• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

X the Derp

Smash Apprentice
XBL: X The Derp

I main H-MAN!, tagger, and I guess you could put Ragna the Derpedge, I'm okay with him. Still learning Jin and picking up Litchi. Litchi is essentially a faster female Hakumen.

Edit: Lol, I was looking at the OP, and I love how much hype there was for CT. Minato was a tier-***** before the game even came out.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Vs. Tager as Tsubaki.

Run the **** away. Charge D. Spam D moves.

That's literally all you can do. Everything else comes at a great risk.
pretty much sum it up right there. the best attempt to even leave a dent on tager is 22D fully charged. u better hope the tager has s***ty reaction.
Yeah, I figured as much for Tsubaki. And for Rachel, I'll just learn to play patiently and get used to it.
Tager reminds me of a low tier Sheik in terms of matchups. He does a good job shutting down the characters below him.

It's going to be scary facing him in BBCSII if he's as good as he sounds.

Edit: Lol, I was looking at the OP, and I love how much hype there was for CT. Minato was a tier-***** before the game even came out.
That happens for a lot games for me for some odd reason. lol
I'll pick someone before there's footage, and they end up pretty good. Then they end up being nerfed badly in the following release.

Tsubaki's one of the few exceptions.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I'll fix up the OP with the new tags when I have access to my own computer.

Here are the tournament results for In Dust We Trust, if anyone is interested:

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus

1. Selah (Sol)
2. Gaudeo (Robo-Ky, Zappa)
3. DrewTheDude (Baiken)
4. Lythium (Faust)
5. Adapt (Millia)
5. Raziek (Slayer, Baiken)
7. Cataclysm (Bridget)
7. Noodles (May)

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

1. DrewTheDude (Bang)
2. Cataclysm (Litchi)
3. Selah (Tager)
4. Gaudeo (Jin)
5. Raziek (Hazama)
5. Adapt (Lambda)
7. Sven (Litchi, Noel)
7. Noodles (Arakune)
9. Realyst (Noel)
9. Lythium (Noel, Mu)
9. Chozo (Hakumen)

Not gonna lie, I got bracket ***** pretty hard. In both games, but whatev. Still good times. :3c

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Noel study group? :O
Sure! ^_^

And thanks for adding me in the Op, lol.

Anyway, my dad got a new 15 inch hdtv for dirt cheap (for a camper at the hunting land; it had an antenna), and I tried it out.

It looks pretty nice (for a cheapo tv, te colors aren't that bad), but it has like 1-3 frames of lag. While playing Unreal Tournament, I would shoot my gun and it would take half a second to shoot, lol. It messed me up for a bit in Blazblue too.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
These should become standard emoticons for SWF.
*drools*

Now then... I realize I didn't say my mains...

Before I even own/play CS more than twice. I'm calling my mains.

Noel
Mu
Lambda

Can anyone guess why? :awesome:

SuSa

Right? That confused the hell out of me when I found that out...... how the hell does one's blood type change?

/I wrote the Noel wiki because she's awesome and fit's in with the cliche anime girl type I like and because Mu and Lambda are genetically the same - they automatically get classified as Noel. Because Noel came first...

//is obsessed a 5 year old.

///robot

////Fino

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
You know, this is embarrassing, but I can't figure out how to send out like an invite for a Friend match on PSN with Continuum Shift (or anything else, really, lol). I click on it and it says "No messages" and that's it.

Ugh, I don't know if it was the connection or my controller was dying or what in those matches Minato, but I just feel totally bleh now, lol. Like, not your fault, but I literally couldn't even move or do anything. Getting massively pwned like that just was NOT fun, but I do appreciate the games though.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Ugh, I don't know if it was the connection or my controller was dying or what in those matches Minato, but I just feel totally bleh now, lol. Like, not your fault, but I literally couldn't even move or do anything. Getting massively pwned like that just was NOT fun, but I do appreciate the games though.
Yeah, I did notice sometimes where your character would just stay still.
GGs though. While combos blue beated every once in awhile, our matches had a pretty good connection, IMO.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ I mind as well put my name to.

XBL
Viper JLT4GOV:

☯ I'll mostly play Live when hopefully Platinum gets released. ._.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, the combos always connected, lol. And I have to say that for what it's worth, on my side it didn't seem like my characters were standing still. I wonder if my mom or dad were using the computer up here while I was on the PS3 in the basement. But yeah, I normally use one controller and charge the other. I had my PS3 on a good bit today, so it probably needs to have the cord plugged into the controller and charged. No johns though, you would've still handily beaten my without it happening probably. Especially since I need to focus on maintaining my calm and not hardcore raging when stuff happens.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Updated the OP. By the way, if anyone switches characters or I got anything wrong, just let me know and I'll fix it.

I think I'm gonna put my Noel away for a bit. It's getting to the point where I feel like it's getting stale, and I'm not learning any new tricks, and I'm just getting frustrated by it.

Time to focus more on Mu? I think so. :3c

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
i would've played last night but i was at a friend's house and they were playing mw2. anyone else getting back on tonight?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Updated the OP. By the way, if anyone switches characters or I got anything wrong, just let me know and I'll fix it.

I think I'm gonna put my Noel away for a bit. It's getting to the point where I feel like it's getting stale, and I'm not learning any new tricks, and I'm just getting frustrated by it.

Time to focus more on Mu? I think so. :3c

Well, you could maybe give some tips to the rest of us? I say that because I go on Dustloop looking up stuff to try and learn things and the sheer volume and stuff is just absolutely overwhelming to where I think I get an overload and don't really learn much. Like, okay, I've memorized one or two combinations, but know nothing of when to use it or what character it works best against, you know?

Oh and side note, got your message F8AL, and point taken.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I like to go into training mode so I can get the feel of my characters and innovate. I've discovered plenty of things that are never posted on Dustloop and just getting natural with my character has helped tremendously in mixing up.

Also, I never drop combos, thanks to the training. Just a month ago, I realized that Bang and Litchi have abnormally flat otg hitboxes, making my corner bnbs a pain, but I eventually got the timing down on them. Oddly enough, my 214B~D(LV3) hits them without coming close to really touching them, lol. It's like playing Snake.

If you have that foundation, then you have to have the drive and discipline to actually practice if you really want to improve.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
That's another thing too, Zero. There's all these random fancy terms there that I'm literally like "wtf is this s---?" for because like....for example, it took me ages to realize that TK meant the old 2369 command for the original Tiger Knee, let alone the crazy terms involving Litchi and all that. It's just like they make things so unnecessarily complicated.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Hey add me to the XBL list my GT is zingst3r

I play Hazama level 36 bby :) <3 blazblue got it like am onth ago sooooo rapeee

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
for example, it took me ages to realize that TK meant the old 2369 command for the original Tiger Knee, let alone the crazy terms involving Litchi and all that. It's just like they make things so unnecessarily complicated.
This is exactly why I don't go to Dustloop. I just watch videos.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Holy crap, and you've only had it for a month? I've had it since CT was released here (and got the limited edition) and got CS when it came out and I've still only got to level 8, lol. But well...school's had a part in it.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
The crazy terms are just for convenience when talking about them. For example, I hate saying, "Quarter-circle forward, light attack, drive attack until level three on the drive meter." I'd much rather say, "236A~D(LV3)." If you're ever unsure of terms, just ask. Hopefully you're talking to the nicer members of the community and they don't destroy you for being unsure.

btw, I recently learned that you lose some kind of points when you lose in player matches. My brother was destroying someone online and that person told us that he was losing a ton of points because my brother has never done ranked matches, lol.

Edit: Is Ninja Storm 2 the one with Lars from Tekken 6? How good is the game? It looks amazing, but I hope it's not A,A,A,A,A,A,B,B kind of combos.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Oh, well the losing points bit probably explains it. And I dunno, I totally get the like 236B~D thing because it comes across as "quarter circle forward + B with D during" or something. The numpad thing totally makes sense, it's people thinking it's cool to use like Itsuu or Itaku (okay, I made that up, no offense intended) or whatever when really it's simply easier to say (CR) for Chain Revolver or like WROD for "with rod".

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I only play player matches and rarely, so I level really slowly. Level 20 or something? I don't even know.

Well, you could maybe give some tips to the rest of us? I say that because I go on Dustloop looking up stuff to try and learn things and the sheer volume and stuff is just absolutely overwhelming to where I think I get an overload and don't really learn much. Like, okay, I've memorized one or two combinations, but know nothing of when to use it or what character it works best against, you know?
I'm gonna go ahead and agree with what Zero and Jam said. Messing around in training mode is a good way to figure stuff out. I "made up" a combo for Noel, only to realize later that it was actually a combo listed on DL. But I never found in amongst all the stuff there, just because there's so much and it's kind of overwhelming. And not gonna lie, before LunaKage became the Noel mod, the Noel boards were atrocious in terms of gathering information. But anyway, messing around in training mode helps you to figure out your character better, just in general. You'll learn things that no one can teach, and you'll figure out your own tricks.

Also, videos are important. I watch videos to see new things. Someone out there will always be finding new stuff about the characters, regardless of who you play. If you're feeling uninspired, watch Japanese vids. You'll find crazy stuff in there. If you're feeling like there's something new that you'd like to try but you don't know what, watch North American vids. The stuff that Americans try is never particularly difficult to pull off, but it's usually pretty useful in terms of pressure and blockstrings, and especially for Noel, because most Americans will take damage over oki, and where Noel doesn't have a strong oki game (practically none at all), it's a good opportunity to see what other players are doing.
Whoa, run-on sentences.

If you're looking for a useful Noel trick (and I'm catering mostly to you online folks, though I don't really play much online). Noel gets damage off of random mediocre pokes, and learn to capitalize on that. For example, say you get a hit off of a 5D, what are your options?

- If your opponent is blocking: 5D > d.6A > d.6C > d.6A > d.6C > 236D. Breaks two primers, and leaves you at a reasonable safe distance.
- If your opponent is blocking, but you want to get them in the corner: 5D > d.6A > d.6C > 214D. Extremely unsafe if your opponent is expecting it, but it might throw them for a loop, and then you might get a nice corner combo out of it, and Noel corner combos can be pretty amazing, damage-wise.
- If your opponent is blocking high: 5D > d. 6A > d.6C > [214A > 2B > 6C > drive combo] OR [d.6D > etc.]. 214A will lead to a decent fatty combo, and d.6D hits low, so maybe you could end with Bloom Trigger to finish, and put yourself at a safe distance, or Spring Raid, and follow-up with 66 > 6C > drive combo for more damage.
- If your opponent is blocking low: 5D > d.6A > d.6C > d.6B > etc. Same thing as above, really.
- If your opponent isn't blocking: PROFIT.

You can also end any of Noel's drive moves early with Optic Barrel, if you're feeling unsafe or unsure about what to do. It's +0 on block, which isn't amazing, but it's safe.

All of this might seem kinda scrubby, I guess, but see what you can come up with. They all start off of the same moves every time, so it's easy to remember, and it's going to keep your opponent guessing. It's all about experimenting. Take risks! Be creative! Get greedy! That's just an example of stuff that I came up with by messing around with Noel in training mode. Learn to capitalize on what you can do. And last but not least, when you're learning something, go step-by-step. Don't worry about the end result, and don't worry about winning. Just think about improving, and you'll get there.

Wow, that was waaay more than I intended to write. :I

edit: Also, take my advice with a grain of salt, because I don't think I'm very good.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Don't worry about it being too long, it helped. I do have to agree that you'll probably learn more from training and actually playing against people than you ever would just reading up on stuff because it's one thing to read and memorize strategies, but it's a whole different thing to learn how to apply it.

Also, no worries on it sounding scrubby. Us Noel mains don't have many advantages as it is, so if we've gotta abuse the ones we have to survive, so be it. :bee:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Holy crap, and you've only had it for a month? I've had it since CT was released here (and got the limited edition) and got CS when it came out and I've still only got to level 8, lol. But well...school's had a part in it.
I don't go on ranked that often, but if I do, just set the search filter for more skilled (with a green connection).
I went up over 10 levels in a day, so it saves a lot of time.

Granted you'll end up facing people at level 40 and higher, you'll get better fast, IMO.

I wonder what level I left off at in BBCT. I played Ranked quite a bit back then.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I understand completely. Learning about stuff is one thing, but applying it... yeah. I'm glad it helped though.

Another thing I find useful, especially with Noel, is to learn bits of combos, and reuse them. So, you don't have to learn/memorize forty different combos.

For example, in my combo repertoire, the ones I use the most are:
- 5D > d.6A > d.6C > whatever the situation calls for... (as mentioned above)
- 5D > d.6A > d.6C > 214A > 2B > 6C > j.D > 6D > d.6B > d.5C > 236D
- [5A] > 6A > 6C > j.D > 6D > d.6B > d.5C > 236D
- 4D > d.5A > 5D > d.6A > d.6C > 214A > 2B > 6C > j.D > 6D > d.6B > d.5C > 236D
- 3C > 22C > 66 > 6C > 5D > d.6B > d.5C > j.D > 236D
- 3C > 22C > 66 > 6C > 5D > 2D > 623D > 66 > 6C > j.D > 6D > d.6B > d.5C > 236D [> 632146D, if they end up in the corner!]

Okay, I know it's a small sample, but do you see how much overlap I have? Learn something for every occasion: counterhit, anti-air, etc., and then apply what you know. I re-use a lot of my combos, but it works. :3c

I also like to abuse 5D like a boss. Which I know I did, and it won't help you in the long run. I know they suck, but learn to use Noel's normals if you haven't already, and rely on them. I made that mistake, and paid for it for a long time. Relying too much on Noel's drive will get you nowhere. Drive blockstrings are bad blockstrings. 6B gets stuffed by EVERYTHING, but it's still her best overhead. 5A is mad fast, has great priority, and will beat out almost anything. 5C is a great meaty hit, even though it has a sucky hitbox, and you can start a drive combo if it's a counterhit. 2C is her only safe move on block, and great to end a blockstring with.

Okay, I feel like I've posted too much for one day. :I

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Another thing I find useful, especially with Noel, is to learn bits of combos, and reuse them. So, you don't have to learn/memorize forty different combos.
Yeah, this is really important. After doing most of Noel's challenges, I realized they were pretty much the same thing.

When I play as Noel, I usually try to stay at just outside their range so I can react and get a Counter Hit.
If I'm at the tip of their range when I think they're going to do something, I'll use 5D for invincibility.
I'll use 3C instead if I can easily punish a laggy move.
Rarely ever will I ever go for 6B.

Basically, I like to always make my opponent press a button and just capitalize on it.

Lately, I've been finding Noel more and more fun to use now.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, I can understand that. And even from the tutorial combo vids from the CT bonus discs, they recycled some stuff. It's kinda funny because the first combo that I "made up myself" was I think something like...

5D>d6A>d6C>214A>2B>6C>jB>jC>j236C

So, I dunno, sometimes stuff DOES just come to you. A little down that you can't purposely whiff Gauntlet Hades/Spin Kick after a move to keep a combo going like you could in CT with Ragna though.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I think I got to level 60 in CT, and I'm at 41 in CS.

I don't pay much attention to my level though, but I do keep track of my winning percentage. I feel like that's a much more accurate picture of where you are as a player. I think I'm at a 56% win rate now.

SuSa

I got to level 35 in CT in like... 4 days.

Pairing me up with level 83 Tager's in ranked matches and me winning got me level ups... fast.

Although my win % is only like 58% because it's my cousins file and we ran into this Carl that we just couldn't beat for like 3 hours. T_T

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, I normally set it to "around my skill level" or whatever for online play, even if it for whatever reason keeps giving me level 40 and 50 people. And don't even think I want to touch what my win/loss record is.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Alright.

First, my tag is "Smack Dave" on XBL. I'm rarely on, though.

Next, while it can be frustrating to jump into all the notation, there's nothing wrong with people saying 'itsuu' as it really is a lot easier to do that. I admit the Litchi combos can be really intimidating to read, but if it weren't for the shortcuts then it'd be a pain in the *** to write.

If you're having confusion about anything, don't be afraid to ask. If the *******es online are too intimidating then PM someone who is nice. One of the problems with people entering the fighting game community is that there is a ton of information to be had online but people are also anonymous *******s there too.

Anyway, as for getting better once you've reached a certain point...I have my own method for improvement which I haven't been able to do for a while, but I'll put it out there. First, watch videos. Don't just watch them, but actually try to critique the players and try to notice mistakes or poor decisions. It might seem silly to do this when the players playing are much better than you but get over that feeling and do it. Getting this kind of experience helps you notice things when watching live matches too.

Okay, now that you have some experience in watching and critiquing vids, get some vids of yourself playing. Preferably tourney vids, or vids against an opponent you have trouble beating. Watch and critique yourself. Often times you'll notice things you wanted to do but didn't, or you'll just notice things in your game you should improve. Noticing things doesn't translate into being able to change immediately, but you'll find things to work on. You'll also probably notice things that constantly work on you and you can put those situations/sequences into training mode and figure out the best way to deal with them.

This technique is also excellent if you think your game is getting stale since people tend to still like to watch matches with their character even if they don't want to play the character at that point. A new point of view, if you will.

I haven't been able to do this in a while since I don't have any recording equipment and I haven't been to any tournies for a long time.

Top Bottom