• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Battle for Power! (Matchmaking & Video Thread)

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
Played and little this morning. I posted a replay against a Dark Pit just to try out that share feature. So if you search for Ganondorf matches or my user name. Check it out. I wish they fixed the having to exit to add friends or really we need an in game chat. I don't want to have to exit a game to see a message from someone.
We can search by user name? If so that's awesome because I can have people search my stuff and either record it if they want or comment on what I need to work on.

Kyogokudo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoshiboo62
3DS FC
0301-9917-1099
We can search by user name? If so that's awesome because I can have people search my stuff and either record it if they want or comment on what I need to work on.
Sadly no. Closest thing is searching by friends. Shared the replays Scraptor (only 2 though), go ahead and comment people !

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
The Blind's Battle Instinct
Me (Ganondorf) VS. Flippy456 (Mewtwo)

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
@ Opana Opana Did you notice the true down throw to usmash combo a bit away and beneath a platform on Mewtwo?

It connected due to Mewtwo's size.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
@ Opana Opana Did you notice the true down throw to usmash combo a bit away and beneath a platform on Mewtwo?

It connected due to Mewtwo's size.
Now that you mention it I might, not positive though. Also I think Usmash->Grab will work, need to test but it works on a lot of characters already.

GGs, I expected to get wrecked lol, I'm really putting all my attention on Mewtwo for a bit although I go into fg every now and then to try and get stuff for the community vid lol.

I think playing you is really important because we're both aggressive, it shows me some neat stuff.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Just in case nobody checked my channel recently, I did actually upload really old replays of me from January, when I was basically new to Smash 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOsXk0sjA1Y

@ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm while I know these aren't by far the best examples of my gameplay, I can give you the files if you find something useful. I'm still in the process of working on more of my pre-patch replays. If you don't like the quality though then I guess I'll have to just directly send you post-patch replays.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
GGs Blob. It's a shame our connection wasn't very good this time. Maybe some other time.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
GGs! No idea what happened at the end there, but all the other matches were great!
Felt like the connection was uneven and that I wasn't quite on my game. You're a good training partner though.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Great OP with some great videos. Guess I kinda underestimated the king's power! His straightforward and defensive moveset really makes, at least a trapping and aggressive player like me, you think more strategically and play safely while also reading the opponent hard, and punishing them as hard as possible. Very interesting. I need to learn how to make full use of up-air and neutral air, as well as down-special cancelling at the ledge into down or forward air. Also need to learn patience and read better. This thread has inspired me so!

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25397195

Just watch the Falcon and Ike matches. This is just insanity to the max and beautiful.

Can we just rename "0-death combos" to "Ganon_Gungnir combos"?

Also, at about 4:00, what is with the hitbox on that F-air.

I'd like to do some matches later tonight if anyone's interested. I'm going to be testing unorthodox custom combinations to see if they have any use.

Last edited:

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
Since replay sharing is a thing I wanna share some with you guys of my sparring matches and stuff to see what I need work on. I say this because I'm curious on who would wanna check them out to give me critiques and such.

Last edited:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile

Can we just rename "0-death combos" to "Ganon_Gungnir combos"?

Also, at about 4:00, what is with the hitbox on that F-air.

I'd like to do some matches later tonight if anyone's interested. I'm going to be testing unorthodox custom combinations to see if they have any use.
Watched that bit at 4 minutes a few times. I think Ike's arm goes out to swing his sword and is a hurtbox.

mgleed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mgleed
I've been maining Ganondorf in SSB4 for the last couple of months, and I'd like to step up my game a bit and get off of the plateau. I've mostly been practicing on For Glory for several hours a week, and I get together with some friends about once a week for more casual play. I seem to fare well online, with my last 100 matches being ~67% win rate and I usually play each opponent to best of 3 before moving on.

Would you mind checking out the linked video here of a couple online matches where I struggled and provide some feedback? I owe a lot of errors to input delay (and, granted, general incompetence), but I know the same delay affects the opponents in these matches. Any general/specific feedback, suggestions, or how you would have approached these matches differently are welcome! Thank you!

Here is the link:

Last edited:

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
I've been maining Ganondorf in SSB4 for the last couple of months, and I'd like to step up my game a bit and get off of the plateau. I've mostly been practicing on For Glory for several hours a week, and I get together with some friends about once a week for more casual play. I seem to fare well online, with my last 100 matches being ~67% win rate and I usually play each opponent to best of 3 before moving on.

Would you mind checking out the linked video here of a couple online matches where I struggled and provide some feedback? I owe a lot of errors to input delay (and, granted, general incompetence), but I know the same delay affects the opponents in these matches. Any specific feedback, suggestions, or how you would have approached these matches differently are welcome! Thank you!

Here is the link:
1. You whiffed a lot of D-smash and F-smash. The only smash that you are allowd to whiff is U-smash because of its IASA frames, his other smashes are extremly laggy and punishable you should ever only use F-smash to punish rolls, spotdodges or airdodges and D-smash really only for rolls behind you. With that said U-smash covers these options(something you did at 2:39) as well but F-smash is sometimes more powerful

2. Use Dash Attack more. It is a really powerful option and the sourspot of DA is a combo starter for Uair, Nair and sometimes Fair. Obviously if you use it too much they will shield it which is why it is important that you mix your Dash Attack up with either Flame Choke(which eats shield) or wait for them to drop their shield which you can punish with Dtilt or DA.

3. Stop rolling too much. This Palutena didn't do it but it is very easy to punish opponents who roll too much, since they are predictable. Also by rolling too much you missed a lot of opportunities to punish. For example 0:57 instead of rolling away you could have flame choked her.

4. Dashing and powershielding is Ganons bread and butter. Learn to do it. I know it's hard to do online but choosing the path of Ganon is always difficult.:demon:

5. Stay away from Palus jab. She gets stupid grabs out of it and none of our grounded option is fast enough so our goal should be to stay in midrange where Ganon outranges her and space well with his D-tilt and F-tilt.

Btw, Palus Dash Attack goes through everything.

Last edited:

mgleed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mgleed
1. You whiffed a lot of D-smash and F-smash.
3. Stop rolling too much. This Palutena didn't do it but it is very easy to punish opponents who roll too much, since they are predictable. Also by rolling too much you missed a lot of opportunities to punish. For example 0:57 instead of rolling away you could have flame choked her.
Very helpful. I've noticed the pros roll a lot less than I do, I just need to play less scared, I guess. As far as the whiffed smash attacks, I definitely noticed as I watched the replays--I know probably half of them are when I intended to use tilts but screwed up under pressure, gotta practice more. All the suggestions are helpful, time to get to work. Thanks!

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43

Would you mind checking out the linked video here of a couple online matches where I struggled and provide some feedback? I owe a lot of errors to input delay (and, granted, general incompetence), but I know the same delay affects the opponents in these matches. Any general/specific feedback, suggestions, or how you would have approached these matches differently are welcome! Thank you!

Here is the link:
In addition to the advice given to you previously one big thing you can do is just move around more. Empty movement is good for Ganondorf, whether it's dashing forward a bit then stopping, empty shorthopping, running into shield, or even just walking forward. You spend a lot of time just throwing out attacks, which is something you don't want to do too much as Ganondorf because most of his attacks are punishable when whiffed. Empty movements can put pressure on your opponent and bait them into doing something punishable. Also it gives you a chance to see how your opponent reacts to certain situations so you can respond accordingly and punish these tendencies.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
The matches from the tourney where Vermanubis recently got third have been uploaded. I just watched them with a few Links and our jimmies have been rustled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEstTaO9QeU (vs. Wang's Sheik, loser's semis)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70yBB-uiQiU (vs. Papa Ruigi's Bowser)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWDMQeK4iE (vs. 20LiftLift's Sheik)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rSmA79r-EM (vs. Shiny's Lucario, loser's finals)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0N992LDhI4 (vs. Pop Off Prime's Ness)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExjzlFYhfHc (vs. Jamnt0ast's Villager, winner's semis)

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Oh my lol.

I played so, so awkwardly in a lot of these. :p In my defense, aside from the Wang, Jamnt0ast and Shiny matches, my play wasn't as serious as it probably should've been since I was in a hurry. Not to mention, in the Papa Rugi match, I kill myself twice with DAir. Reason being, that was my first time using a GC controller, and it kept making me fastfall. While the GC controller was in no way responsible for my losses, it was definitely the cause of some very awkward plays and timings (one of which I just noticed was continually USmashing after dthrow instead of UAir.)

Still some good ones in there though. :colorful:

Thanks for posting these though, VD.

Last edited:

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
From playing some people I noticed you can wizkick a Villager at 15% while he hangs on the ledge with no invincibility and it kills if he spams the exploding balloons with counter timber trick. It replaces WDK but it's good trade off for that MU with that strategy.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
Hey @ the king of murder the king of murder the room is back up, had to turn off tap jump since I lent my ds to a friend

Edit: gonna play some fg, message me if anyone would like to play on the 3ds

Last edited:
Top Bottom