• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Right about now, the funk Soul Brother, right about now, the funk soul brother...

It's been nearly a year since the first Crash 4 trailer came out, and that song, the Rockefeller Skank, which played in that trailer, still plays in my head.
Hell yea, and I seriously can't think of a more perfect song for introducing the newest Crash game in a long time. Classic 90's.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
So this is really interesting

(https://twitter.com/jumpbuttoncb/status/1390524766851936257) "So Crash has a "25 before 25" list apparently. 25 things he wants to do before he FULLY turns 25. One of them is playing soccer with a pro, it seems. They're really putting a lot of emphasis on the actual anniversary day itself, huh? ..and what life goals could Crash have...? thinking emoji" - from the tweet

Obviously this is centering around his 25th anniversary, but this story post on Instagram seems to have a 'countdown' kind of vibe towards something. Maybe it's Wumpa League? Smash?

Who knows, but let's all wait and see what happens.

View attachment 314123
Kicking Mario's ass has gotta be in there somewhere.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Crash Bandicoot and... I honestly think I want Dixie Kong, but I doubt that would happen.
Dixie Kong could actually work well for a Challenger Pack, at least in regards to coming with a stage and music. She could come with a Tropical Freeze stage like Homecoming Hijinx or Punch Bowl, and a bunch of Tropical Freeze music like Big Top Bop, Punch Bowl, Grassland Groove, Homecoming Hijinx, Windmill Hill, Sawmill Thrill, Scorch N' Torch, Funky Waters, Current Capers, Frosty Fruits and the final boss theme, or even some tracks from Donkey Kong Country Returns like the DKC remakes, Tidal Terror, etc. A spirit board might be kind of difficult though since all of the really big DK characters are already in the game.

I'll do my best to avoid talking about other characters here in the future, but I just thought I'd give my thoughts on this.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Dixie Kong could actually work well for a Challenger Pack, at least in regards to coming with a stage and music. She could come with a Tropical Freeze stage like Homecoming Hijinx or Punch Bowl, and a bunch of Tropical Freeze music like Big Top Bop, Punch Bowl, Grassland Groove, Homecoming Hijinx, Windmill Hill, Sawmill Thrill, Scorch N' Torch, Funky Waters, Current Capers, Frosty Fruits and the final boss theme. A spirit board might be kind of difficult though since all of the really big DK characters are already in the game.
Yeah. I would vote for the Northern Kremisphere as her stage in the form of a tour stage like Delfino Plaza and the new Final Fantasy VII stage. I mean, she did star in the game that world appeared in after all.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Yeah. I would vote for the Northern Kremisphere as her stage in the form of a tour stage like Delfino Plaza and the new Final Fantasy VII stage. I mean, she did star in the game that world appeared in after all.
That could work too.
Obligatory "Hey plumber boy, your worst nightmare has arrived!"
I really hope that if he's coming, Crash's trailer involves Mario and Sonic. It would be such a Sakurai thing for him to do too.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Lemme just save you a click and give you the crux of this article:

"If I had any influence, I sure would love to see that as well but it’s something out of my hands entirely!" says TFB Creative Producer Lou Studdert.

This doesn't deconfirm Crash by any means. Lou's basically reiterating that TFB specifically isn't in charge of whether or not Crash gets in; it's all up to Activision.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

"If I had any influence, I sure would love to see that as well but it’s something out of my hands entirely!" says TFB Creative Producer Lou Studdert.

This doesn't deconfirm Crash by any means. Lou's basically reiterating that TFB specifically isn't in charge of whether or not Crash gets in; it's all up to Activision.
I have a feeling that some people won't be able to figure out the difference...

TDDolphin

Smash Ace

It's like the Team Ninja director commenting on Ryu Hayabusa's chances last month. I've learned my lesson after initially thinking that Ryu was disconfirmed from those interviews. I forgot that negotiations for 3rd Party characters for Smash likely go on between Nintendo and the actual higher-ups of companies like Activision and Koei Tecmo, not the developers underneath them. So, yeah, I'm in agreement that this probably doesn't mean anything. But, nice to know that some people at Toys For Bob would be okay with Crash in Smash 👍

Last edited:

Alsorash

Smash Cadet
Why interviewers have to ask these kind of questions is beyond me. Hou could they answered?

HolsterYerGuns

Smash Cadet

Companies said the same thing with interviews on steve and banjo so.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

And before even it being up to Activision, it's up to Nintendo to approach them first. I lost count of how many devs from different IPs have said they love the idea, but that it's not up to them lol. It's been a known thing for a long while now.

Companies said the same thing with interviews on steve and banjo so.
And other characters too.

Why interviewers have to ask these kind of questions is beyond me. Hou could they answered?
Yeah I don't get it either. Everyone wants to join the party, the answer is gonna be the same unless a dev is against it for whatever reason. Either way, Interviewers aren't gonna get leaked confirmation of someone joining in by asking endless times, lol

Last edited:

HolsterYerGuns

Smash Cadet
And before even it being up to Activision, it's up to Nintendo to approach them first. I lost count of how many devs from different IPs have said they love the idea, but that it's not up to them lol. It's been a known thing for a long while now.

And other characters too.

Yeah I don't get it either. Everyone wants to join the party, the answer is gonna be the same unless a dev is against it for whatever reason. Either way, Interviewers aren't gonna get leaked confirmation of someone joining in by asking endless times, lol
Take the case with kiryu for example for some reason the dev basically didn't want to him to be in any fighting at all for some reason but I think people ended up asking for majima instead.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Take the case with kiryu for example for some reason the dev basically didn't want to him to be in any fighting at all for some reason but I think people ended up asking for majima instead.
Yep. And on the opposite extreme, we had Travis Touchdown, which… well, we know how that ended, despite everyone and Suda51 himself saying countless times that they wanted him in. It doesn't ever matter what any dev says, because in the end it all falls down to what Nintendo wants themselves, and in which shape or form at that. That's why I stopped caring about interviews in general, and honestly it keeps things less predictable, which is probably more exciting that way anyways 🤔

HolsterYerGuns

Smash Cadet
Yep. And on the opposite extreme, we had Travis Touchdown, which… well, we know how that ended, despite everyone and Suda51 himself saying countless times that they wanted him in. It doesn't ever matter what any dev says, because in the end it all falls down to what Nintendo wants themselves, and in which shape or form at that. That's why I stopped caring about interviews in general, and honestly it keeps things less predictable, which is probably more exciting that way anyways 🤔
Same really thing really Its more of to let us know what would be their opinion.

HolsterYerGuns

Smash Cadet

I know this is just a small stupid teeny tiny obvious question but you know what why not we have not had anything news related so far other than just an interview which was nothing so here is this just for fun,If crash gets included would they put in the copyright list just activision or they would include toys for bob or they would include the 3 of them along with beenox?

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace

I know this is just a small stupid teeny tiny obvious question but you know what why not we have not had anything news related so far other than just an interview which was nothing so here is this just for fun,If crash gets included would they put in the copyright list just activision or they would include toys for bob or they would include the 3 of them along with beenox?
Activision, no question since they own the rights.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Well, at this point, I think it's safe to say my prediction of a May reveal, 2 months after Pyra/Mythra came out, is likely not gonna happen ☹ Unless it's gonna be a late May reveal... I guess the next character will be revealed next month after all.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well, at this point, I think it's safe to say my prediction of a May reveal, 2 months after Pyra/Mythra came out, is likely not gonna happen ☹ Unless it's gonna be a late May reveal... I guess the next character will be revealed next month after all.
There is a faint hope... if there’s NOTHING revealed tonight in terms of spirit events or tourneys. Iirc it’s always been like this before a reveal

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
There is a faint hope... if there’s NOTHING revealed tonight in terms of spirit events or tourneys. Iirc it’s always been like this before a reveal
Actually before we got Steve announced we had the weekend tourney announced so don’t give up hope even if an event is announced.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
While IDK if this applies to every time someone talks about their character joining Smash in an interview, from what I recall there's been stuff like:

-Rareware responding to a Banjo Smash tweet with "if that were to happen, we wouldn't be the ones to announce it!"
-Grant Kirkhope misdirecting a Banjo Smash thing with "I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you..."
-Mojang people (?) getting asked about Steve in Smash at a Minecraft convention, even though Steve's been in the negotiations since 2015 or so
-Some SNK person getting asked about who'd he want in Smash and jokingly say a joke SNK character answer or something
Any other examples in Ultimate?

Would Toys for Bob anyway be consulted on Crash's inclusion even if he did take some level of inspiration from Crash 4? Well they're not as intrinsic to the character as Rare was for Banjo, they're not THE team that'd need to be credited as their studio despite not owning the rights like Atlus for Joker, Mojang for Steve, PlatinumGames for Bayonetta and maybe other examples like Camelot for Golden Sun stuff and all the other original game studios listed in the credits like Treasure (Sephiroth may reference FF7 Remake with a taunt but that doesn't mean Square Enix Business Division 1 was specifically mentioned IDK). It begs the question if TFB would even have such a hand in Crash's inclusion even with Crash 4 representation when the marsupial has been the product of 4 different studios' vision in the Activision revival years alone.

Not to mention the guy's just (no disrespect intended) a creative producer at the studio? Could he just know (or lead on) as little as those Mojang guys IF TFB are even in the know in the first place? And simply clarifying that he has no choice in the matter just reminds one of the Rareware statement. It's like of course people are inevitably going to ask industry people about Smash, people asked about Smash those 4 times too and it meant nothing in the end, and for all this talk of "why would he have said anything? why couldn't he kept his mouth shut and said nothing" or whatever, it's like what else would he say to an inevitable question that doesn't eradicate the existence of a fighter by being asked? No comment? That'd be a little suspect sounding, and from what he said does it really change anything from before? It wasn't even going out of their way to say "no plans at the moment" or "we talked with Nintendo and got no response" but rather "I'm just a creative producer at one of Crash's various recent studios, I have no say or knowhow in the matter, but I can say it'd be cool". Yet people will act like it's the former.

But hey, we may finally find out what the case is in a month anyway, right? So another thing for funsies, would Crash's trailer totally focus on interacting with Sonic and Mario? The thing I wonder is if that kind of 3-way rivalry was also kinda a thing in Japanese territories or not, if that would even have to be asked as the trailer maybe could go a bit more Western with its references kinda like Ridley's "hits the big time!" tagline. I hear Sonic isn't as popular over there despite being their own creation, but wasn't the Saturn bigger over there if anything? Maybe they'd see it as the battle of the polygonal 5th generation of consoles with N64's plumber himself, the company mascot for the Saturn even if he wasn't as prolific on that console as he should have been, and one of, if not also THE popular character of mascot level associated with the console whose company actually isn't officially involved with Smash which may or may not lead to awkward sidestepping around that fact. Everyone's dream mashup!

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm actually hoping that we don't have a reveal before E3. The reason I say that is that I've seen some people think that because of Pyra/Mythra the rest of the pass is going to be niche too. But the fact that the next reveal is very likely to be at E3 and was planned to be at E3 reassures me that we will likely get a big character there, notably Crash or another western character like Dragonborn. Now if CP10 gets announced in a standard Sakurai Presents video, that makes it less likely that the character will be big since they did save the heavy hitters (Steve if it wasn't for Covid and Sephiroth at TGA) for big events.

And I'm fine with waiting one more month. It's not too long now and while I've been visiting Smashboards everyday, I'm not anxiously waiting for the next reveal as I used to be. Plenty of other games have been taking up my time (Xenoblade 2 says hello) and I've been using these boards more to talk about characters and video games themselves rather than actually discussing who's likely since we are at a standstill right now.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm actually hoping that we don't have a reveal before E3. The reason I say that is that I've seen some people think that because of Pyra/Mythra the rest of the pass is going to be niche too. But the fact that the next reveal is very likely to be at E3 and was planned to be at E3 reassures me that we will likely get a big character there, notably Crash or another western character like Dragonborn. Now if CP10 gets announced in a standard Sakurai Presents video, that makes it less likely that the character will be big since they did save the heavy hitters (Steve if it wasn't for Covid and Sephiroth at TGA) for big events.

And I'm fine with waiting one more month. It's not too long now and while I've been visiting Smashboards everyday, I'm not anxiously waiting for the next reveal as I used to be. Plenty of other games have been taking up my time (Xenoblade 2 says hello) and I've been using these boards more to talk about characters and video games themselves rather than actually discussing who's likely since we are at a standstill right now.
For better or worse, the current situation is a bit more complicated than that. It's true that E3 usually has big reveals, but it's also true that Smash likes to save the "lesser" characters for the end. It doesn't help that we've only had one instance of both overlapping (the E3 where the Mii Fighters and Palutena were announced), so we can't say for certain if it'll happen now. While I'm not saying to stop hoping, I just wanted to clarify that.

Top Bottom