• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Bowser Questions and Advice Thread

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
As we wait to brawl, I'm still on melee practicing my Bowser. I can't show a video cause i dont know how to make them, nor do i have them. But here's the question:
As Bowser, how do you stop a Cowardly Laser-spammin' fox? Once I get close he grabs, throws down, then Up+A Smashes. Everytime he gets me in the air, he aerial Up smashes me. How do you get rid of such a noobish Fox? I fear that this will happen is Brawl as well :(

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
As we wait to brawl, I'm still on melee practicing my Bowser. I can't show a video cause i dont know how to make them, nor do i have them. But here's the question:
As Bowser, how do you stop a Cowardly Laser-spammin' fox? Once I get close he grabs, throws down, then Up+A Smashes. Everytime he gets me in the air, he aerial Up smashes me. How do you get rid of such a noobish Fox? I fear that this will happen is Brawl as well :(
Aerial Up smashes huh... thats pretty pro...

and he down-throw upsmashes you?

...*bites cheeks*

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Don't not respond to his attacks.
It'll keep you from getting aerial upsmashed and will prevent you from being ground upsmashed from the down throw. Roll away, DI, or tech, just don't keep not doing anything and you'll soon not keep getting aerial upsmashed.

Try that one on for size XD

Shök

Smash Champion
What's the best way to Fortress the edge when facing away from it?

Shök

Smash Champion
Oh ok, well thank's for the video. It helps out. Yeah but sometimes I facing the edge, Fortress and I fall off. Is it me moving the Fortress to fast for it to hold on to the edge?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
it depends,it's really something thats better for you to get a feel for than to know about.
just go into practice mode and try doing it where you roll backwars so you're as snug to the edge as you can get, so its easy, and then try working on the different distances and whatnot.

WolfzGunz

Smash Rookie
I was about to post a thread but nevermind now.

I want to know any good tricks for Bowser, since I recently tried him and fell in love with his turtle speed and l33t edgeguarding. But meh. I suck wavedashing with Bowser and I need a lil help with edgeguarding. Any tips?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I'd work on wavelands rather than wavedashes and you should edgeguard with ledgehop bairs/Klaws, fairs or ftilts.

Xona

Smash Apprentice
Which Banned Stage is best for Bowser? I'm working on starting a banned stages tournament and I do like to use Bowser, Zelda, Mewtwo, and Marth. I'm guessing Icicle Mountain due to the close sides and low ceiling, but it could be Big Blue due to the track giving him some speed or Brinstar Depths due to close sides and low ceiling. But I'm not sure.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Which Banned Stage is best for Bowser? I'm working on starting a banned stages tournament and I do like to use Bowser, Zelda, Mewtwo, and Marth. I'm guessing Icicle Mountain due to the close sides and low ceiling, but it could be Big Blue due to the track giving him some speed or Brinstar Depths due to close sides and low ceiling. But I'm not sure.
I'd say very few of them are any good for Bowser lol.
I like Peach's Castle though.
But in all reality most of the levels are banned because of Fox whether it be for potential stalling, or for infinite shines so Bowser is pretty much as solid as he is gonna get on the neutrals lol.

And good question nathan!

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
i have bin messing with bowser on half damage and handicap and you can chain throw people with forward b if they don,t know you are going to chain them and i was worndering if bowser has undiscovered combos or any chacter for half damage

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
i have bin messing with bowser on half damage and handicap and you can chain throw people with forward b if they don,t know you are going to chain them and i was worndering if bowser has undiscovered combos or any chacter for half damage
If they're undiscovered comboes, how could be tell you if they're there or not?

Everyone does, basically. Turning up the handicap makes the game that much more offense-oriented, and everyone has little things that they can use to combo exceptionally well that way.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
How do you fortresshog when your facing towards the edge?
The easiest way is to use an edge that has a lip that points downward, like Yoshi's Story. Then, you just go off of it while it's still going.

On a regular edge, you just slow your momentum right before you fall off, so that you're almost falling straight down when you go off of it. Once again, make sure that the move is still going when you pass the ledge, because you won't grab it otherwise.

Realistically, if you're close enough for that and it isn't Yoshi's Story, just roll towards the ledge. It's not much slower, and it's guaranteed.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
How do you fortresshog when your facing towards the edge?
The easiest way is to use an edge that has a lip that points downward, like Yoshi's Story. Then, you just go off of it while it's still going.

On a regular edge, you just slow your momentum right before you fall off, so that you're almost falling straight down when you go off of it. Once again, make sure that the move is still going when you pass the ledge, because you won't grab it otherwise.

Realistically, if you're close enough for that and it isn't Yoshi's Story, just roll towards the ledge. It's not much slower, and it's guaranteed.

EDIT: ...

My internet just decided to take a serious turn for the stupid.

My sincerest apologies.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56

EDIT: ...

My internet just decided to take a serious turn for the stupid.

My sincerest apologies.
Thanks. Is there a easy way to turn around in/before the fortress animation?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Thanks. Is there a easy way to turn around in/before the fortress animation?
The easiest way to manage a Fortresshog is simply to do a rolling dodge towards the edge (so that you're as close to the edge as possible). That way, you can do a Fortress, immediately hold the direction towards the edge, and instantly grab it. That's always how I do it on not-Yoshi's Story.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
it says there's a page 42, but I can't get there >_> weird <_<

edit now it says there's a page 43 >_>

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Can you give me specifics? What specifically has been shutting you down?

Specifics will help give you better advice apart from standard stage counterpicking and spacing and whatnot.

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
A CC happy Doc that doesn't necessarily spam his pills as much as he should, but he wrecks me with F-air and N-air. I have a hard time approaching because once he realizes my lumbering Bowser is actually trying to hit him he pills.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I like to play pressure in that situation. You shouldn't necessarily have any trouble with CCing because of the knockback of most of Bowser's moves. High pressure is going to keep you away from the Fair but you will always be susceptible to the Nair and Bair.

Essentially, Doc is a character you need to get off the ledge, and quick. You don't want him to set in to an area he can defend well and stymie your approach, and you want to get him airborne so you can gimp him. His recovery is fairly crappy and once he is off the stage at around 50-60 you shouldn't have much trouble keeping him off. Use the range of the Bair and Dtitlt to out reach him and keep him away from the edge. If you have decent Bowser "tech skill" then you should be able to fortresshog the hell out of him. Ledgehopped Bairs will help too.

For approach, I recommend you make the easier by counterpicking to a favorable stage, somewhere small, with platforms for Doc to get stuck on. Brinstar is one of my favorite counterpicks with Bowser, but there is no doubt Fountain of Dreams will help you, as well as the no-brainer best stage for Bowser, Yoshis Story. Just keep in mind that Bowsers dashgrab has enormous range and can be abused if you are CAREFUL. Once you get in close you can grab, shffl fairs,nairs, and bairs, and even jab->ftilt him. Point is, get him in the air above you, or off the stage. If he is off the stage, do what I said earlier. If he is above you, fair bair or Uair. platforms are nice because you have a chance to get an Uair off while he's stuck above you.

If you have any more questions, jsut post. Hope I can help.

Xona

Smash Apprentice
I'd say very few of them are any good for Bowser lol.
I like Peach's Castle though.
But in all reality most of the levels are banned because of Fox whether it be for potential stalling, or for infinite shines so Bowser is pretty much as solid as he is gonna get on the neutrals lol.

And good question nathan!
Actually, Big Blue, Icicle Mountain, and Brinstar depths were banned because they A: give games awy by luck (even though they don't), and B: because they "distract from gameplay" (sounds like a john...) Brinstar Depths also happens to be Purin's best stage, so it's not good for Bowser. I'm not competing in my tourney, because I'm going to have to ref.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Actually, Big Blue, Icicle Mountain, and Brinstar depths were banned because they A: give games awy by luck (even though they don't), and B: because they "distract from gameplay" (sounds like a john...) Brinstar Depths also happens to be Purin's best stage, so it's not good for Bowser. I'm not competing in my tourney, because I'm going to have to ref.
Not true. That may be the reason a handful of judges ban certain stages at their own tournaments, but that's simply not true to all legitimate cases

Top Bottom