• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Basic Brawl Friend Finder [It's like a diary of replays!]

Zulo

Smash Ace
This dark MK who just did the shield signal at me and then again when I answered had better not be any of you. If so, stop with the fan. Rahggfkhf.

Edit: Actually ran into someone who seems to be better than me. Though every match has been on Temple. They use Link, Lucario, and ROB so far. Also want to thank you for standing back and watching as I fought that random MK.

These are pretty good matches now that we're going to FD, even though there's the occasional stupid bomb item selection by a certain MK.

Vs. Snake on Temple when other two are on opposite corner of screen. Grenades are exactly 1 pixel.

kaazers

Smash Master
Yes. I all but confirmed my suspicions when I saw that Pink MK for one round.

Edit: Too bad there's lag... not that obvious lag, but that kinda-there-kinda-not lag that really messes you up.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
;_; awwwwwwww, GGs. I wanted to give you better Diddy experience but my connection screwed us to Hell and back (might've been someone else in the room, but my connection is generally terribad). Your Ike is developing well, so gj with that.

oh, and adapting to lag isn't that difficult. Just get a hold of the buffer window offline and wifail lag strangely becomes much easier to handle. Going from Wifail to Melee is stupid difficult, lol...

kaazers

Smash Master
gg's, 9Kplus1! I got owned during these fights. xD I think P3 (for me it looked like P3 anyway) DC'd us. >>

But homg I never fought even a semi-decent Diddy before. I had zero experience there. How many times did I slip on the same banana? rofl

And your Ganondorf… I think I would have been happier if you'd stay MK all those rounds.

As for the lag... I don't think I'll ever be able to adjust to that. My Ike did stupid things I don't even remember inputing the commands for. Forget fastfalling some of those aerials. And I don't think it was my internet connection since it's usually good, especially during this time of the day.

-Also appreciate you giving me some of that Diddy experience. No one I know plays Brawl so that leaves me with my sister and BB. Seriously.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Oh yeah, that almost-combo with Ganon was ****. You got tore up by Nado, btw -- learn to powershield it more. Trust me, it works wonders vs dumb MKs like me, as you can grab / bair the bat right out of his nado. I have a load more advice to give, but you'll have to PM me for that :p

kaazers

Smash Master
I did try to powershield it. TRY being the keyword. xD Yeah, gotta work on that.

I know that you can bair/fair/nair the bugger out of Nado. Ike just didn't seem to be where I thought he would be by the time I touched the c-stick, though. >> You can GRAB him out of it, though? Did not know that.

Also, I do appreciate any help I can get. I will be PMing you afterwards!

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
For me, over the last few months, meeting a compentent player has proved absolutely sporadic. It's somewhat uncanny; several months ago, BB was teeming with at least half-decent players, with an exceptionally superb player appearing ever so infrequently. It's just mildly unsettling what's happened to BB's inhabitants, as many of the discernibly adept players seem to have almost vanished. Perhaps it's just me, but something has definitely changed over the span of several months.:applejack:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
^ I think there is a decent amount of skilled players out there, but that's completely blocked out by the flooding masses of noobs. I go to bed at night tormented, knowing there are taunt groups out there somewhere screwing everything and seperating good players by clogging up ****ing BB.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
That's certainly odd, as I've been starting to run into more players with a fairly strong grasp of Brawl's mechanics (i.e, players with enough skill to put up a fight, without placing me at risk to picking up bad habits) as of recent. They (we) are simply just hidden really well in the woodwork and need to be baited out; I'm sure that this is because even great players want to relax, watch scrubs go ape **** on one another, show off their tech skill, or even use doubtlessly less skilled players as practice fodder (or, similar to myself, a method of staying focused). Messing around with 'distant', uncannily repetitious, or even idle players could reveal a player with great knowledge of and skill in this game. Some of them... simply will not respond to being enticed into playing, which is vexing, obviously. (That's an entirely different story, however). I reiterate: it's really just a matter of testing the waters in the more lax of rooms. On average, I usually find a decent player one out of every five room, simply by accepting every possible outcome (someone to practice on, a chance to gain a couple of drones to fend off possible crashers, or someone that will pop my ego and give me some very good matches) and being aggressive as a result.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Abysmal couple weeks

The last couple weeks or so have been nothing short of abysmal for the most part. I just got on today after being away for a few days to see if anything has changed. Let's see: I get 8 kills in a Team Battle with 2 deaths and each of the other players gets a -2 score. Yep, the item trolls are getting worse. I disconnected that group, and have tried others to no avail. It's a pretty sad state of affairs.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
^ I know. Every time I go on there, I see something even more gay or ******** than last time.

I.E., some some Marth that would chase someone, stop, and spam jab. Wifi is getting too damn pathetic. :glare:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I mean, I still encounter relatively "good" players, but I seldom converge with a very learned player. I do not wholly expect to encounter them on a basis, but they have just about disappeared for me, unless my standards are a bit too high.:applejack:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
They aren't, although it depends on how you classify said "good" players.

I classify them as "not good enough".

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Relatively good, when contrasted to the aforementioned "noob." I have a habit of euphemizing even the worst of things, so I would refer to "noobs" as logically inept when it comes to Brawl. "Exceptionally good", in coordinance to my standards, would mean above average, or outstanding, but the latter is not meant to connote. Exceptionally good players can fend for themselves in a group, and show a great deal of knowledge in their play. Not enough to be incredible, but I think you understand.:applejack:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Still not being very clear about what makes a good player.

My list.

NOOB: spams crap moves and can't recover

GAY NOOB: Spams dodge rolls, gay attacks, and lots of items.

GOOD: Knows one or two techs and doesn't spam much; may or may not use items

ABOVE AVERAGE: Knows their skills and can **** anything in their path.

EDIT: Ike and Pit spammers infesting Wifi. It disgusts me incomprehensibly. No wonder I'm getting salty.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I really do not think I can expound in any greater detail, lol. Using your list, my standards would indicate "good" in a definition similar to yours, but they utilize these techs a lot, and keeps spamming to a bare minimum. If it differs from your definition at all, it's by mere smidgen.:applejack:

FIREL

Smash Ace
Going **** :dk2: ****. WIFI is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE TONIGHT, NOT 1 GOOD PLAYER (or someone who's not bad but still sucks)...
All I got was....
NOOB: spams crap moves and can't recover

GAY NOOB: Spams dodge rolls, gay attacks, and lots of items
ENJOY THE APE ****!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh... and Happy new years everybudy! :bee:.

kaazers

Smash Master
While I don't go attacking every person I see, I have gotten one or two (usually one) good fights a day during this past week late at night. They're usually up to par with all of you who frequent this thread -- those of you I've fought anyways. I'm sure all the people I post about are from/know of SWF. Now whether they know about this thread or want to reveal themselves is another matter.

But yeah… haven't really fought anyone good today. And the only decent ones I have fought were the ones who instantly assumed I was a "scrub" (Okay, so I lack tech skills… >>) picked on me for one round and then left the next.

Echoing FIREL here:

Happy New Years!

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
2012's here! We lived to see another year!

I too chased around noobs and destroyed them. It reminded me of Broly crushing all of the Saiyans and laughing in sadistic pleasure the whole time in DBZ movie 10.

I've found one or two good players since Christmas break started, but mostly scrubs.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Why does everybody here think there so great. Yea they complain about the holiday n00bs. but U never know, one of them could be 50 million times better than you.

anyway happy new years. yall should celebrate with a bucket of OFC. I know I am. I will be looking to cg moar people on BB for no damn reason just because Iam bored. OFC.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
No reason, just my own genius. And I don't judge a noob until I fight them. That usually concludes my suspicions of them being a noob. If they aren't a total noob, they'll be a gay noob or in rare cases, a decent player.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I think it could only be vaguely implied by how bad some call a majority of BB, but aside from that, I'm uncertain of where you'd get that we're so bombastic.:applejack: I for one welcome the thought of having someone exponentially greater than me in BB, let alone Brawl. I could not care less about my skill, especially after I quit.

I'm celebrating with OFC.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
3 hours with a group!

At last, I had some fun with a group in Team Battle from about 4 to 7 a.m. EST. I normally would not be on at such hours if it weren't for having to remote into work around that time. Good games everyone. It stayed in Final Destination the whole time, except perhaps once on Battlefield in that whole 3 hour window. Man, I rarely stick with a group that long, but I needed something to keep me awake, even if it was starting to fail in the later rounds. I guess I don't have quite as much stamina after gaming that long with a group.

The best part was that it stayed itemless most of the time, and it seemed like most of our matches went to Sudden Death, at least in the early hours. That itself is a tell-tale sign that you have a good group. Kudos especially to the Kirby. It's extremely rare to see a good one online. There was also a Wolf who stayed on that character as well. The Mario/Sonic eventually switched over to Ike and some other characters. I was Wario most of the time, but I had to switch it up so things wouldn't get too stale.

Strangely someone started picking items, but everyone was kind of ignoring them as best they could. Whenever I was Wario, I'd just try to eat what I could, even though it was starting to interfere with the good fights. I'd like to meet up with the group again, but my schedule does not normally allow me to be on at such hours. Holidays seem to be the best time to run into players I wouldn't otherwise normally encounter. I'm glad I can still find good players in random matches, despite the latest influx of item-happy newcomers.

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
Did the shield signal late last night and a green MK jumped on me like hotcakes. xD Unfortunately it got disconnected. D: We were on Warioware, I was Pit for that match.

Pretty uneventful after that... I fought a roll-happy Lucario and a noob Toon Link/Kirby that spammed nothing but ray guns. Sigh.

Zulo

Smash Ace
I've fought a few good players in the past couple days, but not that much. I've mostly been using GaW because idk he's fun to use. And he's really good in free for all with those epic smashes and big aerials. And 9-hammer. :D

So yeah. If you run into a GaW it might be me if a) I'm trolling floaty characters with uair, b) I spam nair like I'm still Marth, and/or c) I switch to another character and still try to bucket break. I can actually bucket break pretty well, the problem is I can't stop doing it when I switch characters.

TheFourthOctave

Smash Cadet
I've seen one possibly good player on BB the last few days, a gold Link who didn't really want to fight. Other than that, mostly unskilled players. I might have actually won a few times with Solimar.

I can't find any skilled people on TB at all, though at least I haven't found any parties.

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
Good players on TB are once in a blue moon. All the good players go into BB.

Anyway today I had a nice 1vs1 going on with a green hatted Jigglypuff. I was red Marth. The Jiggs also went black ZSS for one round but stayed Jiggs the rest of the time. Also yesterday I had a shorter 1vs1 with green Mario, with interfering P3 Snake and P2 PT.

Otherwise, my stereotype of P2 being the 1vs1er of the group has been roughly 50% accurate. I have also become quite good at drawing out 1vs1's...maybe I should write a guide.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Yes, a guide would be excellent

Good players on TB are once in a blue moon. All the good players go into BB. [...]
If those good players in Basic Brawl would actually do free-for-all fights as the game intended more often (or even dual duels), then I'd perhaps favor Basic Brawl. Until that happens, Team Battle is usually more enjoyable for me (although not so much recently), since 95% of the people there want to fight. The other 4.95% are idle and 0.05% mistakenly think they're in Basic Brawl. Anyway...

[...] I have also become quite good at drawing out 1vs1's...maybe I should write a guide.
Please do write a guide. It's rare I get 1v1s with 2 legitimate spectators. When I do, one of the spectators inevitably leaves a match or two later and is replaced with someone who starts fighting the player I was just dueling. I'm tempted to ally with my former rival just to send a message to the new guy, but then I might just back off and let the two spar it out. It just gets annoying when I finally do get a good duel. Then a few matches later, nobody fights. I can only show off glitches / tricks for so long, and then I ultimately find myself going back to Team Battle because I know I'll get battles there. I just wish I could get the best of both worlds somehow. *sigh*

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
It doesn't need a guide. Show off, get people pissed, and do standing jab/shield signal/"come on" or "fight me" + Dtilts. I never fail to get a good player to fight, though noobs occasionally **** it up.:grrr:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Guides + Hackers

[...] though noobs occasionally **** it up.:grrr:
That part is precisely why I'd like to see such a guide.

Anyway, earlier today I saw a Warioman hacker in Team Battle. Unlike the more common ones in Basic Brawl, this one had no qualms about using it to his advantage. Likewise, I had no qualms about disconnecting him.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
****ing hate those. I decided to stop using character mods altogether and just use more generic, unadvantageous hacks like infinite replay and unlimited camera. I have a feeling these are noobs with some degree of hacking knowledge.

Although, depending on the codes they used, you could screw with them, too.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Warioman's little-known weakness: Super Scope!

****ing hate those. I decided to stop using character mods altogether and just use more generic, unadvantageous hacks like infinite replay and unlimited camera. I have a feeling these are noobs with some degree of hacking knowledge.

Although, depending on the codes they used, you could screw with them, too.
If I had known in advance that there would be a Warioman hacker, I would have set Super Scopes on high. I found out that it's one of Warioman's biggest weaknesses accidentally when I was Warioman in a non-hacked match. Just throw a Super Scope at him while he is flying over a pit with aerials. He will then grab the Super Scope mid-flight and start shooting it, falling to his death. Shh, don't tell anyone! ;-)

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I was really referring to Wifi P2/P3/P4 mods, although I'm not sure how that would work depending on whether they were using host or nonhost modifier codes.

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
Hum...

Blue Pit / Green Peach / Red Falco+Captain Fabulous / Random 4th Player. Sound familiar to anyone? Sometimes we fought each other, while we would occasionally team up and attack P4 or whoever we felt like. Seemed like P2 and P3 knew more about the game than they were letting on... I swear I saw that Peach glidetoss. Personally, I was a total showoff. Ehe. ^^; But that was an excellent group! I wish I knew who they were! (And of course it's with THEM when I get a disc read error.)

Top Bottom