• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bowser Mathcup's Thread (Post here to Discuss Specifics)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W has like the most "drastically in his favor" matchups out of all chars lol. Probably more than Snake and MK. Notably he does better against Falco, Zelda, and DDD than MK and Snake do if I recall.

He gets hard countered by nobody either. TL is the closest he has to a counter.

Yeah, just try to get past G&W's giant priority. Particularly his shield destroying B-air. Big characters especially hate that.

ElectroBlooper

Smash Cadet
There hasn't been a whole lot of consensus on Bowser vs Zelda in this thread, but the posts on the subject have usually judged the matchup to be pretty even, possibly in Bowser's favor. I'm guessing the Zelda board is pretty sure they've got Bowser beat and badly. If any Zeldas reading this have reasons for this that they would like to post, I think the different perspective would improve the discussion on Bowser vs Zelda a lot. Otherwise I don't think we're going to get any further with this one.

Last time I analyzed this one, I judged it to be in Zelda's favor. I've revised my thinking a little, and would retract that. I think I have a pretty decent understanding of the fundamental issues, but I don't have the experience against good Zeldas to make a definitive judgement.

I hate Zelda's lightning kick. It's not exactly difficult to pull one on Bowser so Bowser never wants to be in the air during this matchup unless he is below her.

As far as the matchup in general goes, there are really two deciding factors IMHO: the first is Zelda's aforementioned aerial dominance and her cheap a$s Din spam:mad:. I think Bowser's ground game > Zelda's (more range and power plus Zelda's way lighter), so Bowser's performance in this matchup revolves around his ability to keep Zelda on the ground and at mid range.

I will confess I haven't played any great Zeldas but Din spam seems somewhat manageable with a shield run shield run approach. The only problem is that Bowser has to be very careful after blocking the last Din's fire after closing the distance. If bowser stays on the ground, aerial combat only becomes a problem when Zelda uses sh aerials to approach or knocks him up (I'm sorry that was terrible). Bowser has options to manage sh aerials from Zelda, especially since they aren't very fast or unpredictable (will she bair or fair? does it matter?). Shield grab, jab combo, and fortress out of shield are pretty easy responses. Getting back to the ground when Zelda sends him flying is obviously crucial. It's not obscenely difficult with air dodging and bowser bombing ledge grab, but it is extremely dangerous.

I don't feel confident in my ability to discuss edgeguarding in this matchup, so I won't take that into consideration in this analysis. It could have a big impact, though, so if anyone has any thoughts...

Stage selection makes a really big difference for Bowser even on typically neutral maps: FD makes Din spam even more annoying than usual and Battlefield encourages a lot more aerial combat than Bowser wants. Smashville is perfect for Bowser because it lacks the size and platforms of FD and Battlefield.

Like I said, I don't have enough experience to say how hard it is for Bowser to keep those two factors under control, but if I had to guess I would say this matchup is even or in Zelda's favor. On the other hand, I'm guessing she still has the winning combo of downb -> ****:ohwell: I haven't played any Sheiks with Bowser so I'm just assuming.

As far as the thread in general goes, discussing whether Olimar or G&W ***** Bowser the hardest is not going to make either matchup any easier. Discussing why they **** Bowser and how said rapage could be minimized just might. I would start it off but I don't know enough about either.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
I really need info on fighting a metaknight and a ROB. out of my group of friends, it is the people that use these chars that give me trouble. Can anyone give me advice?

Popertop

Smash Champion
Against ROB, learn to spotdodge/powershield his lazers and fair his gyro.
Flame breath stops gyro also, but if you hold it, he can lazer you through it so be careful.
It helps to have a smaller stage with platforms like Battlefield that you can claw hop around on to
have some added mobility to get around his projectiles.
Be wary of his Nair, it goes through stuff and has deceptive quickness, despite it's slow startup.
It's also pretty strong and the hitbox goes all the way around him, being the biggest right in front of him immediatly following the inital startup flame.
Also, he's more vulnerable to ceiling KO's (Uair,Usmash,Utilt sometimes), so utilize that and KO him before 100 if you can.
Ftilt outranges everything he has on the ground except maybe downsmash i think.

I don't know anything vs Meta I haven't faced a good one yet.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Bowser vs a good Zelda is a handful. You can't play patiently due to her Din's Fire and if you play aggressively her priority in attacks out do every attack Bowser can dish out. Some ppl seem to think Din's Fire is a joke but what they don't realize is what its doing to them.

Its making you approach Zelda where she has the advantage because of her Forward Smash range and quick Down Smash. Their also her Up smash at which she can put Bowser up to about 28% easy just by doing it twice (you can't escape) You never want to be in the air with Zelda. Her kick can hit Bowser much easier then it hits other characters (this applies for most Heavy weights) and her attack priority is the devil.

Your GOING to have a tough time with Zelda and if you don't then the Zelda player must not be to good. I haven't really found a good tactic for brawling a good Zelda with Bowser. I usually go to one of my other mains (Ness or Zelda) but its something I'll be looking into as I continue to brawl. ;)

but imo

Zelda is one of Bowser's worst match up's (well his match ups only go from bad to worst anyways)

oh and Din's Fire spam isn't cheap its a tactic one most learn to overcome. Play to win ;)
http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlayToWinPart1.htm

Buuman

Smash Ace
WTF is up with the char matchup chart saying bowser is neutral with both meta knight and DK. I laughed at when I saw DK..and I nearly **** my pants when I saw that bowser was even with MK. I think MK is self explanatory and he has, easily, a small advantage, st the least, over bowser. And DK?! Omfg, have any of you played good DKs? Theres no was around him. He out ranges you. he has three spikes. The only thing bowser has that could even merely make the match even is his side b, and maybe a very well played Firebreath. Dk definitely has the advantage here. I just want to make this clear to everyone, because The fellow smashers on the char match up chart have DK and MK both neutral with bowser, when clearly, both of those two are on the TOP TIER (MK anyway, DK is probably going to be on the upper Tier)

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Let's not talk about that character matchup chart. I think most people get it when even the creator of the chart admitted it was incomplete.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Yeah, I wouldn't look too hard at that chart, either.

The game is still too unexplored to really know.

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
Wolf. Specifically his blaster. That thing really screws me up. I have a hard time approaching him and the one I'm playing is extremely defensive. Suggestions?

Amide

Smash Lord
WTF is up with the char matchup chart saying bowser is neutral with both meta knight and DK. I laughed at when I saw DK..and I nearly **** my pants when I saw that bowser was even with MK. I think MK is self explanatory and he has, easily, a small advantage, st the least, over bowser. And DK?! Omfg, have any of you played good DKs? Theres no was around him. He out ranges you. he has three spikes. The only thing bowser has that could even merely make the match even is his side b, and maybe a very well played Firebreath. Dk definitely has the advantage here. I just want to make this clear to everyone, because The fellow smashers on the char match up chart have DK and MK both neutral with bowser, when clearly, both of those two are on the TOP TIER (MK anyway, DK is probably going to be on the upper Tier)

While MK still might have a small advantage over Bowser, aerial approaches get interrupted by Bowser's USmash, his FSmash can outprioritize the tornado. And while Bowser and MK are very physical fighters, MK's attacks are quick. Bowser's have good range. This shouldn't matter for me though, because now I'll use G&W against Bowser. Great matchup for me.

About DK, he is great against Bowser.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Every character owns Bowser tbh. Cept for Ganondorf.

Metaknight has a lot of advantages over Bowser. I for one hate that he has no lag in any of his moves (cept for his Down B at which most players don't use)

I mean he can actually attack then block before you do and he can go from one attack to another in a snap.

I've seen MK players do a Standard A then a Down Smash right after it. It actually looked as if both moves where one.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm having a lot of success with Bowser against Snake right now.

1. Snake is MAD easy to ledge guard against once you get him off. Bowser ***** predictable recoveries, and Snake's is just that.

(look up Overswarm vs KishSquared on youtube for an example of this.)

2. ISJR + Klaw is really effective.

Anyone else have insight on this matchup? Bowser players will need to be ready for Snakes, since there's so dang many of them.

Flayl

Smash Hero
My advice against Ganondorf: He can't do anything about well spaced firebreath. Just don't try it if he's already in the air. Don't face him head on in the air, his aerials have much more range than yours. What seems to work for me is to do an empty SH or jump and get into the tip of his Fair distance to bait him into attacking, then punishing with a AA/Grab/Fortress if it doesn't have landing lag, DSmash/Klaw/FSmash if it does. His Bair is, at least for me, trickier to read but I think you can Fair him if you attack from a 7 o' clock angle. Never stand directly beneath him with no platform cover (Bowser's upwards range sucks and Ganon's feet really hurt).

Power shield (if you can) the first hit of his DSmash and immediately ground Bowser Bomb, both hits will, well, hit, because he's still kicking backwards and he's the tallest guy in Brawl.

Since he's forced to approach you, you can assume he'll do one of 3 things when he's outside of Ftilt range: An aerial, The Choke, or Wizard's Foot. Drop the habit of shield fortressing for this matchup, if you do it too often he will punish with a choke. What you want to do is jump if he jumps and Ftilt/Dodge if he doesn't. Ftilt hits him if he SideB's and it will cancel if he DownB's (although if you have good timing your hitbox can come out when his hitbox is "in" your arm, and it will hit). Spaced Ftilts, obviously, are also a good way to force him to approach.

As for edge-guarding, I'm not very sophisticated. I try to flame tickle if he can UpB to the stage, edge hog if he can only reach the ledge.

Just like Ike, every hit on you really hurts, but Ganon has less range and angle coverage, and his moves are slightly faster. Overall I'd say he's my easiest matchup as Bowser (Falcon's speed gives him a small fighting chance). Sliq's input would be great, he plays both of the parties involved and his ganondorf is definitely better than the ones I face.

Top Bottom