

As I said before, its a good suprise move. But guess you can't change peoples minds sometimes.

Player-3

Smash Hero
no.

why
would
you
hit
with
the
start
of
it

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
these ridiculous discussions once ripped the boards in half

fk suck going into the opponent
use it only in the air to **** up tornado
and use it only against a projectile user when you are running away. you shouldn't even hit with it if you use it properly, all you do is use its priority to avoid any projectile that might try and stop you or something

there is no reason to fk when you can jab or grab

rapto boosto >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fk

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
im saying

why fk

when you can jab > grab > pummel > throw
more damage, better position for you to be in
You are Falcon, there is no better position to be in, when you're constantly at a disadvantage in most to all of your fights.

these ridiculous discussions once ripped the boards in half

fk suck going into the opponent
use it only in the air to **** up tornado
and use it only against a projectile user when you are running away. you shouldn't even hit with it if you use it properly, all you do is use its priority to avoid any projectile that might try and stop you or something

there is no reason to fk when you can jab or grab

rapto boosto >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fk
I am so sick of this BS about how you can jab or grab instead of Falcon Kick. Those options get old, and you would get ***** after taking one stock from the opponent, if you manage, because that's all the figure you're going to use, since those are your "better" options.

Eff jab or grab. I'm going to Falcon Kick you in the nuts, and there's little to nothing you're going to do about it. My jab cancels into grabs will come as I go along, but I'm not relying on them for the entire match because you think that Falcon Kick isn't worth it. Every percent of damage counts toward something.

Do either of you use Falcon Kick toward higher percentages? Like 60%+?

If not, than you belittle Falcon Kick way too much.

And WTF? Raptor Boost > Falcon Kick? LMAO! Red8 Raptor Boosted like 10 times and I Falcon Kicked and won that little clash everytime. If anything, Falcon Kick > Raptor Boost.

Player-3

Smash Hero
You are Falcon, there is no better position to be in, when you're constantly at a disadvantage in most to all of your fights.

I am so sick of this BS about how you can jab or grab instead of Falcon Kick. Those options get old, and you would get ***** after taking one stock from the opponent, if you manage, because that's all the figure you're going to use, since those are your "better" options.

Eff jab or grab. I'm going to Falcon Kick you in the nuts, and there's little to nothing you're going to do about it. My jab cancels into grabs will come as I go along, but I'm not relying on them for the entire match because you think that Falcon Kick isn't worth it. Every percent of damage counts toward something.

Do either of you use Falcon Kick toward higher percentages? Like 60%+?

If not, than you belittle Falcon Kick way too much.
okay

jab and grab gets old

you could

sh ac dair, shff nair, dtilt, sh behind and bair, empty sh to jab, etc

fk is not that good at all sorry bro

and no i never use fk

are you saying fK > rb priority wise? yes

as a move wise? hell no

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
okay

jab and grab gets old

you could

sh ac dair, shff nair, dtilt, sh behind and bair, empty sh to jab, etc

fk is not that good at all sorry bro

and no i never use fk

are you saying fK > rb priority wise? yes

as a move wise? hell no
I'm sorry, I just can't agree with you. If I go to college, we need to meet up at a local tourney for the south, and we'll play locally, and I'll show you how it's done.

I refuse to accept anything about how Falcon Kick is the last resort/never used option. Red8 said it. My sig is proof. Falcon Kick is good.

Move wise it's better too, because if you if connect with a shield doing a Raptor Boost, you're stuck with lag, in front of your opponent, and with no means of escape. If you miss, you fall with tons of lag.

Falcon Kick, you will end up behind your opponent, some distance away, lag tough to punish due to distance, and you have a means of escape, and it can be canceled on edge.

I think the winning move is clear.

Player-3

Smash Hero
I'm sorry, I just can't agree with you. If I go to college, we need to meet up at a local tourney for the south, and we'll play locally, and I'll show you how it's done.

I refuse to accept anything about how Falcon Kick is the last resort/never used option. Red8 said it. My sig is proof. Falcon Kick is good.

Move wise it's better too, because if you if connect with a shield doing a Raptor Boost, you're stuck with lag, in front of your opponent, and with no means of escape. If you miss, you fall with tons of lag.

Falcon Kick, you will end up behind your opponent, some distance away, lag tough to punish due to distance, and you have a means of escape, and it can be canceled on edge.

I think the winning move is clear.
raptor boost has really good shield slide, noone can shield grab it except for like.. dedede

most chars will try to dash grab, and you can jab them out of it

fk when you hit a shield theres enough time for them to walk over and fsmash you

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
raptor boost has really good shield slide, noone can shield grab it except for like.. dedede

most chars will try to dash grab, and you can jab them out of it

fk when you hit a shield theres enough time for them to walk over and fsmash you
Raptor Boost is fairly easy to power shield, and then bam, you get grabbed, and why would is that you always say "grab" or "jab" as a retaliatory option for almost everything? I'm pretty sure the slide isn't far enough for an OoS not to hit and punish more effectively than a grab.

Falcon kick is falcons worst approach due to its ending lag. In theory it would be useful if you could consistently edge cancel it, but you cant, as the opponents positioning has effect on the outcome, as in, the place where the kick ends.

And as you do not have control over your opponents character you cant.

Falcon kick is horrible, and you should only use it in laggy wifi matches, where punishing it is hard. (Yes, that laggy.).

Falcon kick is horrible. Don't use it.

For the Raptor boost vs falcon kick debate:

100 points divided betweem both the falcon kick and the raptor boost =

raptor boost: 100
Falcon kick: 0.

Acedude55

Smash Ace
Then again.

FK is a good out of the blue move.

It really isn't ever expected. You guys are only thinking about the down side of it. Sure they can just block it, and then grab, or tilt after. But that doesn't happen if its used at a good time, where you KNOW they don't expect it.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Then again.

FK is a good out of the blue move.

It really isn't ever expected. You guys are only thinking about the down side of it. Sure they can just block it, and then grab, or tilt after. But that doesn't happen if its used at a good time, where you KNOW they don't expect it.
yeah but offline even if they dont expect it they can usually still punish it
<________<

Top Bottom