• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
What does that have to do with the community sucking though? You stated "this place sux" just because you aren't interested in the game anymore doesn't mean that the game or community sucks. Game got old and stale? When you are losing to me you should realize that you need to put more effort into the game. I see no relation to any type of fighting game to speed running or racking up exp. Each match is different because everyone has their own play style. I feel like you are just saying the game/community sucks is because you are not good and just expected to body people. It's the realization that you actually need to work to get better at something that possibly sets you back as a player. Also incorporating drinking/smoking with brawl helps a ton like drdn posted.

I really do enjoy how you say brawl has no tech skill. It may not have as much as most fighters and it is more about spacing and such but I find that comment ridiculous. Like I said, just because you have 0 to no tech skill in this game doesn't mean it has no tech skill at all. Like I stated earlier in my post, when you start losing to a player like me you are just not good at the game/don't spend enough time learning the tech skills. The game wasn't designed to be competitive, just because it wasn't designed to be doesn't mean it can't be competitive...

tl;dr: you are bad at this game and you shouldn't talk **** about it since you don't know what you are doing.
i think u beat me 1 out of 3 games, but ok? i also haven't picked up the stupid game in 3 years.
if u been playing for so long u shouldn't have lost, also the game sux regardless if i win or not.
i won a planet x tournament when i played the stupid game, what more do i have to prove?
the game sux and i dont even care to type an essay about why the community sux cuz the game sux. i got nuttin else ta say. nobody that played in 08 still plays. nobody.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
i think u beat me 1 out of 3 games, but ok? i also haven't picked up the stupid game in 3 years.
if u been playing for so long u shouldn't have lost, also the game sux regardless if i win or not.
i won a planet x tournament when i played the stupid game, what more do i have to prove?
the game sux and i dont even care to type an essay about why the community sux cuz the game sux. i got nuttin else ta say. nobody that played in 08 still plays. nobody.
Sorry I was playing like pikachu and falco against you man (i.e. characters i don't even play.) I don't enjoy just ****** scrubs.
Who was at that tournament? Probably no one.
Community sucks because your bad at the game and don't understand it? Man that logic.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
Sorry I was playing like pikachu and falco against you man (i.e. characters i don't even play.) I don't enjoy just ****** scrubs.
Who was at that tournament? Probably no one.
Community sucks because your bad at the game and don't understand it? Man that logic.
you played snake and marth dude. what r u talking about?
anyways it doesnt matter, i dont even feel like arguing.
and people better than you were there.

Um to be real though, there is a lot of tech skill in brawl. The only like real change of tech skill from melee to brawl was the removal of wavedashing, and the change from L_Cancelling to auto cancelling.

Wavedashing in melee serves teh same purpose of walking in brawl, its a spacing tool. The only thign wavedashign was useful in melee that can't be applied to brawl is punishing moves with wavedash out of shield, but with the general power of shields in brawl you can punish without it, unlike i nmelee where virtually everythign was safe on shield unless they wavedashed out of it. I personally find that quite silly, why is there such a major penalty for blocking? If it wasn't for a glitch shield would have virtually no use in competitive melee lol. Like i guess it's cooler to watch a game where people are just flying al over the place, but outside of like the really top level, melee matches are watching two people autopilot tech skill back and forth. Personally i find watching two people who are putting close to no thought into a game quite boring to watch, but thats personal preference.

L_cancelling is stupid by reason that there is never a good reason not to do it, therefore its somethign that should be done automatically. The only defense anyone has ever said to me about this is that at mango level play you can mess with your opponents L_Cancel timing by (if i remember correctly) tilting yoru shield in a certain way. But the thing abotu auto cancelling is that it only applies suring certain windows of moves, and in brawl hitting some1's shield it extends the move duration, which in effect allows you to mess with their auto cancel timing depending on when you shield a move. Not that it's all that neccesary because only a few moves are safe on block to begin with. But in effect it's still there.

The next things I'm going to list are what i believe to be brawl specfifc tech skills, although they may be in melee, for all intensive purposes they would never see any real value in competitve play.

Instant throwing-catchign an item and throwing it back the frame you catch it. Obviously that sounds pretty lame and useless on its own, but it's pretty muchalwys happeneing in mid>high level matches that involve an item character(diddy kong/snake). and is actually pretty essential to learn in order to do well in the diddy MU.

Platform cancelling.
Jumping through a moving platform, and cancelling your jump halfway through to phase you onto said platform. This is a really useful tech by nature that at least 80% if tournament sets go to smashville for at least one game, and a few other stages have movign platforms as well. It allows slow grounded characters a fast way to traverse the entirety of smashville within 3 seconds, making fullscreen camping a more risky option.

Momentum cancelling and sdi
Sdi wa sin melee, but its significantly more affluent in brawl. I'm lazy and ahte finding videos, but go look google search "Mr.Doom's DI" and you'll find a youtubr video full of crazy ass DI which doesn't even make sense half the time. Momentum cancelling is the thing that makes it so people live forever, and makes the game seem like there is no hitstun since you can attack out of tumble animation and start fast falling to slow your launch speed off stage. Then there are characters like Game and Watch who have a move that stops momentum all together turning him into a character that you have to kill before he can nair and bucket.

Theres also a bunch of character specific techs, like zelda/sheik's transform glide and love jumps, bowsers infite koopa claw, metaknight ledge cancelling drill rush, everything yoshi does etc.

Basically while brawl may no tbe a flashy game, it has plently of unique advanced techniques that should be mastered fi you have any intent to play it serously. I think some people may have been a bit too harsh over you stating that as why you find the game boring, but I can understand its slow paced, almost zero flash, and wasn't designed to be played competitievly. I can't fault anybody for dislking a game, but before you label a game as having no techs, do your research first please.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
yeah i musta been cuz i actually havent played brawl in 5 years since after 08 summer where i only played the stupid game for 4 months in total. im so ******** for thinking 3 years. my bad.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
needs more pizza imo

calling a community **** because a game is **** is really... dumb, yeah that is probably the word, especially if you haven't even bothered to implement yourself into the community and be a part of that. i can understand that a distaste for a game would make you not want to do that, but ****ting on the local community that is basically going to permeate both games--- and by that i mean Brawl and Smash 4 (4/5 if you include PM/64/Melee) is questionable at best.

for the record, i absolutely detest playing brawl competitively now, however, i completely respect the players that put their time into it and i have nothing but love for the players that i have met and gotten to know over the years of playing and being around it.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
needs more pizza imo

calling a community **** because a game is **** is really... dumb, yeah that is probably the word, especially if you haven't even bothered to implement yourself into the community and be a part of that. i can understand that a distaste for a game would make you not want to do that, but ****ting on the local community that is basically going to permeate both games--- and by that i mean Brawl and Smash 4 (4/5 if you include PM/64/Melee) is questionable at best.

for the record, i absolutely detest playing brawl competitively now, however, i completely respect the players that put their time into it and i have nothing but love for the players that i have met and gotten to know over the years of playing and being around it.
what u dont realize is these same players wont be around next year. i been here since 07 and i have literally seen the michigan smash scene players come and go by the numbers. like i said, this community sux and its largely because the game can't stay competitive.
type paragraphs if u wish, but im not trolling just stating the facts.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Since I got into the scene in 2010 I want to say about 50% of the players I met still attend tournaments.

You sir are just an idiot. You seem to not grasp to the fact that this community is actually awesome but you just haven't been around. You have been to one smashfest since coming back to the scene and you think you know it all. You are just being ignorant right now. These "facts" you are stating don't actually hold up in any sort of debate or argument. Just because people have other things to do in their life doesn't mean the community is trash.. That doesn't make the game not competitive... Like holy **** you are just a full blown ****** if you think that your logic is correct.

And the next time we play I will actually try against you no problem. As I stated before I don't like ****** scrubs in this game. And please, give me some names of the tournament you won, just because you won a library tournament doesn't mean you where actually good at the game (yeah I am looking at you too tutu :denzel:.)

zyth

Smash Lord
I won one of those :denzel:

but dude you were at 1 SF and you didn't really engage with as many ppl as you could there or try to have a good time. you kinda sat there and got in a match when it was open. if you had been to a stewy fest maybe it woulda been better(no offense tech) since the basement is bigger and ppl have more games going on and we bust out other games besides smash as well. we also usualy go on 5-10 man food runs and ppl have a good time playing a video games in a big basement.

and honestly most of the ppl that started playing brawl as soon as it came out are still playing it competitively. most of the ones who stopped are those who came in halfway or got better things to do with their personal lives. Or those who only saw this as a way of making money and never made any. if your any of the above I can see why your upset.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
well i dont see lain, noj, and of the wixom kids, samuraipanda, rofa, vayseth, anther, etc. around. these are all the people i used to play/travel with. i know dope still plays melee, but i dont think he even plays brawl anymore. everyone from 2010 on are people i never met so what do u expect? only person really here since 08 is hot arms, but i think thats jus cuz he has nuttin better to do. and neither do i until school starts.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
well i dont see lain, noj, and of the wixom kids, samuraipanda, rofa, vayseth, anther, etc. around. these are all the people i used to play/travel with. i know dope still plays melee, but i dont think he even plays brawl anymore. everyone from 2010 on are people i never met so what do u expect? only person really here since 08 is hot arms, but i think thats jus cuz he has nuttin better to do. and neither do i until school starts.
Lain has told me he has interest coming back into the scene. Last time I seen NoJ was at a West Bloofield tourny in 2011(?) but has moved on and doing good in life. SamuraiPanda is pretty much a doctor or still studying to become one and has no time, the last tournament I seen him at was last year. Rofa lives in cali now. Vayseth lives in Japan and when he came to visit he went to a tourny. Anther has pretty much just stopped playing and moved on with his life. Hot arms is just a scrub :yeahboi:. Like most of these people have just moved on with there life and dropped the not because the scene wasn't competitive enough.

And like Zyth said you where pretty much just there at the smashfest. Didn't really do much or talk to anyone. That is why I am just so taken back as to why you tell everyone the community sucks. Like for real?..

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
i talked to a few ppl. that doesnt matter if i talk to people or play with them its just the fact that everyone has migrated away from the game. like i said though, nobody still plays from back in 08. i cant name one person. everyone now is 2010-after. the thing is u guys wont even be around probably in 2 yrs from now. i can already tell. its not your fault, its the game. smash 4 has to be good or it will be inevitable.

What's The Point

Smash Master
Here's what I got from Zinoto.

Ally/Zinoto 1st blah blah

LOE1 beat Bizkit, lost to Vinnie, and is waiting to do LFs against probably Bizkit.

Oblivion beat DeLux first round then lost to DeLux in losers, probably in LSF so 4th seed.

Roller got 3rd?

Stewy and Ksev drowned.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Ally (1st seed) - W: Gildo, ScaryLB59,xzax
Zinoto (1st seed) - W: Twigz, JaZz, Vex
Roller (2nd seed) - W: CaptainMango11, Kai, Chibo, Shadow
L: SuperMarioMC
LOE1 (2nd seed) - W: Afroman, Bizkit (x2)
L: Vinnie
Oblivion (4th seed) - W: Delux, Biddy
L: Mikeray, Delux
Stewyian (Drowned) - W: Sagero Sirius, Reslived
L: Nick Riddle, Raptor
Ksev (Drowned) - W: Falculus, Stockfield
L: Pwii, Seibrik

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
every time i come to this thread it's brawl vs melee
u guys just need to grow up and play project m :denzel: :yeahboi:

W.C.N

Smash Lord
So the community sucks because its not full of people from 7 years ago? That's a long time and I'm sure lain will be at ps5?6? Idk the next one because everyone goes to ps'

@zyth was 3 setups for brawl not enough? And pm was there too,

The food runs took place also did you not go on one?

Top Bottom