• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

JTsm

Smash Master
Ori: VeryMad/10

Roller: Sure/10. LOL morals.... psh.

For Youma, I have a room with just me and Ori. We can add in 4 more peeps. $25 each.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
dont get girlfriends or read books. play smash. i do both and im too busy and life sucks.

play mtg though. Mtg tourneys are 100x more fun then smash. And more rewarding. The tourney i went to today, even if you got dead last you walked out the door with 8 booster packs and the entrance fee was $25 which is less than the cost of 8 boosters -.-

with smash i donate $25 to zinoto every tournament and get nothing in the end.

lordys is only ~50 minutes from east lansing so it wont be a bad drive fyi

Ridley Silverlake

Smash Apprentice
You're dating the wrong girl if life sucks. The best girlfriends will sit right down and do what you love with you...games, movies, outdoorsy things, you name it. Or they'll at least make an attempt to learn or appreciate what you like as long as you don't pour ALL of your time into it which is fair. ^.^

What is mtg?

Roller

Smash Legend
Magic is by far the best game I've ever played.

I miss going to M:tG tourneys a lot, but the game is just WAY too expensive to play at the level I was playing it at. The #1 DCI ranked player in NJ goes to our local shop, we all had the top decks and invested absurd majorities of our time, finances, and mental faculties on it. Reading every article on magicthegathering.com, starcitygames.com, mtgfanatic.com, etc every day; and watching streams of Pro Tours or a Grand Prix every weekend that you weren't traveling to a tourney like States or Regionals or whatever.

The reason I picked up smash is because while you may be giving Zinoto $10 each weekend, at least you aren't investing hundreds every month and constantly being required to learn new metagames (smash metagame advances much slower).

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
It's hard to compare competitive cardboard to competitive vidgames (for reasons Roller already touched on) but I will agree that Magic is a lot of fun, even if you just play the more casual formats (yo EDH)

Also I cannot see the appeal of watching a livestream of a cardgame. There's just not enough happening for that to keep my attention.

Roller

Smash Legend
Well M:tG actually has professionalized commentary by former pros now working for Wizards of the Coast. It's leagues beyond most other games commentary. The insight you get into the possible plays players can make, why they choose certain options, what they need to topdeck, and the role of the metagame on their specific choices for deck design and sideboard tech is all really helpful to players looking to improve. And really interesting to boot.

What's The Point

Smash Master
If you play MtG the streams are boring gibber gabber. And unlike video game streams there isn't a video game to watch. Just hands moving cards every.now and then.

Roller

Smash Legend
Do you mean if you don't play M:tG?

If so you're absolutely correct. They are aimed to help players who already have a grasp on competitive play to get better. Not aimed to masses the same way MvC streams can be.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Well M:tG actually has professionalized commentary by former pros now working for Wizards of the Coast. It's leagues beyond most other games commentary. The insight you get into the possible plays players can make, why they choose certain options, what they need to topdeck, and the role of the metagame on their specific choices for deck design and sideboard tech is all really helpful to players looking to improve. And really interesting to boot.
The Pokémon TCG has a group that does this. The Top Cut. They are all National level players who have gone to the World Championships numerous times. Its really nice to see that TCGs are beginning to utilize streams.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
roller thats a good reason and i agree with you. Magic is way more fun all in all but yeah its more expensive. If you can afford to play mtg and keep up with the metagame its hella fun but otherwise it just makes you sad -.- too bad wizards had to go make mythics and break my wallet

magic streams kinda suck. Its hard to see anything -.- plus you definitely cant be casual and watch, you have to be really familiar with all the cards.

EDH is TOO GOOD. I broke EDH with the most unfair commander imaginable.

the pokemon tcg is not even 1% of what the mtg competitive scene is sorry ori lol. Im sure its fun for you and thats cool but its not even comparable.

JTsm

Smash Master
Welp, I played Ridley. She's not bad, but her DI could be better. We were beating each other, but I think she had more wins.

fZk

Smash Lord
roller thats a good reason and i agree with you. Magic is way more fun all in all but yeah its more expensive. If you can afford to play mtg and keep up with the metagame its hella fun but otherwise it just makes you sad -.- too bad wizards had to go make mythics and break my wallet

magic streams kinda suck. Its hard to see anything -.- plus you definitely cant be casual and watch, you have to be really familiar with all the cards.

EDH is TOO GOOD. I broke EDH with the most unfair commander imaginable.

the pokemon tcg is not even 1% of what the mtg competitive scene is sorry ori lol. Im sure its fun for you and thats cool but its not even comparable.
Where are my goblins you **** ?

Roller

Smash Legend
Legacy/nonproxy vintage. idk what the current extended sets are, but possibly that too.

I don't have an EDH deck yet, people keep telling me to make one... I might do that over thanksgiving. Still have all my cards and stuff, only things I sold were my set of tarmogoyfs (which I didn't have a deck for anyway).

Also. What would people think about a midweek tourney (possibly series) sometime? Like. a bi-weekly wednesday or thursday night throwdown or something? $5 entry, singles only. Layed back environment. Just an idea.

JTsm

Smash Master
what gametype? got an edh deck??

also jtsm, your friendly neighborhood reminder: wifi is bad.
Lagless wifi if you can believe it.

Also for Youma I got two more spots open.

me
zinoto
Ori
GDX

25$ each at Greektown. Just 5 blocks away from Youma.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Kyle, can you still help out with Big House transportation this upcoming weekend? Fly Amanita needs a ride from the venue (Pierpont) to the airport (DTW) at around 7:30pm, next Sunday 10/7.

since

Smash Journeyman
Friday would be great, since I might consistently have that off.
I'll know tomorrow for sure when I'm off this week. Not a big deal if I can't make it though.

rsr2

Smash Lord
never knew that. I just saw a MtG stream like a month ago for the first time.
Magic the gathering was also on ESPN2 at one point
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DECaN66tm0k

Yeah Starcitygames also streams tournaments almost every weekend and those are pretty fun to watch and they do twitter contests all the time during the stream. (that is how I got a free pass to GenCon $80 value)

I'll mm anyone here in M:tG, btw.

Not getting out of bed for under $50 tho.
I might take you up on a mm Legacy match :p I have a goblins deck (Not the casual kind but the legit kind with the expensive things like Ports, cavern of souls, piledrivers, etc. You get the idea) I am also working on Deadman's ale. White black control.

But I can agree Magic is pretty damn expensive and EDH is so damn fun.

Also rabbi I am jelly about the fact you can get 8 packs for getting dead last. I am assuming you are talking about the Pre-Release for the new set and was it at Gamer's Sanctuary in Flint? Because up here it was $30 and you have to get top 8 in order to win anything. I made top 8 and went with Selesnya (Green White) and lost in my top 8 match. I ended up winning 6 packs and a T-Shirt. After opening all my packs, I sold cards and traded I made easily $200. Yay for kids selling foil Shock Lands for $10 (I literally picked up 3 then sold them to others for $25+ a piece) Then some kid packed the new green black planeswalker and he just wanted yugioh cards so I bought a booster pack that cost me $4 for it. Good times.

Yeah I like MTG if you can't tell and I can literally go on and on about it.....

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
My lgs (Gamer's Gauntlet) rallied 164 entrants on friday night for the pre release. Had 8 rounds lasting until 12.45 pm on saturday. I didn't pull anything at all, and overall I had a very weak card pool. I drafted bant (picking the selesnya guild) only splashed blue for sleep effects. I lost to izzet that countered everything i had pretty much. Then a guy who pulled double armada wurm detention sphere.

I honestly can't wait to start drafting this set. I was heavily playing standard before avacyn rolled around. I stopped playing because of bonfire.. sold all my standard stuff and proceeded to start building a powered cube (powered cards are ce sadly i dont have 20g to blow on this game.) Im about 60% of the way finished. Just lind of slow st the moment since school started back up and im working less.

:phone:

JTsm

Smash Master
So unfortunately I won't be able to help drive for BH2. Sorry I didn't tell you sooner, Rob :urg:

I thought this weekend was free for me, but family stuff came up.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
RTR seems pretty cool, I'm excited for draft. I pulled a Rakdos, Dreadbore, and Cyclonic Rift at the prerelease. TBird got an abrupt decay, blood crypt, and loltleth troll >_>

Top Bottom