• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Basic Brawl Friend Finder [It's like a diary of replays!]

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
No we're not exchanging codes in this thread sorry. This thread is for the people who love to do taunt parties, crash taunt parties and do team battles in With Anyone mode, but always question if they'll ever meet who they were playing with. Here, we would like to describe which brawl mode we were in and see if we can find each other. Talk about the players that were there, describe what stages you were on, if you were the crasher or not...etc. You can also post vids to refresh memories.

Rules:
-No exchanging friend codes! (Do it through PMs/VMs)
-No asking for matches!
-No spamming!
-Be polite!

Helpful Signals and Guides!
Taunt Parties
Basic Brawl/Team Battle Signals
Rolling taunt parties one room at a time; A Guide

MuttonBasher

Smash Apprentice
But we can request FCs by way of pm, right?

BTW great idea, hopefully people won't abuse this thread :)

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Yup! You can request through PMs :3
And yeah, we'll make sure of that ;)

Shinja

Smash Apprentice
Oh yay! Thanks for making this. Actually, there is someone I'm interested in looking for so here I go.

The other night, I was in Basic Brawl hoping to find a friend I was talking to. Around 2 am EST, I got connected to a light blue Yoshi who I swear I've played with before on the...*checks replays* 17th. I entered our first match as Zelda, but as soon as I noticed it was a friendly light blue Yoshi I almost had a heart attack and quickly switched to normal Marth, who I played last time we were together.

I did my best to show signs that it was me hoping they'd remember, such as crouching face to face, picking Delfino and doing the same thing we did last time(running back and forth on the beach portion to go swimming, crouching in the middle of the stage together ect) and I was super happy to think that this might be the same person. Heck, even checking the two replays they're almost identical.

We weren't into fighting, so when others joined we pretty much ignored them and avoided conflict. Especially on Skyworld where we sat off to the right side platform while Toon Link and Ike ....kind of duked it out(but not really since I'm pretty sure the stage won that round). Unfortunately, after a while we got DC'd and I didn't feel like trying to connect again since it was late.(why do I always BB late at night? haha)

SO! If this Yoshi is around...I MISS YOU MAN! If you really were the same person twice then thats just....AMAZING. I'd love to play together gain =D

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
This topic is kinda dead. Oh well.

Anyway, at about 8-almost 9 PM EST (5-6 PM PST), I, a green Zelda, met a color changing Link/Captain Falcon and two Zeldas. At first all of us Zeldas attacked the Link player, but eventually I got tired of it and I joined Link against the other Zeldas. I switched to Shiek for most of the time. After a few matches both Zelda players left, and we spent a match doing a Taunt Party together. After that, my mom booted me off the Wii, which is why I got on here immediately after. I feel really bad, especially after all the work we did just to get rid of them. xD

Let me know if that was you. It'd be nice to talk, maybe have a Brawl or two.

MuttonBasher

Smash Apprentice
My purpose here is to challenge any & every double/triple teamer to see if they can handle themselves in 1v1 lol

MuttonBasher

Smash Apprentice
Oh and it will pick up; not many people play "with anyone" as much anymore but it's nice to know that there's a portal to communicate :)

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
For as long as I can remember there's been a really timid Yoshi I'd often run across in my BB adventures.

Maybe you've seen'em? He always uses springs to get around Temple and uses Smash balls to get rid of people that annoy him. He's a strange Yoshi in that when you first see him he avoids you at all costs and stays near people he's familiar with. He often jumps and air dodges his second jump as a means to get away from you. Its a behavior he very often exhibits.

I've mimic'ed his behavior before on my DDD, air dodging into my jumps and when I'm on the ground i pivot grab. Tho once i start initiating pivot grabs, the yoshi will very often respond to my behavior by pivot grabbing himself in response to me pivot grabb'n.

First round once he sees/confirms its me, he switches from Green yoshi to red yoshi to confirm with me that its him. We've been thru plenty of tough scrapes together and we've grown on each other alot hence the reason he gets on red yoshi. He likes and trusts me alot when I'm on my red DDD cause he knows I'm the person to go to when a good player tries to **** him.

He usually comes on at night 7pm-2am EST. If you happen to see him in your room and you think its him. He usually might or might not respond to crouching. Don't force yourself on him as he'll keep avoiding you. Just chill out and play like you normally would and he'll come in to assist occasionally. He's got a strange way of punishing baddies with items, he usually holds onto an item like a capsule for a long time and tosses it at his target when they least expect it.

He also rarely taunts and does so when he recognizes me.

Meta_Ridley46

Smash Cadet
For as long as I can remember there's been a really timid Yoshi I'd often run across in my BB adventures.

Maybe you've seen'em? He always uses springs to get around Temple and uses Smash balls to get rid of people that annoy him. He's a strange Yoshi in that when you first see him he avoids you at all costs and stays near people he's familiar with. He often jumps and air dodges his second jump as a means to get away from you. Its a behavior he very often exhibits.

I've mimic'ed his behavior before on my DDD, air dodging into my jumps and when I'm on the ground i pivot grab. Tho once i start initiating pivot grabs, the yoshi will very often respond to my behavior by pivot grabbing himself in response to me pivot grabb'n.

First round once he sees/confirms its me, he switches from Green yoshi to red yoshi to confirm with me that its him. We've been thru plenty of tough scrapes together and we've grown on each other alot hence the reason he gets on red yoshi. He likes and trusts me alot when I'm on my red DDD cause he knows I'm the person to go to when a good player tries to **** him.

He usually comes on at night 7pm-2am EST. If you happen to see him in your room and you think its him. He usually might or might not respond to crouching. Don't force yourself on him as he'll keep avoiding you. Just chill out and play like you normally would and he'll come in to assist occasionally. He's got a strange way of punishing baddies with items, he usually holds onto an item like a capsule for a long time and tosses it at his target when they least expect it.

He also rarely taunts and does so when he recognizes me.
I see that Yoshi alot, also. Though if its the same person or not, baffles me to no extent. The way he doesnt taunt, avoids you, and doesn't battle, leaves me to wonder what to classify him as, a brawler or a taunter, or neither?

Anyway, i just battled with a black Fox in basic brawl. Originally it was just me and him and two other Taunt party crashers. after a while, we scared one off, and in came a toon link. Once again, we scared off the last crasher, and it was just me (i was yellow falco), fox, and toon link. Together we taunted, but after a while we somehow got disconnected. :( Anyway, if you were either, of them, well, i just wanted to say hi!

[And off topic, but can't someone just lie and tell someone it was them, when it really wasn't? That probably won't happen, but the fact that it can, ruins the whole point of this thread...

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
He just a really timid yoshi. Hes got a pretty funny way of dealing with people that annoy him and hes got a really solid yoshi anyway so hes been on these boards for sure.

This is why imo, that signal thread doesnt work. The best way to find someone is to study their behavior. After volunteering in an animal shelter for a few years, I picked up a couple of techniques for studying behavior. Animals cant talk and no one in BB can talk to you. So you have to use body language to communicate with someone. Heres a few things i picked up from BB that i know work;

Mimicry
Unique individualized behavior
Being an analytical thinker

Mimicry flatters someone. So when you mimic someone elses actions they're more likely to pay attention to your body language. I've tested this before with many people in BB. When i crouch at the end of the stage by myself, i give off a feeling of loneliness and sadness. I have had kirbys, jigglypuffs, ikes come up to me and perform the same action beside me as a involuntary response to my behavior. This is done involuntary because the user is human, therefore if the person watching me alone feels saddened they respond to the feeling by exhibiting a comforting behavior a la crouching near me. We're all programmed to react this way since we're social animals ourselves. We dont like being alone.

Unique individual behavior is a behavior someone else exclusively exhibits. This green Yoshi for example, always goes to Temple, always has Springs and smash balls turned on. He also jumps and air dodges simultaneously. These behaviors are very unique to his character. My unique behavior is never taunting, standing near the ledges of platforms and watching everyone else. And when ever someone comes near me to check me out, i lean off of the ledge like im ready to fall off. Usually i turn around and look at them then turn around back to hanging off the ledge. My items are also turned off, i really like going to Pokemon Stadium 2 and typically i choose flight over fight so if im running away from a overly zealous opponent that prolly is me.
However unique behavior can sometimes not work if the person is constantly changing items, stages, and characters. So its alittle more important to keep track of their play style. What moves do they perform most often? What do they spam? Whats combos do they like to do? Or what characters do they play on? Once you find things they consistently do its easier to track them.

And being an analytical thinker is just that, thinking about whats going on and studying what the folks in the room are doing and how they are thinking. Being aware of your surroundings figuratively and literally.

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
[And off topic, but can't someone just lie and tell someone it was them, when it really wasn't? That probably won't happen, but the fact that it can, ruins the whole point of this thread...
[Shh...don't give anyone ideas >.> <.<]

I wanna meet this Yoshi o:
I should start basic brawling more.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Welp if you find me on there im usually on a red sonic/pika/DDD and i usually just chill by myself. Just come up and approach me to say hi and i should respond with my normal behavior.

Another story;

About a year ago i played with a kirby and once we cleared the room and went 1v1 he asked to fight me by using empty grabs and fsmashing the opposite direction of me, walking towards me and crouching.

It worked too since we fought 1v1 and then as a team after the room filled up.

It pays to pay attention to people

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Alright I'll look out for you then. I normally play as Blonde Zelda now and I usually just crouch and walk around minding my own business o: Then I sometimes switch to red Fox, black Wolf, ZSS and red Ganon.

Early this year I played as Pit and was in a room with a Sonic, Bowser and a pink MK. We were at Final Destination and Bowser tried to crash the party. When he realized that we didn't want to fight (although the MK was a tad suspicious) he stopped and joined us then he fell off the ledge. Sonic and I followed suit but MK was stubborn so Sonic did his fsmash telling him to "GO!". MK would just glide under the stage and Sonic kept telling him to SD and he did.

After that we just played around. I found it kinda funny since the MK was more of the serious type and we all kept crouching and signaling him to have fun with us. He eventually attacked and Bowser wasn't having it so he dashed attacked and a fight broke out.

At the end Sonic held Bowser back by grabbing him and the MK was isolated from us.

Good times.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
Alright. So, most recently (and sorta at the time I post this), I joined a triple Kirby Ditto taunt party (say that 3 party as darker Sonic. We partied for a few matches, and when one of the Kirbies left, we kept changing characters.

Also, we battled against a crasher Dark Zelda at one point, but she left quickly. (Yes, I typed this during the Waiting Room sessions xD)

Just so anyone knows, I'll usually enter With Anyone as Dark Sonic, Saturn Ness, Red Marth or Green Zelda, most likely in that order. I'm a typical partyist; I either duck down over and over or taunt at the beginning of the match, perfectly fine with being attacked unless for crashing reasons. By the way, I'm almost always the first person to take actions against crashers. *wink wink*

Meta_Ridley46

Smash Cadet
Meta Ridley here with another taunt party story! (yeah, i play basic brawl alot, so expect me to be posting here alot)

I met two taunters, one was a zelda, one was a link that wasn't there, and lastly was a pokemon trainer (mainly charizard). I forgot who PT started out with but after seeing me be Squirtle a bunch of times, i guess he decided to copy, and started being Charizard. We went to the temple most of the brawl, and our last stage was Bridge of Elden, but after that i decided to quit, (coincidentally, so did P2).

Shinja

Smash Apprentice
I really like being able to read people's emotions in BB. Its like what Dark said, if someone is crouching alone off to the side you can tell they either feel offended, want to be alone, or are just straight up timid.

Normally, when I play Lucario or red Zelda, I play like this. I never fight unless I have to. Normally when I'm Lucario, I sit off to the upper left part of Temple to mimic the Machinima Legend of Smash. I try to be as noble as possible, if someone approaches me, I'll turn around and use my side taunt to greet them, or tell them to leave me be. Usually if I want to be left alone, I'll side taunt then move closer to the ledge.

I love to also protect other players. Earlier in the year/late last year, I could find someone to protect, but as of late, a lot of people like to fight for themselves. The whole Princess Guard thing has died down for sure, and most Zeldas/Peaches/Marths(lol) like to fend for themselves. I really like being able to read vibes players give off, its rare for me to find people that give off a vibe I like. I really enjoy Marth, Zelda, Ike and Snake players as Lucario. And lets not forget other Lucarios....s'long as they have a brain(which most don't >_> )

I'll almost never EVER participate in a 3 vs 1 if there is a crasher in the group. If two taunters are ganging up on the crasher, I won't join in on either side unless the crasher proves to be relatively nice, a good sport, and a good Brawler in general. It really bothers me when I'm sitting off to the side watching the other two fight, and the crasher decides it'd be easier to hit me(which might I add, it never is). Usually if they get close, I'll grab them and throw them back to center stage, or I'll move to the other side ect.

I really don't like super outgoing taunters that have wayyyy too much fun with everything. Also the ones that join in just so they can have someone on their side, or if theres a full group of taunters, the ones that REFUSE to die because apparently winning is a huge deal in a taunt party lol...But yeah, for the most part I try to be a respected player. I won't taunt after a KO unless I feel someone deserves it. It takes me a while to figure out who I like and who I dislike.

For instance, the other day, I was playing my usual red Zelda, and the other three taunters were rather outgoing and liked to mess around with each other ect. I wasn't feeling too into it, so I sat off to the side. Eventually, one of the players changed to red Snake and started to blow themselves up and tech at the lower part of Temple. Lately, I've been practicing my tech as well, so I decided to go down there and join him in a teching spree. Soon enough, I think he started to feel bad about my failure to tech at the higher percents resulting in my death, so he went to the large open space and started teching where I can't since it'd be suicide for me lol.

ONE THING about my red Zelda that will always prove to be me.....I'm a Mother 3 fan, so I pretend my red Zelda is Hinawa, so if there is EVER a Lucas or Claus recolor in the match...I will go to them immediately. Soooo, moral of the story? My Lucario is a gentlemen, and my Zelda is a mother lol. (oh and I like to pivot walk, especially when I sometimes play Marth like with that one light blue Yoshi : o )

I've gotta play more BB, its been a little while since I played last. Who knows, maybe I'll find myself posting here to find one of you guys XD

global-wolf

Smash Champion
So... this is from several months ago, but I just remembered it. I was playing in Team Battle as Pikachu and my teammate was a Lucas. The stage was Frigate and we ended up with a +9, and it would've been a +10 but the Bowser was in the animation of a star KO.

I don't remember who the remaining character was and I can't check right now :(

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
@Shinja - Lol I sometimes like being Lucario and act all noble and stuff. I usually just stick on walls and hang around. I have Zelda act like a normal princess, but a more content and "to herself" kinda princess. When I use black wolf or black fox, I have them be either gangster/mafia type furries or cops.

@GloW - Awww :(

U.K.L.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0061-1001-8130
on bb i never fight unless i have to, i play with 6 characters being zz ,pikachu ,mk ,marth, dd and oh yeah yoshi (mostly pikachu, zz, only mk when fighting) i pick only blue and 2 red being mk and marth. the i love going on bb and picking a one on one but only if there good lol i hate players who come to taunt parties and crash it and i never fight them i atomaticaly fight 1vs1 well.. duh and i will fight you if you threaten me for instant going up to me and jab then say dont try me yeah i fight them once im metaknight im already fighting im always looking for someone good and if everyone suck or lag i go pika pika and leave one of you should have seen that right =)

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Two days ago I was in a Basic Brawl on Final Destination brawling a purple ROB while I was dark ZSS. But in the beginning I was pink Zelda with a pink ZSS, Snake and the ROB but the pink ZSS left and I switched to blue ZSS for awhile. Then the Snake switched to green Falco and a Toon Link took the place of the previous ZSS.

While ROB was the crasher I decided to take him on 1on1 while the other two was on the other side of the stage watching. He was a decent ROB and I was really rusty so I lost a few times against him (with sudden death. without it we were pretty much tied)

I wanna brawl that ROB again :3

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
There's so many Partyists I wanna meet here it's crazy xD

Anyway, just had a TP with a Peach/ZSS/Charizard, DK/Mario, and a Luigi/Ganondorf/Diddy/Link. The latter person and I (Diddy/Bowser/Zelda + Sheik) got along pretty well, and it was actually fun hanging out with him and the others. *wishes they would actually be on Smash Boards* D:

Meta_Ridley46

Smash Cadet
Last night i brawled a Black Fox. Thing is, i swear it was the same black fox i brawled last week. Except this time we were at lylat cruise with a wolf.

Anyway, for the sake of someone trying to find me on BB, I usually am a Black Sheik, a king dedede, and/or a Red squirtle. Yeah, pretty random characters, in fact, i'm gonna change my main to random right now. :reverse:

NightDragon

Smash Cadet
I usually pick red kirby/G&W and sometimes: fireball suit luigi, green samus, green ike, blue Tlink. Ocassional, giga and warioman with some manaphy hax. :upsidedown:

There seem to be some people who 'recognize' me in BB but unfortunately I don't.. so many BBrawlers. :confused:

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
I met the timid Yoshi yesterday :D
I was ZSS on FD and he would just stand on the side and watch while the others brawl.
I would slightly push him towards to ledge and go in front of him if anyone tried anything. Then he would move across the stage back and forth every time the fight came closer.

He/she must join smash boards D:

Also there was a really good Falco/Snake player that knew how to DACUS and mindgame well. I could tell that he visits the smash sites often since he was so good and he would always step in to take down the crasher that switched from Fox to King Dedede.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
Met a Jigglypuff/ROB on Wi-Fi most recently. But believe me, the entire time I spent with them was horrid. After one single mistake, the Dark Link/Toon Link would NOT accept any freaking apology from me or them. All he did was attack us, that jerk >.>

To make things worse the Blue Kirby/Golden Pit betrayed us, and we both had to work on avoiding him. God, it was annoying, and I feel really bad for quitting because I was so fed up. I was Red Yoshi/Marth, just so you know. I changed because the Jigglypuff wanted to perform the Giga-Puff glitch.

If you were in that match, lemme know =3 (or... if you were Pit or Link, let me know... so I can hold a grudge on you =D)

awsomesauce

Smash Apprentice
I remember about a year ago I played this pro MK in team battle. He was obviously the best in the group, taking the win most of the time. It was pretty late at night and we were playing for probably about two hours. This was back when I was not so good at Brawl and did not use ROB but probably had six or seven secondaries.
Anyway, this one match I was reminded of the other day. I went Captain Falcon and he was as usual MK. About a minute into the match we are all trying to edge hog so I decided I would go for a Falcon Punch on the ledge. I did not think I would pull it off because I thought he would roll back on the stage, but he stayed and i landed it. Right after he came back and we taunted once before resuming battle.
This MK is still the best MK I have played to date. He knew many ATs and was quite technical.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I've met a MK/Falcon player once, n he was pretty good/technical. Did he sport the blue MK and a pink Falcon?

U.K.L.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0061-1001-8130
just now i battle a toonlink he was golden color and we battle 1vs1 i was z.s.s.

volume

Smash Apprentice
possibly in another dimension named winnipeg
im usually on bb... cause my friends list is empty now =/ i usually go as a blue wario (biker) yellow rob or red falcon pink mk green bandana pika red marth. i can use alot of the characters in this game but i choose specifically the best one for the party, if i feel some one if threatening me i can pull marth out and see what happens if they get to harrass like i pull out wario and if they fight i kill them or make em rage as mk either way.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Props to Snake

I'd like to give a shout out to the Snake player in Team Battle around 11ish last night. Finally, there was an item-less group on reasonable stages. They are so rare these days, that I want to play as long as I can. Anyway the Snake player was always winning at first, and it seemed like my ZSS and Wario just weren't getting the job done. For some reason, when I later switched to power suit Samus, the tables turned. I hope the Snake player didn't take offense to my gimps/edgehogs/spikes on his/her team. Right after that match, everyone left. It was one of the only matches where I forced the Snake player to a rare negative score. I hope to encounter you again soon.

Predictably the next group picked an item-fest on the Mario Bros. stage. Needless to say, I didn't stick around much longer and called it a night.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I joined a room in Team Battle yesterday with a Falcon that kept using down+b offstage. There was a Ganondorf in that room that saw the Falcon that decided to do the same thing. I was Jigglypuff and just sorta jumped around.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Don't drink the Kool-Aid!

I joined a room in Team Battle yesterday with a Falcon that kept using down+b offstage. There was a Ganondorf in that room that saw the Falcon that decided to do the same thing. I was Jigglypuff and just sorta jumped around.
That's odd. I just joined a group that was mostly suiciding. Let's just say that I chose not to drink the Kool-Aid.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
There is someone I'd like to find. We actually were brawling on BB like 30 mins ago from now. It was a brown overalled Mario. I was fighting him with a green suited Marth. We mostly brawl in the temple stage on the lower level. We appeared to be evenly matched but I got the best of him most of the time. When someone would interfere, we quickly disposed of them by working together then we'd continue. We were teaming on an Ike last I checked before I was DC'd. If you read this Mr. brown Mario, I'd really love to have another go with you 1v1 no distractions. So contact me if ya got the stones to accept this challenge. That'll be all.

Sorry if I broke one of your rules in this thread. I'm new here and well sometimes I dont pay attention to the rules. Its a habit of mine. Again I'm sorry.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
I'd also like ppl to look out for me in BB. I use a green Marth/Fire suit Luigi/Red armored Ganny/Gold tunic Link/Red suit Ike/Blue cap Ness and I think thats about it. Oh! and a Dark Falco. Yeah I know its a handful of players but there are ways to tell if its me.
-if I use one taunt repeatedly
-if I just stand still pretending im not there to rat out the attackers
-I dont taunt wen I kill someone (I find it disrespectful to other brawlers and myself) unless they deserve it
-I'll assist you if it looks like your getting owned XD
-I go straight to the upper right area in temple stage
-I keep to myself and try as best as possible to avoid a confrontation
There will also be some times where I just wanna own someone and I go after whoevers closest. Thats another way to tell if its me XD

*EDIT*: I now alternate between gold Link/red Ike/green Marth but mostly gold Link. You'll know its me if I avoid everyone unless someone comes up to me want to fight. Other than that I practically do nothing.

U.K.L.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0061-1001-8130
There will also be some times where I just wanna own someone and I go after whoevers closest. Thats another way to tell if its me XD
be careful about owning someone he might be more than you can handle:) oh yeah double post,. maybe we should all get on B.B. at the same time like 2:00pm E.T. and go on there to see who's who we tell each other to jump and yeah WHO'S WITH ME

Top Bottom