• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Lol, there is so much wrong with that mentality that I don't even know where to begin.

:phone:
In my head its not wrong, not wrong at all. Why would I give advice to people on how to beat me? Or how to beat others? The only time I did is at the last tournament when I talked about LOE1. Its like an offense telling the defense what their going to do. Why would an offense tell a defense what their plan is? To get stopped by the defense? Same thing applies here. I'm the offense and other people are the defense. I'm not going to give them anything they can use against me if we ever play each other. And why's that the wrong mentality? Because I don't want to lose? Don't know what your mentality is but its obviously the wrong one.

DRDN, what you said reminds of the NFL AFC vs NFC Pro Bowl. Teaming as a region would be fine for what a few tournaments a year? Its not like we're all friends though. And that's my point. I'm not trying to be friends with everyone here, except for my MI people. I mean I'll chill with people that are chill, but my mentality going into a match is I want to win, and that's all. Not give advice before or afterwards. Don't know what you guys see wrong with this. Seriously, cut the bs.

Edit: In order for you to win, other people have to lose. And how do you do that? Box people out . What's that mean? Don't be discussing your strategies with people you know will use them against you. Like for instance, Zinoto always tells me what I do wrong and what I need to be doing, which I appreciate because he's the man, but if you ask him, he'll tell you that I never once gave him advice on how to beat me(even though he already beats me most of the time).

BPx

Smash Lord
And you are? Oh right random.

lmk when your doo doo mindset puts you in the money, chief

also, you should want your opponents to know how to counter your moves so you don't get caught using them in situations where they can be punished. there is a difference between helping people with a matchup and telling them how to beat you. ex.: " in the mk ditto, use nado to counter glide attack"(MU advice) compared to "when playing against ________, he tends to air dodge onto the ledge, so space a charged forward smash and release after the air dodge(countering a player)".

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Rizk, as much as I disagree with your mentality, I can't really argue with it, since you backed up your statement with good reasoning. I'll just accept that people have different mentalities in tournaments.

To be honest, that's actually one of the reasons why I'm sometimes afraid to ask other people for advice. But I know that there are people willing to help, so I don't have a reason to not ask THEM for advice.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Bpx is arguably one of the top 5 best doubles players in the midwest.

That's not even a joke. He's gotten 2nd at two consecutive big regional and has done comparatively well outside of that.

Just because he can't beat Thugz doesn't make him bad.

Roller

Smash Legend
Rizk, if you never intend to leave the state to play smash, then your mentality is not entirely wrong. But the reason I try to help people get better and give advice when they ask for it is so that I can learn how to deal with those strategies that give me problems here. So when I travel to another state for a regional/national, I'll be prepared for whatever gets thrown at me. Your way of thinking would coddle you into a false sense of security, and you'll never learn how to deal with people who have any idea of what they're doing in the matchup.

So if you want to be a regional/national force to be reckoned with, it's best to prepare as much as possible, as often as possible, with the people you play the most.

If your goal is just to go to MI locals for the rest of your career and try to get money here.. Then I can understand your viewpoint; but you will still never get as good as someone who continually tells people what they are having problems with and constantly strives to find new approaches to troublesome situations. Those people simply develop more tools and more innovative and varied styles of play which will make them significantly harder to beat in the longterm, even if someone knows "the matchup."

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
if your goal is to win money and get pr'd then I dont see whats wrong with rizks mentality. It is isnt 'wrong' its just different, more competitive.. If he wants the highest chance of beating people then thats what he has to do. Rollers right, it depends if you care about the regional pride or not.

If you want michigan to do well because you want to be proud of your region then by all means help people, but if youre just attending MI tourneys and thats all I dont see how its wrong to have that mentality.

Personally I dont have the goal of making money or getting PR. Considering how almost no matter what im going to do, the amount of money Id make winning a super smash tourney will pale in comparison to a real days work and in a state where roller is 2nd in the PR and lain is 5th or whatever he is obviously dont have that much fierce competition so it doesnt mean much anyways.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
I appreciate Roller, Apasher and Rabbi for respecting what I had to say, unlike some people. But yeah sorry its just how I am. I don't think I need to be giving advice when I'm just there to place and win( and obviously have fun). People should lurk character boards for help if they want it. And I'm not sure if I mentioned this, or if I did say it and said it wrong, but I'm not against giving people advice on beating certain people.
What I don't want to do is give people advice on how to beat me/ counter my characters. Ex: WTP going IC on me every time we play -__-. He knows what to do, he loses anyway, am I going to tell him what he needs to be doing right? Hell no lol. That would put me in a bad spot next time we play. You feel me bro?

Sarix

Smash Ace
There are very understandable points to your argument Rizk, I don't necessarily agree but I do respect it. I do agree with Roller that people who give and receive criticism are going to be more adaptable and prepared than those who don't. I give criticism all the time to the GR crew and each time I play against them I'm forced to stretch myself further if they develop a new mixup or tactic I haven't seen before so I can find a way to deal with it in the future.

Honestly everyone has a different view/opinion and I don't expect you to change your position based off what I've said.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
I see where Rizk is coming from and it's not wrong at all. Idk, I like giving people advice because they come back with something new and you have to find ways to get around that. Also, if the people beat you it just shows that they are getting better.The one thing I do disagree with is that giving them advice is like telling them how to beat you. If you verbally tell them the things they need to beat you in advance, why wouldn't you already have something prepared because you know they're going to use it. Depending on the lack of knowledge of another player isn't really "beating" them imo. When someone just outplays you, you'll know it. Just as if someone just doesn't know the MU you know it. Helping someone with a MU doesn't help them beat you unless you specifically say "do ___, ___, and ___" when he does ___, ___, and ___".

But Rizzy is free anyway so he shouldn't have to worry much about winning :yeahboi:

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Yo its cool that everyone respects my opinion on this. I would've thought people would bash my mindset.

Also, me and Tech had like 2 friendlies at SPAU, I think he won both. You should ask him if he remembers lol.

And Zinoto, remember that Wi-Fi time out? Because I do. :yeahboi: :yeahboi: :yeahboi:

. Depending on the lack of knowledge of another player isn't really "beating" them imo. When someone just outplays you, you'll know it. Just as if someone just doesn't know the MU you know it.
I disagree, a big factor in maining a bad character is being able to utilize gimmicks effectively, and gimmicks are most effective when the other party doesn't even know they exist.

I fail to see how beating someone who hasn't put in the time to learn a MU that you've learned doesn't count as beating them. You just sound mad that gr>dacus isn't legit on diddy imo.

I think beating someone is when you beat them. That being said I personally wouldn't advocate "relying" on people not knowing the MU, because they'll eventually learn and you'll end up getting bodied, but abusing a lack of knowledge is a powerful strategy.

I read the word depending as both relying and abusing, if that's not what you meant, well then this was a wasted post l0l.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Someone give me a list of MI tournies happening this summer, and their dates. Thank you(:
BAMF Remix - May 26th
DRDN's World 2 - June 2nd
MI Revival (Rayquaza's Tourney) - June 9th
Phoenix Saga 4 - June 16th (I better see you at this :mad:)

Roller

Smash Legend
Jason, since I know you have a proclivity for showing up to Nationals moreso than locals, particularly ones on the east coast. And particularicularly ones in NJ.

You should come to SKTAR. MI is coming, and I can give you free housing if you need it.

I forget the date tho. Look it up.

Top Bottom