• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Power! (Matchmaking & Video Thread)

Sonicfiend

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sonicfiend
3DS FC
0903-3749-1655
So I am in no way, shape or form a Ganondorf main (not that I don't like him, he's actually better in this game than in past incarnations imo) but I just wanted to drop this video from arguably our best Ganon main here in the NYC.

And this entire set was played masterfully imo. This man does whatever pops into his head and nine times out of ten, it WORKS.

Hope you enjoy, guys!

pawclaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pawclaw
Hey, guys. I'm a Ganon player from New Jersey. Posted in the ganon social thread a couple days ago, introducing myself Anyway, here's a clip of mine from my stream, that I said I was going to post here (JUST 34 seconds long). Let me know what you guys think! On a side note, I'm coming out with some match footage that makes more use of warlock punch in the competitive scene (though it isn't easy, of course), and general matches of mine from local tournaments.

Last edited:

Deotay

Smash Cadet
Hey I beat Pugwest in tournament. Was kind of a jank set but still proud of it.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I was doing some Anther's a few days ago and I got some decent stuff:

- vs Rosalina
- vs Rosalina (game 2)
- vs (amazingly enough) Mii Gunner. That rare MU experience. It's actually a pretty tough MU for us. It's basically a Villager who can camp us even better, but can't actually kill us. :p

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
That Rosa went straight for that Ganoncide at the end of the first match - though I liked the way you dealt with Luma.

After having played San's Mii Gunner for so long, I found myself criticising that Gunner's every move, haha. The matchup is weird and roughly in Mii Gunner's favour by a bit.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504

Astrofallz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Astrofallz
3DS FC
4055-5220-2861
Vs. ID|Zay(Hype utilt read lol) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lHGt_54nqN4

Vs. Gunblade https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cRvJCVMFfqo

Vs. HBA|LoCal|Riz
Winners Semis https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lWwZBS2SmFA

Losers Finals https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YiHmSF0Tolw

It was a departure from how I usually play, at times I was too patient especially vs Zay but I'm very satisfied overall.
I noticed at 1:27 vs Jay you did ledge drop wizkick. Was there a reason you opted for that instead of normal ledge drop?

mgleed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mgleed
Have we always been immune to this? I could have sworn we used to get hit. Until I sat there like a dummy last night during a match and was pleasantly surprised.

Edit: After some discussion outside the boards, this has probably always been the case. It might be stage dependent (e.g. Lylat tilted), but we should be safe on the majority. But, still a good reminder to those of us who expect to be hit since it probably hits most of the cast.

Last edited:

pawclaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pawclaw
Nope I input the wizkick too fast trying to snipe his recovery lol.

Also not a tourney vid but still hype:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a42BYeKS4uE
I'll just paste my comments on the video here. I didn't know you posted this on smashboards as well, and I'm sure other people could comment as well and discuss.

hmmm ....

"
0:08 Rising nair 1 and purposely whiffed nair 2 into footstool. Never thought of that before. I just started trying to implement grounded dair into foostool at low percents instead of another dair. So, this other foostool followup is interesting.

1:02 Nice wizard foot interception. Both this and flamechoke high-air-on-stage goaltending I need to implement more. Because even if it whiffs, I can land safely. But if I get the flamechoke, that's easy ganoncide.

1:10 Seems situational, but with enough fear and intimidation, and if the opponent has enough matchup ignorance, this could gurantee an early stock. They're just in the range to get pulled into this after an air dodge, or if their jumps suck lol. This is interesting. I like this followup!

1:25 KO punch responded to with Warlock Punch. LOL

1:35 Jab comes out faster now. Would you say it comes out as fast as Samus's jab 1 into Jab 1? If so, that's some decent shield pressure.

1:50 It's so weird to me how half-way platform sharking like that just makes ganon end up on top of the platform. I wanted to do on platform air flame chokes, but I always forget how ridiculous ganon's platform snapping is with this move lol.

2:14 Not sure if you planned it this way, but falling nair 1 was a perfect way to get under a floaty character like peach (or anyone really) and allow for vertical positional advantage. I like to do this sometimes and combo it into down tilt into a possible up air. Always a lovely mixup string.

3:24 I'm happy to see another ganondorf besides myself using up b's hitbox to kill off the tpp. So satisfying, and if you space it right, it's pretty low risk!

4:05 Nair 2 jab resets? I guess at low percents. Dude, you were at like....the perfect spot to wizard foot into cancel right there. Think of the possibilities! You might have been able to get wizard foot into flame choke for kill, right there! I like that setup you had.

In watching this video, and I guess montage is different from tournament play, but your ganondorf reminds me of my ganondorf. Aggressive, pressure heavy, and (like most ganon) makes good reads and goes for conversions here and there. I've following some Ray Kalm, who is somewhat aggressive, but I don't think he's as aggressive as you. I still have to look into both of yall more (and some other ganons along the way) Good stuff, man.
"

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Unsure on the jab, you can check kuroganehammer though for frame data.

I think I was the most aggressive for a time but that got me into a lot of unneeded trouble lol. Still working on it but I play much more patiently in tourney.

Appreciate all the comments, I wish I could give as lengthy a response but mobile is annoying to type with.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
The fact your phone is too terrible to run discord really has me questioning your mobile situation. Do you use one of those little silver 7-11 flip phones zach?

pawclaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pawclaw

I think I was the most aggressive for a time but that got me into a lot of unneeded trouble lol. Still working on it but I play much more patiently in tourney.

Appreciate all the comments, I wish I could give as lengthy a response but mobile is annoying to type with.
Yeah, man. It's cool. I gave quite the lengthy comment, didn't expect a lengthy response, really. If anything, I'm happy you read it all in such a short amount of time haha. And ah, same here. I've grown more patient, especially with enduring the hardships of learning the sheik matchup and beating them out, before the last patch (and zss and her crazy mobility). Patience can sometimes determine a match alone o_o .

P.S. : Koskinator Koskinator ,What is the ganondorf discord channel? I'd like to hop on it sometime. I keep seeing people talk about it, but never see anyone say it in the threads from what I've seen .

Astrofallz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Astrofallz
3DS FC
4055-5220-2861
Vs. ID|Zay(Hype utilt read lol) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lHGt_54nqN4

Vs. Gunblade https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cRvJCVMFfqo

Vs. HBA|LoCal|Riz
Winners Semis https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lWwZBS2SmFA

Losers Finals https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YiHmSF0Tolw

It was a departure from how I usually play, at times I was too patient especially vs Zay but I'm very satisfied overall.
Finally got around to watching the other vids, is there a reason you allowed a Sheik to take you to FD? Cause for me FD and Smashville are the immediate neutral bans.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I have a cheap phone lol

I originally didn't wanna let them have sv or tnc but I thought tnc might be worth a try since the 50/50 was gone, thought maybe I'd get more out of the blastlines or platforms and felt I did. I always start on fd because they ban bf and I know better than to allow sv lol.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace

By comparing the patch notes thread and Ganondorf's Kurogane Hammer page there are some differences.

Last edited:

Mental_43

Smash Rookie
NNID
MentalStrawberry
Hi there fellow dorfs! I'm having some trouble playing against campy characters with my ganon and now i mean regular camping and not just projectile camping. Should i play a more defensive/bait&punish style or go in for a more offensive play? What moves are best to use?

Last edited:

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Hi there fellow dorfs! I'm having some trouble playing against campy characters with my ganon and now i mean regular camping and not just projectile camping. Should i play a more defensive/bait&punish style or go in for a more offensive play? What moves are best to use?
Hmmm, good question, unfortunately no one really knows the answer to that. Ganon requires you to really outthink the enemy, and he's heavy enough to let you capitalize on that. Learn how to powershield(pretty easy except for online lag) and approach in different ways to see how they react. Dash attack got a lot of endlag taken off recently, so it's probably the best approach option he has. Short hop fast fall Nair is a good way to try to get a reaction out of them, and short hot Bair is good for spacing. Once you understand their basic behaviors try to abuse that.

VenomCB

Smash Cadet
Campy players are always some of the most difficult for Ganon to get in on. In those situations I play a very defensive offense... if that makes sense. It's like a slow approach. You aren't running in, but walking in. You are moving slowly and analyzing their movements. Think of yourself as a wall that is just slowing closing in on the opponent. Eventually the wall will squish them. Powersheilding whenever necessary. Empty shorthop fastfalls are good to throw in there too if they are a jumpy kind of camp. Also the attack options that Theosmeo talked about are good. I would also add in there edgecancel down-specials. The option to jump out of it or grab ledge can force the opponent to act. But in the end that kind of campy play is always hard to deal with as Ganon.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Would you happen to have any video examples?

Mental_43

Smash Rookie
NNID
MentalStrawberry
Would you happen to have any video examples?
No video examples, sorry. The worst case for me though, is a campy :4metaknight:. I have a friend that mains him and he uses a campy playstyle and if he sees an opening he will just dash attack and go for u-airs and maybe an up-b. If he misses the dash attack he will just roll away and do the same thing over and over. Since :4metaknight: dash attack has no lag it's pretty hard to punish as Ganon. I often try to get an f-tilt, jab or sometimes a flame choke if i powershield his dash attack but he will mostly just avoid thoose options with ease

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Well if he only goes in with dash attack, choke or Dash attack should intercept that pretty nicely, and both have solid followups as well. If he rolls away every time wizkick to go get him.

If he mixes up his strategies be prepaired to mix up yours as well, also MK just got hella nerfed so you can live for a while longer now

jds9008

Smash Rookie
User name: YYZ
In-Game name: ジョン/YYZ
3DS Friend Code: X
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: jds9008
Country of Residence: Korea
Palette Colour: 1

jds9008

Smash Rookie
<April Fools' Day>The 'God'nondorf Video

https://youtu.be/nLpwukcDflY

I don't have a capture board. It's video that made YouTube replays.
My moive editing skill is lack, but I want to look interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom