• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Bowser Questions and Advice Thread

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
That's sort of silly to say. If you lose to your opponent, isn't 100% of the cause of loss "mindgames" or, outthinking the enemy? Unless your controller breaks and it makes you run off the side of the stage the entire match.

"Aww man, I lost, but only because you're better than me" is what it says to me.
Basically that IS what it says, it's just that a lot of people think mindgames is, how to put it, a sort of physical thing you can blame for stuff.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
You have several choices.
Air dodge on if you're able to and hope for the best.
Come up from below so you can ledgetech and hope for the best.
Dodge at an upward angle towards the level, so that he will miss with the first fsmash, and hopefully wont try and do it again and hope for the best.
Up B so that you float over him, and hope for the best.

And if any of that fails, Down-B and hope for the best >_>
I wouldn't play a marth in a conventional level where you need to rely on a standard edge. Pick somewhere smaller and hopefully, somewhere with platforms. Don't play a marth straight on.

MechaBoozer20XX

Smash Journeyman
Nah my first tourney I counter-picked YS and got owned. Didnt know its good for Marth too. Yeah D-b>ledgegrab works nice like once or twice a round but if you spam it you'll get punished. Air dodge is something I dont do to often but prolly should incorporate more.Especially after Gimpy's information.
Fortress to come over high doesnt work to often cause he can space and usually tip me.
The only thing I could think of is to mix up your recoveries.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Nah my first tourney I counter-picked YS and got owned. Didnt know its good for Marth too. Yeah D-b>ledgegrab works nice like once or twice a round but if you spam it you'll get punished. Air dodge is something I dont do to often but prolly should incorporate more.Especially after Gimpy's information.
Fortress to come over high doesnt work to often cause he can space and usually tip me.
The only thing I could think of is to mix up your recoveries.
That last part sounds to me like

"Maybe I shouldn't come back to the stage the same way everytime."

Watch some Gimpy vids.

I think searching "Gimpy vs. Eggz" on youtube will get you some vids worth watching.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
search "gimpyfish north hollywood"

i guess all i have vs marth is in the gimpyfish eggz category though, so go ahead and look at that too

D

Deleted member

Hey gimpy and other boozers. Do u guys nair, cuz i like it for when im in tight spots and need a quick move. Its good shffled, sorta like pikas nair.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
North Hollywood is sweet. I enjoyed the multi klaw combo in that one match, kudos for that >_>

I up- B or grab when they are close, but I mix it in every once and a while, like if I'm in too awkward of a position for a different aerial or to set up for a fair. You know, mindgames and so forth...

MechaBoozer20XX

Smash Journeyman
sweetspot better
Nice. Any advice on how to do that besides more practice? I try fastfalling some times to screw with thier timing, it works ok.

Yeah I've had a hard time with sidesteps for some reson but the nair and dair stay out longer than some sidesteps. Its nice.

Ive prolly watched almost every Gimpy vid there is , they're good stuff man.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I mean, if you've watched all of Gimpy's vid's but are still interested in combo vids or whatever, you could also look up Arash, Caotic, Magnum, KevinM, so on . AH DONT KILL ME GIMPY! XD

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Then get some new ones up >_>
I wish I had a capture card. I'll probably get one right around holiday season, I need to get some matches up.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
heh, nice. I'm hosting one more tournament before Brawl's release, probably in middle-late december, have to decide by sunday, and I'll have capture cards to record the matches, so I'll try and get some of my Bowser up, since I plan on going Bowser straight through it.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'm going to go ahead and not post here anymore. Gimpy doesn't like posting in the Bowser boards. >_<
So yeah, I'll get videos up after that, but I'm out folks.
Enjoy...being bowser I suppose.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
What happenned to Bowser Boards Spam Thread?
I just checked back right now and noticed it was gone

misterbee180

Smash Apprentice
Check like the 7th down. Guess maybe we've been commenting on actual non spam things so much that it's been lowered in the ranks

tac0

Smash Journeyman
So what should I be doing against a DK? someone suggested using Fair to lower his shield to poopie, but my spacing isn't so good. Oh and I need help against peach, at first I would beat her then she got all defensive and spammed the **** out of me with those turnips. and how should I follow up my grabs in a Bowser ditto? Bowser is just super fun to play, so I'd actually like to get good with him.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
If peach is just holing up in a corner and spamming you with turnips, just remember, nothing says you need to go over to your opponent. If you can get them to actually come at you with them, it puts you in a position where you are able to defend against the turnips since they will be coming on your terms. By making it so Peach has to approach you to get into throwing range, you leave her in a position where after she makes the long throw, she has to return to a safe spot to pull up another, leaving various windows of opportunity for your approach. In a sense...

Mindgames better.

Allin

Smash Journeyman
What should bowser do against fox. I play bowser as my secondary, jiggs is my main, but i was playing and winning at my local tourny at gamecrazy when i came across a fox that trashed my bowser. *i was maining bowser for this tourny* i beat him with my jiggs but was suprised to see that. Any suggestions and yeah i do use mind games :p

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What should bowser do against fox. I play bowser as my secondary, jiggs is my main, but i was playing and winning at my local tourny at gamecrazy when i came across a fox that trashed my bowser. *i was maining bowser for this tourny* i beat him with my jiggs but was suprised to see that. Any suggestions and yeah i do use mind games :p
This fight has the possibility of being really difficult. I used to rather like playing Foxes until the main one in my area decided to be campy as hell.

A good way to gauge a Fox's knowledge of the matchup is by using throws. An unknowledgable Fox tends to be screwed over by the Up-Throw, as incorrect DI either leads into an Up-Throw chaingrab or an Up-Smash every time. Also, the Koopa Klaw works in a similar way. If they DI anything but directly away, you can hit him easily, or possibly pull off a very sexy-looking Koopa Klaw Forward-Throw -> Koopa Klaw chaingrab.

He has a crazy amount of speed over you, and as such, he can hit-and-run with lasers if he gets a stage like Dream Land. Minimize it however you can. Up-B is always a godsend, but don't abuse it, or you'll get punished in the form of Up-Throw -> Up-Air or just an Up-Smash.

You should also abuse his predictable recovery. If Fox gets to a point where he has to recovery from under the stage, something rather amusing is to spam the "less than 100%" ledge attack. Fox's gravity, combined with the natural knockback, prevents him from doing a lot outside of repeatedly getting hit. He could go over you if he's not too far off, but you should be able to recover fast enough to hit him again.

That's just for fun, though; you should be able to time any one of Bowser's possible edgeguarding moves to finish the job.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
A few questions Gimpyfish.

It seems that with Brawl busying you so, Boozer Cute 2 will be much longer in coming. I'm wondering, will we ever see it for Melee? Or will Boozer Cute 2 Bowser's first Brawl combo video?

Also, I recall you stating somewhere that the idea of "character loyalty" is stupid. I would have thought one such as you the epitome of character loyalty. Witness how "loyally" you have stuck with Bowser for so long. Can you explain the difference? What are you if you're not loyal?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
character loyalty for the sake of character loyalty is a really dumb concept, playing a character and limiting yourself after a long time of play because you dont want to offend other _______ users or because you've jsut been doing it so long is dumbi play bowser because i like bowser, it hasn't really got anything to do with character loyalty i just like the character

misterbee180

Smash Apprentice
pfft flame cancel LOL. Anyways, gimpyfish, you going to be going to the gameclucks tournament this sat? I'ma pull out my bowser for the low tier battles and see what i can do in the regular ones depending on how everyone looks. Probably end up going bowser for both just for double the flavor... and double the cash. Na. But a question... hum... ok, i got one. If I grab a floaty char w/ the claw which way should I toss him, foward or back. If anyone has any things they like to do against floaty chars w/ a toss at any direction at any percentage holla. Actually i guess at a low percentage because high you would just throw them back out of stage.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If I grab a floaty char w/ the claw which way should I toss him, foward or back. If anyone has any things they like to do against floaty chars w/ a toss at any direction at any percentage holla. Actually i guess at a low percentage because high you would just throw them back out of stage.
Klaw Back-Throw if it's going to send them off the stage at least. Klaw Forward-Throw does more damage, so it's generally better against floaties otherwise, unless you would like them to be away from you for some reason.

If there is a throw that will get your opponent off the level, use that one; Bowser's excellent edgeguarding allows you to take advantage of a lot of characters that way. If not, Down-Throw is good for techchasing, depending on the character, and if they're floaty, if you can read their next jump, you might be able to get a F-Air afterwards or something. If you can make the opponent fear you, Up-Throw into double-jumping Up-Air is justice~

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
If you down throw a floaty, they can easily exchange blows before you can get out of the laggy throw animation. Expect a NAIR or FAIR from almost any character if you D-Throw so either don't do it or follow it up with a fortress to maybe priority cancel their attack and retreat backwards with it. I'd say back throw or up throw.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you down throw a floaty, they can easily exchange blows before you can get out of the laggy throw animation.
Am I on the Kirby boards and didn't realize it?

The Down-Throw always gives you enough time to do something. It's not really combo material, but it's basically always a setup...

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i'd rather play germs link than pc's fox if i was wanting to win thats for sure

i guess i'd rather play an "at the peak level of the metagame" link than fox, just because of how good fox is

if it was like a washignton fox or an anyone else fox, i'd probably take the anyone else fox just fyi

washignton is too good T-T

Top Bottom