• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

What's The Point

Smash Master
Everyone going to EL should just go to mason when they can. We'll go either after Zinoto finishes that stuff he does or after Gio is done with work assuming he is working.

Dekrem

Smash Cadet
Incoming Olimar Main Oh NOOOOOOO!

Hey folks, soon-to-be Ann Arbor resident here. I'm coming to U of M for grad school in August, so I figure I might as well get acquainted with the local smashers before I make the big move.

I'm a Brawl player who likes to play Olimar. I'm...okay at him, I guess (and on top of that, I've become rusty on top of that over the past year and a half), so I'm looking forward to improve as a player with some top players in the area.

I see there are different venues people regularly meet up for smashing, but it isn't clear for all of them whether they're 64, melee, or brawl-exclusive. Can anyone tell me where the brawl meetups in Ann Arbor are?

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
Brawl meetups in Ann arbor are at mason hall, its a Uofm building so you'll know where it is one you're actually here.

Where are you from and what you studying?

Also, welcome! (although you're an oli main, dudes broken)

:phone:

Dekrem

Smash Cadet
Brawl meetups in Ann arbor are at mason hall, its a Uofm building so you'll know where it is one you're actually here.
Nice! My classes will be in that general area. Is there a regular schedule for when Mason Hall peoples meet? Like, do they do nights or weekends?

Where are you from and what you studying?
I'm from a suburb near Philly, and I'm coming to Michigan to study Information, specializing in Human-Computer Interaction (i.e. I get to be professionally nitpicky about user interfaces).

Also, welcome! (although you're an oli main, dudes broken)
Pshhhh, weird characters are awesome ('cept for the easily-gimpable thing).

kd-

Smash Lord
My reaction:

Hey folks, soon-to-be Ann Arbor resident here. I'm coming to U of M for grad school in August, so I figure I might as well get acquainted with the local smashers before I make the big move.
Cool! Awesome!

I'm a Brawl player
Awwww......

Nonetheless, welcome! No matter the game or skill level, Michigan wants to play with you. Ann Arbor's smash scene, both melee and brawl, ramps up during the school year. Otherwise in Ann Arbor there'll occasionally be a mixed game Masonfest (Mason Hall is a building on campus) with brawl and melee. Not too far out of Ann Arbor people will throw smashfests at their places, where you can ride out there yourself or ask for a ride since some will go through Ann Arbor to get there.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
during the school year we play at night when everyones done with classes. Theres no set schedule in terms of what days of the week. Usually its just word of mouth starting with "yo does anyone wanna smash?" and it snowballs from there. So basically if you wanna smash just ask and most likely people will play.

And you're from philly, do you know thunderst0rm? Or are you new to the competitive scene? (you have 3 posts thats why i ask lol)

Dekrem

Smash Cadet
during the school year we play at night when everyones done with classes. Theres no set schedule in terms of what days of the week. Usually its just word of mouth starting with "yo does anyone wanna smash?" and it snowballs from there. So basically if you wanna smash just ask and most likely people will play.
Okay, nice. Hopefully, if registration goes well, I'll have my nights free.

And you're from philly, do you know thunderst0rm? Or are you new to the competitive scene? (you have 3 posts thats why i ask lol)
I'm pretty casual. When I was at Penn State for college, there was a big group of brawlers I played with regularly (stock and no items, but also no edge-hogging), but since graduating, I honestly haven't played much, and I don't travel to Philly all that often.

But yeah, no, I don't know thunderst0rm.

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Welcome to the MI smash scene, Dekrem! Ann Arbor is usually where all of the smash happens, and a lot of our top players players are from there, so you'll get some good practice ^_^

Dekrem

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the welcome, guys!

So are other Olimar mains in the area I can learn from? I predict I'll need a lot of training keeping from getting gimped/edgehogged if I want my matches to last longer than a minute, for example. (:p)

Roller

Smash Legend

I'm a Brawl player who likes to play Olimar. I'm...okay at him, I guess (and on top of that, I've become rusty on top of that over the past year and a half), so I'm looking forward to improve as a player with some top players in the area.

I see there are different venues people regularly meet up for smashing, but it isn't clear for all of them whether they're 64, melee, or brawl-exclusive. Can anyone tell me where the brawl meetups in Ann Arbor are?
Hey! Welcome to the group! =]

Ignore most of what Hot_ArmS said.. And continue to do that for the duration of your time in AA.

We play in a lot of places. Mason Hall is one, but we play more often at people's apartments/dorms. Last year there were mini smashfests in West Quad, The Videogame Archive aka gameroom [granted as far as I know smash is still banned there now (except on Fridays) after the melee players began getting too rambunctious.], THuGz's Northwood apartment, South Quad, and yeah Mason Hall. People are usually playing somewhere in AA ~4-6 days a week.

As long as you don't have an unwarranted ego right off the bat and are willing to learn, you'll fit in really well.

Basically, when you meet Zinoto. Act like him. When you meet THuGz... Don't act like him.

EDIT: You can also feel free to have a smashfest at your place. People will come. I had people over to play ~3-4 times a week last semester.

Dekrem

Smash Cadet
Hey! Welcome to the group! =]

Ignore most of what Hot_ArmS said.. And continue to do that for the duration of your time in AA.

We play in a lot of places. Mason Hall is one, but we play more often at people's apartments/dorms. Last year there were mini smashfests in West Quad, The Videogame Archive aka gameroom [granted as far as I know smash is still banned there now (except on Fridays) after the melee players began getting too rambunctious.],
THuGz's Northwood apartment, South Quad, and yeah Mason Hall. People are usually playing somewhere in AA ~4-6 days a week.
Awesome!

As long as you don't have an unwarranted ego right off the bat and are willing to learn, you'll fit in really well.
That shouldn't be a problem. (:D)

Top Bottom