• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

W.C.N

Smash Lord
chibo really needed to adjust zeros camera so you could see his face during the end

JTsm

Smash Master
Um to be real though, there is a lot of tech skill in brawl. The only like real change of tech skill from melee to brawl was the removal of wavedashing, and the change from L_Cancelling to auto cancelling.

Wavedashing in melee serves teh same purpose of walking in brawl, its a spacing tool. The only thign wavedashign was useful in melee that can't be applied to brawl is punishing moves with wavedash out of shield, but with the general power of shields in brawl you can punish without it, unlike i nmelee where virtually everythign was safe on shield unless they wavedashed out of it. I personally find that quite silly, why is there such a major penalty for blocking? If it wasn't for a glitch shield would have virtually no use in competitive melee lol. Like i guess it's cooler to watch a game where people are just flying al over the place, but outside of like the really top level, melee matches are watching two people autopilot tech skill back and forth. Personally i find watching two people who are putting close to no thought into a game quite boring to watch, but thats personal preference.

L_cancelling is stupid by reason that there is never a good reason not to do it, therefore its somethign that should be done automatically. The only defense anyone has ever said to me about this is that at mango level play you can mess with your opponents L_Cancel timing by (if i remember correctly) tilting yoru shield in a certain way. But the thing abotu auto cancelling is that it only applies suring certain windows of moves, and in brawl hitting some1's shield it extends the move duration, which in effect allows you to mess with their auto cancel timing depending on when you shield a move. Not that it's all that neccesary because only a few moves are safe on block to begin with. But in effect it's still there.

The next things I'm going to list are what i believe to be brawl specfifc tech skills, although they may be in melee, for all intensive purposes they would never see any real value in competitve play.

Instant throwing-catchign an item and throwing it back the frame you catch it. Obviously that sounds pretty lame and useless on its own, but it's pretty muchalwys happeneing in mid>high level matches that involve an item character(diddy kong/snake). and is actually pretty essential to learn in order to do well in the diddy MU.

Platform cancelling.
Jumping through a moving platform, and cancelling your jump halfway through to phase you onto said platform. This is a really useful tech by nature that at least 80% if tournament sets go to smashville for at least one game, and a few other stages have movign platforms as well. It allows slow grounded characters a fast way to traverse the entirety of smashville within 3 seconds, making fullscreen camping a more risky option.

Momentum cancelling and sdi
Sdi wa sin melee, but its significantly more affluent in brawl. I'm lazy and ahte finding videos, but go look google search "Mr.Doom's DI" and you'll find a youtubr video full of crazy *** DI which doesn't even make sense half the time. Momentum cancelling is the thing that makes it so people live forever, and makes the game seem like there is no hitstun since you can attack out of tumble animation and start fast falling to slow your launch speed off stage. Then there are characters like Game and Watch who have a move that stops momentum all together turning him into a character that you have to kill before he can nair and bucket.

Theres also a bunch of character specific techs, like zelda/sheik's transform glide and love jumps, bowsers infite koopa claw, metaknight ledge cancelling drill rush, everything yoshi does etc.

Basically while brawl may no tbe a flashy game, it has plently of unique advanced techniques that should be mastered fi you have any intent to play it serously. I think some people may have been a bit too harsh over you stating that as why you find the game boring, but I can understand its slow paced, almost zero flash, and wasn't designed to be played competitievly. I can't fault anybody for dislking a game, but before you label a game as having no techs, do your research first please.
Quoting just for people who missed this.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
Quoting just for people who missed this.
i juz read it and its very informative, but it still doesn't change the fact that even if brawl has some technical skills that they are not all that difficult to pull off. u could still consider autocancel technical but flicking the cstick down with the joypad held up is something a baby can do. anyways i think melee techs are harder to perform and worth mentioning as a technical game.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
i juz read it and its very informative, but it still doesn't change the fact that even if brawl has some technical skills that they are not all that difficult to pull off. u could still consider autocancel technical but flicking the cstick down with the joypad held up is something a baby can do. anyways i think melee techs are harder to perform and worth mentioning as a technical game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXd1jQVlAUo

see that.

There's ton of things that most melee players don't understand about Brawl. Proof is, when they play it, they try to rush in and try to 'combo' instead of just going for reads. Brawl is like 95% based off reads since there's barely any combos where melee is like 1 read, full combos at most.

Different game, if you don't like it just keep your mouth shut about it because even if you play the more technical game, you're still ignorant as **** when it comes to Brawl, the game takes tons of skills, it just doesn't look like it.

Um, real talk it took me 15 minutes to learn how to wavedash, and probably 3 days of decent playign to learn how to L_Cancel, when I was 15. Tech skill shouldnt be measured by the difficulty of things to pull off, thats just arbitrary nonsense.

But on the subject of difficulty, 20 dollars says you can't do sheik's dacus 5 times in the time it takes me to do any 3 techs of your choosing 5 times in melee

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
cool cool, thanks ori. yeah, I remember you too L. does ally live around here now? I see hotarms, tutu, juggle, and thax around here as well.

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
SCOTU retired tho

Oh, and Jungle is in IL.

Those are the only people in MI Melee who AREN'T active, afaik

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
You know a community is doing well when you inquire as to who is retired from that community and receive just four names in return, two of which are actually still playing and one of which is living in another state.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Please. Not only is the legendary Warlock Don still playing, he's still busy getting bodied by the JuggleGanon in dittos.

exJ0RDANary

Smash Cadet
Alright so.. Hi, First of all. My name's Jordan.
I'm not positive that this is the best place for this, so I'm sorry in advance if I should be looking elsewhere.
... So I love Smash. Who doesn't right? I've been playing it relentlessly for all of the 14 years that its existed. I'd say that I'm pretty good, but I'm not as good as I could be, or should be after havng played it so much. I try like crazy to get better, but my problem is that I don't know anybody I can play with who isn't significantly worse than me, and playing online really isn't an option with the internet service that's available where I live. At a certain point it's no longer helpful to dominate lvl 9 CPU's.
Basically, this a plea for Smash Bros. Companionship. I live in Mt. Morris, just north of Flint. From what I've gathered the bulk of the Michigan Smash community is in Ann Arbor, which is only about 50 minutes from me. If there is anybody in the general area who'd also like someone to challenge them to grow as a competitive Smash player, please, please let me know.
I'm pretty sure I'm not a dirtbag, and the general population's response to my pesonality makes it seem like most people don't think I'm an asshole. I'm 24. I own my own house, so there's no akward parents situations.
Also, I drew that Waluigi right there. So you should be my friend.:cool:
PM me if you're interested.

fZk

Smash Lord
Alright so.. Hi, First of all. My name's Jordan.
I'm not positive that this is the best place for this, so I'm sorry in advance if I should be looking elsewhere.
... So I love Smash. Who doesn't right? I've been playing it relentlessly for all of the 14 years that its existed. I'd say that I'm pretty good, but I'm not as good as I could be, or should be after havng played it so much. I try like crazy to get better, but my problem is that I don't know anybody I can play with who isn't significantly worse than me, and playing online really isn't an option with the internet service that's available where I live. At a certain point it's no longer helpful to dominate lvl 9 CPU's.
Basically, this a plea for Smash Bros. Companionship. I live in Mt. Morris, just north of Flint. From what I've gathered the bulk of the Michigan Smash community is in Ann Arbor, which is only about 50 minutes from me. If there is anybody in the general area who'd also like someone to challenge them to grow as a competitive Smash player, please, please let me know.
I'm pretty sure I'm not a dirtbag, and the general population's response to my pesonality makes it seem like most people don't think I'm an *******. I'm 24. I own my own house, so there's no akward parents situations.
Also, I drew that Waluigi right there. So you should be my friend.:cool:
PM me if you're interested.

Not a dirtbag you say? You're now ahead of half the MI community.

I like this guy already.

exJ0RDANary

Smash Cadet
Not a dirtbag you say? You're now ahead of half the MI community.

I like this guy already.
I'm pretty sure at least. I don't want anybody to be dissapointed when it turns out I am, in their opinion, a dirtbag. Then claim that I promised otherwise.

Top Bottom