• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

What's The Point

Smash Master
Since IL and OH just updated their PR, I should point out that I refuse to rank this season. The turnouts have been far to low for me to justify having a PR. Do we want to be like Nebraska? I would start a new season at September, since that is when school at UM starts. If rankings do occur for these past few months I will not be involved.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Kevin, I have to disagree with you. We've had two locals that has been bigger than anything that has been hosted here within the past 7 months that isn't GSS.A good amount of MI went to SIIS5. I would agree to ranking less people but not having a PR, I will not support. I do agree with starting a new season in September 100% though. I still want to have an update at the end of August.

And do not compare us to Nebraska. We have a way larger player pool than they do and better players, it just that we always get a group of people who john out for whatever reasons.

Also with L_Cancel's inactivity I want a new panelist. IMO SK, because he's knowledgable of players and their skills, active, and unbiased.

:phone:

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Who wants to house me this Sunday to Monday, since I'm planning on coming up to MI, and playing some Smash?

I want to meet some of the more local MI players.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I can be a panelist! I don't even live in Michigan, so you can tell I'm unbiased! :3

ZTD | TECHnology

I mean if it has to be that way its fine. I mean if we were indeed in the position Nebraska is in I'd agree with you 100%. But we aren't anywhere near that level of inactivity nor we have that shallow of a player pool. Its not SOLELY about attendance. The PR player to regular player imo is more important to me.

BAMF3 had 4 PRed people in attendance and one previous PRed who is honestly better than a majority of people here.

Get Schooled had 3 + Ally and Junebug. Wouldve more if Gio would enter.

I'm probably going to appoint one more member to the group anyway because we need it. Unless MI as a whole doesn't want a PR I'll probably end up making an update. The main reason is because September would be the perfect time to start a new season. These previous tournaments should count for something.Its a part of the reason people try. I really don't want to just say "Oh you did well here but it doesnt count".

ZTD | TECHnology

Hot_ArmS, pretty sure you still need to enter tournaments to be a panelist :awesome:

I mean I'm not going to really care if we dont have an update but I feel like we could get away with 5 players..maybe. Eh it depends on what happens and if previously ranked people show up more. I do understand that Judge and Mikey havent been all that active this season. But Mikey still has SIIS5 and has the chance to make a few more tournaments. Judge..you never know lol. I'm making any decisions until the end of August.

Roller

Smash Legend
I obviously couldn't help with this past season, but in the future, if you need a panelist... I am active and watch/play pretty much everybody. Not a big deal either way though.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Honestly we can get away with a PR like last season. We can definitely do a top 5-7 with HMs there has been a **** ton of improvement. So we can get a rankings up.

As for activity...
- Mikey: He can attend tourneys if people give him the date in advance. But I know he takes work as a priority.
- Judge: If someone should just call him lol I called him before BAMF 2 and he said if he had known in advance he probably would have showed up.
- L_Cancel: ........ lol :troll:

Not sure if I'm forgetting anyone, these were the people I thought of off the top of my head.

What's The Point

Smash Master
Last season's PR was terrible and should not have happened at all. Especially with PRing 8 people (HMs count) which was like half the player base.

Since it's going to happen again I'm just going to drop out.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What's the point of the PR again? (no pun intended)
To rank people within Michigan so they will want to do better to achieve a better ranking. Inspire improvement, promote competition, and all that jazz.
If you believe that such can't be achieved with a PR, that's a valid reason.

If you just don't want to do rankings because of too few people or something, then what happens to all that inspiration of improvement and promotion of competition? UR HURTING ESPORTS

why not just make this season longer to include more tournaments to offset the low turnout

also i dont want to be on it. even though i probably wont make it anyways

What's The Point

Smash Master
As I am prone to do, I immediately take back my decision. I'd remain as a panelist. Still heavily against making a PR though.

Mostly because of anticipating arguments after no one agreed with me, I looked over results and have already made the correct PR list.

Gio, I like the idea of starting a new season when school starts up again. There's supposed to be an attempt to increase the player base at that point, so the idea is for fresh start or some bull**** like that.

fZk

Smash Lord
Other than the actual work for the panelists that goes into making the PR, I fail to see what the harm of having a PR list (however short) for a successful season is.

What's The Point

Smash Master
I'm relatively fine with short. I think it's a bit silly to have a list that says Ally, Lain, SK, 4th guy (Ally lived in Kalamazoo this summer), but that's a 1/4th of the players which I think is a good ratio. Every other panelist always wants like 1/3 to 1/2 ratio of PR spots to average attendance, which I think is bad.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
I don't think the size of it should be a main concern but the level of skill, If we don't go over 10 that is. If we only had 8 people going to tourneys but they were all people who could go to regionals and have a chance of winning id see no problem ranking them all

What's The Point

Smash Master
Well, we don't have some sort of fantasy all star player base, so there is the top, the middle, and the low.

Currently our 4th might not get out of pools at a regional.

Also, admittedly, I forgot there are two more tournaments this month. I was a bit pre-mature in my judgements. So, essentially, disregard my *****ings. I feel like it's late August for some reason.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
you know, if your player base is that damn small that like 5 ppl is 1/3, and as you've said, there's a top, middle, low and not just some roster of all-stars, why not just do exactly that, and rank each the top, middle, and low? That'd probably give more competitive incentive to other players, rather than just touting off the undisputed top 3-4. I mean, you don't really need a PR to tell who the obviously best players are, it's more for like, the people who are near the middle and bottom and just off that list, to give them incentive to get higher on it.

I don't see a reason why you wouldn't want to rank more players, just because the scene is small.

ZTD | TECHnology

See Kevin thats what I'm saying..we have 2 more events left..so we should wait. And my suggestion was Top 5. If our player pool average were 18 thats essentially 1/3.5 which is even stricter than our current PRed to regular player average.

And I already knew you were blowing smoke about leaving.
And I am against having Ally PRed unless he's ranked 0.

And I kinda like SCOTU's idea honestly. Though there are some players in between groups but the general idea is legit.

What's The Point

Smash Master
Would having your name anywhere in a list of "Low Tier" players inspire someone to improve? Officially being called bad isn't exactly encouraging.

If you want to do it that way though, then it should be a point system like TX has.

ZTD | TECHnology

Hmm back to the point system idea lol. Eh I have mixed feelings. I'd rather see a PR still. But once again we are jumping the gun like a month in advance. Let's just wait it out.

Top Bottom