• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Out of curiosity, what are considered Bang's worst matchups?
I don't know a lot about Bang, but I'm willing to bet characters who control the momentum of the entire match are kinda bad, so Tao and Valk. Also, anyone who has an excellent neutral game can pretty much shut down everything he does. So, Litchi and Jin, I imagine. And possibly Hakumen? Possibly.

I'm not too sure though, so I would recommend checking out the match-up threads on Dustloop, they're pretty informative.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I had forgotten what a great great game this is.

Did ok in the tourney yesterday.

I made it to 1/4'rs in winners and got knocked out by the best Hakumen in the country apparently.

Then went on to get to the semis in losers where this bad *** Nu12 dominated me.

I just couldn't get in on her with Hakumen.

I think a Hazama won the whole thing.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
What do you guys feel about technical barriers in fighters? Do you just keep persisting in practicing or maybe you just opt out and switch to an easier character to play or flat out not use that character?

Although not related to blaz: it feels depressing when I've been practicing Kohaku for the past half year and I still haven't been able to do her fake battou combos that every Kohaku should know.

For related BB: I put around 3 months of work into learning Makoto's 2366A~D section (this was before I knew you could 2366 and I did 66236 -_-). While I have stopped myself from learning Rachel :x.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Sometimes a character's nature and setup is just such that you won't be able to get them. It's nothing wrong with you or the character, it's just some people's playstyles. For instance, I can NEVER play Litchi because of the whole "different moves with the rod and without the rod" and the switching back and forth with it. I just can't get the hang of it, like I will ALWAYS jump trying to 360 or 720. I can't be defensive enough to be Hakumen. No idea why I've never tried Bang though.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tech barriers are just something that comes and goes with time and practice.

I remember back in CS when I was just coming into my own as a Litchi and had to memorize the Itsuu strings... it was difficult at first to even have the staffed A hit connect after 63214A to open, and even after a month or so of using the skill it still dropped on occasion. No one is perfect, but if you practice it in the right way long enough it can become much easier. Eventually I was quite good at it.

Sometimes it's simply not knowing something you should know though and it takes some research. If it seems like everyone else is getting something you're not, chances are it would help to ask. The worst thing that happens is you look silly for not knowing something... but if you don't ask, you'll just be silly for continuing to not know, so you may as well ask and improve.

On a different note: If a character isn't for you, then it isn't for you. But if a character jives with your style and you like playing them, then in general a tech barrier will eventually fall with enough persistence and a little luck. But if you're trying to force an overly technical character on yourself for some other reason you probably won't be motivated to get far enough and comfortable enough with them to clear most of the barriers. E.g. You shouldn't play Arakune if you aren't comfortable being both floaty and dodgy in his neutral game even if you're good at his curse combos. You'll never get far enough to make them count. Character preference and the tech-skill for them count on what your playstyle is like and therefore your success with them. In some cases you may be fighting against the grain, but if it's something you want and feel comfortable with you should probably keep at it.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Yeah, a lot of good players use pad. A couple Quebecers for example, and probably the best Makoto in the province uses a 360 PAD for crying out loud. :bee:
STOP SAYING THIS LIKE IT'S IS A MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT. 360 pad is good!

What do you guys feel about technical barriers in fighters? Do you just keep persisting in practicing or maybe you just opt out and switch to an easier character to play or flat out not use that character?

Although not related to blaz: it feels depressing when I've been practicing Kohaku for the past half year and I still haven't been able to do her fake battou combos that every Kohaku should know.

For related BB: I put around 3 months of work into learning Makoto's 2366A~D section (this was before I knew you could 2366 and I did 66236 -_-). While I have stopped myself from learning Rachel :x.
We... have similar tastes in characters... Next thing you'll tell me you like Haruka from Beyblade and Miyako from Hidamari Sketch.

I tried learning Arakune for a time, but I felt like it was too much of a barrier for me and the whole time, I was just bored of his shenanigans. And yet, I'm playing Leona in KOF XIII. I guess, at least for me, you can only learn someone when you really feel like learning them.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I don't even know who Haruka is xd. I don't remember the names of the people in that show.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Having used it for more than 2 years, it beats the PS3 controller flat for fighters for me.

(though people will always be more comfortable with what they got used to, the other side will just seem awkward in comparison)

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
To be fair, I'm not even sure what YOU were saying. Were you saying you liked it for two years, or that you tried it for two years and didn't? Or were you saying that it wasn't an accomplishment... I was pretty much guessing in the dark to try and comment on what you said.

I like the 360 pad, I've used it since the beginning.

Was that clear?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
STOP SAYING THIS LIKE IT'S IS A MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT. 360 pad is good!

We... have similar tastes in characters... Next thing you'll tell me you like Haruka from Beyblade and Miyako from Hidamari Sketch.

I tried learning Arakune for a time, but I felt like it was too much of a barrier for me and the whole time, I was just bored of his shenanigans. And yet, I'm playing Leona in KOF XIII. I guess, at least for me, you can only learn someone when you really feel like learning them.

Hey, I always found it really hard to do anything on the few times I used it, so just speaking from experience. Well, that and I don't mind giving props to my friends, haha. :bee:

Minato

穏やかじゃない

This is one of those things that's different for each individual. I'm lucky that I have pretty good execution. The only games that give me trouble are Guilty Gear and Fate/Unlimited Codes, everything else I can grind it out.
Whether you want to stick with overcoming the technical hurdle is up to you.

The way I practice my execution is to turn on input display. Sometimes it's as simple as me not hitting the corner on my arcade stick.
Next I pretty much practice the motion really slow and just visualize how it works so I get it down to muscle memory. Afterwards, I'll just break the combo into pieces instead of trying it from the beginning each time.
Having used it for more than 2 years, it beats the PS3 controller flat for fighters for me.

(though people will always be more comfortable with what they got used to, the other side will just seem awkward in comparison)
If I'm using a d-pad, it's a PS3 controller for me. I grew up playing Hyper Fighting and MK on the SNES and Marvel on the PS1, so I'm used to it.
I can imagine Smashers preferring the 360 analog, but I don't.

BB isn't hard on a d-pad, IMO. I can actually adjust fairly quickly.
To be fair, I'm not even sure what YOU were saying. Were you saying you liked it for two years, or that you tried it for two years and didn't?
Spelt meant from his experience from using it over 2 years, it's not the best for fighters. There are disadvantages to using a pad over an arcade stick, but I don't think it matters much for some people.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah ... After learning how to use a stick, I wouldn't go back. Even though I'm probably still better with a pad.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well that's certainly a fantastic reason to jump at me?

I was just trying to join in the conversation was all.

*sadface*

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry. :(
I just thought it was a little ridiculous to reply to my post than say you didn't even know what I was saying.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol, well I thought I did know, but then when you didn't seem happy about it immediately afterwards I realized I was probably totally wrong and started guessing why you'd say something like that... then I realized there was like 3 different ways you could take it and didn't know anymore and tried to make it clearer what I was trying to say since it "wasn't saying much".

Then you posted mean things and I cried. D:

('tis k though, lol)

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I started with soku (worst fighter ever to start). Then I found melty. So I've been practicing with the keyboard ever since I started fighting games. I only play BB with PS3 pad because they don't support keyboard.

Either way, I know keyboard is terrible and I should feel terrible for using it. But eh. Might be because I'm too lazy to plug in my PS3 controller every time i want to play melty or maybe I just have an affinity with the keyboard. Who knows.

I should buy a stick and mod it into a keyboard setup like madscientist from Mbread \o/.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
My first fighting game was GG, and while I still suck at GG, I feel like it made entry into other fighting games a lot easier. I started off on pad, but switched to stick after a couple months.

As far as technical barrier goes, I don't really know where I stand. My execution is good, I think, but definitely not amazing. As far as BB goes, I can't think of much that I can't do, in terms of stuff that I've tried to learn. The only thing that I can think of that I can't do reliably is Tsubaki's IAD j.CC combos. :ohwell:

Speaking of which, I should probably pick/learn a sub for Extend, eventually.

Pikaville

Pad player for life man.

I tried using a stick the other day for Marvel, I stopped trying after maybe 30 seconds.

Just doesn't feel good.

Pikaville

Yeah I've been using a pad my whole life.

My hands are too comfortable with controllers.

Don't think I'll ever properly try to use a stick TBH.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I can't use pad for anything that isn't Melty.

I can't use the dpad, gotta use the control stick.

The arcade stick felt right for me from the beginning, I never really used one before BB.

I never really played anything outside of Smash until I tried Melty. I don't think my execution is that great right now, but I just grind things out anyways. I will never quit a character I like just because of difficulty. :/

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I was a pad warrior for years and my first fighter was actually Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES, but the first one I took semi-seriously was Soul Calibur, and legit seriously was actually Brawl (I have no idea what I was thinking, I just hadn't taken fighting games that serious before since I'm in a small town). Yeah, I thought "oh a stick's silly, I can do most of the stuff", but when one was available for $95, and I messed up a controller from mashing too fast, I kinda looked at it and thought "Well, I can spend $95 now on a stick, or keep spending $55 replacing controllers". It took me a bit of getting used to for sure and for the first couple of months I was awful, but once you get used to it, you wonder what the big deal was.

Pikaville

The REALLY annoying thing is that I know my execution would probably be much better if I did spend time getting used to it.

It's just on pads, because the analog is so small there is a smaller margin of error on directional inputs.

Like when I try to down-forward airdash in Marvel and it just comes out as a down :(

So many dropped combos.....

Crusayer

Smash Lord
You can do that in Melty too.

Cept I'm way too used to doing manual 966 IADs to do the two button airdash :I

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
My main barrier to stick transfer is the $$$. I want to be able to try it first before I commit to such an expense... but chances have been few (and understandably clumsy for a first time stick user lol).

However... if I ever do get a stick (which I'm highly considering JUST for the idea I'm about to lay down) I'd definitely make the stick itself a light blue ball top with art of Kokonoe holding it like it's her sucker/lollipop. That would be so win. (no one steal that! Lol)

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
I got a deal for a TE madcatz stick that I picked up for 100 bucks. It's the finest electronic I own.

I think I've played with it since halfway through CT, consistently for hours at a time and it still works like a charm.

So If you do get a stick, get a madcatz Tournament Edition.

Top Bottom