• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Power! (Matchmaking & Video Thread)

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Hi guys. This is my first tourney ever and I managed to record only one match with this dude. Beat him 1st game (was so close I decided to record the preceding ones). I got 9th in a 40ish size group. Have more videos of me getting bopped.

Salt/Johns/excuses: Probably could've gotten farther if my :GCLT: was working correctly (often stuck and therefore cause some missed inputs), nerves, and if my new controller wasn't so stiff.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Three really great videos up there.

@ Man Li Gi Man Li Gi
- The one match you were able to get was really nice. That Sheik was all over you but in typical Ganon fashion your brought it back right quick. The tables turned at the minute mark for sure. I liked that string with the grab read of his roll. You started getting reads on him more in general after that. After his first stock, the balance of the match seemed fairly even, but you had the lead and you could see the Sheik was playing a bit desperate. The dog nearly killed you twice! Well, not really, but he kind of screwed with what you were doing and allowed Sheik to get some nice hits off on you. Nice match. Unlike the other two videos, this clearly showed a close and thoughtful game against a decent opponent.

@ Xinc Xinc
- Okay, you kind of embarrassed that Falcon, heh. That finish did remind me of Bizzaro some. That ledge attack read into dair > dair > bair was pretty sweet. I liked the bair 35 seconds in too. I saw what was happening there, and I've tried that same move many times and just not quite pulled it off at the right time. The Falcon was a bit clunky and slow and predictable. I don't think I saw him try for a grab once, which I'm not used to... but then the match was over so quickly he hardly had a chance, heh. This match could've easily fit right in to WwwWario's montage.

@ WwwWario WwwWario
- Great montage. Nice music choice. Super flashy ridiculous crap. I watched it a couple times it was so entertaining. Makes me want to try for more stupid stuff, lol. One of my favorite things is how you mixed in unexpected things like when those two utilts barely didn't land. I've tried the aeurdo on a utilting Ganon and it's not recommended, but super ballsy to try for. That last thing describes most of the stuff in this video though. All those punches. I liked the clashes too. Your little comments and sound effect additions were fun also. Would be awesome if you could get a capturing device of some kind and reupload this with the match clips in high quality.

Last edited:

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
My Ganondorf in a 2 VS. 2 in this tournament, which Haru Akenaga and I won. My opponents were Lord Tentacruel (Donkey Kong in the video) and ZinogreVolt (Peach in the video), as seen in the Challonge brackets.

Last edited:

thadd_fin

Your Residential Mongolian
NNID
Thadd_fin
3DS FC
4527-8856-2512
My Ganondorf in a 2 VS. 2 in this tournament, which Haru Akenaga and I won. My opponents were Lord Tentacruel (Donkey Kong in the video) and ZinogreVolt (Peach in the video), as seen in the Challonge brackets.

whyd you keep trying to get a UpTilt?

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Ganondorf's Utilt has the second most knockback of all of his moves behind Warlock Punch. I was trying to get early kills.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Here's another video of Pon against Rob and Falco.

Just a quick question @ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG

What did Pon do at 0:34-0:40 to grab the gyro without attacking or air dodging?

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm Z grab most likely.

Oh by the way since Pon has his stuff on youtube, I recommend watching the 7th video of his For Glory series. I won't spoil it, but I guarantee you won't regret it.

Last edited:

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Another 2 VS. 2 in which I used Ganondorf. Sorry for the terrible quality:

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
Also, I would love feedback on my Dorf play. The more critical, the better. This is a representative match I had against a solid Megaman main.

Smash 4 GAF Friendlies - Tipster vs Karsticles: http://youtu.be/osEsVAkzK-Y

The finale was rather disappointing, and obviously my SD was a shame, but I want to know what other tools I am not making use of, or what big mistakes I am making.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Also, I would love feedback on my Dorf play. The more critical, the better. This is a representative match I had against a solid Megaman main.

Smash 4 GAF Friendlies - Tipster vs Karsticles: http://youtu.be/osEsVAkzK-Y

The finale was rather disappointing, and obviously my SD was a shame, but I want to know what other tools I am not making use of, or what big mistakes I am making.
You really shouldn't have lost this match. You were too afraid to space aggressively with aerials in several situations that could have punished him really hard for blatant spacing mistakes. Also when recovering, WDK actually gives you a lot more distance making recovery easier.

Furthermore later towards the match you seemed to forget that your grab was an option to pressure him, and that this is necessary to mix up with your tilts when your opponent blocks your tilts. In general you let him get away with a lot of really clear spacing mistakes that he should have been KOed for. I would mostly recommend learning to space your aerials accurately on demand. Ganon's aerials are all very powerful, and knowing when to use them is extremely important.

Last edited:

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
You really shouldn't have lost this match. You were too afraid to space aggressively with aerials in several situations that could have punished him really hard for blatant spacing mistakes. Also when recovering, WDK actually gives you a lot more distance making recovery easier.

Furthermore later towards the match you seemed to forget that your grab was an option to pressure him, and that this is necessary to mix up with your tilts when your opponent blocks your tilts. In general you let him get away with a lot of really clear spacing mistakes that he should have been KOed for. I would mostly recommend learning to space your aerials accurately on demand. Ganon's aerials are all very powerful, and knowing when to use them is extremely important.
Thank you. It is day 5 of playing Dorf, so I am learning a lot still.

Can you give any specific times in the video where you think I should have done B, but did A instead?

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
Thank you. It is day 5 of playing Dorf, so I am learning a lot still.

Can you give any specific times in the video where you think I should have done B, but did A instead?
You play Sm4sh? I remember you from the SRK site for your Dorm info in Marvel.

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
You play Sm4sh? I remember you from the SRK site for your Dorm info in Marvel.
Thanks! Yes, I play a lot of things. I mained Bowser until a week ago. I got tired of how many unique drawbacks he has, though. Practicing Dorf until Mewtwo is out. I am not entranced by any character here, though.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Here are two videos of me (Ganondorf) and Haru Akenaga (Shulk) teaming up in a 2 VS. 2. We won the first one, but lost the second one, though the second one was against two professional streamers, Jtails and Direonfire.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Here's another video of Pon against Rob and Falco.

Just a quick question @ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG

What did Pon do at 0:34-0:40 to grab the gyro without attacking or air dodging?
I see Pon is practicing some of Gungnir's techs midmatch. I imagine against a lesser foe he'd have been successful more often, but the windows are tight on some of those inputs. Couple of his footstool jumps seemed to go too high.

Man, ROB is annoying. Same thing over and over but somehow it's effective. That Falco was slick. Lots of pivot tech. Think I saw perfect pivot into bairs, lasers, filts, and maybe a grab or two. It's hard to tell for sure.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Yeah, I'll add you in just a minute
Room's up, are you joining?
EDIT: GGs man, you've got a really solid Dorf.
Also speed is for chumps, all you need is more power

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
About to play Pon in a bunch of dittos. I believe he'll be recording and uploading a lot of our games.

Fun fun fun.

Edit: Yeah, he will. Be prepared for some high level Ganon Wii U dittos!

Last edited:

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
Be as critical as possible. I see many mistakes I made, but I'm sure there are more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dZmlD38eDAM
I feel like there was some slight overuse of rolls when positioning, try not to react by rolling into your opponent. Stick to retreating dashes, shield, roll aways, and spot dodges. Additionally, I don't think I saw you tech a single fall. You almost got some successful tech chases on Flame Choke into Flame Choke, but you used it too early while he was still in I-frames from the roll. You too often attempted to contest Luigi's frame advantage with laggy moves like Flame Choke after being hit, instead of falling back and returning to neutral. Your approach game was too heavily reliant on grounded Usmash, Flame Choke, DA, and Wizard's Dropkick. Mixing it up with some empty short hops, Nairs, and aerial Flame Chokes would help you get in.

Hope this helped. You made good use of Usmash and some ledge-canceled Down-B's. You also landed good Flame Chokes in neutral, you just need to polish up your tech chase game to capitalize better since you ended up getting punished off of every single one.

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
I feel like there was some slight overuse of rolls when positioning, try not to react by rolling into your opponent. Stick to retreating dashes, shield, roll aways, and spot dodges. Additionally, I don't think I saw you tech a single fall. You almost got some successful tech chases on Flame Choke into Flame Choke, but you used it too early while he was still in I-frames from the roll. You too often attempted to contest Luigi's frame advantage with laggy moves like Flame Choke after being hit, instead of falling back and returning to neutral. Your approach game was too heavily reliant on grounded Usmash, Flame Choke, DA, and Wizard's Dropkick. Mixing it up with some empty short hops, Nairs, and aerial Flame Chokes would help you get in.

Hope this helped. You made good use of Usmash and some ledge-canceled Down-B's. You also landed good Flame Chokes in neutral, you just need to polish up your tech chase game to capitalize better since you ended up getting punished off of every single one.
Thanks. I'll work on that while I practice tonight. My roll habits are garbage

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Shog's write-up's really solid. The only thing I really have to add is that you need to become more comfortable throwing out Ganon's aerials. Staying grounded with Ganon's like using a hammer to crack a walnut. All of these relatively safe aerials that deal tons of damage and knockback. So yeah, my addition is to work on aerials more.

Also, finally got my hands on a 3DS again, so I can start putting stuff up again. Here's a recent one against a Japanese Bowser Jr.:

I should be getting a WiiU soon, too. How nice it'll be to finally have UAir back again.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Finally, I'll be able to have that match against you @ Vermanubis Vermanubis .

I promise to be an interesting challenge. I intend to prove my victories in that tournament aren't simply for show.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
We gotta play again Verm, I've been experimenting with customs and would love to play you with them.

Also, I was talking to Troof and he wants to play you some more @ Vermanubis Vermanubis .

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
Shog's write-up's really solid. The only thing I really have to add is that you need to become more comfortable throwing out Ganon's aerials. Staying grounded with Ganon's like using a hammer to crack a walnut. All of these relatively safe aerials that deal tons of damage and knockback. So yeah, my addition is to work on aerials more.

Also, finally got my hands on a 3DS again, so I can start putting stuff up again. Here's a recent one against a Japanese Bowser Jr.:

I should be getting a WiiU soon, too. How nice it'll be to finally have UAir back again.
Your turnaround grabs are always so on point. I suck at those.

Top Bottom