• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
NGL, I find hard to believe that E3 is actually going to happen this year, even if it's just a digital event. I know the last one was in 2019, but it still felt like an eternity. If we're going to get our last character reveals in there, it better deliver like it did in 2019. Because in my case, I didn't purchase the entire Fighters Pass Vol 1 until Banjo was announced, so let's hope this happens again with Vol 2 if our beloved Bandicoot crashes the party at Nintendo's presentation (either him or Rayman would be more than enough to make me happy).

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
NGL, I find hard to believe that E3 is actually going to happen this year, even if it's just a digital event. I know the last one was in 2019, but it still felt like an eternity. If we're going to get our last character reveals in there, it better deliver like it did in 2019. Because in my case, I didn't purchase the entire Fighters Pass Vol 1 until Banjo was announced, so let's hope this happens again with Vol 2 if our beloved Bandicoot crashes the party at Nintendo's presentation (either him or Rayman would be more than enough to make me happy).
I've got a feeling Nintendo's E3 this year is gonna highlight new games more than the next Smash characters. I have no doubt that we'll get at least one Smash reveal at E3, but they might try and focus more on showing off games like Breath of the Wild's sequel, since Aonuma stated back in February that we would get more info on it later in the year. I've also got a good feeling that we're finally gonna see Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 at E3 this year too, since it's been years since we've seen anything on them. I can also see us getting more info on Pokemon Legends Arceus, even if Pokemon info is usually shown separate from E3. That's 4 pretty big titles that have a chance of showing up, not to mention the recently leaked 2D Metroid and Donkey Kong games I've been hearing about. If they show all of that this year, plus a1 or 2 Smash characters, hell, this year might be just as stacked as 2019's was.

As for who could be revealed at E3, I have a few ideas:

1) A famous western 3rd Party character: E3 is usually the prime spot for revealing these kinds of characters since it's a big time gaming convention where most of the industry goes to show off their stuff (unless you're Sony). This could be Crash, Shantae, Spyro, Master Chief, Rayman, Doomguy, etc., though I have my doubts that we're going to be getting more than just one more western character added to Smash at this point. I hope and I pray that Crash will be that western character that gets into Smash over all of the others.

2) A famous eastern 3rd Party character: Whether people will admit this or not, Hero did fit this criteria since Dragon Quest is a famous, long-running JRPG franchise, and DQ11 was being heavily promoted to come to the Switch around this time. And honestly, these kinds of characters I feel are worthy of an E3 reveal, even if a lot of westerners don't. The only other ones I can see fitting this category are Ryu Hayabusa and a Tales of character. For Ryu, not only is he from a long-standing franchise with ties to Nintendo's history, but he's also got a collection coming out around the time E3 happens. So, this could be Hayabusa's best chance to FINALLY make it into Ultimate. As for Tales of, it's another long-running JRPG series that was apparently being considered for base game (according to one Japanese leak anyway), and alongside Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest is one of the 3 most popular JRPG series in Japan. So maybe Lloyd Irving or Yuri Lowell could be revealed at E3 at the same time as more Tales of Arise info.

3) A Nintendo character: It's happened plenty of times before, so it wouldn't surprise me if we got another Nintendo character revealed for Smash. Though in my eyes, there aren't many Nintendo characters left that I think could get in.

I will say this for Smash Ultimate at E3. If we do get a double reveal for the last 2 characters, hopefully that means that Bandai Namco were working on them at the same time, and that they'll release either simultaneously, or really close to one another like Hero and Banjo did (only a month and 4 days apart).

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
View attachment 315271
https://twitter.com/paol_b/status/1393455132063506434 <<<< Twitter link

Apparently someone asked him if it was the Smash trailer and this was the response.

It wasn't a no, but also not a yes by ANY means. So the answer prob doesn't mean anything, but I figured it was worth sharing here.
Does this lean on him probably not being allowed to say anything wink-wink nudge-nudgey about a Smash reveal per Nintendo's tight grip on Smash info before it comes out? Is he only egging the person on because he knows it's not Smash and MAYBE he and Lang haven't even been asked to voice for Smash? (which could just be reusing Crash voice clips and a silent or different actor-voiced trailer) And does this mean anything for deconfirming the Bandicoot or is this all just me overthinking it?

I mean it could also literally be him unknown (or at least pretending to not know) to what his voice clips are going towards, though it'd be a bit of a dead giveaway if one of Cortex's lines straight up mentioned Smash. But hey, I remember that the VA who was like "WHAAAAAAAAAT?" in Joker's trailer, that was her actual reaction when learning what she was doing was going to be for Smash.

Also to add onto the previous responses from people who'd later get content into Smash, there was this that we maybe need to keep in mind? Though it might have been before she was informed by Nintendo that the characters were in Smash and that she would voice them?
EDIT: Again, like the TFB person was just asked as part of an interview, but the VA here didn't HAVE to respond to this query about a Smash trailer. Though I guess you could also say the same about the aforementioned Rareware and Grant Kirkhope responses maybe both of which whilst Banjo in Smash was definitively going to be a thing?

Last edited:

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
Does this lean on him probably not being allowed to say anything wink-wink nudge-nudgey about a Smash reveal per Nintendo's tight grip on Smash info before it comes out? Is he only egging the person on because he knows it's not Smash and MAYBE he and Lang haven't even been asked to voice for Smash? (which could just be reusing Crash voice clips and a silent or different actor-voiced trailer) And does this mean anything for deconfirming the Bandicoot or is this all just me overthinking it?

I mean it could also literally be him unknown (or at least pretending to not know) to what his voice clips are going towards, though it'd be a bit of a dead giveaway if one of Cortex's lines straight up mentioned Smash. But hey, I remember that the VA who was like "WHAAAAAAAAAT?" in Joker's trailer, that was her actual reaction when learning what she was doing was going to be for Smash.

Also to add onto the previous responses from people who'd later get content into Smash, there was this that we maybe need to keep in mind? Though it might have been before she was informed by Nintendo that the characters were in Smash and that she would voice them?
EDIT: Again, like the TFB person was just asked as part of an interview, but the VA here didn't HAVE to respond to this query about a Smash trailer. Though I guess you could also say the same about the aforementioned Rareware and Grant Kirkhope responses maybe both of which whilst Banjo in Smash was definitively going to be a thing?
That's the interesting part in regards of him responding to the fan: He def indeed didn't have to respond to the fan in question, and while I don't rule out the possibility that he could be leading on the fan with one "answer" only for that be false later on, I just don't know if that's something the VA would really want to do since this is something people REALLY want to see, so idk if he would want to do that sort of thing (I really hope he didn't because I do think that would be highly unnecessary)

It's without a doubt something for Crash, but whether or not it'll be for Smash? We'll see.

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
Sora, as he's another one of my most wanted not in Smash yet.
View attachment 315268
I've seen some theories claiming that the Sephiroth reveal trailer ended too abruptly, almost as if it was done on purpose so it could get a continuation, with that continuation being Sora appearing to help Cloud on his fight against Sephiroth. Yes, I know it sounds like a huge reach, and I've personally lost any hope in Sora getting in, but I'd be lying if I said that there isn't a small part of me that believes our favorite keyblade wielder can still pull it through.

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
https://twitter.com/richie_farley1/status/1394065592945057793 <<<<<<< (Tweet link)

Plugging my own **** here, but I wanted to bring up something that was posted onto Scott Whyte's Instagram story (Crash's VA for Crash 4, who is probably the new Crash VA at this point for the main games)

But basically: His recent Instagram story was him talking about the publicity his recent Instagram post (as some of you might be aware of) has picked up, with him citing one of those articles. His last Instagram story post in question is him reading off part of the article, what was interesting however is how after the “that maybe related to the orange marsupial” did he then turn to the camera with a smile while he said “or not..” only adds on a little more mystery as to what this could be for.

At this point, anyones guess is as good as mines. I'd be VERY surprised if this wasn't Crash Bandicoot related, but what could it be for Crash? That we will have to find out soon.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So who are most of y'all supporting next after Crash get's in?
Probably my remaining top 5 (Hayabusa, Leon, Master Chief, and Tracer). Tails and Dixie would be up there too as I feel their inclusion is long overdue.

Altogether there's 26 characters I'd like to see not including Crash, but I doubt I'd ever be able to find the same level of passion that I have for the orange marsupial. That's because I see Crash's inclusion as pretty much the final ultimate realization of the Smash Bros concept.

Honestly it's going to be hard to find any passion for supporting characters within me if Smash's future is to have Ultimate's roster gutted. It's hard to imagine there would ever be a fair trade.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Probably my remaining top 5 (Hayabusa, Leon, Master Chief, and Tracer). Tails and Dixie would be up there too as I feel their inclusion is long overdue.

Altogether there's 26 characters I'd like to see not including Crash, but I doubt I'd ever be able to find the same level of passion that I have for the orange marsupial. That's because I see Crash's inclusion as pretty much the final ultimate realization of the Smash Bros concept.

Honestly it's going to be hard to find any passion for supporting characters within me if Smash's future is to have Ultimate's roster gutted. It's hard to imagine there would ever be a fair trade.
thats why im hoping that won't be the case

Sakurai has changed his mind on Ridley being too big or Villager not being a fighter so... maybe he'll change his mind on Everyone Is Here being a one time thing right...?

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So this was a pretty interesting video to me:

Rayman and a Sonic character have POSSIBLY been deconfirmed. We'll have to wait and see if TMNT and Street Fighter get confirmed for Brawlhalla. Crowd Cheer Theory sounds very likely to me personally.

If these characters are truly out of the running, then Crash seems even more likely to me. Rayman and a Sonic character are prime E3 candidates.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

Kinda badass way of saying it :) Reminded of that one quote from a review of The Simpsons Movie like "I see the entire history of human civilisation as a prelude to The Simpsons."

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So this was a pretty interesting video to me:

Rayman and a Sonic character have POSSIBLY been deconfirmed. We'll have to wait and see if TMNT and Street Fighter get confirmed for Brawlhalla. Crowd Cheer Theory sounds very likely to me personally.

If these characters are truly out of the running, then Crash seems even more likely to me. Rayman and a Sonic character are prime E3 candidates.
I get Rayman and a new Pokemon, but why Sonic? Don't they have the same names everywhere?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I get Rayman and a new Pokemon, but why Sonic? Don't they have the same names everywhere?
I think it's mainly because Sonic characters have European voice actors, too. For example, Eggman's voiced by Mike Pollock and Kotaro Nakamura in English and Japanese respectively, but he's also voiced by Marc Brettoniere in French and Johannes Oliver Hamm in German. If, for example, Eggman does make it in, he'd have to only be voiced in English and Japanese, because it'd take a lot of effort to hire all those European voice actors, which is a little too hard to do at this stage of the DLC.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think it's mainly because Sonic characters have European voice actors, too. For example, Eggman's voiced by Mike Pollock and Kotaro Nakamura in English and Japanese respectively, but he's also voiced by Marc Brettoniere in French and Johannes Oliver Hamm in German. If, for example, Eggman does make it in, he'd have to only be voiced in English and Japanese, because it'd take a lot of effort to hire all those European voice actors, which is a little too hard to do at this stage of the DLC.
if i am not mistaken tho this is ONLY for crowd cheers and the announcer in other languages so it shouldnt affect them

GolisoPower

Smash Master
if i am not mistaken tho this is ONLY for crowd cheers and the announcer in other languages so it shouldnt affect them
I've been trying to find Pyra & Mythra's voice actors in German, French, Italian, etc., and so far am finding nothing, so yeah, that's a fair point.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It would affect Phoenix Wright though since his speech bubbles for OBJECTION!, TAKE THAT! And HOLD IT! Are translated in every single language

RIP Feenie (probably) :c

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So, how does Crash tie in with Crowd cheer theory, anyway?
Because he needs minimal voice acting, much like Min Min. We can safely assume that doing Crash-related voicework is a pretty light workload for the dev team, considering Crash is most likely in a similar situation to Banjo & Kazooie in the sense that the character only needs one voice actor (Which could most likely be Scott Whyte).

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Because he needs minimal voice acting, much like Min Min. We can safely assume that doing Crash-related voicework is a pretty light workload for the dev team, considering Crash is most likely in a similar situation to Banjo & Kazooie in the sense that the character only needs one voice actor (Which could most likely be Scott Whyte).
Okay...

Another INTERESTING observation today y'all:
https://twitter.com/Canadianguyehh/status/1393243996663779341 <<<< (Twitter link, image below is not my screenshot)View attachment 315193
" Well lookie lookie! It’s #neocortex and #CrashBandicoot working together on a fun new project... no, this one is not another Crash game (or is it?? Haha! 😉 )... I always enjoy sharing mics with @lexlang ... I know we’re supposed to be professionals, but at what point do I ask him for an autograph???? #voiceover #legend #previoushashtagwasregardinglexnotme @crashbandicoot" <<< post caption

And for those that play OTR (On the Run): Crash is voiced by Jess Harnell, not Scott. Scott voiced the character in Crash 4 It's About Time.

But what do y'all think about this? Wumpa League? Commercial? Smash? Anything? (dont think it'll be a brand new game like a Crash 5)

EDIT: https://twitter.com/Canadianguyehh/status/1393261376114659328 (<<< Twitter link)

"Remember, this might NOT be a Crash "GAME". But this is a Crash "PRODUCT". It could be wumpa league, crash team racing sequel, a funny cameo in Spyro 4, crash in smash, the crash cartoon, the beginnings of Crash 5. There's a NUMBER of things this could be We'll wait and see" - Canadian Guy Eh
Would it possibly have anything to do with this, if they are related?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I don't know, as much as I like levelling the playing field when it comes to competition, as someone in the comments said it could just be that they simplified the crowd cheering recording for the pandemic that influenced development of Min Min onward, as they could probably get away with just one team of voices doing a character's crowd cheers across the regions if they wanted to limit voice recording sessions out of COVID necessity.

As a side note I thought this may have affected Rhythm Heaven if they'd call the character the game's title like with Duck Hunt, but it may just be called the same name of "Rhythm Paradise" throughout foreign regions except Korea, and even so that's just when it comes to the crowd cheers the Japanese team could do anyway, seeing as RH doesn't have the multi-language voice actors requirement of other games, like, not even close.

And on that note, I'll soon bow out the thread in E3 anticipation, though I may still post this project I'm working on to the forums.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So the gist of this new theory I guess is that anyone who may require a specific European language (for consistency's sake) may be out of the running because crowd chants/voices for FP2 characters have been mostly only voiced in Japanese and English? And that may include new Pokemon and Sonic characters. Oh, and Rayman may have been disconfirmed according to that leak Papagenos discussed in that video?

I mean, that sucks for anybody who wanted those guys, but since I didn't want Rayman or anymore Pokemon/Sonic characters, I'm kind of relieved. Looks like Ryu Hayabusa, Tales of, and Crash are still in the running! 😊

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
thats why im hoping that won't be the case

Sakurai has changed his mind on Ridley being too big or Villager not being a fighter so... maybe he'll change his mind on Everyone Is Here being a one time thing right...?
It's less a matter of what Sakurai wants, as I'm pretty sure he'd be all for keeping everyone in if possible, and more what's feasible. Mainly meaning licensing for third parties.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's less a matter of what Sakurai wants, as I'm pretty sure he'd be all for keeping everyone in if possible, and more what's feasible. Mainly meaning licensing for third parties.
well, if third party relationships remain good, like no bad blood or one of them being a dumb, i don't think that should be a problem

im very sure snake didn't return in 4 cuz konami was being a dumb cough all those pachislot machines cough

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
well, if third party relationships remain good, like no bad blood or one of them being a dumb, i don't think that should be a problem

im very sure snake didn't return in 4 cuz konami was being a dumb cough all those pachislot machines cough
I wouldn't have minded Konami getting into the Pachinko business if they didn't treat their game division like s*** throughout the 2010s while doing it.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
The main issue seems to be that since there's minimal voice work being done for FP2, it would be odd or inconsistent to have a Sonic character that would only have Japanese and English lines. This is because all of the Sonic characters already in the game have multiple European voice actors. Not an outright deconfirmation, but it's something to consider. This coupled with the DLC Sonic Mii costumes might mean we can't count on seeing another character from their franchise.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The main issue seems to be that since there's minimal voice work being done for FP2, it would be odd or inconsistent to have a Sonic character that would only have Japanese and English lines. This is because all of the Sonic characters already in the game have multiple European voice actors. Not an outright deconfirmation, but it's something to consider. This coupled with the DLC Sonic Mii costumes might mean we can't count on seeing another character from their franchise.
Don’t Pyra and Mythra have their English AND Japanese VOs tho? It was to my understanding that this was for the announcer and crowd cheers in languages other than English/Japanese/Korean only

Top Bottom