• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Beginning - Paratime Smash Crew's first Highlights/combo video (vid is up!)

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
I present to the world Paratime Smash Crew's first combo video, appropriately titled "The Beginning". The video is posted today, April 6th, 2010 (which just happens to be Starwarrior27/Gravity's birthday :chuckle: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!) and represents the first few months of the group's existence. The final product is meant to commemorate the times we had together, playing Brawl for the fun of it. Without further ado, I give you The Beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFo_hGZ8OEI

Credits

Special thanks to yoshq and mobilisq for recording all the clips, as without them this project would (obviously) not have been started.

Songs
Just One – Hoobastank
Same Direction – Hoobastank
His World (Zebrahead remix) – Zebrahead

Programs Used
Audacity
Pinnacle VideoSpin
Adobe Premiere Elements 7

"Special Guest"
Steve (the noob who played Mario against TriMA at the beginning of His World)

Please read the following notes after watching the video and before posting comments and/or rating the video

1) I realize that this video isn't the best that anyone's seen. There are decent clips and bad clips mixed in with each other. All clips were from two months of playing, and we have dramatically improved since November. And we like playing 5 stock 10 minute matches for fun.

2)
I consider my creation a different kind of CV, not your traditional awesomeness-filled, explosion-riddled, attack-chaining clip sequences.
No, I'm not making excuses for the video. My goal in making the video was to have something to commemorate the group's early days. I was catering to the group, not the public. I would have been much more picky about the clips that went into the video if I wanted to amaze people. The original purpose of creating this combo video was to have something that would tie the crew together, to be able to create something as a group so that we would could share those memories and experiences. When I thought of creating this video, I had little intent to release it on the web. But we decided to anyways.

3) I was the one and only editor of the video. I spent days sitting in front of the TV watching and reviewing replays (to find the good ones), weeks blasting music into my head trying to find the right songs, and months cutting the clips and creating/revising the trailer and video. I worked alone for the most part, but I sincerely thank Gravity for giving me support, ideas, and advice. This video is the first I've ever made.

4) I learned that a video editor is only as good as the footage. I can do great syncing, cool effects, smooth transitions, and be able to create a mood and feeling for the video, but it counts for nothing without good clips. I can only do so much with sequences of the crew's memorable punishes and unforgettable reads, which is why the video seems to be solely comprised of those kinds of clips. Nostalgia cannot be conveyed when the viewer wasn't there for the real thing.

5) I learned that catering to yourself or to a lot of people is a lot easier than catering to three. Being fair to three people is a heck of a lot harder than being fair to twenty, especially when making a combo video. To be fair to the every member of the group, I had to make sure that everyone had a similar amount of combos in the video, even if the flow and mood of the video is broken. A good example is the spiking sequence that I promised to DZeth. More people = bigger selection = ability to be more picky = better video. I'm not saying that I think my crewmates are bad players, just that I needed to use sub-par clips in the name of fairness.

6) Almost all food critics are not gourmet chefs. Almost all movie critics are not producers. Almost all combo video critics did not make Admiration and UnTouchAble or their own earth shattering videos.

7) I am not making excuses for myself or the video. The purpose of the above text was for informative purposes only so that you can make more meaningful posts.

*flame shield down*

Bring. The. Fire.

Seriously, I'd like some real critiques. Thank you.​

MRGAY

Smash Cadet
ROB has the most interesting clips, other than that though; it was pretty lack luster.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
This is just a trailer, and the actual video is better. I consider my creation a different kind of CV, not your traditional awesomeness-filled, explosion-riddled, attack-chaining clip sequences. I'll release a mission statement when I release the video on April 6th.

Ambu(ECNAL)

Smash Rookie
Well the video is decent but some of the combos are not even combos I'm afraid but punishing instead.
In my opinion I'd give it a decent 5/10...I know I suck at rating.

Oh hey there~

TeSik

Smash Cadet
Norm is that everyone wants awesome clips but very few succeed in doing so. Why should you try to convince with bad scenes lol.

Honestly...ROB's clips were the only good ones, the rest weren't even combos...this is what I saw; Ike spiking on Pirate Ship, multiple Smash kills, Falcon easily kneeing fail Iek,White Knight just shuttle-loop killing,A Lucas U-smashing and R.O.B being the epic one. I did like the editing though...
But since this is just a trailer, that probably wasn't the best you could come up with.

Flower For Od

Smash Cadet
Heyy ! Here Flower Od .

Youtube comment :

The combos are too average for a 2010's combo video ... But it's just a trailer so let's wait for best in the entiere .

The Edit is not bad . Good Luck .

3/5

;)

sasquatch1

Smash Cadet
Hey just a quick question... why do you badmouth so many other peoples videos when your trailer is complete crap? I don't make combo videos and I'm not the greatest player ever but don't talk **** if you can't back it up.
what are you 12? needing to belittle other people's hard work to make yourself feel better. get a life scrub or better yet how bought some manners. :(

Directed at Kiros

Mr-R

Smash Champion
u know i STILL dont get how videos like these get uploaded 2 years after the game got released... like seriously are u that blind to see that these are BAD combos/moments...i just dont get it...

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for your constructive criticism. And to take you out of your state of ignorance, videos like these are STILL uploaded 2 years after Brawl is released because there are always people who don't make videos to amaze others. They have different goals.

Flower For Od

Smash Cadet
Mr-R i STILL don't understand why you are so crual ! That's not because you are know in all the world that you can be like that .
Hum ! You seem for me more nice at the BNI ;(

(so bad is my english =D )

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
you say you are trying to create a different type of vid, if you could explain your goal with this vid, it may help people appreciate the video more

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Which is exactly what I intend to do tomorrow, Tuesday April 6th. It's Gravity/Starwarrior27's birthday! And when the video comes out, later at night. But yes, I know that I need to clear some things up with people.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
The video is up! All posts before this one were about the trailer (if anybody wanted to know). Please read the OP before making comments or rating.

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
Meh, definitely wasn't fantastic to a public eye. I can tell you put in some effort at least. To keep as a memory of your "early days", sure, but not much for the community. If f-smashes are a great deal to you, ten congratulations. :p

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
like it was said, the editing as decent enough but it wasnt fun to watch. I'm sure the people involved might enjoy it, but to the rest of us its just got boring with the newbie gameplay of walking into smashes and whatnot
would have been MUCH better if the second half had updated gameplay of 2009-2010 or something to show the progression

frayike

Smash Cadet
:laugh: Man, I realize you must be a little hurt at these comments cuz I guess you put work into it, but you can't make a video of people messing up and getting killed for it and call it anything but a "This is why you don't mess up" vid. At least the video quality wasn't bad and neither was the editing but like I said, most of the video was one or another person messing up bigtime then getting hit by a super slow move. :confused: Marth does failed up b then gets hit by ike f-smash, kirby fails at spacing and gets hit by a snake f-smash, etc. I would list more but then it would mean i put effort into it. Anywho good try for a first video but if you want honest opinions not one person who knows how to play at a high level will tell you this video is even okay. And yes I have never made a combo video, yet i do know what a good one looks like and trust me dude you have a lot of competiton. too much writing on my part. I hope you and the crew get better and make a good video that most people can actually enjoy. Sorry for being a jerk... i guess :ohwell:

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions so far, I appreciate it.

I've already made preparations for the next video lulz, and what I learn here will be implemented (though it most likely won't be out until after summer...)

TeSik

Smash Cadet
Ah, I read all the descriptions just by now. It makes more sense to me now and I'm glad that you could bring together footage of your first few months. How does it come you want to hear critics or am I wrong with this? Anyways, your video obviously has a more personal meaning and that's something I think is good :)

Denzi

Smash Master
This definitely isn't a video that's really even worth sharing. It was pretty much just, "Look! I can edgehog!" and, "Hey there, my opponent just walked into my fsmash!" It just isn't to exciting.

It's a demonstration of generic skills that all mid level players should have, as well as a collection of lucky shots. it's a "combo" video, but hitting your opponent around a bit while they're at high %s and then landing a kill move can't even be loosely interpreted as a combo.

I can see your reasons for making the video (nostalgic value among your crew members), but it isn't something people want to take the time to watch. And when you know people want to be amazed by combo videos, and you label this as one despite the fact that it is clearly outclassed by most others, you shouldn't even bother trying to defend it.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Pretty much what's said has been said. I can completely understand you wanting to make something as nostalgia for your crew. In that purpose, I'm sure it has succeeded.

Editing was well done, music fit well for your purpose, and some of the clips were actually not too bad.

Good work.

napZzz

Smash Hero
just seeing the overpost shows how below average this video was going to be. After watching it....

Most cool brawl videos comprise of "combos", where its more or less just getting a long read on your opponent in a cool style, a succesful chain of hits because you were smart. People make mistakes, and sometimes thats how it happens, but in this video both of the players would flop around failing while the supposed "combo" player would hit them a few times inbetween it all. I see absolutely no reason as to why you would make a video with clips like these, i really have no clue why.

Dont bother getting angry at anyone who posts stuff, You asked for honest critique.

Thank you for your constructive criticism. And to take you out of your state of ignorance, videos like these are STILL uploaded 2 years after Brawl is released because there are always people who don't make videos to amaze others. They have different goals.

you clearly didn't make it for entertainment, and it doesn't display any skill

what other purpose could you have made this video for

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
I see absolutely no reason as to why you would make a video with clips like these, i really have no clue why.

you clearly didn't make it for entertainment, and it doesn't display any skill

what other purpose could you have made this video for
Read the OP.

Top Bottom