• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

okiyama

Smash Ace
lols will do. I hear that the FSmash is good too.

Meh, I need someone to play with though, I'm getting rusty from too much melee, much less against computers.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
doesnt any1 who lives near Bay City go to tourneys T_T my mom has breast cancer and my dad dont pay chil support so drivers training isnt exactly in question atm -_-

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Back in Ann Arbor, and the apartment's looking pretty nice. We've got 3 smashers living in here, so we're pretty much always going to be open to smashing with peoples. We even have an open parking spot, which is awesome. I dunno about holding smashfests and stuff though. Its not the biggest place, but once we rearrange the furniture I'm sure we'll be able to figure more stuff out.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Yeah sure, you're free to come up whenever you feel like it. We're right next to Get Your Game On, just two buildings over. Its a nice location imo.

Btw, I'm trying to drop Snake. I'm on the hunt for a new main.

Vayseth

Smash Master
PT! Main PT! If not PT I'd main a high tier for sure. Meta or G+W are probably the best bets because they have the most advantageous match ups and don't suck in doubles. Marth wouldn't be bad either (since he has the same qualities) other than the fact that he's... MARTH. =(

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Rofl, I don't really care about tiers. They're so undefined right now. A character everyone thinks is mediocre can become really good in the right hands. Take, for example, Anther. If there were no Anther, then Pikachu would probably be much lower in the tier list than he is now. I'd rather just play whoever feels the most natural and fun to me, then become as good as I possibly can. We'll see what happens from there :D

Vayseth

Smash Master
Rofl, I don't really care about tiers. They're so undefined right now. A character everyone thinks is mediocre can become really good in the right hands. Take, for example, Anther. If there were no Anther, then Pikachu would probably be much lower in the tier list than he is now. I'd rather just play whoever feels the most natural and fun to me, then become as good as I possibly can. We'll see what happens from there :D
I don't know about that. While I agree that any character in the right hands will do well, it is also true that there are SIGNIFICANT hurdles certain characters must overcome that are simply a non-issue with higher tiered characters. Some characters have good move sets but god awful recoveries. Some characters are awesome at racking damage but cannot kill. Some characters are Metaknight.

As for Pikachu, his main problem is that he can have trouble killing, especially for those of us who play Anther regularly and get out of Pika's stuff. However, he has relatively low lag on all of his moves, a WONDERFUL recovery, one of the best projectiles in the game, is small and therefore hard to hit, chain grabs on a lot of the cast, one of the top characters in terms of comboability and racking dmg, and some of the most dynamic movement this game has to offer. While Anther has helped the community significantly understand Pikachu's total potential and we have therefore placed him higher on tier lists, the fact remains that he has many advantageous match ups, not many bad ones and has all the other pros I just listed. Pika is *MUCH* better than many of the characters and I think we would have come to that conclusion anyway.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Pokémon Trainer is a terrible character (in current ruleset) and no REAL friend would ever recommend someone to main him.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I don't know about that. While I agree that any character in the right hands will do well, it is also true that there are SIGNIFICANT hurdles certain characters must overcome that are simply a non-issue with higher tiered characters. Some characters have good move sets but god awful recoveries. Some characters are awesome at racking damage but cannot kill. Some characters are Metaknight.

As for Pikachu, his main problem is that he can have trouble killing, especially for those of us who play Anther regularly and get out of Pika's stuff. However, he has relatively low lag on all of his moves, a WONDERFUL recovery, one of the best projectiles in the game, is small and therefore hard to hit, chain grabs on a lot of the cast, one of the top characters in terms of comboability and racking dmg, and some of the most dynamic movement this game has to offer. While Anther has helped the community significantly understand Pikachu's total potential and we have therefore placed him higher on tier lists, the fact remains that he has many advantageous match ups, not many bad ones and has all the other pros I just listed. Pika is *MUCH* better than many of the characters and I think we would have come to that conclusion anyway.
All you really did was list of Pika's advantages, and if I were to do that I could even make Captain Falcon look awesome. The thing is, Anther was able to show people that Pikachu can combo and rack damage. Anther was able to demonstrate how to beat certain characters that I'm sure other Pika mains thought were counters. As a Snake player, I find ROB fairly easy to play against (as long as it isn't OS). Yet ROB is thought of as one of Snake's hardest matchups. If people were to perhaps study my matches as I'm sure people study Anther's matches, then that perception could easily change. Many things aren't set in stone yet in this game. Things like matchups can be dealt with and changed over time. Weaknesses can be covered by strengths and there will be future players that will radically change perception of a character, years into the game. ICs weren't that great until Chu Dat showed everyone how to use them. Metaknight wasn't broken until Forte started showing people how to play him, so M2K picked him up and things started snowballing from there.

Basically, I'm just trying to say that general tier placement is mostly just perception at the time. Of course, the highest tiers are always the most accurate, but as you go lower the tier lists get less and less accurate. So I don't let those kinds of things bother me when I'm trying to choose a main. If I end up maining a top tier, then so be it. If I end up choosing someone near the bottom, then thats the way it is. Enjoyment of a character comes from multiple things. One of which is actually winning with the character. So I'm sure whoever I end up with is someone I actually win with from time to time.

EDIT: Btw, I think PT would be infinitely better if the games were 2 stock. He has one bad, one good, and one even matchup for like every character in the game. If he could skip the bad one then he'd be sooo much better. So a ruleset can actually help PT out quite a bit :D

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
PT would be more viable in pools with 2-stock because you won't be playing the mandatory weak Pokémon in close games. But that's about it.

Anther

Smash Champion
People NEVER came to that conclusion in Melee VayVay, and Pika was much better than the majority of the cast in that game IMO, and look where his final position on the tier list was ;p.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
As for Pikachu, his main problem is that he can have trouble killing
What. WHAT. I play Sheik. You played Captain Falcon for some gods-know-why reason. You're saying PIKACHU is at a low in terms of killing power?

Zelow

Smash Apprentice
wow lol i stop posting for like maybe 4 days maybe more lol but i get buried under 3 pages lol ( just so you guys know i see 100 posts per page lol).

So where are all the melee players at? anyone interested in some smash out in the mad heights lol (aka madison heights) ill even bust out some brawl but im not very good lol. Just hit me up with a pm or sumthing repling works too.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
oh snap im a win that

thatll like pay for every tourney id enter in a year

which id win more money from those tourneys

zommggg the possibilities are endless

>.<

Zelow

Smash Apprentice
lol school i aint need not no dang skool men i r is isszt smarters so hehaehha

any whos is sonic like really good in brawl or what i have been playing brawl lately and it seems like he is just awesome!

What. WHAT. I play Sheik. You played Captain Falcon for some gods-know-why reason. You're saying PIKACHU is at a low in terms of killing power?
WHOA are you trying to say sheik and captain CAPTAIN!!!! CAPTAIN!!!!! has low killing power? let me guess marth too? maybe jiggs? or are we talking about brawl? cuz if we are i retract my statement.

Also just to add if we are talking about brawl nobody has kill power lol its gimp or be gimped

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Sonic is 4th from the bottom in the tier list we released IIRC. And yeah, we were talking about Brawl.

Top Bottom