• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Sorry I didn't take any money matches guys. I spent my last monies on Quiznos :(

It wasn't until after I was finally eliminated that I started getting challenged anyway. I'll bring a little extra money to Big House 3 for you guys though, but be warned. Doc going to get a whole lot better!

Roller

Smash Legend
did u guys know that smash is fun without even being good? and being good doesn't even make u that much money. why is there so much pressure on self success in the game?
Are you kidding me? If you think top players are doing it for the money... You've been horribly misled.

And if YOU are playing competitively for money, I suggest you either change your perspective or stop playing.

You can work your ass off trying to make $100 on a given weekend, but you'll never be a top player until you don't need to make a buck for doing so.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Tutu is still the best poster in MI.

Also the only reason I go on this site anymore is for the flame wars.

Moooose

Smash Champion
disagree. pro players make millions. that is something you want to succeed in if you can. a pro melee player makes maybe 20k top exlcluding travel and entrance fees. i just think its funny when people take pride in being the best in something that don't matter. i like the game that is why i am here. i suck but that doesn't bother me, i really don't care, i just am interested in the game and the technichalities of it. i care less about who wins. that goes for any game. i still think that its good to be competitive, but no sense in really bragging about how good or bad u are. seems really childish.

there is something of a decent point in here. i've always said that people should not take smash that seriously. you're never going to make a comfortable living from this game. do you really want to live like m2k or mango? no offense but i wouldn't want to be either of them in real life. smash should be a diversion, not a life focus.

that being said, i love this game. you can say it doesn't matter to be good at this game, but i take pride in my victories and accomplishments, and i still hate to lose. it matters as much as you let it matter. it's an amazing feeling to put a lot of work into a game, and to be rewarded for it.

there is something of a decent point in here. i've always said that people should not take smash that seriously. you're never going to make a comfortable living from this game. do you really want to live like m2k or mango? no offense but i wouldn't want to be either of them in real life. smash should be a diversion, not a life focus.

that being said, i love this game. you can say it doesn't matter to be good at this game, but i take pride in my victories and accomplishments, and i still hate to lose. it matters as much as you let it matter. it's an amazing feeling to put a lot of work into a game, and to be rewarded for it.

The thing is moose, not a single player in MI is trying to make a living off of smash. Thax just kind of said that with no basis lol.

D

Deleted member

If you can make money from a hobby then have at it, Hoss.

If you're looking to make a living off of a video game then you're playing the wrong one.

Moooose

Smash Champion
yea i understand. mi already pretty much already embodies what i'm talking about (at least for melee, i have no idea about brawl). that's why players are so chill here.

W.C.N

Smash Lord
maybe you havent followed recent laws being passed but it kind of is now...

on another note...

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
I think most of us who play smash have lost a lot more than we've made. Who gives a rats left nut about making money on this game? Even evo only paid out like what, 5 grand to mango? (shot in the dark) Something like that.. So if that is going to be what you put all of your effort into, good luck making a good living. I'm not good enough to make money on it, so I played in high school, and kind of stopped in college. Now I have a degree and I'm getting back into it. It is a hobby, and playing it as a living would ruin it for me, personally. Money is effed anyway, am I right? Live your life for money, go ahead, but it wont make you happier. It is all about the community meet ups, and playing with people who care about the game, not about the money.

Kind of why I don't play many MMs. The other reason is that I'd probably lose anyway.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Well I guess my point is, if you're hypothetically a top player who has lost passion for Smash but you still play it primarily for money, I think you'd spend way less effort (and produce way more money) by simply going out and getting a job.

JTsm

Smash Master
Yeah that's a good point. It's usually just a one day thing. Banking on Nationals is just too risky imo. lol

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Shibbyfest tonight in Midland. I know how far it is from most of you guys, but I promise if you show up you'll have fun. Message me or find my event Shib-Bi-Weekly on fb

Top Bottom