• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I'm leaning towards singles only right now, too. Doubles is a time sink at locals, everyone knows it. We can expand the singles tourney to include a play-in, like Dan suggested awhile ago, and I think that would benefit way more people than just running another same old doubles event.

Consider this tourney schedule:

12pm Melee Singles Pools
-- Melee Singles Play-In
3pm Melee Singles Bracket

6pm Brawl Singles Pools
-- Brawl Singles Play-In
9pm Brawl Singles Bracket

For people who forgot about what the Play-In means:

With an example 32-player turnout, you do eight pools of four and have the 3rd and 4th seeds (16 players total) play against each other for the last eight spots in a 24-player bracket. This gives more playing time to the lower seeds who usually tend to go two-and-out in bracket, and additionally gives them more playing time vs opponents of a similar skill level.

A less obvious example is something like a 20-player turnout. In that case you do the same thing except with four pools of five, making the 3rd/4th/5th seeds (12 players total) play against each other for the last four spots in a 12-player bracket.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
Plus people are more free (lol no pun intended) during the day so more people would proly enter because no "I've got nighttime plans johns"

:phone:

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
Why was everyone arguing that taking MK from a single tourney was so bad because we wouldn't be able to face MKs out of state but were so quick to throw out dubs which is at ALMOST EVERY Tournament including all regionals and nationals?

Its more difficult to focus on(I'm sure someone can easily break this logic but that sounds more difficult to play/master) and If we all took more time and cared about dubs we could stroll through OOS tourneys and show MW has a handle on something the coasts are killing us at singles why not go for better dubs strats and whatnot?

I'm mostly talking for brawl I don't know much about the melee scene

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
OMG Rise Against and The Foo Fighters was soooo legit. The one bad part was getting hit on by a drunk and high 40 year old lady who could barely formulate a complete sentance. It was annoying cuz she kept intruding on my personal space during all the good songs :urg:

yooo Brawl singles usually starts before 7 lol

Um I have the obvious concern that brawl wont be able to get 8 set ups. Most brawl tournyes run with 4-5 setups, which is actually enough. There's no real harm in trying it out though. I'm a big fan of trying new things.

What's The Point

Smash Master
Brawl starting at 6, and bracket at 9, seems late. Brawl ending at 11, a favorable time based on how the scheduling works, is not very good. Everything should be done by 10 ideally. Overlapping at the end of melee bracket would not be much of a problem, if at all.

THuGz

Smash Lord
Doubles last is definitely the way to go. I think the idea is that TOs think that people would prefer to come later, if they are only doing singles, since a lot of people only do singles, but judging from our reactions MI specifically would be down with coming early (which means like noon, rofl) and being able to choose to leave and have their night. /2cents

I'm mister fix it, it feels good! Fixin' all the ladies in the neighborhood.

What's The Point

Smash Master
Except like 14 people showed up at 9 PM for 64. I think people would rather come earlier and leave earlier, but that 64 tournament has me questioning that. Given, most left once they were out, and two guys left after an hour while still in the tournament.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
So far I've noticed everyone say they want to leave earlier but everyone shows up late as hell. Maybe its because their used to TOs waiting and if thatts the case let's see some ****ty tourneys where all the people who don't make it in POSTED time just aren't in it .

Roller

Smash Legend
I personally have no problem with staying at a tourney 'til 2am. I'm usually up past then anyway, and I clear my day for a tourney. BUT since other people need to drive to Alpena and ****. I say either switch Brawl singles and doubles around, or drop brawl doubles entirely, and start singles when dubs is set to start there.

The problem brawl has is that our game has too many gimmicks, and when new people see us abuse these in friendlies or in doubles, they know they wont do well in singles. So they leave. It ha happened consistently. I actually think they might stay if we reversed the order though. Say I chaingrab them in singles bracket. They would see doubles as a way to compete in which I can't really do that, so maybe they will have a chance.

Also. Will would slow down both those schedules and cause Brawl to start at least an hour later.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Yo real talk do what LOLIS did.

Registration -> Brawl Singles Pools -> Brawl Dubs -> Brawl Singles Bracket (16 man) = Out by 10/11 iirc

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
In my first real Brawl tournament, I repeatedly lost to some guy in friendlies, then 2-0'd him in bracket. I never saw him again...

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So jelly of Ankoku's new Custom Title..then again this is nothing new.

Also when Kyle and I get a new venue we may adopt that schedule. Singles first would be better in this case. Though if we can at least 2 or 3 new people to come to a future event I consider that a success.

Also Roller no more Anubis ****** new kids lmao.

For me tournaments have become extremely stagnant as of late. Part of it is the venue and seeing the same people over and over. so I need to do what I did before and just advertise to a new crowd. I know EXACTLY where to go to get new people..iits just I need to keep these kids around. All the Southfield kids like to play but think they're the ****. Theres like a good crowd of 15 of them. So I'm gonna start there.

Also 5 dollar tournies = great way for new people to come out.

We need to start doing those more.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Assuming Melee and Brawl get their usual turnouts (~30 and ~20 respectively) I think this is the best outline of a schedule:

12pm Melee Singles Pools
-- Melee Singles Play-In
3pm Melee Singles Bracket

5pm Dinner break, transition setups from Melee to Brawl

6pm Brawl Singles Pools
-- Brawl Singles Play-In
8pm Brawl Singles Bracket

Nobody should be worried about an 8pm starting time for Brawl Singles Bracket. You gotta remember that after the Play-In, there is a much smaller bracket to be ran, and also there are zero other events going on at the same time, so if we're talking about a 12-player bracket then there's no way it could take more than two hours to complete.

Kevin does bring up a good point though -- an overlap at the end of Melee Singles Bracket would be no problem. At that point usually a lot of Melee people have left and we just need two setups to finish up the bracket. So if you're really that worried about ending late, then yeah Brawl Singles Pools could be moved to 5pm. But I think a 24-player Melee Singles Bracket needs a little more time.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Plus this way lain can oversleep past noon and not have to complain about not being entered into Brawl singles three hours after starting : j

Top Bottom