• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Power! (Matchmaking & Video Thread)

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
:yoshi:MU: I think you played well, you were patient, powershielded a lot of his annoying eggs and you didn't overcommit too much . I feel like you should have won this match if it weren't for your unfortunate mistake at the end(holding shield too long). One thing I noticed is that you don't press your advantage hard enough though. I realized that once Yoshi is in the air, you usually wait for him to get back on stage and react from there. Be aggressive with Uair and Nair, if spaced correctly, he can't do much to us. Of course he could Down-B but you can easily predict that and punish him even harder. General thing: Nair and Uair OoS are decent options against people in the air.

:4villagerf:: Be aggressive with her. The main problem is her slingshot which wall us out. That means you want to get in her face. Of course the general rule of patience apply(powershield a lot and hold your shield a bit longer because his moves last forever). Villagers side-b has start up, use your Dash Attack as soon as she pulls that **** out. Try to mix up your recovery a bit(you were always and recover as fast as possible. You do not want give a Villager enough time to think how he can ruin you offstage.
You did a pretty good job Vs Yoshi, but there were a lot of situations where you should've used Dtilt.
Nice PSing.

Vs VIllager, you were too aggro and got caught in the beginning of you Dash a lot of times.
Sometimes, a simple roll towards him is beneficial, as long as you don't end up in Frame Disadvantage and/or are being too predictable with it.
I'll take your criticism to heart, thank you!

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I'll be on this stream in about an hour or so: http://www.twitch.tv/thatgamestore/
Support me, my fellow Ganons.
I won't be here, but I'll be the in spirit :colorful:

Also, few more Rosalina videos. I'm tremendously happy with how I've matured in this MU. This Rosa I fight against forces me to play really patiently, because he punishes my whiffs and commitments so hard. He definitely forces my best play out of me.

In the interest of not overshadowing Gari though, http://www.twitch.tv/thatgamestore/ go watch him and support him if you see this!

Last edited:

Garioshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Garioshi
3DS FC
2793-1760-2194
Well that was lovely. Lost a close game to a Ganon (I feel I'm on par with him) which was SUPPOSED to be on stream, curbstomped a Link, and then came the third match. He was a Ganon I destroyed before, but he chose Mewtwo. I picked WFT because she had a better chance, I won, he counterpicked Dorf, I lost due to some BS on Castle Siege, switched to Dorf, and then my controller just decided to **** me up. Shameful tournament.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
Well that was lovely. Lost a close game to a Ganon (I feel I'm on par with him) which was SUPPOSED to be on stream, curbstomped a Link, and then came the third match. He was a Ganon I destroyed before, but he chose Mewtwo. I picked WFT because she had a better chance, I won, he counterpicked Dorf, I lost due to some BS on Castle Siege, switched to Dorf, and then my controller just decided to **** me up. Shameful tournament.
I think you should have played Ganon on the 3rd match. Still man, you did your thing so just do better next time. In my tourney last month I came in 9th (it was also my first in years)

Last edited:

Garioshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Garioshi
3DS FC
2793-1760-2194
I did play Ganon on the third match tho.
The last time I did well, I lost in Losers' Quarterfinals to who would take third place.

Kyogokudo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoshiboo62
3DS FC
0301-9917-1099
Finally tried to record some replays again as I'd like your opinions. Took me a while to do so as I don't have a capture card. First is one of my game with SykkaMorre, one of the only I ever won. Most important are 3 games vs what I think is an above average Pikachu player. I don't know much about the MU and as I won all the games I'm quite wondering if it was because I did good or the opponent was just meh.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Finally tried to record some replays again as I'd like your opinions. Took me a while to do so as I don't have a capture card. First is one of my game with SykkaMorre, one of the only I ever won. Most important are 3 games vs what I think is an above average Pikachu player. I don't know much about the MU and as I won all the games I'm quite wondering if it was because I did good or the opponent was just meh.
I definitely can tell you improved since the last time we played. I would say the main thing that stands out to me is that your spacing, while improved, is pretty rough around the edges. The Pikachu matches are a good example of this, as your opponent wasn't sure how to react or space against Flame Choke, and you defaulted to it a lot as a midrange option in situations where your opponent definitely was in a position to avoid it. It won you the games, sure, but what you should have taken from that is how you ultimately relied more on your opponent's sloppy spacing rather than more carefully judging the efficiency of your positioning to win.

It's an especially hard habit to break online where a few frames delay make Flame Choke even harder to defend against.

And then I guess I could ramble again about how people need to get on my level at edgeguarding especially in the ditto matchup, although perhaps it's easier demonstrated. :p

...maybe I should seriously consider writing a guide.

Last edited:

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
Hello, I decided to share my playlist, which is currently in expansion.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqlOtCAOLf_oiR6Js-5MvxNIGKSAr7xbY

It's basically me x some friends.
Some may not be that skillful, but I still think we managed to have some nice matches.
People looking for Custom Ganon matches might enjoy some videos as well, as I use 2122 Ganon and sometimes I show what he can do.

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
Still down for Smashing later on in the day, I guess hit me up if interested.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
It might be a little while before my matches from this week go on Youtube, so anyone who's interested can view them in this stream archive:

http://www.twitch.tv/events2compete/v/5043624

Winners Quarters: 0:39:00
Winners Semis: 1:30:20
Losers Semis: 2:33:05

If you don't want to watch all of them, I'd recommend the first two matches. I was kinda bumbling around in Losers Semis because I didn't know the MU.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
It might be a little while before my matches from this week go on Youtube, so anyone who's interested can view them in this stream archive:

http://www.twitch.tv/events2compete/v/5043624

Winners Quarters: 0:39:00
Winners Semis: 1:30:20
Losers Semis: 2:33:05

If you don't want to watch all of them, I'd recommend the first two matches. I was kinda bumbling around in Losers Semis because I didn't know the MU.
Hey, unrelated, but are you going to Combo Breaker? I might be going and playing Ganon/DK/Ike/Dr. Mario. I don't have many Ganon vids, but some DK ones.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Yup I am. I'm going to Dismantle and Smash n Splash too. Come find me if you do go and we'll get in some matches!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Here is a match i just had on for glory

PS: How do you post the whole video and not the link?
Like the guy above me did?
Nice montage man Ganon Is beast bro.
Wow..i was wondering what to do after Wizkick ledge cancel...omg..i never thought of jumping back..wow..you done some insane crazy stuff your beast.

Last edited:

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/v/5353759

1:31:30 is my winner's semis match with Day, who was seeded first in my pool. I got 2-0'd but it was a close set. I should have had game 2 but his Fsmash killed me at 60% from all the way across the stage T_T I'm still trying to understand this game. Regardless, D1's on the mic and there are some pretty hype moments.

I'm not sure what placing I got overall since it was bracket pools straight into top 16 (so only the top 2 get out), but I got 5th out of 18 in my pool and there were 8 pools, so I'm guessing I got 33rd out of about 150. Can't complain for my first Smash 4 regional. I have 2 more coming up so hopefully I'll improve on this placing.

Last edited:

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Anyone up for some matches? I can't play today, but send me a request so we can play sometime, my NNID is Pizzamonkey24

Abbey Street

Smash Apprentice
NNID
abbeystreet
3DS FC
4511-0701-9758
User name: Abbey Street
In-Game name: Abbey St.
3DS Friend Code: 4511-0701-9758
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: abbeystreet (don't have own WiiU yet, hopefully in September)
Country of Residence: Canada
Palette Colour: Bluedorf

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Grand Finals
That's a really good Ganon player. He played the Toon Link matchup almost exactly as I would have expected it to be played Patiently shielding his way in and winning with edgeguards.

Kyogokudo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoshiboo62
3DS FC
0301-9917-1099
Maybe for a few games. Let's go if you're on. I will have to leave relatively soon, but now can work.
Alright I'm up for this. I'll let you decide if you want customs or not. Feel free to use other characters too.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
That's a really good Ganon player. He played the Toon Link matchup almost exactly as I would have expected it to be played Patiently shielding his way in and winning with edgeguards.
That Toon Link was not all that great imo. But the way Ganon played that match was smart, pick your battles and use perfect shielding to the best of your ability and he gets alot easier to deal with. That bomb grab at 45 seconds is something I wanna know more about though. Oh @ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG I sent you a replay on Wii U so can you check it and tell me what I need to do and not do against Falcon? I sent it to @ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm too. I'd really appreciate it if you guys could critique it for me.

Last edited:

Kyogokudo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoshiboo62
3DS FC
0301-9917-1099
GGs A2, I'm still not good enough to put up a challenge for you. =P
Those off stage reads though, I try to mix up the way I recover and you always have the perfect option to crush me. I so need to learn that.
Anyone else up for playing? Looking at you especially @ Vermanubis Vermanubis .
E: Well I gotta go now. We should try to find a precise date to play. As always, **** timezones.

Last edited:

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
Just for my entertainment @ Vermanubis Vermanubis should record some of the matches against Kyo so I can watch them. I'll have to go buy popcorn soon.

Top Bottom