• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I do this to help me get better at throw breaking and maybe this will help your muscle memory on how throw is B+C. Just record the training dummy to do multiple throws at different intervals and just try teching them for a few minutes.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
The thing about throws/barriers/bursts on sticks is it actually makes it easier for me to do them since I've always used macro for those anyway. But I will agree the 623146 motion is a total pain, and with me the 2B>6C>236A part of a Noel combo half the time ends one of these three ways: 1. a jump A because of going 2369A, 2. the 236A just not registering in time to cancel the 2nd hit of C due to it only counting as 23A, 3. it going 2B>3C due to me going too fast.

But the hardest thing you'll probably find is how sensitive the buttons are compared to pad. If you like to hover your fingers over them (as I often do), you might sometimes find yourself accidentally hitting the wrong button.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm glad I went to the arcades a lot as a kid. The only transition I had to really deal with was from going to Happ to Sanwa.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, the only arcade was at the U of O campus over here, and there was a tiny one at Carlton years back. Come to think of it...would explain why Ottawa had a bit of a MVC2 scene back in the day.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I don't know if there has ever been a good arcade near me, I didn't grow up with one.

I'm pretty dissapointed that the arcade in the Marvel section at Islands of Adventure doesn't have a MvC2 cab, or any marvel themed arcade games iirc. It just feels wrong. :/

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I went to an actual arcade a couple times when I was a kid.

Tekken was like the only fighting game they ever had though, lol.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
■, ▲, ■, ■, ▲, o, o, o, ■, x

Not a fan of Tekken, but for some reason I can never forget this stupid King combo. :applejack:

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Tekken always seemed needlessly complicated to me for some reason, though it's probably one of the most legit fighters ever. Something about pressing like 7 buttons in a row for a throw or special move or whatever, seemed weird. And before anybody calls Street Fighter, I think having Raging Demon be what it is input wise is weird too, lol.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I really want to go to an arcade but there are none here and I have never been to one either :(

Guess that's what's one the thing I will do if I go to Japan!

Tekken is good but I'm not a big fan.

:052:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
When I was really little, I remember playing some SF and MK but I wasn't any good. By the time I got better, I was playing Versus games. Around that time though, I lived in Utah and all the arcades started closing. I did go to the arcades whenever I went down to Vegas though.

So it's not like I went everyday, but I got used to using an arcade stick though.
Once I switched to sanwa, I couldn't pull off anything for awhile.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Totally off topic, but it seems like I, in my quest for an Uncharted 3 multiplayer Subway code (that you can only get in the US), I've managed to get an extra one sent to me. So, my question is, do any fellow Canucks or non-US citizens in here that can't otherwise get one/don't have one want it?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Extend hyyyype.

Hoping we hear something about it later today.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Guys, this is gonna sound like me just whining probably, but...I've had a really discouraging past 2 days when it comes to Blazblue. I actually kind of flipped out a little bit and got a bit mad playing Yamada earlier today and acted like a bit of an idiot. The thing is though, I started thinking and I started to feel that maybe I've hit a kind of glass ceiling with things. Like...I started getting less hype about things and less excited about CSX and stuff, even though I'm not going to lie and act like I don't really like Blazblue and haven't since the start.

I just feel like...I should be WAY better at the game than I am, since it sometimes gets to the point where yeah, I'm better at spacing/footsies/guessing now, but I can't even get a silencer combo part off properly online a bunch of the time and I'm dropping combos with random things that beginners would do. I mean, Calamity Trigger came out in 2009, and I've been playing, and playing Noel ever since. Yeah, stick adjustment can affect things, but that only goes for so much.

So, it's like...I kinda feel no matter how many hours I put in, what I try, etc, that I'm never going to wind up being better than I am, and it pisses me off because I feel like I SHOULD be. In other words, I feel I should be at least 5 times better than I am. Hell, I should have Advanced Combos down to where I don't even have to think to get the strings down and to where I have a solid defense wall when someone tries to pressure me with corner escapes that work almost all the time. And heck, I should be able to Haida Loop and opponent from one end of the screen to the other, and back again.

Yeah, I'm rambling, but I dunno, it just really gets to me to find people online who have been playing for like 9 months, 6 months, 4 months, and have them seemingly effortlessly get off all this stuff without even trying while I'm still adjusting on my little old stick here, working on trying to sort out stuff I should have had down pat 18 MONTHS ago. The worst part probably about all of this is that I WANT to get better to be good and I keep working at it so that I can, but I never seem to make progress. So um...anybody ever have this happen or have any advice?

Sorry to but you guys but well, it's just what's going through my mind with it.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Dropping combos in matches happens all the time. You need to work less on your execution in training mode and more on your execution in real matches (or online matches, which I'm told are similar). To do this, start by just going through arcade mode and doing your combos and resets in those scenarios. Then move the difficulty up, then move it up again, then try it out in a real match. The key is to keep practicing in scenarios like these as opposed to just Training Mode or Trial Mode where the computer always does predictable things.

Justin Wong wrote an article on this sort of thing and I'd recommend you take a look at it.

Don't get frustrated with yourself. That's an easy way to become even worse. Just calm down and assure yourself that you can perform just fine in a match. If you begin to doubt yourself, just take a deep breath and let it go.

Man, I've been bringing up Justin Wong a lot lately.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Those combos are sexy. :3c

Try not to get too frustrated, Livewire. I agree with what Gates said. Also, maybe try to take a break from online play? Preferably, you want a sparring partner, or a small group of people you can practice with on a regular basis. Fighting random players online is fine and all, better than fighting no one, but that's too much noise. Too many styles, too many players of varying skill levels, not enough chances to experiment against a particular type of opponent. If I have no one to play with (and I'm talking offline here), more often than not, I won't even bother with online, I'll just pop over to training mode. It's where I spend probably 80% of my time with the game. In fact, the only time I play online is when someone asks me to.

Don't try to improve everything all at once, and don't worry about winning or losing. If you play online, save your replays. Look over your matches and figure out situations you can't beat, or points where you could have done better. Pick out one or two things to improve upon, and work on improving those things. You said that you're dropping combos? It happens to everyone. But it could also be an indication that maybe you're not particularly comfortable with that combo. Grind it out in training mode.

Take things one step at a time. Don't worry about the end result, just worry about righting your mistakes. I hope this helps. <3

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, I'm not going to lie, those Noel Assault Through combos in there actually are pretty hype and damn good damage wise.

I was talking to Minato about a couple of things and he pointed out that if I was dropping combos in actual matches that I could pull off no problem in training mode, it was probably because I wasn't prepared for more than one or two situations to use it so that makes me blank out a bit.

Yeah, I know I shouldn't try to improve everything at once and arcade's a decent place to practice. I'd guess that my thought has been that "practice against anyone is better than no practice at all". I dunno, I've been practicing and playing pretty much every day for a while now since some point in August, so maybe a break from going so hard could help. Also, and I didn't think about it until this week, but I've got about 4 or so people that seem to usually be online playing, a couple of which are from here. I figure if I get it so that I try to practice with relatively the same or similar people that it might work better, kinda like you mentioned, Lythium.

But you guys are probably right, I mean, I actually have replays saved from as far back as 2010 when the disc was on the CS1 patch (to where my replays are actually maxed out and I should go and delete like 2/3 or them) so I'd bet if I went back and watched those, I'd be surprised at the improvement. Who knows though, maybe I just need a bit of time playing something else like the Uncharted 3 demo, or another Mass Effect 2 run to calm me down.

Thanks, guys.

Edit: Also, side note and off topic, but this "CSX Tier list" that got posted at Dustloop is a total "WTF?" moment for me. Like...some of it makes zero sense, lol.

S: Hakumen, Mu-12, Taokaka
A: Platinum, Rachel, Arakune, Litchi, Tager, Valkenhayn
B: Makoto, Ragna, Hazama, Jin, Lambda-11, Noel, Tsubaki
C: Bang, Relius
D: Carl

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Edit: Also, side note and off topic, but this "CSX Tier list" that got posted at Dustloop is a total "WTF?" moment for me. Like...some of it makes zero sense, lol.

S: Hakumen, Mu-12, Taokaka
A: Platinum, Rachel, Arakune, Litchi, Tager, Valkenhayn
B: Makoto, Ragna, Hazama, Jin, Lambda-11, Noel, Tsubaki
C: Bang, Relius
D: Carl

This is probably more of an expectation tier list than a true one. It seems a bit too premature to make a true tier list, doesn't it.

:053:

Thino

Smash Master
LWX , dont get DICEROLL'd by Circuitous too , post Stunedge's list instead

AND as you guys may have guessed , this is more of a first impression list than a actual tier list yea

edit : I mean look at the source Circ posted http://tiamat.spawn.jp/dforum/index.html LMAO

edit2 :

tier-list = BS at this moment

Day1 impression

Really Good: Valk, Ragna, Mu, Hakumen
Strong: Hazama, Bang, Platinum, Relius
Looks interesting: Makoto, Arakune
Ehh: Tsubaki, Jin, Noel
Strange: Tager
No idea: others

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
LWX , dont get DICEROLL'd by Circuitous too , post Stunedge's list instead

AND as you guys may have guessed , this is more of a first impression list than a actual tier list yea

edit : I mean look at the source Circ posted http://tiamat.spawn.jp/dforum/index.html LMAO

edit2 :

tier-list = BS at this moment

Day1 impression

Really Good: Valk, Ragna, Mu, Hakumen
Strong: Hazama, Bang, Platinum, Relius
Looks interesting: Makoto, Arakune
Ehh: Tsubaki, Jin, Noel
Strange: Tager
No idea: others

Yeah, that seemed more accurate, except it seemed he only had solid basis for the "really good ones" as it came across as those and a bit of Relius being the ones he'd played. From "Looks Interesting" to "No Idea" comes across as "they could be anything".

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm surprised about the little amount of information we have on it still. :@

there isn't even a final changes thread, which is what i really want right now.

Top Bottom