• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bubbleshield: *New and Improved!*

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Most smashers LOVE the bubbleshield from SSB64 and SSBM. Different coloured bubbles, 360 degrees of protection, and you can grab from inside it. What's not to love?

From what we've seen on The DOJO! , the bubble shield is either more transparent and colourless than in Melee, or it's not there at all. If the colourful bubble shields were to return, here is my idea for an improvement:

Being able to use the Bubble Shield in MID AIR. Yes, in the air. It would look odd being surrounded in a colourful bubble randomly in mid air...but it also looks awkward on the ground, we've just gotten used to it.

So what do you think? Comments? Improvements? Agree? Disagree? Flame? =]

-And no, I didn't mispell "colour" , I'm Canadian.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I still like the airdodge. What they could do is assign different buttons to airdodge or to shield. Like, l for midair shield, r for airdodge. Now, in order to make this balanced, they'd have to increase the lag of shield release for midair shielding, so you can't just easily block edgeguard attempts without putting yourself at risk of suiciding for it.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I still like the airdodge. What they could do is assign different buttons to airdodge or to shield. Like, l for midair shield, r for airdodge. Now, in order to make this balanced, they'd have to increase the lag of shield release for midair shielding, so you can't just easily block edgeguard attempts without putting yourself at risk of suiciding for it.
See, but we have a Ground Dodge AND a Ground Bubble Shield. How about we even thinks out by keeping the Air Dodge and adding an Air Shield?

Pima

Smash Journeyman
That could be a possibilty... If I remember correctly Mista Sakurai once said he would improve air combat didn't he?

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I don't think the Bubbleshields are being used in the updates; is that they tend to obscure the character a bit. I mean do you realy want to see a picture of a newcomer with pictures of the shield in the way?

I really think the bubbleshields will be in the game

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
That could be a possibilty... If I remember correctly Mista Sakurai once said he would improve air combat didn't he?
Indeed he did. But this could improve air combat in some ways, and also ruin it.
But Marth and Roy not only had an Air Dodge, they had a counter move that they could use in the air, which I thought was a major advantage.

AIRIAL BUBBLE SHIELD FOR BRAWL!

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
This could be a good thing for smash bros, but I think that it would drastically shift the focus of combat. It would become a lot harder for aerial combatants to fight. I wouldn't have a problem with that if ground combat was better, but so far ground combat focuses on shielding attacks and retaliating with aerials. To improve ground combat I suggest that characters have some kind of defense breaking move. The point is that if the air shield is to work we have to balance it by weakening our current defenses (which are really hard to get by as it is).

They did this kind of thing in the Narutimate Hero Series (Naruto Ultimate Ninja) and it worked very well, but only because the game was already more focused on ground combat.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I still have not seen one picture of a bubble shield of any kind. I am very doubtful of anyone who mentions the confirmation of bubbleshields without picture evidence.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well I really don't care to much for the shield, id rather see it as an item instead like Sonic's shield

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Sounds alright.

But if theres no airdodge, theres no wavedash, yes?

Correct, unless they aknowledge wavedash, and make it a really different thing.

Good Idea, i always thought about this.

But, I think that they should be the same shield, if you are getting attacked, you should not be able to jump out of your almost shattered ground shield and be able to shield again quickly in the air.

And about it making edgeguarding harder...

You slide when you are on the ground and something hits your shield, there is less traction in the air, so you would slide farther.

They won't do damage, but they can keep you off and kill you.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
i think the only thing that has improved the air combat is the FootStool Jump, because the air combat is already great, whut more could they add? peach levitation for every character????

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
i think the only thing that has improved the air combat is the FootStool Jump, because the air combat is already great, whut more could they add? peach levitation for every character????
True, the shielding could get abused easily in the air.

What if it disolved faster in the air then it does on the ground? I mean like, double time.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
if the peach levitates directly over me, i'd look straight up. XD
air combats pretty good as it is. if they keep all the advanced techs in, i think.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I don't really like the idea. Edge guarding will be ruined, so will the air combat.

And I'm trying to get sigged,

I do not have A.D.- Hey a cookie!
You're trying to hard. Also, you're actually TRYING. You don't TRY to get sigged, it happens.

-Also, I think my thread here has been discussed to the bone. Not much more to talk about.

psicicle

Smash Ace
well you could make it so that you become immobile like the shine but... no I don't like it because you will be forced to implement air grabs... and that seems too complicated for me.

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
shielding in air would be totally unfair. I think the bubble shield will return but I don't think it will change incredibly.

Eggm

Smash Hero
If you could bubble shield in the air it should go away twice as fast as the ground shield and have twice as much shield stun as you get from attacks then it'd be ok, also it'd have to be a different button from air dodging cause i like air dodging.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I don't recommend it unless you want to get rid of air-dodging or just add yet another command that makes air-dodging clunky than simply pressing the L or R button.

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
if you watch the videos, you can see that a few of the characters do something that looks like a roll.

Check out one of the trailers at: http://youtube.com/watch?v=HRw-We5A5ig

At 00:57 you can see Meta-Knight do something that definitely looks something like a roll. Also at 01:13 you can see Pitt do something similar. Finally, Snake appears to do one as well at 01:40. If you notice, not one of the characters bubble shields pop up (which usually happens a split-second before you roll). So either the bubble shields are gone, or you don't have to use them to roll anymore.

I'm concluding (tentatively) that the bubble shield has been taken out of brawl; which isn't that big a deal. I trust Sakurai's judgment.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
if you watch the videos, you can see that a few of the characters do something that looks like a roll.

At 00:57 you can see Meta-Knight do something that definitely looks something like a roll. Also at 01:13 you can see Pitt do something similar. Finally, Snake appears to do one as well at 01:40. If you notice, not one of the characters bubble shields pop up (which usually happens a split-second before you roll). So either the bubble shields are gone, or you don't have to use them to roll anymore.

I'm concluding (tentatively) that the bubble shield has been taken out of brawl; which isn't that big a deal. I trust Sakurai's judgment.
Dude, I've proven time and time again that same conclusion you have is dead wrong. Look at this: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=103927&page=5

AJiggaG

Smash Apprentice
what if when you shield in the air and get hit there is knockback and put you in a tumbling animation(kinda like when you are shielding add get knocked of a platform)? Edge guarding wouldn't be ruined and it would add an interesting balance

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
If this idea IS in the game, and there's a pretty good chance there won't be, I'm sure Sakurai would balance it out.
Maybe the Shield would shrink twice as fast, break more easily, or if you're hit while shielding you'll still go as far as you'd go without shielding but you still take damage.

Yes? No?

Snakey

Smash Cadet
This is like your other air-grab idea.. i just won't work. Having sheild in the air would have no counter-attack since air-grab just wouldn't work.

Yay for the 'u' in colour!

dizzy

Smash Journeyman

The shield doesn't pop up if you input the left/right direction fast enough after you press L/R. Or try this: hold the c-stick left or right, and then press L/R. The fact that the shield doesn't appear before rolling in the Brawl trailers doesn't mean that the shield is gone, because it doesn't appear in SSBM either if you do it fast enough.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Im still of the opinion that Sakurai just disabled the bubble shields for the trailers. It just makes the action look better without them popping up out of nowhere and obscuring the character for a split second. More professional-like, ya know?

It seriously would have looked sloppy if you saw a bright red bubble surround Snake right before he rolled aroundPit...

Chaos Paladin

Smash Journeyman
i dont think u should use bubble shield in midair, then juggling will be so much harder. and a good replacement for those shields would be related to the charecters. Like how yoshi has the egg as a shield. Each charecters shield should be unique, that would be much cooler imo.

psicicle

Smash Ace
Well if it is implemented I expect you will not be able to shield while in the tumble animation.

Either way, shields in midair= too much change for me

Top Bottom