• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Bowser Questions and Advice Thread

MechaBoozer20XX

Smash Journeyman
i'd rather play germs link than pc's fox if i was wanting to win thats for sure

i guess i'd rather play an "at the peak level of the metagame" link than fox, just because of how good fox is

if it was like a washignton fox or an anyone else fox, i'd probably take the anyone else fox just fyi

washignton is too good T-T
Gimpy didnt forget his roots.

ohpistachios

Smash Apprentice
Ledge-tech-jump then immediate air-dodge.

I've thought about this for a while, but I've never actually been able to pull it off - has anyone done that successfully to recover?

Beyond airdodging, is there any feasible way of recovering after a ledge tech? (Do you just normal ledge-tech then up-b immediately?)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
i'd rather play germs link than pc's fox if i was wanting to win thats for sure

i guess i'd rather play an "at the peak level of the metagame" link than fox, just because of how good fox is

if it was like a washignton fox or an anyone else fox, i'd probably take the anyone else fox just fyi

washignton is too good T-T
I agree with your analysis here but i figure i'd add if your facing a Peak level Fox and a Peak level Link

You're in trouble either way.

D

Deleted member

Fun Fact: Bowser in doubles on Yoshi's Story is ubr l33t. I thought Boozer in doubles would be terrible (which in general is true), but i actualyl did pretty good on YS, especially cuz i could hit both of them with my getup attack, while my partner, who knew what i would do, would get out of the way. Fortress cancelling+teams= too good. Do u guys use boozer in teams?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Am I on the Kirby boards and didn't realize it?

The Down-Throw always gives you enough time to do something. It's not really combo material, but it's basically always a setup...
Down throw a luigi. You could be facing a pretty crappy luigi and they'll most likely nair you. The down throw is excellent on characters like sheik, falco, fox, and c falc because they don't have an opportunity to just aerial in response to the throw. I'm not saying you can't really quickly take advantage of someone that isn't playing at the peak of metagame and doesn't really look to exchange blows everytime they take damage, but odds are a floaty will at the very least nair since typically they're pretty quick and have decent priority.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
I agree with your analysis here but i figure i'd add if your facing a Peak level Fox and a Peak level Link

You're in trouble either way.
i am?

the link probably wouldn't worry me too badly, i'd at least feel like i could win if i played correctly. obviously if i was playing pc chris or something i wouldn't expect to win, but you should never ever go into any match expecting to lose or thinking you cant win

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Interesting. KevinM, how did you do against PC's fox with your bowser when you played him. ;) Now how do you do against Skler's link?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Um last time I played PC's fox in a set he won, but i did ok on FD and YS

and I played Skler a long time ago and he ***** me... we haven'y played our mains against each other like EVER we always Roy Ditto =(

anotherdeadcow

Smash Apprentice
im sorry if this is a stupid question, but i almost never get out a shield grab with bowser. does the upb out of shied just completely replace it, or does it still have any uses?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
im sorry if this is a stupid question, but i almost never get out a shield grab with bowser. does the upb out of shied just completely replace it, or does it still have any uses?
If you think that a grab could accomplish more, -and- you think that the grab would come out fast enough, then it would make sense to do so, but a combination of the two is hard to come by.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
The dash grab has pretty decent range, and the up-b has excellent speed so i rarely sheild grab since the fortress will come out faster even, you don't run the risk of, for instance, a shffl'd aerial to a jab or something, that would break your grab, while the up-b out of sheild is faster, it will most likely hit before the jab or other attack, or they will cancel each other. While it is situational, i probably fortress more than i sheild grab.

Vader Rue

Smash Apprentice
i am?

the link probably wouldn't worry me too badly, i'd at least feel like i could win if i played correctly. obviously if i was playing pc chris or something i wouldn't expect to win, but you should never ever go into any match expecting to lose or thinking you cant win
I think thats my first problem when i play. >..>''
I never expect to win.
I don't have the mind set to win but for some reason still determined to progress with bowser.

*sorts out the words for his question so it doesn't sound stupid*

Vader Rue

Smash Apprentice
How would you best practice if you didn't always have a human player to play against?
Best sandbag? Practicing methods? What you focus on when practicing?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
lol, practice spacing, and practice upBing to ledgehog. I'd say practice against lvl one comps

getting shffls down is also wicked key.

Then just stand in front of a mirror and practice evil laughing and "what, in your face!!!!" expressions.

You'll be pro in no time

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^the few technical things booser can do are practicable alone. namely upB to ledgegrab. and l-canceling, past that all there are are "mindgames" or whatever you want to call thinking while playing

But yeah--you get experience from fighting.

Vader Rue

Smash Apprentice
I get to play people but very little, But i have alot of time to myself so i was just wondering if there was some practicing that other bowser players did.

I know that playing actual people is much better.

legendofme

Smash Journeyman
Since I did not want to make a thread and upset zee mods. I have a request to ask from anyone that has mastered or is very good @ doing these consistently to make a vid doing it with Bowser so I can see the limitations to it. I want to add more flavor to my game.

1-Stickywalking-This is a very throwed tactic. So I want to see how it benefits Bowser. Also I wanted to see if I could possibly FwdB or UpB while stickywalking.
2-Moonwalking-I went to the moonwalking thread, and it said that Bowser can do it. I want to see if I can edgeguard better doing this.

Thanks ya kindly if you have the time.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
LegendofMe, i can do them, but its not worth making a video, let me answer your question

Stickywalking isn't good for Bowser
Moonwalking is barely noticeable

Neither one will benefit you at all ^_^ basically

legendofme

Smash Journeyman
-_- Crud. ok...last question and I'm through with it. Why is that? Is he to heavy for him to pull it off, or is it just not worth the effort?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I know this is probably throughout the thread, but I'm going to ask and assert my clout *flexes e-muscle*:

What is a good compilation of character specific bowser techniques and tricks?

For example, stuff like:
claw from ledge, bowser bomb recovery, fortressing to edge and using get up attacks, and etc.

I know a few of these things just from watching Gimpy's vids, but the more in depth ones I'm not aware of. I recently picked Bowser up the other day and things clicked, so I'd like to show him off at a smashfest or something and I want to get up to speed.

That said:
OMFG it's sooooo much fun playing as Bowser. To be honest I was somewhat bored of the game, but playing with Bowser is so refreshingly awesome, and I ****ing love the claw and mindgaming fsmashes. ****ing A it feels too good!

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Bowser doesn't really have combos... just uninterrupted hits caused by making the opponent do something stupid/good spacing as you said.

I suppose he has a few on some characters that have more hitstun and/or fast-fallers but they're in general short and usually rely on the opponent reacting poorly.

Any better bowsers, feel free to correct me.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
are there any good combos for bowser or is just good spacing?
that just undermines everything i've ever believe in about smash. don't think about the game as there being a certain thing you have to to like a certain combination of attacks that will assure you victory, and good spacing is coupled with several other factors, and should be something that is always practiced with every character. There are no characters whose strategies are "i'm going to use really poor spacing to dominate this guy". you won't be good until you play naturally and stop looknig for things.

No way is way.

I know this is probably throughout the thread, but I'm going to ask and assert my clout *flexes e-muscle*:

What is a good compilation of character specific bowser techniques and tricks?

For example, stuff like:
claw from ledge, bowser bomb recovery, fortressing to edge and using get up attacks, and etc.

I know a few of these things just from watching Gimpy's vids, but the more in depth ones I'm not aware of. I recently picked Bowser up the other day and things clicked, so I'd like to show him off at a smashfest or something and I want to get up to speed.

That said:
OMFG it's sooooo much fun playing as Bowser. To be honest I was somewhat bored of the game, but playing with Bowser is so refreshingly awesome, and I ****ing love the claw and mindgaming fsmashes. ****ing A it feels too good!

I think what you mean is clsoer to what the other guy meant. I totally agree with you, I was close to losing interest in competitive melee, and was going to stop hosting my tournaments, but i picked up bowser because i was bored, and it was just so fun to play as him. easily the most fun to play as bowser as ive had in melee.

Like Gimpy has asserted in many cursory replies in here like "mindgames better" and "don't get hit" , not becomnig formulaic or predictable are very important. Doing the same thing in a given situation with a top tier character will harm your gameplay, but is easier to punish with a character with as many weaknesses as bowser. bowser bombing to recovery is something i rarely use to actually recover, but it's fun to ledge hop and bowserbomb onto the ledge post-kill. of course it has utility in some cases but i rarely use it.

The fortress has amazing startup speed, and because of this, alot of the time when i shffl aerials, first thing i'll do after the l cancel is fortress, which will either come out befor a retaliation, or cancel a move that actually gets off. it's useful against sheild grabbers but needless to say, don't do it every time.

next, the klaw is awesome. ledge hopping a klaw onto the stage is nice, but it really is only effective if you do it immediately after grabbing the edge so you don't get interrupted on the way up. back throw is almost always the throw of choice with the klaw. bowser has a good range on his dash grab, and has some tech chaseable throws like down and up. up is nice under a low platform since usually you can get an fair or something onto them while they are recovering(best against fast fallers).

bowser has good edgeguarding techniques in my oppinion. angling an ftilt downwards in the right spot will allow you to abuse the hitbox but be save from most up-b moves. dtilt is okay too. you'll probably most often see in gimpy vids the back air onto the very edge, as the hitbox is large, has great priority during the intitial frames of the move, and will hit above and a bit below the ledge when you shffl it onto the VERY edge of it.

Fair has an amazing hitbox, backair has a sweet semi spiking knockback, up air is wicked strong and nair is situational.

level wise, you never want to go to FD against anyone. the best is probably yoshis story or any other level with platforms. remember, levels like yoshis story have slanted edges which you can instantly cancel a fortress one, even if you aren't facing the edge, as long as you are midfortress, and not in the frames post Up-B. pressing jump while on the ledge under 100% damage will put you right on the platform on yoshis story, and if you press down c stick you can get a really quick down smash which, as seen in some of the gimpy vids can be pretty useful since all the opponent has to do is touch one of the hitboxes in order to get sucked into the attack.

You can't go wrong by watching the north hollywood vid's or any others gimpy has up including the boozer cute vid.

Incomplete, but thats the best i have for you right now mookierah

RexMaster

Smash Cadet
Mostly at UofManitoba, Winnipeg, in the smelly UMa
I recently watched a Gimpyfish vs. Eggz(marth) match, and have an edgeguarding question. I notice that gimpy often uses the Dair onstage or ledgehopped to try to half marth's UpB or ledgehopped Nair/Fairs. I'm wondering what other characters this might happen to be effective on, or if it actually is of any use at all (I've only seen it in the one video; others would be greatly appreciated).
I... suppose this is in comparison to a Bair? or something

Either way, I think the Bowser boards would enjoy this song, if they haven't already seen it off of VGcats: http://www.thefump.com/fump.php?id=149
enjoy being annoyed.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
KingJiggyWiggy, do note the second section of my post.

"I suppose he has a few on some characters that have more hitstun and/or fast-fallers but they're in general short and usually rely on the opponent reacting poorly."

So yeah, he does have some comboing ability on himself, ganon, dk, spacies, captain falcon, and the like; but he isn't really a combo-centric character... and some things others might consider combos I just think of as the opponent having poor reactions to the situation, since they could be escaped otherwise.

I do admit though, my answer was a bit naive.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I recently watched a Gimpyfish vs. Eggz(marth) match, and have an edgeguarding question. I notice that gimpy often uses the Dair onstage or ledgehopped to try to half marth's UpB or ledgehopped Nair/Fairs. I'm wondering what other characters this might happen to be effective on, or if it actually is of any use at all (I've only seen it in the one video; others would be greatly appreciated).
I... suppose this is in comparison to a Bair? or something

Either way, I think the Bowser boards would enjoy this song, if they haven't already seen it off of VGcats: http://www.thefump.com/fump.php?id=149
enjoy being annoyed.
I'm not sure what exactly your talking about, since I'm just on to check the update and my pm's, but I'm assuming you mean ledge hopping a down air onto the stage as a marth tries to sweetspot.

The d air has a weird little spike frame furing it that's kind of disjointed, at least it has a deceptively lnog reach, enough at leas to not get poked by the up-b, but the spike frame sends marth at a hopeless angle.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Spike is semantic, I'll call it a knockback that sends you below the X-axis, or semi-spike like the trajectory of the bair. There is such a hitbox is the d air though.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
hahaha i was just experimenting, dont dair a lot vs anyone, it has its place vs marth SOMETIMES, but dont do it even a quarter as much as i was in those matches lol

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I don't typically use it much. If you l cancel it i believe you lose the shockwave after, and you get hit and if you don't, typically you'll still get hit. The other 4 aerials are all much more useful.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
hahaha i was just experimenting, dont dair a lot vs anyone, it has its place vs marth SOMETIMES, but dont do it even a quarter as much as i was in those matches lol
You should barely use it at all <_<

B-air is a lot more effective if the Marth can't sweetspot or you have better timing and even then if he techs its tough to deal with.

Top Bottom